New spell list a flop or not?

planoboy93

its a bit like being a priest on world of warcraft but think with this new spellbook you should be able to doa relitivly week spell and you should be able to bless your fellow players with +10% range mage attack str or defense

also in the wildy can you caste vengence on someone while they are fighting ina multicombat area?

and if you cast heal/vengence on someone can you do it on another player not in the wildy?

and does it skull you when you cast it on someone?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If these spells had been added to the standard mages spell book they would have added a whole new dimension to the skill, and the spells could have been used for all sorts of things. But since you can only use Lunar spells by switching to the spell book, and therefore losing the ability to cast regular spells, it's not very practical at all. Fun, though. :)

It's not impractical, but rather, it opens up a whole new dimension for impure pking. Someone with good stats in magic and either ranged or melee can use lunar magic as a means of keeping themselves alive against pures. But a pure mage would never use lunar magics. It's only impractical for pure mages.

SirDorphus.png

i think that nobody will eva use half of the spells. they cost 2 much and are inpractical.
What is impractical about never needing supercompost, or balls of wool, or anti poison potions. If anything these spells have increased the likelyhood of group playing. Somethin gthis game dearly needs.

if you haven't noticed yet, wools a lot cheaper then astral and the other runes ;)

Same goes for the supercompost spell.

Only some teleport and healing spells may be somehow useful.

The rest is crap to me, I will do the quest within a few days but I won't ever use the spellbook again :/

For most people this is gona be thought as a flop but you need to consider skillers and the mage exp these things give without having to fight anything so its directed away from combat. Basiclly its useless for pkers but very practical for the droup it was intended for. Also the 61 crafting requirement is another indication of what players this was intended for.

But on the pking side might be useful for mage bank pkers idono

Edit: i just relized thats not multi :oops:

Just an average player with a horrible name...

*cough* 200 plus unstrung ruby ammies in my bank *cough* to be honest, i would rather use the string ammy spell then constantly walk back and forth

i :3> you jagex :thumbsup:

<the49ronin> O_o methinks ard is acting mighty high and pretty -.-

<Ard_Choille> I am pretty

<Ard_Choille> fo shizzle

i think that nobody will eva use half of the spells. they cost 2 much and are inpractical.
What is impractical about never needing supercompost, or balls of wool, or anti poison potions. If anything these spells have increased the likelyhood of group playing. Somethin gthis game dearly needs.

yeah but instead of needing super compost you need nats and astral runes!!! thats gotta be like 1k a go maybe more, for a super compost!!! wouldnt you rather use the normal way i know i would. and as for the anti poison potions ure gonna be taking up 3 spaces for an antipoison where normally you could just take up 1....pretty useless spells. the only one i think will be useful is the npc chat for slayers and maybe waterbirth island tele for dag king hunters...other than that a pretty bad set of spells...

As you play the game you may take up 3 spaces instead of one but if ur fighting kalphites. You could potentially take 50+ antiposions with you where you cant carry but 28 antiposions with you. Depends on how many you need. and at kalphite queen one person would bring it to save space for everyone. and another could bring group teleport. I mean it could be very useful for getting a group in and out really easily and be able to have an infinite supply or a larger supply of items so you dont have to take up 12 spaces for 4 people to bring 3 antiposion. these spells are mainly targeted for group play and I think it will enhance our gaming expierence a bit. Depends on how you play and look at it. But clearly if you're a loner these spells arent worth your time :)

It seems to have a few uses. Nothing amazing I don't think though. Makes things a lot easier when stringing amulets though :P

I haven't really tried to use the spell book in my everyday runescape life yet... I should sometime. Maybe it will be better than we all think?

