Redesigning the Wilderness

swampjedi

Instead of pk-only servers, introduce a new quest. Something to do with Guthix and balance and Void Knights and all that jazz. When you beat it, you can talk to this wise sage dude that shows you what it would be like if Guthix hadn't shown up in the god wars --a world where Saradomin wins, and a world where Zamorak wins. (Something like an alternate plane of RuneScape.)

Sara world would be boring. Zammy world would be wilderness practically everywhere, the level varying, depending on how far you are from a city. (Such as making level 1-5 in a city, but increasing outside the walls.) Maybe even throw in a nice xp bonus for training there thanks to all the extra risks. (5 xp per hit or something.) If you die, you lose everything.

On second thought, scratch it. People would still hug the safer areas.

Too much like trammel for UO, and if that taught us anything it means that the "zammy zone" will be completly void of life except for the "portal" when you get there. It'd be a distaster IMO.

I agree with bluelancer that there needs to be an incenitive. Plus, think about it, are you going to go train naked? No, you'll have equipment -- equipment you can use to fight.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there should be a kill count. Now I use my ignore list. ie. anyone i kill I put on ignore. This helps stop the insults from sore losers, but I also miss the rematch challenges.

It would be good to keep track of who've you killed and what their name was, so re challenge them and stuff.

Also, NO RANDOMS. They can cause death when fighting a respectable person, in which rules are applied.

Sorry if someone already suggested these.

-A whole different lay out.

-Prayer only in multi.

-No teleing past 10. (1-10=lurers)

-If your level 50 and a level 60 attacked you in level 10 wildy he can keep attacking you until there out of wildy. (10 second delay = so if you haven't hit them in 10 seconds it will resert so they can't attack them anymore unless there in reach of attacking level.)

-Different hugging methods

Quit RuneScape :)

Instead of pk-only servers, introduce a new quest. Something to do with Guthix and balance and Void Knights and all that jazz. When you beat it, you can talk to this wise sage dude that shows you what it would be like if Guthix hadn't shown up in the god wars --a world where Saradomin wins, and a world where Zamorak wins. (Something like an alternate plane of RuneScape.)

Sara world would be boring. Zammy world would be wilderness practically everywhere, the level varying, depending on how far you are from a city. (Such as making level 1-5 in a city, but increasing outside the walls.) Maybe even throw in a nice xp bonus for training there thanks to all the extra risks. (5 xp per hit or something.) If you die, you lose everything.

Too much like trammel for UO, and if that taught us anything it means that the "zammy zone" will be completly void of life except for the "portal" when you get there. It'd be a distaster IMO.

I agree with bluelancer that there needs to be an incenitive. Plus, think about it, are you going to go train naked? No, you'll have equipment -- equipment you can use to fight.

It wouldn't replace the current wilderness --merely another place for pvp. But I do agree, the entry portal would probably be the only spot populated (except for perhaps roving teams of pkers). Just an idea I thought up in my free time. I don't even like it myself much, after I thought it over.

I really am serious about the second suggestion, however. I don't know how many kills I've lost to aggressive NPCs 1/7 my level. That would help out pkers while still making single-zone safer than multi.

A 3 second food rule will only encourage safing. People will no longer eat 2 lobs once down to 26 or so hp, they will eat up at 30 instead ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ prolonging fights and making KOÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ing almost impossible.

I like the 5 second delay in between fights in non-multi to deter pjers.

I really like the no-tele once in a fight suggestion ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ but maybe change it so that itÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s a ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¹Ãâif you get hit while casting the spell, it doesnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t work, AND you lose the runes. Dropping the no-tele to level 10 is also nice.

Underground city (non-wildy) containing PvP type quests would be great. With decent rewards for killing say 3-5 people within 10 levels of your own would spice up wildy for a while, although has potential to be abused.

Develop a way to get rid of level 3 looters. Make the person who gets the pile see the pile on top of everything else. Same rules as current apply however once the pile is available to everyone tho. Otherwise DDÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ing on top of 15 or so ashes would make a clan invincible.

Develop a F2P quest that gives a tele lever to boneyard or similar available. A suitable requirement would be 40 def which would enable the rune pkers to get back any lost loot by catching the pure on their way back.

Make the exp you get when fighting PvP more than normal monsters. You eat a heap more, and get a fraction of the experience you would otherwise get from monsters. Make it a viable training method.

