Software Build off

yettti

ever wanted a specific peice of software for runescape to help you along the way maby you could do with a world map with some extras or a guide that tells you were you are, :?: :-k

Well im a software desighner and i would like to do something for the comunity here

wat i want you to do?

well post your idears here and once there are enough

best ten and then we will vote on the best. 8-)

ater that i will embark in tho long hours of tedious proggraming 8-) and try to bring these dreams to life

:thumbsup:

cool hu,

so post away you never know i might be making your idear

:thumbsup: :D

happy posting,

---yettti---

Any third party software having something to do with RS is pretty much illegal .

Sort of. A piece of RuneScape-related software is only really illegal if it can break one of the paramount 13 rules... Especially ones like #4 (Bug Abuse) or #7 (Macroing) ... Long as the piece of software doesn't actually touch your in-game character (and the RS java applet for that matter), and only gives you a guide to get around with (like the RuneHQ Flash-driven map system) or to gain an idea for what you could do next in-game (like some people's ideas for character dress styles), you'll be fine. :)

BTW, my opinion is based off a lot of what I have read in these forums and seen out across the web, as well as my own analysis of such. :P

~Mr. D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Any third party software having something to do with RS is pretty much illegal .

Sort of. A piece of RuneScape-related software is only really illegal if it can break one of the paramount 13 rules... Especially ones like #4 (Bug Abuse) or #7 (Macroing) ... Long as the piece of software doesn't actually touch your in-game character (and the RS java applet for that matter), and only gives you a guide to get around with (like the RuneHQ Flash-driven map system) or to gain an idea for what you could do next in-game (like some people's ideas for character dress styles), you'll be fine. :)

BTW, my opinion is based off a lot of what I have read in these forums and seen out across the web, as well as my own analysis of such. :P

~Mr. D. V. Devnull

Perhaps its changed, but the old policy was, any third party game software granting an advantage ingame is considered illegal.

Perhaps its changed, but the old policy was, any third party game software granting an advantage ingame is considered illegal.

It is only illegal if it modifies the RS client or controls it in some way. This is a well-known fact. Having a map program or other program sitting on the side that does not directly interact with the game client is fine. :)

~Mr. Devnull

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

there now back to the idears now

Any chance you could make a 3D Map program that people could use to view RuneScape from interesting angles?

~Mr. Devnull

It is only illegal if it modifies the RS client or controls it in some way. This is a well-known fact. Having a map program or other program sitting on the side that does not directly interact with the game client is fine. :)

~Mr. Devnull

I suppose they gave up on trying than, and reversed the policy.

If absolutely any 3rd party program is illegal, then even the calculator which Windows supplies for free, and which countless merchants use for pricing odd-lot stacks of raw materials, would be illegal. That would really be sad. (And impossible to prove, too.)

I always wanted to make a runescape helper tool but never gone arround to it..

Rule 7 - Macroing

You must not use other programs to gain an unfair advantage at the game.

seems like rule 7 says you cant use programs to get a unfair advantage..

that would count as macroing and autoing and this program does neither and dosent give a unfair advantage because anyone could use it..

Dr_Brinner.png

I always wanted to make a runescape helper tool but never gone arround to it..

Rule 7 - Macroing

You must not use other programs to gain an unfair advantage at the game.

seems like rule 7 says you cant use programs to get a unfair advantage..

that would count as macroing and autoing and this program does neither and dosent give a unfair advantage because anyone could use it..

like devnull said, as long as it doesnt interact with the runescape client the program is perfectly legal. so any idea that have been discussed here would be fine.

Stallion4589.png

I think it'd be incredible if someone were to re-create the entire RuneScape world in a program, where you have no character and there's no clipping, so you can basically explore and examine every bit of the RuneScape world easily.

Not sure if that'd be allowed, though.

tifsbti6oi.gif

I advise no one listen to this guy claiming to be a "software developer." The reason? His English is horrible. Coding, while it doesn't require excellent English, it requires that you have some basic knowledge of the language, and of anything else in general. I am willing to bet that this guy would have done this simply because it looks more like the real deal than somebody wanting to steal your password.

