Remove post counts

Remove Post Counts ?  

1488 members have voted

1. 1. Remove Post Counts ?

• Yes - Remove
    • No - Keep
    • Keep - But only display in profile

Well I voted automatically on leaving the post count, but after reading this debate I have some second thoughts. I know that spamm which was written just to increase the post count is really annoying for mods, and for normal forum users.

The post count however is something which makes you get some 'respect' to some of the forum users, but it's unhelpful for the new users. After thinking the whole thing off again I think post count should be removed ( but ranks should stay to give the overall knowledge about seniority|activity of the user) or it should be kept in profiles, for the curious ones.

I hate when I want to say something in a serious topic, because I have some problems with using proper words, which annoys me because of my arrogant thoughts that I'm good at English.

Hope you understand what I wanted to say :wink:

messpsddark7bs.gif

Ty pjb21 for this awesome avvy!

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for profile only. My second choice would have been to remove it entirely.

It seems the people voting to have it removed - while holding a majority - are watching their vote get split.

They're voting to have it moved, not removed. It's not being split - those are compromise votes. Although post counts might as well be removed if that ends up being what happens.

I don't really care if the post count goes, it is pretty sad if you think spamming to 7 million something posts makes ya special.

Can't you just bam problem spammers?!

- The Yellow and Black Attack -

Removing the post count will not make spam go away.

We already have a system to report it.

3) Everyone worries about spam, yet there is this topic.. which hopefully doesn't increase the post count.. that has 24+ pages with everyone repeating the same phrases, and either agreeing or disagreeing. Voicing your own opinions is not a bad thing. It is what these forums are for. Everyone likes to hear a bird sing, but if they bird won't stop......

If we take post counts away. People will spam us/or mods to bring it back.

Is there away to (Profile) Turn on/off the post count For each person. BUT keep the titles in the margin ?? i like the titles

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: \' \'

Joined Runescape: 23/01/02 |||. Retired from Runescape: 07/07/2007

[hide=Quotes]

Elfs creating a crystal Axe would be like GreenPeace creating a Nuclear Powered Harpoon for killing seals...

"Level 1 sailing: ability to build a failboat.'
[/hide]

half_banner.gif

Drops: Ahrims Hood, Guthans set FULL (minus legs), dragon half shield, dragon legs/skirt

Guest TaDaraCampbell
There's always going to be spammers! Regardless if they remove post counts. Especially when there are new members coming in everyday!

And plus its just an additional fun feature of the forum! :wink:

Yes but you would get rid of the spammers who are spamming just to get their post count up, which would mean less work for us.

Also I don't see how the post count can be seen as fun. Fun as in 'lets see how high many times I can post in a day'?

peche: I'm not understanding what you are saying.

its about as fun as gaining lvls in runescape, if not "funner" for me, it encourages you to keep going, and keep "leveling", i mean c'mon... its like who plays runescape cuz it's "fun", im still to meet the person, i dont play runescape cuz its fun... because simply, it isnt, its a game so its addicting and has pretty much become life.

Could you do this:

Next time you log on you get a message:

Would you like to:

<> Enable Posts

<>disable Posts

_______OK________

It saves it to your profile and what ever you chose will appear/not appear

And what ever option you choose EVERYONE is HAPPY! \' :thumbsup: :lol: :D :pray: =D>

Joined Runescape: 23/01/02 |||. Retired from Runescape: 07/07/2007

[hide=Quotes]

Elfs creating a crystal Axe would be like GreenPeace creating a Nuclear Powered Harpoon for killing seals...

"Level 1 sailing: ability to build a failboat.'
[/hide]

half_banner.gif

Drops: Ahrims Hood, Guthans set FULL (minus legs), dragon half shield, dragon legs/skirt

We already have a system to report it.

That still wastes both our and the moderators time.

