what operating system do you use!! :thumbsup:

spacheco

My main operating system is Linux/FreeBSD. Though, I use others.. A vast number of these are ran through emulation/virtualization.

FreeDOS, PDP*, C64(Kernal), C128, Linux, Minix, Irix, GNU Hurd, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, DragonflyBSD, PC-BSD, Solaris, OpenSolaris, OpenDarwin, BeOS, Haiku, Plan 9, Inferno, OS/2, MenuetOS..

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wtf cadbury???? stop spamming

~! on topic dang! man thats a hella alot

OMG OMG SAILING IS COMING LOLOLOLOL!!!1111 b/c JAGEX GAMES STUDIO , ANAGRAM OF SAITO JUDGE X-GAMES

TAKASHI SAITO= RED SOX P1TCHER... RED SOX = BOSTON, BOSTON = PORT CITY!!!! PORT CITY = SAILING

[what the heck] cadbury???? stop spamming

~! on topic dang! man thats a hella alot

Yeah, I've *tried* many more, but I usually don't have much time for my operating system hobbies anymore.

At one time I was developing my own microkernel, but then dumped it later. The task is really rigorous, a lot of research is involved, though I'm developing towards the subject of kernel development, so knowing a vast number of operating systems and their mechanics is always a nice task.

linux has but loads of software you just need to knwo how to run it im 13 i learned like in 1 month ::' and linux cant get viruses its impossible same wit mac

No, people just don't try, they know you're suffering enough.

LOL.

boratto.jpg

linux has but loads of software you just need to knwo how to run it im 13 i learned like in 1 month ::' and linux cant get viruses its impossible same wit mac

LOL.

•  

[*:3p1m02zl]More secure defaults. By default, some ports are blocked off. Users don't have administrative privileges.

[*:3p1m02zl]Newly created files cannot be executable.

I was going to write a larger list, but I've found an article that explains better than I could, google for more information.

http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=virus

LOL.

•  

[*:3u7pl0uc]More secure defaults. By default, some ports are blocked off. Users don't have administrative privileges.

[*:3u7pl0uc]Newly created files cannot be executable.

I was going to write a larger list, but I've found an article that explains better than I could, google for more information.

http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=virus

no, I just thought that what he said was funny.

I didnt really mean it in a sarcastic way, if thats what you thought.

::'

boratto.jpg

Im using XP Pro, but im working on putting Ubuntu on dual boot.

XP is great for gaming and ease of use.

About "Windows loves virus" posts, if your stupid enough not to have a antivirus, put on windows firewall (its not that bad) and not run run antispyware software every so often then you deserve a bit of trouble.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

WinXP Home for me. I don't know why you guys are complaining so much. I don't crash every 5 seconds, I don't have 5000 viruses, and I don't have pop up ads all over the place. Works just fine for me.

==================================

Retired tip.it moderator.

Teaching and inspiring.

well as i said in a post abouve ...

microsft!! bah its gonna has more viruses than pamella anderson XD

OMG OMG SAILING IS COMING LOLOLOLOL!!!1111 b/c JAGEX GAMES STUDIO , ANAGRAM OF SAITO JUDGE X-GAMES

TAKASHI SAITO= RED SOX P1TCHER... RED SOX = BOSTON, BOSTON = PORT CITY!!!! PORT CITY = SAILING

but seriously vista sucks

You know to automatically disregard someone's opinion when they say something 'sucks'.

fractalsignature2lq4.jpg

Mac OSX 10.4.8

It rules everything.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

If it sucked so much, it wouldn't be in use as the defacto business desktop on most corporate systems, no matter how much you or your father kick and scream. The elitist attitude you're showing here is another reason people shy away from *nix based OSes. They don't like being told they're stupid when they're new to something.

I've used Windows all my life, I've NEVER been infected by anything like you say Vista will be. Period. The same goes for the other 5 towers and laptops in my immediate family. The fact you're kicking and screaming about viruses and infections before it's even been released to the public also shows how worthless your arguments are.

You being 13 really shows through in the way you write your replys and writes you off as any kind of credit to the *nix OSes out there. I know I sure as hell wouldn't touch it if you were the first person to tell me about it. Your dad did well in teaching you to mindlessly hate MS.

what operating system do you use

MS-DOS

Windows 3.11

Windows 98

Windows XP Media Center

Windows XP Pro

Windows Server 2003 (trial version)

I'll get Linux in a few days... I've used most of the Windows OS, but I'll try something different.

