A History of Runescape

dwarfdude3

Recently I have been looking around for some history of this game, and I've gotta say, I havn't found anything that great so far.

I've been kind of curious of what Runescape was like back in the very early days, know about signifigant early updates, events, or players. Seeing a really old Runescape map would be pretty cool too.

However, seeing as I have only been playing since the release of RS2 (and took a really long break for a while), I don't think I know enough about the early days to make a summary of the history of the game myself.

Are there some veteran players out there that would like to take this up? Or perhaps some of the older players could just comment on what they remember and I can try to piece it together myself.

I think in the past when mining.. you may

slip and fail to hit the rock

fail to mine rock...

PLUS

SLEEPING BAG!!!!!!!

Hey Nicrune007 , Whats Your Username?

twss.jpg

99 Ranged on 2/6/07 99 Hit Points on 9/5/08 99 Defense on 26/4/08 99 Attack on 14/2/09 99 Strength on 25/2/09 99 Slayer on 13/9/09\:D/

Glad to hear your interest in the glory days of RuneScape! :D

You should check out some fun, classic pictures I've posted in the topic "new ones remember, old ones get schooled!" They illustrate some fun times of 2001-2002. :)

Hm, I'm not sure if I could write an entire history of RuneScape's early days. There was so much going on! Although, I can tell one fun tidbit. ;)

When the wilderness first opened, it was not long after rune items had been first released, and this was also before the make-over mage or anything like that. There was no rune plate mail, yet, so most people wore a rune chain mail. I personally wore an adamantite plate mail, because I thought it looked nicer.

Anyway! You could see the colour of people's sleeves when they wore the chainmail, and I remember that I could identify some very dangerous players from far away just by their sleeve colour. I recall Robin Hood2, Who Da Best, and others like Terminator and Tiwi having red sleeves. I remember being very scared of people with red sleeves before I even checked the name or level. ;)

Believe me, in the early days of the wilderness, you did not want to be in a crossfire with Who Da Best or Robin Hood2! :lol: I think Oldmanschild and/or Danny1880 had red sleeves on their shirts, as well, eek!

-GregEchidna

Third player in RuneScape to 99 attack, strength, defense and hitpoints.

Glad to hear your interest in the glory days of RuneScape! :D

You should check out some fun, classic pictures I've posted in the topic "new ones remember, old ones get schooled!" They illustrate some fun times of 2001-2002. :)

Hm, I'm not sure if I could write an entire history of RuneScape's early days. There was so much going on! Although, I can tell one fun tidbit. ;)

When the wilderness first opened, it was not long after rune items had been first released, and this was also before the make-over mage or anything like that. There was no rune plate mail, yet, so most people wore a rune chain mail. I personally wore an adamantite plate mail, because I thought it looked nicer.

Anyway! You could see the colour of people's sleeves when they wore the chainmail, and I remember that I could identify some very dangerous players from far away just by their sleeve colour. I recall Robin Hood2, Who Da Best, and others like Terminator and Tiwi having red sleeves. I remember being very scared of people with red sleeves before I even checked the name or level. ;)

Believe me, in the early days of the wilderness, you did not want to be in a crossfire with Who Da Best or Robin Hood2! :lol: I think Oldmanschild and/or Danny1880 had red sleeves on their shirts, as well, eek!

You also forgot Ladykilljoy :) I wasn't around at the VERY beginning of RS. But I played it for like 2 1/2 years :D (missed phats.. DANG IT!) Anyhow..

In the beginning, there was only 2 cities, Falador and Varrock! There was no wilderness, people could attack people, ANYWHERE! This of course is bad and it's chaotic (Though I'm guessing it wasn't too bad because there wasn't a LOT of people playing) They then made the wilderness, added cities and whatnot, members came out I think next. Then they brought out where you could see peoples levels even outside the wilderness (I was there for that!) then fatigue came out, as well as beds being able to be slept in. Failed, they brought out sleeping bags to help out with it. Then the talk of RS2 was out, it came out. And the rest is obvious history :D

I think in the past when mining.. you may

slip and fail to hit the rock

fail to mine rock...

PLUS

SLEEPING BAG!!!!!!!

