Speaking to an audience.

Markup

This is a thread for people to share tips, stories and problems you have with speaking to an audience.

I refused and swore at a teacher who tried to force me to speak infront of my class.

~MAK

i dio that tioo,. io refuse tio talk,. tioo much attention,. keybord is broken,. just gio through what u r giong to say sio u diont mess up

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

i hate public speaking and am glad that school is over because of it. I dont have a lack of confidence at all, i just never really believed the crap i had to talk about, and as a result, thought i would sound like an idiot.

My tips - believe what you are saying, try to memorise it well (even if not off by heart)

Refusal = F

I just cant help but feel that its somewhat cruel for some kids.

I can see how it would be quite cruel, but it's still something we all have to do. And I need to stop being so nervous.. I'm taking speech (along with all my other English classes) next year. I had a choice between speech and acting, and I definitly won't do acting :P

I'm usually nervous when I do it but I always just suck it up and present whatever it is I need to. Refusal = F, I need good grades or my parents will kill me <.<

I guess more is exspected of you as you as you get older. I was 12 at the time and my teacher understood in the end.

Yes, I hate talking about my work even though I know it's good.

~MAK

I'm usually nervous when I do it but I always just suck it up and present whatever it is I need to. Refusal = F, I need good grades or my parents will kill me <.<

I guess more is exspected of you as you as you get older. I was 12 at the time and my teacher understood in the end.

Yes, I hate talking about my work even though I know it's good.

~MAK

You're lucky your work is good. Most of my work is pretty much half a*ed so it's quite embarassing presenting after a kid who's worked really hard just presented :-s #-o

I used to be deathly afraid of it. They say most people would rather die than speak in front of an audience. I used to be one of those people. When I was in 9th grade, my Biology teacher made us write five-page reports every month and read them in front of the class for a 200-point grade. Not wanting to fail the class, I did them. I was glad to be out of his class after 9th grade, because I always got nervous on report day, but I had him again in 10th grade for a higher level Biology class. #-o And this time, we had to write these reports every three weeks. It was tough at first, but after awhile, I just got over it and it didn't bother me anymore.

I took Speech this year, and I had to memorize a speech and get up in front of the class, maintain eye contact with the audience and deliver it for a certain amount of time. I did five of them. :D And it didn't bother me one bit.

Trust me, no one knows that you're nervous and if you do a good job and take it seriously, people will admire you for being able to do something that requires a lot of courage. Everyone in my Speech class used to congratulate me on a good Speech. ^_^ So, it's no big deal. :P

3898000bYVcx.png

Be prepared and make room for flexibility, it won't go exactly to plan but having rehersed things to say is always good to keep you on track, leave room for questions and get people involved, it takes the tension of you and turns into to something the audience can relate to. Being funny helps too even when you're doing something serious.

vistame09copyhr8.png

I find it easy to talk with friends in a group.

But talking to a whole class with teachers marking you i find hard.

Every now and then i stutter and that throws me off my speech.

But if theres a topic i feel comfortable about its alright

newsigzl2.jpg

^Sir Jem 05-The Bunny Drinking Blog?^ Click it!

tetsupportsig2.jpg

Wow. You are getting up infront of your friends, they are your grade etc..I don't see why you would be afraid. Not that big of a deal, it's just words?

I consider a lot of people friends, but I go to a school with 1,700 other students. I'm comfortable being in front of a group of my close friends, but when I'm in front of a class of 30-40 students I hardly know, I get nervous. Oh, and I'm no good with words verbally. I'm not so bad on paper though and this nice little spell checker on the Google toolbar helps me out here and there ;) Speaking of which, I want everyone who doesn't have at least somewhat decent spelling skills to download the Google toolbar and spell check your post before submitting it.

Public Speaking = FTL!

My lip starts quivering and then you hear my screwed up voice start shaking. I get too nervous up there.

