Remove post counts

Remove Post Counts ?  

1488 members have voted

1. 1. Remove Post Counts ?

• Yes - Remove
    • No - Keep
    • Keep - But only display in profile

Post counts can sort of show how dedicated you are (for example, a person who is on every day and has a lot of good stuff to contribute would have more posts then somebody who joined a few months ago and hasn't posted since). If somebody is spamming to get a higher postcount, it is sort of weird, because it's just a number, you aren't going to win 1 million dollars or anything. Some people do enjoy seeing how much they have contribute though, so I'm going to vote display them only in your profile.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put remove them for being judged by joining the tip.it community only awhile back and not being taken seriously.

Another good point. There seems to be a stigma attached with having a low post count. New members do struggle to be taken seriously in some cases.

Offline and unavailable.

To me post counts is like a double edge sword. I agree with the author of this thread with his statements in his first post. I think in general those statments are true because the the audience is immature. Seems like the average age in Runescape is getting younger and younger. Anyways, running a phpBB myself my members and I enjoy post counts and ranks. It is just a cool little fun feature to have. Since my phpBB is small I don't run into people spamming for post count, but we still have spam regardless because that seems to be the nature of people. I disagree with the decision to let the post count thing to be left up to the users. I do not think the users are a reliable source to make such decisions. Rather I think the Admins/Mods should decide if it is worth it or not. Is it really a problem?

When it comes down to it you can't make everyone happy. No matter what there will be some people the ruin something for the rest of us. The best thing we can do as a community is to discourage such behaviours.

Ultimately I trust the Admins/Mods to make decisions concerning the forums over the mass populous any day.

Next topic should be, "Which Mods to have installed", hehe I am just kidding ^_^

That's what I was saying earlier, though I don't blame you for not reading the rest of the eleventy pages.

The mods & admins should make the decision as they know what's best for the forum. Just because a majority might want something doesn't mean it's right. However, fortunately, it seems that the majority do want something doing about the post counts.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

i agree with the people who say that it should(drumroll)............................be removed.

It is just to tempting for spammers. I like the rank system, as it shows me who has alot of experience on this board. But maybe you should do something like High Impact Halo did, and create a forum lottery. Every 2 weeks you choose someone to get a custom avatar. Everyone else gets nothing.

reportbuttanerfb6.gif

The poll is there to decide what the majority want, you can look at that poll anyway you like however lets look at the facts. More people want it to stay as it is while less people want it changed. The admins should do what the majority want as

a)that's what the poll is there for

b)if they make a decision that isn't popular, they'll be in trouble.

You can look at it in the way you think, more people want it changed than those that are for it? Well that would be wrong. General elections, if the winner gets 40% and the remaining two parties both get 30% they don't let the other two parties remain in power and share a joint leadership because they have a bigger majority when combined, no the party with 40% gets office.

i agree with the people who say that it should(drumroll)............................be removed.

It is just to tempting for spammers. I like the rank system, as it shows me who has alot of experience on this board. But maybe you should do something like High Impact Halo did, and create a forum lottery. Every 2 weeks you choose someone to get a custom avatar. Everyone else gets nothing.

Like everyone said, removing will just create all the more reason to spam, IMO It won't help at all.

(Also, I just noticed that post count 1000+ has a comma in it now.)

All Quests completed

99 Thieving achieved on January 10th, 2008

99 Defense achieved on August 3rd, 2008

85 Slayer achieved on July 31st, 2008

6 Dragon boot drops, 14 Whip drops

What we really need to do is get those 200 some odd votes to change there minds to remove instead of just on the profile. Then have a revote, that is how elections are won :P

hehehe ^_^

Oh and I have a comment to these people about the majority BS...

This poll doesn't show us anything. All it does is tell us 1,000+ opinions. Last time I check there where 100,000+ registered users (Umm a few moments ago). So how is less then 10% voter turn out a majority?

If we can't get a good voter turn out then such polls are useless. In such a case of such low voter turn out I think it is appropriate for the people that installed and maintain the forums to use their best judgment.

Also, I assume this poll has an extended time period because there is a low voter turn out. So I guess this whole thread and poll came short of expected results. But that is just my assumptions, and we all know what assumptions make us.

Like everyone said, removing will just create all the more reason to spam

How?

b)if they make a decision that isn't popular, they'll be in trouble.

Haha, how's that? Use of this board is a privilege, not a right. What authority are the admins going to have to answer to?

As for this being like an election - it isn't. It's like having an election run between two opponents, then splitting one of the candidates into two options - making him require twice as many votes to win.

