You've got to love mass produced products!

Viktorkrum77

So today I just got my 17" flat screen computer monitor. It's an off brand (X2gen?) that I bought seperatly instead of with the computer, to save myself from being scammed for $200 for a monitor I could buy for $150. Well, I hooked it up, and right there, near the bottom of the screen, is one single blue pixel. It's always there, and it can drive you crazy, especially on white screens. It's too minor to return the monitor for, but it can be so annoying, and can drive you crazy. I've had similar experiences with an off brand flat screen television I bought, which sucked so badly I returned it for a brand tv, which I love.

This can be with both off and brand products.

Have you had any similar experiences?

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

Guest TaDaraCampbell

I think I remember having an old screen like that, but I don't remember if it was a TV or computer screen. I also took a magnet to a TV screen once.. :D

My brother and I both bought Alienware gaming notebooks some time back (which we still use). My screen was fine but my brothers has 4 dead pixels.. I hate using his computer (when I have to) because they're near each other and they're so damn annoying :wall:

Just consider yourself lucky; If most people had/could have Alienware gaming laptops they wouldn't care if the screen had 400 dead pixels. 8-) Those things are seriously powerful and with WLAN, you can even play high graphic MMORPG's/FPS games with no wires and they are at least 3 times better than normal desktop gaming computers.

It's always there, and it can drive you crazy, especially on white screens.

Well, I was watching a movie during an aeroplane flight last year on a small, 8-inch TFT which conveniently had two dead pixels in the middle of the screen (why not on the bottom left corner for gods sake?), and it does drive you crazy. It draws attention and you can't focus on the movie.

Just buy a plasma, TFT's with current technology do mainly suck.

Like I have money for a plasma. I skipped buying a $800 gateway core duo becuase I didn't want to wait for the rebate. So I bought a decent Emachines from Walmart for like $250.

Now, here comes an interesting question. 8-) Can you actually use eMachines for gaming? I remember since like the dotcom days, they sold relatively good-speced computers with sick (very low) prices. But with $250... Does it have a graphic card? I'd had saved up a bit more to buy one that has a graphic card, but that's just me. As long as you can use it for everything else (or if it works just fine for gaming too), good stuff.

Like I have money for a plasma. I skipped buying a $800 gateway core duo becuase I didn't want to wait for the rebate. So I bought a decent Emachines from Walmart for like $250.

Now, here comes an interesting question. 8-) Can you actually use eMachines for gaming? I remember since like the dotcom days, they sold relatively good-speced computers with sick (very low) prices. But with $250... Does it have a graphic card? I'd had saved up a bit more to buy one that has a graphic card, but that's just me. As long as you can use it for everything else (or if it works just fine for gaming too), good stuff.

Emachines are the only computers I used until I got my Alienware. They can handle some light gaming (Lineage II was the best game I could get to run, but the settings were at minimum and it f*ed up the display settings once in a while). They're good machines for what you pay.

That was of course without the monitor. I had $700, more if I needed. But I didn't want to spend it all if I didn't have to. It's a 2.5 gig, and plays Runescape ok, not great, a few lags. But for that I just choose to use our custom computer. But I needed my own computer. 5 people with one computer sucks, me and my brother literally took hour/half hour turns on the computer. I don't play many games, but I like it for surfing the internet.

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

Emachines are the only computers I used until I got my Alienware. They can handle some light gaming (Lineage II was the best game I could get to run, but the settings were at minimum and it f*ed up the display settings once in a while). They're good machines for what you pay.

I have an E-Machine :wink: .

Only thing I added to it was my sound card and a 6600GT. :) . Runs game's like fear on all high.

Aren't eMachines the ones who put second-hand parts in their machines?

Not sure really.

All I know is that with a small upgrade my machine is running games fine. I am going to try and upgrade to a better machine soon though (hopefully).

Kind of deviated from the topic, but if I was going to buy a pre-made machine from ANYONE it would be IBM. One of the very few companies I actually trust, alongside another which I will post in a while because it has slipped my mind.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

Well, we have two computers in my house. When we got the first one, the screen had a small crack in it on the right hand corner. We returned it though. ;) That crack would drive me crazy though... I would sit there and pick at it, thinking it was a hair or piece of dust or something on the screen. :s

3898000bYVcx.png

If I ever buy a pre-made machine, I would probably just purchased the cheapest system which provides the CPU and slots I require with a decent warranty. Then I would spend a bit more and throw in extra ram and a graphics card. Could probably get a better preforming machine for half the price of their high end models.

Kind of deviated from the topic, but if I was going to buy a pre-made machine from ANYONE it would be IBM. One of the very few companies I actually trust, alongside another which I will post in a while because it has slipped my mind.

I thought IBM computers are now just a brand for Lenovo, and they have not really had time to prove themselves. I have always considered IBM to be overpriced for what they are (might just be market variation). Sure they often have fancy features and gimmicks.

China's Lenovo Group has completed its $1.75 billion purchase of IBM's PC division, creating the world's third-largest PC maker, the companies said Sunday.

Under the deal, IBM takes an 18.9 percent stake in Lenovo. Lenovo paid $1.25 billion for the IBM PC unit and assumed debt, which brought the total cost to $1.75 billion.

Lenovo ... will be allowed to use the IBM brand for five years under an agreement that includes the "Think" brand. Big Blue has promised to support the PC maker with marketing via its corporate sales force.

So, Lenovo does own the IBM PC division. It is very likely that the IBM thinkpads are still currently being made in the IBM facilities with the same staff.

Pretty much every TFT screen we have at work has at least one dead pixel, some of them have an entire line of pink all the way down. Then again they are McCheapo monitors and not very good quality in general.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

My friend received a laptop from his grandfather. (It was used by his grandfather for a few years) We open it up turn it on. And see this HUGE checkmark of black pixels :lol: It is pretty funny looking. It's about 200 pixels high. 100 wide?