Oh and Deloria, I respect your choice to go to speech instead of acting. That's what I would have done :lol:

At least I wouldn't get showed up in Speech :P. Everybody's bad at Public Speaking :wink:

Guest AshKaYu

Public speaking is one of the few things I'm good at. Remember, always talk slower than necessary. Look over the audiences head, it will make them believe you have eye contact with them. Enunciate. If you're really really nervous without any time to practice, just pretend only one person is there and they are in the center.

Talking in front of people? Not really a problem.

What I do have a problem with is similar with warrior. In terms of school, I find it amazingly hard to deliver speeches [usually in English] because I rarely ever believe the spiel I'm dolling out. I have this annoying habit of needing to tell the truth, and it prohibits me greatly when I view English as a matter of constructing a verbose piece of manure and attempting to sell it to someone.

On paper, I can do it - but trying to convince an audience of it when I don't believe it myself?

I scoff!

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

I used to not like. I don't mind it now. I'm pretty outgoing- I don't have any problem speaking in front of people I don't know very well.

Me too, but when I was 12 I flinched on my first oral exam, a total black-out, that's how nervous I was. But now I barely have a problem with it anymore. I actually kinda like speeching in front of an audience. And I don't like exams, but I prefer oral exams to written exams; they're so unpersonnal and if you're wrong, you can't correct yourself. Our professors are often very friendly and witty people, so I play their game with them; I tend to joke a lot when giving answers, that calms me down and it shows I know my courses well.

Bill Hicks[/url]":dhj2kan9]Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.

heinzny2.jpg

I rarely ever believe the spiel I'm dolling out.

always talk slower than necessary.

Last year (my freshman year) we only had to do one big speech for English. We were allowed to choose any subject we pleased so I found something I believed and went with it. My subject was how Wal-Mart was harming the U.S. My speech had to be 5 minutes long with a slide show. I had it all done up nicely and I had even timed myself to be sure the speech was at least 5 minutes and I was about 30 seconds over. Of course I got nervous and ended up doing the speech in 2 minutes and 30 seconds -.- I ended up with a C overall.

I rarely ever believe the spiel I'm dolling out.

always talk slower than necessary.

Last year (my freshman year) we only had to do one big speech for English. We were allowed to choose any subject we pleased so I found something I believed and went with it. My subject was how Wal-Mart was harming the U.S. My speech had to be 5 minutes long with a slide show. I had it all done up nicely and I had even timed myself to be sure the speech was at least 5 minutes and I was about 30 seconds over. Of course I got nervous and ended up doing the speech in 2 minutes and 30 seconds -.- I ended up with a C overall.

Yeah, the key to do a good presentation is... presentation. A professor of ours once said that 70% of the students that sound calm and confident pass their oral exams, not taking into account if their answers are correct. A student that sounds extremely nervous has a far greater chance to fail even though his answers might be better than the confident one.

Bill Hicks[/url]":dhj2kan9]Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is, that it is vibrating. And since all vibrations are theoretically sound, then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such.

heinzny2.jpg

over the summer i had to do like 3 minutes of a speech in front of all my friends, teachers, and important people from the KNEX corp. All i did was find a good friend in the audience and stare at them. THis way you can see something comforting and still look like your looking into the audience. If you dont know anyone stare at someone in the middle.

I did just fine and i even have a speech problem.

Sig

i hate memorizing french projects.. so i dont :) though it brings my mark from a 95 on it to like 85

dcfclogo4.jpg

[Admin Edit: Attempting to publicly humiliate a user in your signature is inappropriate]

Quit Runescape... Dec 2001 - Jan 2008 on and off... mostly off.

I don't really enjoy speaking in front of audiences, but I'll do it. The only problem is my voice hasn't changed yet(13) :( and it sounds wicked wierd and annoying, not to mention I have a speech impediment, so I get made fun of a lot. I hate it. :?

You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "(bleep) you" right under your nose. Try it sometime. I think, even, if I ever die, and they stick me in a cemetery, and I have a tombstone and all, it'll say "Holden Caulfield" on it, and then what year I was born and what year I died, and then right under that it'll say "(bleep) you."