Chemistry.....Chemical Reactions

BobBickels

potassium chlorate and a jelly baby.

replace the potassium chlorate with another group 1 metal chlorate and the sasme reaction happens... basically, with more or less reactivity, and the flame is the characteristic colour of the burning group 1 metal.

here is a link.

there are many others, like ammonium dichromate being set alight, it turns into a green powder but its so exothermic the rreaction carries on long after the fire source is removed. it turns from orange to green but i cant find a video of it.

-Destroy Topham-

Punk_Man666.png

Punk_man666.png

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there are many others, like ammonium dichromate being set alight, it turns into a green powder but its so exothermic the rreaction carries on long after the fire source is removed. it turns from orange to green but i cant find a video of it.

that sounds cool, i think the colour change there is the dichromate ions (Cr2O7) turning to chromium ions. (Cr3+)

the nerd in me... :lol:

Cesium is for pansies, break out the Francium!

Francium has a very short half-life, so i'd like to see you get it into water and get a reaction out of it. :P

I think my favourites are either;

Ce + H2O (BOOMSHKI)

Mg + O (White Light)

Not many other reactions like that. Although, I would like to see 100% concentrated H2SO4 poured onto various metals.

Edit: THERMITE. That stuff is cooool. Burns at like a few thousand degrees centigrade. Burns through a car engine pretty fast.

knkcopy.jpg

Any first period element and water is fun, if you get a big enough hunk of the metal.

Rubidium looked the nicest, it made a small explosion like a firework.

Cesium is for pansies, break out the Francium!

You'll struggle to get hold of any, since it has a 22-minute half-life and no one's ever managed to photograph more than 350,000 atoms of it.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

potassium chlorate and a jelly baby.

replace the potassium chlorate with another group 1 metal chlorate and the sasme reaction happens... basically, with more or less reactivity, and the flame is the characteristic colour of the burning group 1 metal.

here is a link.

Post the formula so you mind boggle the younger people here:

K+2 ClO3-1

K(ClO3)2

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

potassium chlorate is KClO3... because oxygen is more electronegative than chlorine giving them chagres of 5+ for chlorine and oxygen of 2- each overall 6- giving the chlorate part having an overall charge of -1 and potassium being in 1+ it bonds ionically how ever due to the size of the chlorate ion and the potassium ion being so different the melting point is low in comparisson to different ionic lattices.

and yeh the ammonium dichromate is going from Cr2O7(2-) in a 6+ oxidation state to chromium in 3+ oxidation state... hence causing the colour change from orange to green.

-Destroy Topham-

Punk_Man666.png

Punk_man666.png

I think amalayse and hydrogen peroxide is a cool reaction because it is so practical. Our body uses to rid our cells of hydrogen peroxide. It's just cool.

i think i did that once... amalayse is that enzyme in the liver, right?

from memory it producses oxygen gas (any hydrogen gas? or water?)

another one i though of, dissolve polystyrene in petrol, after a while of dissolving it, you should get a 'blob' of napalm-like goo.

Ive never seen many reactions outside of my chemistry classroom. But even in there non of the reactions ive seen are really that good.

But i wonder... what would happen if all natural elements were to be mixed together?

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

Francium+water :lol:

OR

Magnesium+Oxygen :lol:

WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T LOOK INTO THE LIGGGGGGHHHHHHHHT......... :shock:

hmm. most people wont put francium because its radioactive, but its even beter than cessium or rubidium. I want to see what happens when francium meets flourine, im sure something blows up.

And ya, burning magnesium will blind you if you look at it directly (you can still use perefrial vision though). Wasent the frame of the hindenbourg at least partily magnesium?

the works bomb is probably the best bomb you can get your hands on. a couple friends and i did it a couple weeks ago. pretty sweet. (toilet cleaner + aluminum)

Yeah because that hasn't been mentioned in the topic three times already.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Potassium permanganate and hydrchloric acid. The result is chlorine :twisted:

Ammoniumnitrate and Chlorine. The result is nitrogen trichloride, which is very explosive and unstable. Also nitrogen triiodide is a fun compound. It can be set to explode with a feather! And whin in a pile, it will explode under its own weight.

Cydoor.png

Fire and Deodarent.

Try and think of some chemical names for that, smarty pantses :P !

Its a shame i can't spell deoderant. :oops:

deodorant some carbon stuf

liek C(something)H(sometihng) and esters when heated will change into CO2 and H2O

none...i despise chemistry

i find it interesting and all, but my teacher's chem tests were sooo hard lol. compared to all the other chem teachers, our class average was 5% lower (big difference huh?)

he was a great professor, made the class enjoyable. it was just that his tests have a reputation around campus for being very difficult.

so...i dunno, maybe because i got a 76% this semester in chem is why i don't like it :-w

I like N2O+Lungs the best :P

Best thing that I've personally seen (through the reflection on glass cabinets) was the teacher lighting a rod of magnesium on fire (I think it was mg). Other than that our classes were boring :(

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.