Blakdragon39.png

its a bit like being a priest on world of warcraft but think with this new spellbook you should be able to doa relitivly week spell and you should be able to bless your fellow players with +10% range mage attack str or defense

also in the wildy can you caste vengence on someone while they are fighting ina multicombat area?

and if you cast heal/vengence on someone can you do it on another player not in the wildy?

and does it skull you when you cast it on someone?

and you should be able to bless your fellow players with +10% range mage attack str or defense <<< Um did you not see the boost potion spell? you can cast it on a super def str and attack to boost stats to people around you. or even feed em prayer pots. It can not be used on GOD potions.

1 Person with Ancients

1 person with New spells

Good team!

I would hardly say that...

I would MUCH rather have two ancient mages owning away rather than just one mage attacking while one largely stands around.

Runescape Name: "unbug07"

sunsig6yg.png

Expand your mind.

If you are a pk'er then you most likely won't like the spell book. Then again that is what ancients is for....

Like other said this is intended for skillers and people who like to have fun in game with groups of people.

I am looking forward to using spell book with my Friends in SODB on our KBD trips and also using Vengence on a certain NPC....

The tele to island makes it ez to switch back to reg magic.

Cost of the spells aren't that bad.. Also the alter is close to bank (Just as fast as abyss crafting if done right) So 100 each astral if you buy Ess.

Also Make tele tablets to help get around and use house portals

There some cool things I want to try out

Magic imbue : this will make combination runes actually practical to make

Waterbirth Tele: Used for seeweed (Mostly mage the DK's)

NPC talk: Slayer assignments and Throne (Can move house to Yanille again)

Of coarse this is for when you in a certain skilling mode or what ever.. I still need reg mage for alcing and such but I like the new book

I think its just an interesting diversion from what has typically been a fairly limited use of magic (attack and tele). Of course they are expensive, but they are also convenient. I'd rather spend the money on astrals than shear hundred of those blasted sheep and spin the wool.

Like someone said, this is a skillers spellbook for the most part, but I also like the fact that a ranger or warrior can use it to support his team. If such tactics prove viable in the wildy and other situations then it should force people to form more trust-based relationships in the game and as such encourage a more co-operative feeling in the game. That can only be a good thing.

df

iratebadger.png

My main issue with Lunar magic is that because it was made after normal magic, plenty of regular magic spells would make more sense as lunar ones. Superheat Item, Alchemy, maybe even enchanting jewelry. It would be nice if there was a lunar equivalent to these spells that was in some way better- alching without clicking on each item that you want to alch, superheating an entire inventory, etc.

Its like a Monk class

Copying other Adventure games, like WoW maybe?

~Aussy

yesterday i was reading the story of warcraft (dont ask i was that bored) i found alot of things that rs may have took for warcraft :-k thats off topic though

i think these new spells are a waste of runes they may have some purpose like healing but not in my opinion :?

xxxzeroxxx7.png

gone for a day and look how many posts lol.The spell list looks good but the heal spels are spread out for example there are healing spells in the 70s lvl of mage but the next heal spels u hav to b in the 90s on mage but it looks very handy for trainers or people they don't fite much

planoboy93.png

Founder of C.E.T.

A large pking group could have one lunar mage who casts vengeance on everyone, while doubling as a ranger or warrior. This is this is the most effective use of the new magic in a combat situation, because it would even be useful against monsters such as the kq. Three quarters of the first damaging hit you receive are reflected back, which could quickly add up.

Though I'm assuming that you can quickly vengeance a whole team. If there's a time restriction on casting vengeance other, like there is with vengeance self (once every 30 seconds) then it's not as useful.

The healing spells are not useful because they use your own hp to heal others. Unless heal group creates more hp than it uses, these spells are a waste of time.

The antipoison spells are similarly useless unless they create a temporary immunity like a super anti-poison.

Personally I won't be using any of this magic, but that's just because of my style of play. I've only played with vengeance self, I wish I knew more about how all the other spells work.

kindness.png

The spells are awesome. I bet most of you guys posting that they are flops have never cast some of the higher lvl ones, like heal other, heal all, or even vengeance. The graphics alone for most of the spells is worth the runes to cast them in my opinion. The vengeance spell is a huge skull which eats you for example.