The multi/non multi part of wildy is not clear. They should be better defined. New areas of interest are required both for P2P and F2P ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ it is stale at the moment, and areas that have worked well in the past seem to be ones that have a reward worth the risk, i.e. green drags. Set up more areas to train in, either through edge dungeon (make it deeper), new dungeons in wildy (heaps of room for these here), or even extend it further north.

Team areas in wildy are lacking. We have to resort to giants, castle or gdz in F2P, that is about it. More spice certainly available here.

My 2p anyhoo.

It wouldn't replace the current wilderness --merely another place for pvp. But I do agree, the entry portal would probably be the only spot populated (except for perhaps roving teams of pkers). Just an idea I thought up in my free time. I don't even like it myself much, after I thought it over.

I really am serious about the second suggestion, however. I don't know how many kills I've lost to aggressive NPCs 1/7 my level. That would help out pkers while still making single-zone safer than multi.

I'm not sure if I completely understand the portal idea, but to stop people from standing by the portal, waiting for people to come in, couldn't they do it so you appear somewhere random in the 'PK World'?

thesip2.jpg

It really has

My main problem with the wilderness is the emptyness. Not just of people, but of anything wilderness-like. Just the occasional patch of lava, dead body, patheticly weak NPC, or a Green Dragon Autoer. I'm able to run from level 50 wilderness back to Edge without seeing one white dot except for a bot. [hehe, rhyme]

There needs to be obstacles. Tons of them. Trees or holes to hide in, crumbling cities like Meiyerditch with Agility obstacles and multiple stories. Also, make it so the KQ doesn't drop the D2H. Why would you go to the Elemental when you can go to the KQ? More people would kill the CE because the price would go up meaning more people to PK.

Where the Pirate Ship is now, add a new Ring of Visibility ghost that will pilot the ship to a new island. The island will be a volcano, but it will have Gem Rocks, Gold Rocks, Silver, 5 Rune Rocks, Limestone, and a Marble Rock [90 mining, 30 minute respawn, gives Marble Chunk which needs 80 crafting to be made into a block]. However, the heat of the Volcano gives a desert effect that causes all picks less than Rune to become too hot to handle, and has a great chance of the 'Break Pickaxe' random.

The Wilderness Level? 123. That's right, no safe haven for anyone. Keep in mind that the island is far away from the bank and a hopefully repopulated Wilderness stands between the miner and a bank. Inside a cave on the island, you will find Dust Devils, Pyrefiends, Fire Elementals, and Fire Giants. There will also be Fire Warriors [level 63, aggressive] that will work kind of like the Wild Dogs in Brimhaven.

On the shore of the island, there will be Burning Trees. Cut one of them [only with a Rune Axe], and you can get Burning Logs. Use a knife on the burning logs to get an unstrung Burning Bow. Once strung, it becomes a level 60 range bow that fires all arrows. It will randomly catch an opponent on fire, generating similar effects to the Fire Pits in a Player Owned House dungeon.

At the very top of the volcano is a group of 5 Red Dragons, 2 Greens, 7 Blue, and 2 Black, as well as a King Gold Dragon [level 375]. Its Dragonfire hits in the 70s, making Anti-Fire Pots a must. With melee it can hit 60 as a max, which is fair considering Ket-Zek [level 360] can hit similarly. For Range, it will stomp its feet on the ground and cause Lava Bombs to fly up from the Volcano which can hit 20 over a 3x3 area. It will have 403 HP.

The area will be multi-combat. This means your friends can come help out, but that you'll be teamed by the other Dragons. Drops from the beast include Fire Runes [400], Chaos Runes [100], Death Runes [75], Blood Runes [50], Tuna+Corn Potatoes [1-4], Dragon Medium Helm, Shield Halfs, Gems, every Rune item except the Halberd, Claws, Boots, and Gloves, 9 Gold Bars [100%], Dragon Bones, various Addy/Mith junk, GP [40-3000], Clue Scrolls [level 3], Lava Battlestaff, Dragon Spears, Gold Leaf [1-3], Dragonstone Jewelry, Yew Logs [100], Teak Planks [50], Weapon Poison [p++], Compost Potions, and two new drops for Mages and Warriors:

- Golden Staff

+ 20 to Magic Attack and +15 to Magic Defense, can autocast Wave Spells, Saradomin Strike, and Crumble Undead. Needs 75 Magic to use.