Sorry, wrong about the mining lol. Pretty much with mining.. You had to rapidly click the rock... Mining coal and whatnot was really... really... SLOW! I hated it.. But I did it anyway, coal rocks outside mining guild woot! I hated clicking over and over rapidly. Then they brought out when the rocks change color to know ore is there, still rapid clicking though.

And yes, sleeping bags! Had to spell out a word! or was it answer a question? One of those...

Wolfy is Officially Retired.

I miss you all (Well, mostly my friends n stuff)

If you want to talk to me, send me a message, I check the boards daily. :D

i remeber when i started rs, i was able to choose between 5 classes,

-adventurer (given axe and tinderbox)

-warrior(sword and brnze sq with better combat stats)

-archer (bow and arrow with better ranger stats)

-magician (some runes and better mage lvl)

-forgot the last class :wall:

Thats all i remember. :(

Strangely with WotLK so near, I wished I could delay it a bit to push through that last TBC content in MH/BT :'(.

could it be miner?

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

i started playin runescape about 6 months after it first started in classic, and i remember this guy called 't k s' who was number 1 on the highscores...does anyone else remember this guy? and for GregEchidna....was Zonghui first to max out all his combat stats?

It was a miner. I started as one cause my friend told me it was the best cause you got a pick axe :mrgreen:

Foooman.png

could it be miner?

it was merchant I believe

*DOH double post*

i started playin runescape about 6 months after it first started in classic, and i remember this guy called 't k s' who was number 1 on the highscores...does anyone else remember this guy? and for GregEchidna....was Zonghui first to max out all his combat stats?

Yes, "t k s" was the leader for quite a while...then there was a time period where a bunch of different people kept taking over number one position, and then finally Zezima took over and has been king since then. If I remember right, t k s had a skill total of around 1500 something when he stopped playing.

Runescape Name: "unbug07"

sunsig6yg.png

Expand your mind.

^ I could too.

there was also the class cleric. and TKS was the best for awhile, Zonghui was the first to 99 strength, and at the time was considered a sort of Zezima.

there was Zar Family2 which was the first "Kryptix" who basically owned everyone in site.

Ladykilljoy was possibly the best pker in 2001 along side with Zar.

HMMM, before rune plate there was chain which was UBER expensive, you barely ever saw any1 with it and if you did they were either a pker or had some really good stats because everyone wore addy plate.

The knife bug came around allowing you to equip knives along side another weapon and it added an extra 2 or 3 to your weapon power. Who Da Best was prolly the most noted for this because he used it in the wilderness and hit 30's on people, he was temp banned. Not to mention that he was prolly the first to hit a 30+

The original arrows were alot smaller and petite looking compared to todays. there were no iron,mtih or steel arrows back then, along there was no members.

"The monster to beat back then was a lesser demon/greater demon"

you used to be considered fortunate if yu had a rune object

Gearshifter was the first person to max there combat at 123.

Autoers were next to non eistant and only a few people had autoers.

the first pking clan was the cbbage patch kids, they were a group of two or three people who stood at the cow fields by the crafting guild, and this is when there wasnt a wildy, and people used to walk by and the CPK used to shoot you to death. lol it was funny to see.

you used to not be able to see peoples combat levels unless you were in the wild. this was a disadvantage if you were pking at a pkers hotspot where there was a huge crowd, Example: Varrock. and you entered the wild and there infront of you were a bunch of people your level. thsi was much before multi combat and single player combat zones, abck then any1 that was within your level could attack you.

the best weapon in f2p was the r2h, the best members weapon was dragon axe.

Members didnt ocme until much later in rsc. the owners Paul and Andrew actually made appearances and talked to people back then, they used to even let you add them to your list.

if you were caught for swearing the censors would hange the swear to CABBAGE. back then you coud talk in caps.

if you were caught for saying or soing somethign bad the moderators would send you to the black hole. this is where you could log in but you couldnt do anything you were just in a big empty space below the miners guild. the disk of returning was something that you could buy froma dwarf and you could vist the black hole, and to return you used the disk.

moose67.png

Sorry, Evan, I was the feared PKer of 2001 and 2002. :)

The final 'class' you could pick that everyone can't think of was 'Necromancer.' You'd get a bonus in evil magic and a black wizard hat. The wizard gave good magic stats and a blue wizard hat. :)

-GregEchidna

Third player in RuneScape to 99 attack, strength, defense and hitpoints.