Whats more displaying it optionally will solve nothing, if you meant it was an option to turn OUR OWN post count off/on then the spammers/people who see it as an achievement will just have it turned on. If you meant it was an option to turn off OTHER PEOPLES then it won't do anything as no one will know who has it turned off.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

I voted to keep.

Btw, I don't know if this would help the situation in anyway, but what if there was a limited post count every day for every user (except for admins and mods).

You gain a rank once you've "proven" yourself worthy of posting sensible enough and not to be a spammer. Then the limit would be taken away and people would be free to post as much as they wanted. If they take advantage, this privilege can be taken away and/or further action taken if necessary.

So if people want to be able to post as many times as they would like in a day. They'd have to post "non-spam-wise" otherwise it's tough luck for them.

People who post pointless posts and constantly spam whilst in the "limit rank" would be punished or even banned, because why should they use these forums if all they are going to do is abuse it, they've been warned haven't they?!

There are lots of cons and pros for this, although being ranked in such a way could possibly trigger stero-typing and jealousy. Might be abit more trouble than it's worth but I reckon you should take it into consideration?

-Rush

Ok I thought so, just wondered if it was any good lol.

Well, it looks like at the moment that the post counts are going to stay.

I like to see how many posts I've done (not how many posts I've gained through spam.) so thats great for me \'

I know That my posts are good quality, as I take great care to spell all words correctly and post in complete sentences. So when I look at my post count I can say: "Thats 430 good quality posts you've got there Ross" I don't know if that's sad but it makes me happy.

Post counts should be kept because it allows you to see who is just a noob trying to spam... for example, if you saw someone with one post count who is flaming.... yeah...

Also, if I left for a year and came back, I would have been forgotten of and be considered a noob :P

Maybe they should at a new rule: DO NOT DOUBLEPOST. Most forums have it. On my forums i have it too but i'm soo nice that i just copy and past it. And everybody who see double post should report it. Don't know. Its just a suggestion. And they need to be sanctions. Donno.

i hate forums where you cant double post, like say, you have a HUGE dustdevil log, you cant post it all.. and then nobody posts so you can never add the whole thing,

My dustdevil log fit on here but crossfire39's doesn't

timeoutsmad.png

DK Drops: 65 Rings, 9 Muds, 44 Axes, 8 Seers

Dragon Drops : 2 Chains, 2 Legs, 2 Skirts, 9 Meds, 6 Halves, 1 Spear, 20 Axes, 9 Boots

God Wars Drops : 3 B Hilts, 1 Z Hilt, 3 B Boots, 1 A Skirt, 1 A Chest, 4 B Tops, 1 B Tasset, 1 Steam, 7 Shards

I'd rather they had it available only in your profiles. That way you could check if someone really knows what they are talking about, but you wouldn't spam to increase it.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

similar to the democrats blaming the green party for losing gore the election in 2000, i blame the 'keep - show in profile' for the 'yes - remove' option's failure.

LOL :lol: You really shouldn't blame anyone or anything.

People expressed how they felt in what is a truly fair poll. no option was shoved aside here. If people had really wanted the post count eliminated, then they would have voiced that. But deep down inside, a lot of people don't want to lose track of their info. So just sit back and relax. Things have gone as they were meant to be.

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

i vote they hsould stay. Sure they encourage people to spam but I'm sure nobody likes to go to a link from some1 with a post count of 2 do they? :ohnoes: It shows either loyal tip.iters, or massvie spammers who will just get banned. Definately should stay. Makes me know a good ti.iter from a bad 1.

mini193.png

Doing a little bit of everything

we need to keep them. post counts do more than encourage spam...they allow trust to be gained among other users...

true..someone could build a slight post count and then be just as untrustworthy as a person coming in with 0 posts...but it is a lot less likely.

i know in the pking section many people post pking videos. if someone with 0-200 post count posts one...i know i myself would not download it and if i did not recognize the person's name i would scan it as well. (and probably still not download it...any1 who knew me on rs would know why i would not)