- Golden Lasso

Similar stats as a whip, but it needs 75 Attack and Strength to wield. As a special, it entangles your opponent.

A new boss monster, a resource-rich island, and new items should bring people heading to the upper levels of the wilderness for that boat. But, what about the rest of the wilderness?

- No teleporting. At all. It may seem harsh on skillers, but the Wilderness isn't Candyland.

- Yew/Magic Trees, more Rune Deposits, unique spawns, and high level monsters placed around the Wilderness. All resources will have their respawn time cut in half. The Marble Rock on the mentioned island will still have a half hour respawn time.

- I personally like the Wilderness Teleporters. But, I think they should be removed and replaced with one Teleport Box in the very middle of the Wilderness. Put in some random coordinates, and see where you end up in the Wild. Will you be next to the Rune Rocks, or in the Clan War?

- If you try to eat food and if it healed you it would go above your HP, you will be damaged for the amount that goes over.

- Quests. Tons of quests with rewards that involve weekly profits like Bert the Sandman. People would return to get the rewards, making targets for PKers. Perhaps something involving Herblore Secondarys, I know several people would go to the Wilderness for that kind of reward.

- A one-way Fairy Ring by the Moss Giant area. Meaning, you could go from Zanaris to there but not back to Zanaris.

- New kinds of Canoes that hold more than one person that travel up a new river to higher Wilderness levels.

- Tons more Multicombat areas.

- The Zamorak Mage attacking people trying to PK Runecrafters.

Oddment1.png

This is definitly a good topic, when I started playing(how long ago was that :-k ) I remember going into the wilderness with freinds and seeing if we could kill other groups of people our level. Now you cant do that because at my level the other people can hit 40's so it ruined the fun of it and added a sense of danger especailly when doing a clue scroll.

I would like to see the wilderness expanded and get a few graphical updates just like the rest of the game... Anyways that would make it seem more scary and dangerous :ohnoes: , also if they added more things like old buildings that would be cool.

cw,righthand23.gif

We need to have an all out, death-in-the-air wilderness. A kill everyone everywhere thing. No level is safe, and the whole thing is multi. So pretty much just all level wilderness. Oh, and they should take away the protect one item as well.

~

One thing that could happen to the wilderness apart from getting a facelift to look a bit more lively to stop people complaining about prayer ect jagex could implement zones into the wilderness where you could not use prayer ect and then people would not complain because if a person wanted to use prayer then you would not go into the no prayer zone and both problems solved at once, no-one gets called a prayer noob and people can fight people who don't use prayer ect.

• 2 weeks later...

Adamfostas, very good ideas. =D>

I especially like the witchwood tree idea, this would add more "spunk" if you will to the wildy's environment. right now its just like grey and black and dead trees, and people killing eachother (there is more, so don't get me wrong) just there should be a bit more in it...

blackmfmcape,Issac%20Amisov.gif

Issac%20amisov.gif

CHECK OUT MY TOPIC TO 99 FIREMAKING

Proud Runescaper Since 2003

"Skiller Fo' Lyfe"

Maybe setting up a WHOLE wilderness city very deep which can be a safe zone (or not) with rewards for people training there (free non failable iron furnance, less amounts of coal used.

Things to make the wilderness alive with not just players looking for a quick money making KO.

I agree with the city idea but maybe only the bank is a safezone. but it has to be deep wildy (maybe lvl 30) and multicombat. It has to be a really big city with tunnels and towers and actual stuff you would find in a city like ardougne. Iron furnace? idk its a bit over the top. there would be constant wars there and it would be ruled by clans.

range- 69/70 ~ currently poor but with good stuff

strength- 64/70 ~go461-combat 71~

• 4 weeks later...

This would have to be on only a few worlds because of the un-spontaneousness of it. Just flat surface with no monsters. A fence running all the way threw the middle from lvl 1 to the top if the wild (half multi - half non-multi)

On the non-multi side you choose your opponent and fight to the death or until one of your runs out. You pay a fee for fighting someone (5-10k). You choose what lvl of wild you want to start fighting at, whether you want to allow food or not and both players automatically are skulled. You cannot use some prayer ex. protect item, smite, protect melee, ext. While in the wild(non-multi) you cannot attack anyone but the agreed player. Likewise attacked by other players. Once a player exit the wild the opponent is teleported too lvl 0 and he is given his fee of (5-10k) as well as that of his opponent. If a player is killed both players fees are returned. When a player kills his opponent he/she gets 1 minute to collect the said "loot" and is then teleported into lvl 0.

