Why RuneScape is the matrix..

Anon

If this belongs in rants, then sorry and just move it.

Why RuneScape is the Matrix.

And you are all trapped.

bluephat.bmp

codephat.bmp

What could these two things have in common? They are representative of the same thing. The code on the right is the text equivalent on the thing on the left, pixels of color, which is what a "blue party hat" is . . . pixels of color, generated from computer code.

RuneScape items aren't real. They are just bits and bytes of data, created, and stored on computers in London. You don't "own" them, why? Because they aren't really there to begin with.

codehtml.bmp

What is this? This is some html taken from the main page of RuneScape. These are the building blocks of RuneScape, and like the matrix, itÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s just lines of code..

Taken from ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅThe MatrixÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

wow...im stunned and ammazed but will question only one thing. if you hate this game so much why post something this long about it.

dont get me wrong its an awesome piece of work, but so much thought to tell us what we kinda already knew? long gone are the days ewhen i thought to myself. i need a crystal bow or something similar lol.

when that happens i just remember its a game, i dont really need it. i knw theres a nice x button in the top right of my screen.

Athalus_1988.png

let fire spin and parafin burn. ill call it fun.

http://www.domorepoi.com

dang... i trougth runescape was real and that hipnosed some humans there, ans gave ppl strage looking machines to controll one of them... :oops:

runeminermb1.gif

^^ click my sig for my lesser ranging guide ^^

jwrm22: 4816th > 99 cooking 100% f2p !1172 total! + 140mil in items.

i dont play anymore... i think rs is ruined

I think everyone that plays this gameklnow that the are wasting their time and money on a couple of coloured pixels or in some bites, and that u don't own anything on the game, but ppl stay playing and paying because they get fun, some ppl waste money on a disco to have some fun, and they r wasting time and money too. And those ppl that dont play for fun, seriulsly, they have to be treated.

OFF: Ismell something like a no reason ban?

"hasta la victoria siempre."

Beated Monkey madness lvl76.

Beated haunted mine at lvl 77.

cmb +75 and total +930 all stats +46 before p2p.

Al f2p stats +50 (15/02/08)

So what if runescape doesn't mean anything but tell me this why bounce on a trampoline why play a game of basketball or a videogame. WHy hang out with your friends. Because it's FUN!!!!!!! you don't gain anything real from any of that except hanging out with your friends which was a bad example. It's to have fun and if you're competing with people and you care what place your in that's good it's stimulating you make friends and also you're having fun. To compete in a basketball tournament why do it because if you win other people will respect that and won't respect it if you're good in runescape why what's the difference. How do you gain something from basketball which you don't gain from runescape. Tell me that. :x :-k =;

untitled6kv7.gif

This is quite possibly the stupid "time consuming" thing I've heard in a while. Wow. Sorry for the flaming, but just... wow.

RS Name: Zibl || Click Signature for my RS Life Story!

ziblretieredwarriorchicpc7.jpg

[ 87 Combat ] [ 1240 Total ] [ Ex-RSC Professional Merchant ]

12.20.01 - 10.5.05 || Status: Retired

Total losses in 5 years = just over 630 million gp (BILLIONS in today's prices)

No way! I've biometrically hooked myself up to my computer so that when my RS character eats, then my body gets nutrients! And when my character runs, my legs get excercise! And now you're telling me that RS is only a game? :roll:

Sounds to me like somebody isn't patient enough to glean enjoyment out of computer games. Sore loser, are you? Got owned in the wildy and now you're upset? Aww, poor you. Your kind will be missed because they are so entertaining, especially when they're frustrated.

By the way, use a better image hosting site than BoomSpeed. Or learn HTML.

the russians are the best! Hands down!
Womzoomed-1.gif

wow... i guess ur sorta rite... like everytime i die this is wat i tell myself " its just pixels, its just pixel, its just pixels, its just pixels... ". i think everybody knows that they're wasting hours of time on pixilated stuff, we r just addicted to it, BUT everything will come to a past ( is that how it goes or... ). everybody will quit RS someday... but only mor peep will join... i dunno how it'll end... but for now i'm just playing pixelated stuff and bits of data ::'

thats life what you ganna do about, jagex isn't perfect remember that, there are many people in the real world that have been wrongly placed in jail. i know you must be ticked but still

on the matrix note you can say that about any video game basicly its jsut data and if 1 pice of dust gets on there BAM its all gone :cry:

legends2.jpg

The way i look at it is that there is no reality and "reality" was made up by something powerful, so it must be fake right? so what your saying to me is that me living my life is a waste of time? Think of others beliefs first before ranting on like that, sheesh.

im kidding

sorosigjq5.jpg

You guys blur the lines between reality and this game. This game is the biggest waste of time you will ever go through in your life, it takes tremendous character and will to break away from this. If you think it's just a game and you play it for "fun" then think this WHY NOT YOU JUST QUIT ?! because you can't. I'm sure you guys thought long and hard about how many hours you play this game, and deep inside you know that your addicted and it's ruining your life. This game has no little to almost no benefit for you in the real world, and as the author of this thread is 100% right, it CONSUMES you.