The bottom line is that this poll is to solicit opinions, not to make a decision. As of right now it is showing that the majority of users want the post count removing from next to posts and the poll is serving its purpose. And for anyone that hasn't been reading all the way through, I didn't create the poll - an admin did.

The bottom line is that this poll is to solicit opinions, not to make a decision.

Many of our users have been debating the topic of whether or not user post counts should be removed from our forums or not.

Due to the overwhelming response to the debate , We have decided to leave it up to our users to make the decision.

A poll has been set up on the topic debating the issue which will run for 7 days. The results will be the final decision in the matter, so we ask that all registered users cast their vote.

The topic and poll can be found Here.

*You must be a registered forum member to read the topic and cast your vote.

This may not be your intention, but the post by Albosky makes it seem as if this poll is the deciding factor. Do you know for sure that it is not? I know your original thread was probably not intended for such, but perhaps that is what it has become.

I really don't mind, but if some one pushed a double loop in my throat ad I had to make a decision; I'd not remove them. Honestly, I haven't seen anyone with more than 1000 posts that spams all over the place. Besides, if they do, they get banned (at least I hope/assume so).

And what does post count tell about your maturity, respectability or knowlegde anyway? If I want to know if a person is an respectable and honest person, who knows what he's saying, I can just check his last posts about a similar topic. That's how I figured out mods are actually extra-terrestrial. :-$

Bill Hicks[/url]":dhj2kan9]Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.

heinzny2.jpg

There will always be people who are so "addicted" to the post count that they will be furious when it gets removed.

Oh well, it'll stay a dream :-s

if thats all they are worried bout they need lives, sorry but its true... other things to be worried bout then your post count, toss it

Artef.png

This may not be your intention, but the post by Albosky makes it seem as if this poll is the deciding factor. Do you know for sure that it is not? I know your original thread was probably not intended for such, but perhaps that is what it has become.

That was a mistake on my part, I hadn't seen that. However it is still true, the admins could just do what they want but out of courtesy they're seeing what the users think. Whats more it will seem like the admins disregarded the users opinions when they make their decision based on the poll - or at least it will for those who can't get it into their heads how the poll works.

Since everyone just wants to see a high number and high rank just max out everyone with 50,000 posts and turn them off so they never go any higher :P

If you see spam you can report them with the ! sign at the top cornor of each message.

oh rly??...does it mather? mods have better things to do then check every '!' they get....

why are people from belgium so extremly stupid?

If you see spam you can report them with the ! sign at the top cornor of each message.

oh rly??...does it mather? mods have better things to do then check every '!' they get....

why are people from belgium so extremly stupid?

What's your problem?

Bill Hicks[/url]":dhj2kan9]Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.

heinzny2.jpg

Oh and I have a comment to these people about the majority BS...

This poll doesn't show us anything. All it does is tell us 1,000+ opinions. Last time I check there where 100,000+ registered users (Umm a few moments ago). So how is less then 10% voter turn out a majority?

It isnt a majority of the WHOLE COMMUNITY; it's a majority of ALL WHO VOTED

Those who haven't voted, either

1) don't come here enough to know about the poll, and therefore the existance of post count is irrelevant to them

or

2) cant be bothered to vote, because they dont give a darn, or are too lazy to care.

edit: spelling correction

well I personally like the titles. it adds some humor to the forums. maybe keep them andget rid of the post count being displayed?

Pm me if you need anything proof-read, I may not be very good, but I am always willing to help.

A Seal Clubber is me!

A Oxygenarin is me!

6*9=42

1) Removing the post count will in no way stop spam. People just like to be ignorant. Although, it would help to remove those who are only spamming to reach a certain post count/rank.

2) It is the members of the forum who decide whether the posts should be removed or not, because this could create spam. How? People would constantly whine about not getting their "say" into this decision that effects the whole of the forums.

3) Everyone worries about spam, yet there is this topic.. which hopefully doesn't increase the post count.. that has 24+ pages with everyone repeating the same phrases, and either agreeing or disagreeing. Voicing your own opinions is not a bad thing. It is what these forums are for. Everyone likes to hear a bird sing, but if they bird won't stop.........

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

Satisfy both sides: Keep it in profile only.

yeh, i agree with that. Although i think one of the admins said that post count takes up web space or something like that, so maybe keeping them in the profile could still be a problem. But then again, the arguement is mainly about spammers v non spammers lol. I think the admins should chose :), but that's only because they'll remove it if they decide :P

90 Combat 1900+ Total

99 Crafting 99 Cooking 99 Firemaking

99 Herblore 99 Fletching 98 Farming

silverandblackfinishvr8.gif