In the multi side the lvl of wild will be useless and instead you just fight people within 5 lvls of you. The multi is basically a free for all and should have some "major" rewards(such as a single respawn of an addy ore/bar) at higher lvls as it is dangerous. To get into the area of such rewards would cost 10k and you can be attacked by players within 20 lvls of you . Thanks for reading this far. These respawns would be very very slow however and cause people to wait and obviously be easy targets. Like non-multi this area would teleport free with the exception of being able to teleport their.

thank you.

deathnotesignature.png

Definatly should be a bank in the wildy, with two catches, have to wait 5 minutes after combat to use it, and the bankers don't trust skulled people!

There needs to be more treasure in the wilderness like the warning sign makes it sound! You know that sapphire on top of the spider hill west of the greaters? MAKE IT A DRAGONSTONE!

You know those people that just world hop to get the goodies, if you log out in deep wildy you should have to wait 5-10 minutes to log back in instead of 1 minute.

Make a few dungeons skattered around, with more monsters than brimhaven. Perhaps random events that happen only in the wilderness, put the WILD in WILDerness!

WFCrest.gif

1. You cannot attack or be attacked by players if you are carrying a clue scroll or Ring of Visibility.

2. A wilderness city(safe from pking), divided in two by a stretch of multi cb wilderness. A bank, and some filler buildings on one side, a clan arena(where you enter one room or another with your clan, whom you cannot attack), furnace & anvil, and a good mining spot on the other side.

3. More creatures, more detail.

4. Pking only servers, everything except towns are fair game.

There is no meaning or truth in life but that which we create for ourselves.

40678187bv4.jpg

There would be no random monsters apart from training spots, ie the axe hut. There wouldn't be so many trees near where people normally pk. 15 second delay on attacking people after they've been in a fight. You need more than 4 items to go into the wild (with an acceptable value, this is only to stop 3 iteming non skullers and 1 itemers with daggers).

Oh and you can't tele in the wild if you're skulled, this helps skillers and stops people being cheap when they're going to be beaten.

how about pvp worlds like someone said but every where is pvp except town citys ect so lvls 3 to 10 can att each other from outside lumbridge

to varroc and rimmington then the next will be 11 to 30

that will be cool the hole game would be in the wild cept for towns and places that would be so cool the wild will be 2 )( as big imagin lvl 200 wild

or something

Oh, a fun topic I see.

If I had the chance to redsign the wilderness I'd deffinitly start with making it more dangerous.

- Get rid of teleportation, period in the wilderness.

- Get rid of protection prayers in the wilderness.

Now that I have the obvious out of the way, I could see a huge revamp to the wilderness being benificial. For one, I would put better PvE rewards than there currently is in the wilderness. This would acompany the incresing difficulty of the wilderness by incresing the reward given in there. As an off-shot too I would perhaps make it so that there are some spawns that are "currently" in the wilderness outside of it. The wilderness would be the better spawns of that, aka. better loot, more of it, ect.

Revamping PvP is a hard one in the wilderness. The thing we need to keep in mind is that the games PvP is largly "luck" and level based. The only real way a lower level can beat a high level is through getting lucky hits. There really isn't any way to adress this issue, but we have to keep in mind it.

Fights in the wilderness are a big thing I want to talk about. Although I would love to see this implemention everywhere in the game a large part of it is PvP. Bassicly, give food a cooldown to use. Too many times in the wilderness people get the jump on someone, hit some amazing numbers in a row only to have the person spam their food and heal right through it. I'm not saying the cooldown has to be very long, but I think that a 3-5 second (not sure exactly) cooldown would be great. It would be very simular to runescape classic's "3 hit system" except that players would still be granted free movement. They also would have a choice of when to eat. What it would stop players from doing is spaming their food (because really, shoving 5 sharks down your throat in a matter of seconds? I know, horrible argument, but yeah).