Since we're going on the super crazy conspiracy point of view and saying how "Jagex has us trapped" how do I know that all of you aren't a figment of my imagination. Perhaps the 18 years of life that I've experienced are all a crazy dream that I've made after thirty years of being in a coma?

Who knows what is actually real or not, we perceive what we perceive and cannot help it and a few things can alter our perception. Take for example the attack on the World Trade Towers. We Americans thought we were impregnable, we could not be touched. Then that morning came crashing down upon us as the heap of metal and clouds of ash filled our eyes and lungs. Our perception of our world around us changed.

An even better example is the Little Albert Experiment. Take your child, remove it from our worlds influence and raise it to believe completely different things. Teach your child that the world is flat, teach it that light is actually emitted from your eyes and not the sun, teach it that there is no being more almighty then the stapler. Teach the child these things and it will not just "believe" in it, it will "Know" that it is true.

Again, how do I know that the people on these boards actually exist, that they are responding to real questions. Your world is can be just as fake as the Runescape world to me.

Being able to escape into a world in which there is fantasy and fighting and you are a great and bold hero is a wonderful thing. It pushes away the daily grind and focuses on you and not on the Bottom Line or the troubles in your life. Everyone knows that the game is not real, I can almost guarantee that 99% of the world population would know that the game is just that, a game. But within that percentage are people that want to compete, that want to earn more points or do better than someone else, to them Runescape isn't just a game to be played it's almost a sport.

I'm a competitive person when it comes to certain things. Ping-Pong is one of them. When I first started I couldn't do jack-squat with a ball. After months and months of playing against people vastly better than me and then more months and months of practicing against myself and as always my superior opponents, I've now been able to actually be a challenge to them. I've put many hours of my life into the pursuit of perfecting my spin and control of the ball. There are thousands of athletes that are paid to do that, practice their game.

So why should Runescape be any different, you practice, you spend time on it, you play it to compete, why is it that people are looked down upon for playing a video game competitively. Sure there are some ground breakers out there and the public is aware of those big ol' PC game championships but our world is different.

To me as well as many time invested in a game is just like time invested into work. You set a goal, you struggle towards it, and eventually you reach it with a better understanding. You were indeed fed an injustice when your years of hard work fell down the drain and one day you may be able to get retribution. But if you cannot pick yourself up from the ashes of your defeat and start anew then you've been playing the wrong game. Move on to something bigger and better now because a small game like Runescape is not for you. If you cannot laugh about being banned and instead must think up a way of saying how Jagex has you trapped then leave now and don't look back, spend your time on something bigger with a better staff if you believe in this.

Now if I were in your shoes and I was somehow banned from the game I would actually take it almost as a sign. No, not a sign, more so a message. A message stating "It's time to go". There are so many better games out there that it's absolutely ridiculous for someone with an actual disposable income to not be playing them. You're right, I'm trapped by my stats, I've spent so much time on them that I don't want to leave the game. I could be playing Guild Wars or World of Warcraft with all of my friends from school, but no I choose Runescape because I've been here for so long.

I'd like to say there are more reasons such as I enjoy being a part of this community, I like having been with the game since it's late-beginnings, and even the fact that it is small and I can know a smattering about every item in the game. Those are very good reasons as well but I am fond of my stats. I find ways of working around the fact that Runescape is small and meaningless through better standalone PC games (Neverwinter Nights, Black & White, etc.).

Perhaps you are right but I think you are far too wrong to be considered right. Jagex does all they can to keep their game clear of cheaters and make it enjoyable for all. If you really want to keep clear of Jagex's radar treat everyone you see as if they were the Gestapo (the secret police) and give everyone you see a smile. Sure you'll never be able to trust anyone but you'll also never be banned.

In Summary: I do not agree with the poster entirely but I am indeed "trapped" by my stats as well although there are other reasons why I stay as well. I think his whole argument is far too conspiritorial and terribly biased because of recent events involving his account and Jagex staff. My advice is to move on because if you're willing to write that much about how you dislike the game and the staff you are obviously not wanting to come back so why not move on to something better? I would suggest Guild Wars as it's just purchasing the software and no Monthly fees. Also I'd like to commend him for his first post here not only being lengthy and intelligible but also a quitting post. Why join a forum just to say you're quitting is somewhat dubious. Perhaps he has friends or is really seeking attention, that very same attention he found nearly disgusting, the attention that a "famous" player of Runescape gets from the throngs of anonymous players out there.

Edit: I just wanted to reply to some other messages here.