-=Aznhuskarl=- Cleric

-=20Cent=- Juggernaught

More to come...

iBook : Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

Powermac: Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger and OS 9.2

iMac: Mac OS X 10.3 Panther

another iMac: Mac OS 8.5

Macintosh Performa 400: Mac OS 7.3

PC: Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux

These are all my computers and my mum uses Windows XP home on her PC

tip.it_sig-20070704-170119.jpg

Ignoring the entire "virus" aspect, since a properly maintained windows system can be just as secure as a linux system, I use Ubuntu/Xubuntu linux for the following reasons:

I don't have to register my OS.

I don't have to activate(and reactivate) my OS.

I don't have to pay for MS equivalent software.

I have a say what goes in(and out) of my system.

I control the look and feel of my system, out of the box.

I have much more variety of core programs.

I have a huge repository of non-core programs to choose from, all located in one simple place.

For the tasks that I personally do, linux does them better in every single aspect.

If, for some reason, I need a simple MS application, wine is there.

Dual-booting Windows XP Pro and Vista RC2. At the moment, Vista has been more reliable haha. If not for the lack of true drivers, it would be a very nice OS.

I really don't see why many people pounce on the subject of Windows Vista and try to say how bad it is.

Guest Josh21657

It would be better if you didn't make the first post biased.

Linux is not "bad" in anyway, but there really is no reason to use it instead of Windows. And secondly you don't compare Windows Vista to anything until it's out of beta... Even then you should not get it until SP1 comes out. I don't have any sympathy for people whining about getting viruses on Windows Vista since it hasn't even been officially released yet. Also with a decent anti-virus program all your virus troubles should be gone. And you can fix any virus troubles with keeping a backup of your system. Macintosh is fine for kids who can't understand how to use Windows or Linux and need help booting up the computer.

Windows is the smartest choice, but if you've jumped on the anti-Microsoft bandwagon (for whatever reason... :roll: ) then go to Linux. Neither will disappoint you.

Using Windows is like playing a Linear RPG. Using Unix is like playing a Non-Linear RPG.

Let me see, starting from the beginning

Bootloader -

Windows: Same generic (NTLDR) bootloader.

Linux: Choice between multiple bootloaders, Lilo, Grub, etc.

Kernel -

Windows: Kernel is updated every meta release (I.E., Windows XP -> Windows Vista), no modification, no configuration.

Linux: Kernel is updated every few months, with updates that can be acquired from git periodically (Often multiple submits a day). There are an abundance of custom patch-sets for the Linux kernel, as well as large-scale modifications to port it to alternate platforms (I.E., a Dreamcast). You can configure almost every aspect of it, via the .config file.

Userland Tools -

Windows: Comes with nothing useful.

Linux: Often comes with the GNU Userland tools, I'm not aware of any alternative. (Would BSD userland tools work here?)

Desktop Environment -

Windows: Forced to use 'explorer.'

Linux: KDE, Gnome, XFCE for desktop environments, as well as countless 'stand-alone' Window Managers (100+).

Open Development -

Windows: On the few odd randomly-downloaded software.

Linux: Kernel, Userland tools, and almost all external utilities are open source. Most are under the GPL or BSD/MIT licenses allowing for distribution (GPL: With source code).

Package Management -

Windows: Click and install, click and uninstall - not reliable, not built to support more exotic and desirable options.

Linux: Varies from distribution to distribution. Though, most have a type of database that stores installed packages, upgrading all packages, or a specific package simultaneously, install/remove packages reliably, resolve dependency and automatically install them, resolve reverse dependencies, etc.

Hardware Support -

Windows: Often drivers come directly from the manufacturer. Though, it only supports few architectures (x86, x86_64, and ia64, previously alpha), and cannot be ported without Windows doing it, and I seriously doubt Windows will port it to anything other than x86-related.

Linux: Ported to over thirty CPU architectures, if a vendor does not release official drivers it is often reverse engineered. Ported to many exotic systems, and used in many embedded devices that require low-resources and high responsiveness.

And honestly, I don't care to go on. I don't want my operating system forcing things on me (like DRM, or a resource-hungry interface), and too much is unknown. In Linux, everything is non-linear, open-source, and if you want to know how something works -- it's openly available for you. The software library, contrary to popular belief, is quite large. And that's only one offset of Unix.. BSD is more impressive in many aspects. Minix is also quite impressive kernel-wise. Oh, and guess what -- most Unix operating systems are under Posix compliance keeping source compatibility (And sometimes binary) between them.

There are other operating systems other than Windows, and Unix derivatives as well. Some are becoming very impressive and one day may rival Windows and Unix derivatives.