Arranged marriage is barbaric

Faux

I think marriage is supposed to be for two people who are truly 125% devoted to each other. This assures a long lasting, loving relationship. Arranged marriage sorta breaks this up, as you might not feel for the other person as deeply as your parents might want. So I'm pretty much against it.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I hate about the arrogance of western society,they think anyway which is not their way is the wrong way. They have been doing for hundreds of years, powerful families coming together to create an even more powerful family.

Do you think the indians were savages and barbaric because the way they got their meat wasnt hidden in the dark corner of society and done in a building in the middle of nowhere? It is their culture and shouldnt be messed with

The world would be a whole lot better if little green men in UFO's came down to earth to abduct rednecks.

Unless you live in an oriental country,africa or middle east then you are considered a westerner.

The world would be a whole lot better if little green men in UFO's came down to earth to abduct rednecks.

Unless you live in an oriental country,africa or middle east then you are considered a westerner.

Yep, I guess filipinos, chinese, japanese and most russian people are 'western' then. Except they're not. Shadowfax is from one of those countries.

I think it's a very barbaric tradition. My other parent, father, is islamic by religion and he'd never even thought of forcing a marriage on me. It's purely a cultural habit that happens in certain countries regardless of religion, mostly in low-income countries with little education.

It has nothing to do with "respect". It should not be respected. Do you think people who'd still use slaves deserve 'respect' because it's their culture? No they don't, they deserve a slap.

It's an exactly similar scenario of limiting personal freedom, and slavery is not widely accepted anymore regardless what the Bible and Qur'an or any other books say about it (both support owning slaves, but that tradition is gone)

And no, it has nothing to do with religion. Like pointed out earlier it happens even in places with no 'real' religion (though the chinese do have traditional religion but it has nothing to do with it).

Ethnocentrism - the feeling that one's group has a mode of living, values, and patterns of adaptation that are superior to those of other groups.

It is coupled with a generalized contempt for members of other groups.

Ethnocentrism may manifest itself in attitudes of superiority or sometimes hostility.

Violence, discrimination, proselytizing, and verbal aggressiveness are other means whereby ethnocentrism may be expressed.

~HighBeam Encyclopedia~

Don't judge other people just like that. If something needs to be changed in their society, let them do it themselves. <.<

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

I think most of y'all are missing the point of arranged marriages. Back in the classical periods and in some cases of the post-classical periods (mostly the Chinese civilizations), arranged marriages were ideal. Life back then was totally based on social stratification. If you were born a peasant, you stayed a peasant (or serf if you wanted to, but that's OT), if you were born in the higher castes, you usually stayed in the higher castes.

In fact in China, besides the examination system, MOST people in leading positions did not EARN their positions by YEARS of studying and test-taking, but instead were BORN into it. However, if a women were to marry someone of a higher social level, then she would be promoted. It's basically the only way for a women to be seen as something in the community, elsewise they'd be nothing. An example is all the beautiful women who stayed in the emperor's palace just hoping to become a concubine so their status could be boosted.

Also, I don't believe that love was that important in those times. I read somewhere in the post about feet-binding. Feet-binding back then was not purely for looks, but was a way to limit, literally, how far women could be. With feet like that, women could not run away or do hard work, but were instead confined to housework. But it's not only the Chinese that praticed confining women, the Western civilization also did it in the form of corsets.

So in short, arranged marriages were highly looked upon in those times due to all the positive attributes. Love meant close to nothing.

^That's all from memory from my WHAP course, so I'm not saying that's 100% accurate, but it gives a good reason why arranged marriages were so good.

But arranged marriages in 1st world countries is stupid IMO. 3rd world countries I can understand.

Back in the classical periods and in some cases of the post-classical periods (mostly the Chinese civilizations), arranged marriages were ideal.

Hi, welcome to the 21st century

Don't judge other people just like that. If something needs to be changed in their society, let them do it themselves. <.<

I never claimed that my culture is superior to them, but it doesn't mean a culture should be immune 'just because'. That's just silly.

Back in the classical periods and in some cases of the post-classical periods (mostly the Chinese civilizations), arranged marriages were ideal.

How'd I get here? O_o

Nah, just saying why like 3rd world countries still do it. If you read all the way down, I said I thought arranged marriages were stupid for countries such as America, Europe, China, etc.

Just giving another point of view for more fun. :P

I never claimed that my culture is superior to them, but it doesn't mean a culture should be immune 'just because'. That's just silly.

Maybe not, but still you were implying that the whole thing is bad.

And that reply was not just intended for you.

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

Arranged or not, marriage is a joke.

Explain

With the current US divorce statistics (over 50% of married couples will divorce), it's quite theatrical.

Why promise "till death do us apart" if you'll be offset by the smallest problems? If almost, or over, half of the population gets a divorce in their lives, they all can't have deadly serious issues. They divorce just because they can.

Ya know what else is scary, 2 month year old babies being "married". Yeh, creepy. :|

Not really, they're marriages are just arranged so they marry when they're older, like late teens.

I think marriage is supposed to be for two people who are truly 125% devoted to each other. This assures a long lasting, loving relationship. Arranged marriage sorta breaks this up, as you might not feel for the other person as deeply as your parents might want. So I'm pretty much against it.

Well I guess all marriages will fail because you can't devote 125%. Not physically possible. Lol.

Now, by devotion you mean commitment? Well marriages are already screwed up with the divorce rates and such.

Explain

Moving on, marriages today don't tend to last, I can get a link tomorrow if you don't believe it. Many things keep a marriage together but don't expect it to be all flowers. Marriages are tough. Tasks are divided, arguments, fights, silence, hate, anger, all of these are normal parts of marriage.

Just wanted to point it out.

I don't agree with it. But I'm not going to force my views on other cultures making them change it.

I don't think it's barbaric btw.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Are you Homosexual? Serious question. Because the only people who I've heard say that marriage is a joke are homos to this day.

Anyway back on topic, I wonder if people would like arrange marriages (particularly the males out there) if your family hooked you up with the woman of your dreams (particularly physically), and you wouldn't have any chance with her if it wasn't through an arranged marriage. The chances of it happening would be minimal, but I'm quite curious.

I for one am against them, but its not in my culture so it all depends on people's beliefs, traditions etc. :wink:

Are you Homosexual? Serious question. Because the only people who I've heard say that marriage is a joke are homos to this day.

As said earlier, it's a joke because of the high divorce rates and how people take "til death do you part" very lightly.

It's hardly barbaric, but I think that people should be able to choose the people they spend the rest of their lives with. That said, arranged marriages often last longer than chosen ones.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

It's hardly barbaric, but I think that people should be able to choose the people they spend the rest of their lives with. That said, arranged marriages often last longer than chosen ones.

I think that's kind of odd. People claim that a relationship where you "find" your own love lasts longer because it is based on a foundation of free will, etc. But in reality, it's visa versa. Although happiness is not included in this.

I think that's kind of odd. People claim that a relationship where you "find" your own love lasts longer because it is based on a foundation of free will, etc. But in reality, it's visa versa. Although happiness is not included in this.

True, and the marriage's longevity might only be down to religious beliefs or cultural values.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

But its their culture.
In some cultures they belived it was ok to sacrifice young girls so sun and rain Gods. That doesnt make it ok.

Therer are stories in this country (England) where women and girls from mainly Pakistani backgrounds are just flown back to Pakistan for an arranged marriage against their will and they have their passports taken away so they cannot return. Its sickening. I don't care if its someones religion or culture, its against human rights and should be stopped.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12