Trust me, it's near impossible for a person like that to be a skilled, zero-error programmer. Just take his claims with a grain of salt.

yes and i bet a 14 year old couldnt hack into ssbm to show the debug screen or make a mmorpg?... well i can do that and making a program like that would be incredibly simple.... you wouldnt even need to type a single piece of code....

Dr_Brinner.png

Nice idea!

I would want a new sort of RS map where you see the level diffrences on the ground, with mountains and lakes and so on? It would be great!

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

I advise no one listen to this guy claiming to be a "software developer." The reason? His English is horrible. Coding, while it doesn't require excellent English, it requires that you have some basic knowledge of the language, and of anything else in general. I am willing to bet that this guy would have done this simply because it looks more like the real deal than somebody wanting to steal your password.

Trust me, it's near impossible for a person like that to be a skilled, zero-error programmer. Just take his claims with a grain of salt.

Just like you said, coding requires barely any english knowledge at all. Learn the functions and how to use them and you'll be pretty much ready to go.

I don't understand why you don't trust him because of faulty english though :S

He could be from a completely diffrent continent for all we know... Learning english is hard when the language is totally diffrent than your own (I'm Icelandic... took me a while to learn english mainly because the word order is totally diffrent and you can't put words in a sentense in any order... it must be a specific order).

At school, when I'm studying PhP (yes... I know it's a easy-to-use scripting language) we aren't tought any english at all, just what the functions do, how to make them and how to use them.

Dead+Dude4.png

Hey, he's not asking you for personal details, for your password and username or your recovery question answers so there's little to no harm in giving him ideas for a bit o' software.

I'd have to agree with Dead_Dude on the fact that you don't need to know english to know that if you put "function" in front of another word and then a left brace ( { ) you've started something that can be called again and again. For my fellow Americans who remember the Smurfs if someone came up to you and said "Smurf" and you had never heard of them you'd say "What?" but if anyone saw the T.V. series you'd find that they knew what the Smurfs were. Hopefully that made sense, you can find meaning in an english word as well as a foreign word so long as you remember the meaning, you don't have to be able to use it in the grammatical syntax necessary of the langauge, you just need to be able to use it in that instance.

Off-Topic: Dead_Dude, is Icelandic similar to Norwegian? Is it like Swedish where the words are so similar to Norsk that one man could be speaking Norwegian and the other speaking Swedish and both could understand the other? Sorry, I've got a hunger for knowledge of languages, I'm studying German (and according to the CIA Factbook, Iceland happens to have wide spread German spoken there) and I was told by studying German and English (Native language) that learning Norwegian would become easier. Anything like that with Icelandic?

Sorry to go off-topic, but with the way this is going it'll be a spamfest in no time.

to all of you doughting i can make software there`s somthin i would like you to know

-i am 13 years old i work for my dad mainly in flash web developing

- if ya wanna know what languages i use here they are feel free to look them up

-actionscript(most flunt)

-i know a reasonable amount of C++

-i can code in html but its clean enought to be xhtml

-i know a bit of php for web server communication

-and finaly xml that i use whan flash web devoloping

dont belive me i can proove it if you want evedence i will give it to you

Whether software this guy wants to produce is illegal or not is up for debate. There are two definitions of illegal here.

The first definition is - is it against the rules of RuneScape? The answer is no, if the software does not interact with the RuneScape java coding. For example the skill calculators,

The second definition is - is it illegal in the eyes of the law? The answer to this is a bit more difficult as it depends on what copyrights and patents Jagex have registered. For example things like producing an interactive map as suggested would probably break copyright laws as you would, in effect, be reproducing a large part of RuneScape.

I would strongly suggest that you look into the legal aspects before you start publishing any software that you produce.

Sorry to be a party-pooper but these things have to be considered.