Do you care about HDTV?

Faux

800px-Standard_video_res.svg.png

We have a Wega DLP HDTV in the living room that can do 720p/1080i, but I watch TV more often on the 27" CRT in a different room cause it's comfier. We get some HD channels (HD box from Rogers) on the DLP, but it doesn't seem like an extreme change compared to NTSC for me.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't watch TV so I personally don't care.

I also don't think that it is that much of a benefit to TV or movies. I do think it will be of big benefit to console games though.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

I've seen some PS2 games being played on a HDTV, and it looked so much clearer.

I'm pretty certain the PS2 only outputs to standard PAL or NTSC so the HDTV would have been running in one of these modes - meaning there wouldn't be a difference between that and a normal TV. I think.

I've seen some PS2 games being played on a HDTV, and it looked so much clearer.

I'm pretty certain the PS2 only outputs to standard PAL or NTSC so the HDTV would have been running in one of these modes - meaning there wouldn't be a difference between that and a normal TV. I think.

I think there is a lead that plugs to HDTV for PS2.

It's called a component lead, it can only be used with high-end televisions which at the moment consists of widescreens and HDTVs.

knkcopy.jpg

I think there is a lead that plugs to HDTV for PS2.

It's called a component lead, it can only be used with high-end televisions which at the moment consists of widescreens and HDTVs.

I'm not questioning whether a PS2 can display on an HDTV, I'm very sure it can. What I am saying is that it can't output to more than a normal TV's resolution - meaning the HDTV will not make it look any better.

It is like having my 21" monitor that is capable of 1800x1440 plugged into a P166 machine which is outputting at 640x480 - you will only see 640x480 regardless of how good the monitor is.

Being the owner of an HDTV , with the cable service to actually use it , I'd have to say yes , I do care . Not just because I have it , but there is a truly noticeable difference, when it was first hooked up , I was watching a Red Sox game and switching between the normal channel it was on and the HD version of the channel , theres a HUGE difference.

I then did the same for the movie Finding Nemo , all i can say is like whoa ... you have not experienced HDTV until you watch a digitally animated movie on it.

And after seeing previews of Grand Turismo HD for the PS3 , just wow , you couldn't even tell the car or the mountains in the picture were part of a game. :shock:

and correct , a PS2 cannot output HD resolutions , if it looked better , it was probably just due to the TV itself having a nice picture

I like to fart silently but deadly in movie theaters
Ard Choille says (11:41 PM):

I wouldn't dare tell you what to do m'dear

On the "look how great the graphics are" front I must say I won't believe it until I see it in a game. Remember the screenshots from FF8 that sony used to advertise the PS2? When the game came out and people played it it looked nothing like that during normal gameplay.

I don't trust sony's advertising.

On the "look how great the graphics are" front I must say I won't believe it until I see it in a game. Remember the screenshots from FF8 that sony used to advertise the PS2? When the game came out and people played it it looked nothing like that during normal gameplay.

We have a ViewSonic HDTV, with a few HD Satellite feeds. When watching a football game, you can see every individual blade of grass. It's incredible.

summerpngwy6.jpg

Gamespot has a few decent videos from E3and luckily I work part time in retail and just went through the whole PS3 craze with the nerds sleeping outside to get their hands on one (52 people sleeping on a sidewalk for 5 playstations and 5 rainchecks...pathetic)

heres the image Sony is using in their release guide.

928379_20060922_screen001.jpg

I dont think theres a video of this scene though so who knows you may be right lol

I like to fart silently but deadly in movie theaters
Ard Choille says (11:41 PM):

I wouldn't dare tell you what to do m'dear

Based on how the land ends and the mountains start I'd guess that they're a photo backdrop. Which is still nice.

I just wouldn't expect them to make so much effort on mountains when they are making a racing game.

Good computers are higher-def ;).

Apparently the 8800GTX (non-SLI) can do Oblivion at 2560x1600 with everything at full except for AA. Then again at that resolution you might not even need AA...

And I'm getting one next month, yay. It might cost me more than my car did.

When youve seen HD yes you will. Its just a shame its quite expensive atm and hardly anyhitng is broadcast in it.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

We have a Wega DLP HDTV in the living room that can do 720p/1080i, but I watch TV more often on the 27" CRT in a different room cause it's comfier. We get some HD channels (HD box from Rogers) on the DLP, but it doesn't seem like an extreme change compared to NTSC for me.

We have a similar TV [720p/1080i] and the same package from Rogers and I love it.

I would love to see what the channels look like on a 1080p HDTV. Unfortunately, the stores around here carry very few of them and the ones they do have are way too expensive :cry:

I know the price. I pay it gladly.

We have a 'Sharp 42 in. Full HD 1080p LCD TV, AQUOS Liquid Crystal Television, Widescreen' (accoridng to the name, I just call it an LCD.) In our living room. And when it comes to watching TV I choose to watch in the 20" flat screen in my room, not because it is in my room, but because the LCD is too big, and I agree, it feels uncomfortable. I almost think the real life images are blurrer due to the size, but the cartoon images are extrememly sharp and vivid.

A nice thing through is you can watch two different shows at once.

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

Honestly I can never tell the difference between HD and normal...and because of that, I've saved alot of money. 8-)
You obviously have never actually seen a HD program.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12