The energy transfer one transfers not just your run energy to the other person, but if you have a full special bar, it transfers your entire SPECIAL ATTACK bar to them as well. It's the first thing in RS which restores special bar. If you have like 3 or 4 Lunar mages with like a maxed out player on the offensive in their team, theoretically the maxed out player could have 5 full special bars worth of special attacks, he could completely dominate anyone.

The heal other spell is awesome but at the same time it can be kind of scary. If someone is missing 74 hitpoints, and I heal them with my hitpoints full (lvl 99 hits), I get hit for a 74, and they get healed completely. Me and this 124 were casting it on eachother for like 40 seconds back and forth. I would heal him and I would lose 66 hp, he would heal me and he would lose 66 hp, then I would heal him again and so on lol, was fun, and pretty good xp. You don't need to worry about dying though, as it only restores UP to 75 percent of your current hitpoints. So if you have currently have 40 hitpoints, and someone is missing 40, you won't die, you will heal 30 hitpoints and have 10 left.

The NPC communication spell is also one of the most useful spells I've ever used (aside from high-alch I guess...). I can do a task of jellies or something and not move an inch, get a new task, and if I'm assigned like kurasks or something, I can just walk on over and do the task, without ever leaving the slayer cave. You can talk to Advisor Grihm from Miscellania and recover the resources your citizens have collected as well. The spell communicates with all of the slayer masters, the sand bucket guy in Yanille, Advisor Grihm, even Honest Jimmy, which if I remember right is the guy who you trade Pieces of Eight with for the Trouble Brewing rewards. You can also talk to Lanthus who is the man at CWars, you can ask him how long till the next game and how many people are in each room waiting for a game.

Another cool thing about the Lunar spells: when making Astral runes, you can teleport back to the Moonclan village using the Moonclan Teleport to make the trips even faster. To make it even better, you can use the Group Moonclan Teleport for better xp, and it will teleport anyone within 1 space of you back to the village, giving them a free ride. The group spell only takes 2 more earth runes than the solo teleport, so your lava\earth staff would cover the extra earths anyway.

I think these spells are very useful, but Jagex did a good job of balancing them with the others. Now we have 3 different magic styles to use: Offensive (Ancient), Defensive (Lunar), and then a balance of the two is the conventional magics.

These have their uses in combat, but you will have to be a powerful mage (90+) for them to truly be useful in wilderness or castlewars or something. Even then though, you won't be dealing any damage using them except with Vengeance, which can only be cast every 30 seconds to avoid another Charge incident where people were casting it continuously for insane XP.

Thumbs up from me :P

Nazgul.jpeg

if you haven't noticed yet, wools a lot cheaper then astral and the other runes ;)

Same goes for the supercompost spell.

Only some teleport and healing spells may be somehow useful.

The rest is crap to me, I will do the quest within a few days but I won't ever use the spellbook again :/

Again you are saying that the price of something will affect me........time is what is important to me money is no object.

Very intresting and a welcome addition to the game.

If you are power slaying you wil love it but if you farm in between all 4 plots the law cost for teles is a little absurd.

If I didnt farm at all b/w my runs I would be lunar full time and use tele tabs to my house for my other teles.

Other than that the loss of high alc and B2p makes it annoying.

I personally wont be swapping for good, but I really like what they bring to the game.

sigtsg99rscaz7.png

The Slayers Guild a Slayer Clan led by Axe Man Jack

Proud to have written the most plagiarized Slayer guide on the planet.

anti posion spell doesnt provide any immunity to anti posion, very useles..

Meh, I hate [Runecrafting], Farming, Crafting, Slayer, and most other skills that the new Spell type provides, which makes it fairly useless for me (not everyone). Then again, I've got a decent Mage Lvl, so I could see myself casting the Healing and Vengeance spells in CW when I'm not Barraging everyone :twisted: .

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.