You guys blur the lines between reality and this game. This game is the biggest waste of time you will ever go through in your life, it takes tremendous character and will to break away from this. If you think it's just a game and you play it for "fun" then think this WHY NOT YOU JUST QUIT ?! because you can't. I'm sure you guys thought long and hard about how many hours you play this game, and deep inside you know that your addicted and it's ruining your life. This game has no little to almost no benefit for you in the real world, and as the author of this thread is 100% right, it CONSUMES you.

What do you mean "tremendous character"? I'm pretty sure we all are on different levels of gameplay. Some spend a long amount of time on the game, others spend very little. You cannot say that Runescape is a physical addictant because it doesn't stimulate you so much that you form a dependency. The only real way to get "addicted" to the game is if the game acts as a substitue for something i.e. social contact, some kids might not have all too many friends and thus will rely on Runescape and the people on it to enjoy others company.

The only way a GAME can "CONSUME" you is if you place it in front of other things in life. It's your own fault if you spend too much time on the game. You have no one to blame except for yourself.

dude.... im-im i dont know what too say, seriously that makes me think..

you my friend are truly a good good person thank for making me realize it's just a game

You knew that it was a game. Don't congratulate him on making a bunch of Matrix references and quoting Keanu Reeves. It's always been a game but you can take different meanings from games. For example playing Battleship can show that you have an understanding of your opponent and you know where they would place their ships. Playing Risk shows you are a tactician and can strategize a situation. Chess is also a strategic game it shows your skill for planning ahead.

Now Runescape is harder to classify though. It has no actual end. But if anything the game shows a lot about you, do you PK, do you attack helpless people for the fun of it for the items dropped, do you not PK, do you get deeply involved with the quests?

My point is a game may be a game but any one of them can tell something about you and it's not always just click or "You sunk my battleship".

We all run the risk of being banned by logging in. You simply have to put your trust in Jagex for making correct decisions. Also remember that we do not hear stories about how you were not banned but only stories about how you ARE banned. It's more upsetting, when it happens some people are a ball of fury and waiting to vent just as our esteemed author is doing.

So what if runescape doesn't mean anything but tell me this why bounce on a trampoline why play a game of basketball or a videogame. WHy hang out with your friends. Because it's FUN!!!!!!! you don't gain anything real from any of that except hanging out with your friends which was a bad example. It's to have fun and if you're competing with people and you care what place your in that's good it's stimulating you make friends and also you're having fun. To compete in a basketball tournament why do it because if you win other people will respect that and won't respect it if you're good in runescape why what's the difference. How do you gain something from basketball which you don't gain from runescape. Tell me that. :x :-k =;

Now this I like. There is only one thing that I can think of to answer his question. In basketball or in any sport you're pushing yourself physically. Now in Runescape that is impossible but you can push yourself in other ways. You can test your patience, try your skill at puzzles, defeat foes by knowing what exactly to bring, and anything involving the mind. Runescape is most assuredly nothing physical, instead it relies upon your mind, your ability to think through problems and work your way out of sticky situations.

Anything we do can be considered pointless. Why the hell are we even living! Some faiths believe that there is nothing beyond the grave. We simply live our lives and then die, we are shuffled off the mortal coil, we cease to exist. So why do anything then? Why even go to school, to work, to a date? It won't help us since we're not going to exist after eighty or so years after our birth.

For those of us who believe in a life after death and that we can only obtain it through prayer and good faith then why go to work? Why even strive for anything? Why not just live in the church and pray 24-7? It's not because you can't, it's not because you have obligations those can easily be dealt with. It's because WE ARE HUMANS, we want, we desire, we aspire.

No matter where you go in the world people compete, people have needs and wants that they work toward to fufill. We suburbanites and other various sections of mankind who are given access to moderate housing and a middle-class income or above desire entertainment greatly. Those who surf these boards get a portion of it from Runescape. You(the author) seem to be A-OK with that which is good. But you quickly are angered by the fact that some people play competitively and can be wiped out instantly. We are human, we cheat, we lie, we steal, all in the name of being better than someone else. Those who moderate us, the ones who need to keep order, can only do their best to keep our fictional world as WE ALL KNOW IT TO BE safe. I think most of us would agree that we'd rather see a few people banned incorrectly than not a single cheater and scammer be banned.

And as I stated above if I were wrongly banned I would move on. It is after all just a game and I can find better entertainment elsewhere. I would no longer have a ball and chain called my stats dragging me down to Runescape. Take this chance and leave! No one except the fools are "trapped" by Runescape. I simply do not want to move onto another game but I can easily stop playing it but I would not play a different MMORPG.

That's all I wanted to say. I think I'm done here. Hopefully not everyone will be awe-struck by the Matrix references.

Is it Jagex's fault you procastinated? No.

Is it Jagex's fault you stayed up to 4 am? No.

Look I failed my maths exam, do I go blame Jagex? No. I failed it due to my nerves and the amount of time I was off school.

Go rot in hell. :twisted:

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198