Remove post counts

Remove Post Counts ?  

1488 members have voted

1. 1. Remove Post Counts ?

• Yes - Remove
    • No - Keep
    • Keep - But only display in profile

Quite a debate here guys, i started playing rs in April 2004, used tip.it (and others who shall not be mentioned) from almost the same time to get a "feel " for the game, i only joined the forums within the last 8 months or so which accounts for my low post count. Does that mean i can't be trusted??

I have watched, read and somtimes replyed when i have felt the need to express my own idea/opinion. Normally i have a good laugh at some of the debates and more often than not i learn something i would'nt have learned through playing the game until a later stage.

Post counts mean nothing, they are there because some users liked the idea of seeing how many posts they have made to date. It is no indication of how trustworthy a user is just because they have made many posts. How can any number tell you that a user is trustworthy?

Does "Honest Joe 1,000,000" sound like a decent trustworthy car saleman?? :-k

Keep the numbers in a private part of your profile if you like, but there is no reason to have them in public show, although i do like the titles you get when you have reached a certain amount of posts, would be nice if they could be displayed without the numbers, that way you have no idea how many posts you need to "advance to the next level", lets keep the levelling to the game shall we??

I personally will vote to get rid of them, they obviously are causing way too much trouble than was initially intended

Dracofragger.png

first drag drop (skirt) 21/08/06, second (spear) 29/09/07

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Human beings need something to aim for.

Small correction, caligula101 said that, not me. :P

Apologies, I knew it was him but I was quoting him from your quote but I did it wrong.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

I dont think it should be removed, its not causing that big of a problem, the spamming over postcount ist that big here, compared to some other forums (rsr *cough*). But it still does help posting, including good posts. If tipit had as many posts as the official forums (which has about 10m posts per forum, and no spam), then we wouldnt need a post count, just like in official forums. As long as the spamming dosent get out of hand, I think we should keep it.

How do you know spamming over post count isn't 'big' here? How do you know spamming hasn't been getting out of hand? How do you know that the mods aren't just dealing with it?

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

So does my shiny new post count make me the most trustworthy person in this community?

have I accomplished the greatest "achievement" ?

Anything can be manipulated (spamming useless posts to achieve a high count is a form of manipulation)

:lol: Nice one. But to be honest if you had that high of a post count, I probably would trust you more than someone with 1 post count.

lope6jw0.jpg

Nice one. But to be honest if you had that high of a post count, I probably would trust you more than someone with 1 post count.

Exactly. Postcount reflects how long you have been here. You guys keep saying how hard the mods here work. Then you say there is loads of spam on the board. They both seem to contradict eachother.

How do you know spamming over post count isn't 'big' here? How do you know spamming hasn't been getting out of hand? How do you know that the mods aren't just dealing with it

The same reason that you seem to know that spamming is a problem here.

Nice analogy. Pity it's totally wrong. Post count is not a critical element of the forum, whereas the wheels of a bike are.

Can I ask you then what is the critical element of this forum?

Exactly. Postcount reflects how long you have been here. You guys keep saying how hard the mods here work. Then you say there is loads of spam on the board. They both seem to contradict eachother.

How about this?

There is a lot of spam on the boards. The mods work hard to clean all of this spam. More spam comes. The cycle repeats.

foÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâ÷rum Audio pronunciation of "forum" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fÃÆÃâÃâôrm, fr-)

n. pl. foÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâ÷rums, also foÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâ÷ra (fÃÆÃâÃâôr, fr)

1. The public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city that was the assembly place for judicial activity and public business.

2. A public meeting place for open discussion.

3. A medium of open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper or a radio or television program.

An Internet forum is a facility on the World Wide Web for holding discussions, or the web application software used to provide the facility. Web-based forums, which date from around 1995, perform a similar function as the dial-up bulletin boards and Internet newsgroups that were numerous in the 1980s and 1990s. A sense of virtual community often develops around forums that have regular users. Technology, computer games, and politics are popular areas for forum themes, but there are forums for a huge number of different topics [1].

The main purpose of a forum is to discuss various topics - not to raise one's postcount. This forum is a RuneScape fansite forum. Thus the main purpose of this forum is to discuss various aspects of the game RuneScape - not to raise our RuneScape fansite forum post count.

cescsig.jpg

Is it really that hard to understand? The mods here work hard because of the amount of spam and junk that gets posted. Lots of crap results in lots of work removing it, even if you don't notice.

The server, the software, the database, the users that actually have a clue, and the staff. NOT an arbitrary click counter you put so much faith in.

This forum is a RuneScape fansite forum. Thus the main purpose of this forum is to discuss various aspects of the game RuneScape - not to raise our RuneScape fansite forum post count.

thats not entirely true, i havent looked at anything dealing with runescape for about a year and a half now :D . OT and M&M is my home.

EDIT: add something else.

Keep - But only display in profile = 22

Yes - Remove = 33

No - Keep = 44

22+33=55 the majority dont want to see post counts under your user name and joined date.

22+44=66 the majority also wants the post count to be kept track of one way or another.

i like having it the way it is, but if you did take it away or move it i probably wouldnt notice for a few days, and once i did notice i wouldnt care all that much.

what is fun is seeing a good discussion, thats what forums are really about :P .

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Post count doesn't mean a thing, only creates more spam. Im all for removing it

~Bepo

Because bepo is always right

RSN: Z A M 0 (it's a zero)

74 att - 45 def - 76 str - 72 hp - 52 pray - 91 magic

Feel free to give me a shout, private is always ON

So does my shiny new post count make me the most trustworthy person in this community?

Have my babies.

Okay, that's just scary. :? :| -.- :-s

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

have I accomplished the greatest "achievement" ?

Anything can be manipulated (spamming useless posts to achieve a high count is a form of manipulation)

0MgZz! 1337!!11 And yes I would put more trust in you with a link (especially as your a mod), than someone new to these boards.

And plus I've only ever seen one mod turn bad. :P

If post counts don't matter why would it matter if theyre removed or not

If post counts don't matter, then we should get rid of them because they take up space and it can make the forums run slower. Especially on a high-traffic forum such as this one...

I haven't bothered to add but I doubt the percentages show fractions.

Aye..

The percentages are more like:

32.911392405063291139240506329114 %

44.665461121157323688969258589512 %

22.423146473779385171790235081374 %

(I'm bored.)

IRKAa.jpg