Does doing pushups increase the weight you can bench press?

Teh_Brad

Basically, I felt like a wimp last year in the school gym because my max benching was only about 100 pounds (I know, pretty terrible).

So, would doing alot of pushups (say, 100 every other day) increase how well I can bench (does it work out the same muscles)?

Thanks.

Basically, I felt like a wimp last year in the school gym because my max benching was only about 100 pounds (I know, pretty terrible).

So, would doing alot of pushups (say, 100 every other day) increase how well I can bench (does it work out the same muscles)?

Thanks.

Both benching and pushups work primarily the pecs, and the triceps I think. Doing pushups will help your strength, dunno if anything other than benching will increase how much you bench.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

I used to do pushups with my brother sitting on my shoulders. It's basically the poor man's bench press. Just keep getting heavier people until you can only do about 5, and that will help with your bench press.

When you are learning, you are growing. If you stop learning, you stop growing. If you stop growing, you die. Train hard, eat fried chicken, and take a one-a-day. (And cook that broccoli 'til it's yella and pour cheese all over it)

slowmethusel.png

In short, of course it will.

Push ups work the same muscles as bench pressing. I have an olympic weight lifting set and I still do push ups even. :P

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

I bench roughly 150 and its all about pushups, and just other weight activity/benching. You need to do it in reps until you can't anymore. Like if you're benching 100, and you can do 12 reps, do 105 or 110. There are Two ways of doing it though. The earlier is my preferred technique. You can do high weight, low repetition, or low weight high repitition. What they taught you in gym class!

Theoldwipfinish2.gif

Only 27.. RIP Kurt Cobain, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, and Janice Joplin.

I bench roughly 150 and its all about pushups, and just other weight activity/benching. You need to do it in reps until you can't anymore. Like if you're benching 100, and you can do 12 reps, do 105 or 110. There are Two ways of doing it though. The earlier is my preferred technique. You can do high weight, low repetition, or low weight high repitition. What they taught you in gym class!

High weight/low rep = muscle building

Low weight/high rep = toning

i've been a gym freak. i know. if u only max 100. u should do push ups. everymorning. just light. dont wear ur self out. train with the bench ever third day. first with just the pole. max with just the pole. then max with 20, 30, 50, 70 and 100. dont forget to stretch. its importent. sleep well and eat good. and lots of it. then u'll be fine in few months.

I'm fifteen and I can't even bench 100, so it looks like i'm the one with the problem. I don't play sports for school, so I guess I don't need to. I'm not extremely skinny or weak, i just don't workout.

(I do pushups and crunches everyday to try and get stronger, so i'm working on it)

csuser.jpg

Guest XplsvBam

Its different for different people. For me if I did 100 pushups a day I could easily increase my max. Pushups work for some of my friends and don't for others. It really depends on your ability to bench and not just your strength.

i bench press 150kg basically to start working out first read up some stuff one the net about bodybuilding.

then do 20 push up and sit ups in the morning just after you wake up and 20 before you go to sleep- have a diary and a tally chart to see your progress after about month or so you will find it easy so do what you normally do and add some weights in ask your dad to buy you some or your mum as soon as they hear you started working out they'll be pleased to buy you anything to continue to do so ( every parent wants a healthy child )

anyway after you bult up some muscle tone on your arms chest and stomach move on to the gym, try joining a sports club i recomend rowing or swimming.

rowing and swimming uses every muscle in your body and is very good for you in general because if you join a club you will get new friends and motevation so join whilst you can because 15 is a good age to start working out.

this is the advantages i found for working out that happen to me.

girls can't get enough they just wana hug me all the time now :D

i dont run out of breath can compite in school in any sport

get respected by all the boys in my class because of my peseque

get asked loads of advice about how to get a 6 pack and i am always happy to help

A lot of health benefits strenghthens your heart, bones edurance everything.

Parents are happy because i am healthy and finally it makes you feel good.

However if you going to start dont wear yourself out take step by step dont rush to things because you can get warn out quikly and have 0 energy.

Anyway hope it helps any more advice you need pm me :)

A friend to all is a friend to none.

Pushups are good for toning your body more than strength. If you do things like pushups down stairs or with your feet on a box, you'll get your strength up a lot faster. I think it is best to do a combination of weights and lighter exercise to get yourself a toned, strong and muscular body (just like mine :D ).

ragenori9bosq4.gif

Thanks Venomai for this super sig and Kwimbob for the awesome avatar!