I would also give the wilderness a bit more "life" and spice it up a bit. Perhaps even varrying factions in the wilderness a player could help out. Say that for every player of the opposing faction you kill (with diminishing returns, aka after you kill that same player say.. 3 times you don't get a reward) you get a reward from your faction. This could be anything from xp to an item reward, depending on the level of the enemy player.

However, the biggest thing that is "wrong" with the wilderness is just due to the games combat system. Like I said its very random and very much based off of numbers instead of player skill. A lone player (unless high level or very lucky) has no chance of beating two other players.

Now to PvP only servers. The fact is I would love to see them implemented, but they need to be made right:

- Make it so that the PvP only servers are their own "server cluster". Bassicly make it so that if you make a character on the PvP servers it can only visit PvP servers. This would make it so that you can't just hop on a PvE server when you want to be safe. A large part that makes world PvP "work" is the spontanious nature of it, knowning that you could get attacked at any moment.

- Create a level limit for attacking, possibly depending on the area. For example in the 'newbie' lands (around lumbridge for example) they could be safe areas. However, other more dangerous areas would have a higher level range for fighting players.

- Towns would be safe havens. This would be to insure that players can't get ganked while at the bank.

Personaly I'd love to see that.

I think that most of this is not too good..

Most of it is based around what they have in WoW, and the 'wildi' there (The pvp/pve servers) is totally pointless..considering the general approach of rs players, having the entire world as wildi (apart from towns etc) would be extremely annoying..say you run out of laws and need to walk to varrock from edge...or whatever..chances are people will always be there trying to attack..you'd need a team whenever you left towns.

However...this could work..but you should be able to transfer your acc from pvp to pve or whatever, because the idea of the whole world as wildi is pretty interesting and new scenary for fighting could be nice.

I do agree that the wildi is too luck based atm, however, I disagree about the food cooldown thing...food is the main thing that keeps people alive, there's nothing wrong with the food system.

A general graphic update would be nice for the wildi..and get rid of it being so luck based..I swear my 88 attack hits a lot less than it should, i'm not even joking...I very rarely hit my max on other players and never ever seem to hit when I need to....I think they need to update the machines or something.

Generally, I think teleporting and pray should be allowed because, like they say, wild is wild and there are no rules. Although irritating, I do like this, because it is fair for everyone..people complain about no honour, but at drags these days everybody prays, and if somebody's praying against you your gonna pray back, its a fact that everybody chooses pixels over internet honour..

Agreed with minor safety for skillers.

2 handed shield- adds 50hp (may go over max hp) but negates attack and strenght and mage and range for 1 minute after equipped. THe shield maynot be used to attack and should be made from rune after a quest and 99 smithing. Purely for extra hp and shnuold be tradable.

Onyx bracelet-60 seconds grace period. You may not be attacked by players for 60 seconds. You may not attack anything for 60 seconds. You have been teleblocked for 2 minutes-cancelling out any other teleblocks. poison damage still takes effect. Other effects still effect you such as freeze. Countdown in corner. may not be used in minigame (otherwise 20 of these at cwars/duel arena etc).

Onyx bracelet must be recharged at legends after each use.

each bracelet shoudl take a 5 second activitation time. One activiatino makes all bracelets in inventory lose their charge.

god staffs should be abnle to auto cast god spells.

all staffs should be able to auto crumble undead and similar miscellanious spells.

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...

• 4 weeks later...

If your skulled you shouldn't be able to pray, and you shouldn't be able to teleport away. If your not skulled, then you have the same rules as of current. I think you should also keep the same rules as of current if your skulled via abyss, but just lose all your stuff if you die.

vilnn2.png

Some people are like slinkies, normally they are dull, but they always give you a smile

when you push them down a flight of stairs.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not read all the replies, so this may have been suggested already but here is how I would change it.

Back in RSC when you could pk anywhere except in or around Lumby you had the choice of choosing to be pk or non-pk. That's what I'd introduce.

I'd get rid of the noob ditch and when you entered the wild you would get a menu appear asking if you want choose to be able to attack and be attacked by other players or not. You would also be able to set your options from the control panel, similar to turning on accept aid, to save you getting the menu all time.

If you choose pker option the following rules apply:

No level restrictions-you can attack anyone any level in any part of the wildy

No tele at any level

All wildy Multi combat

For non Pkers

Can only attack or be attacked by NPC's

No level restrictions on where you can tele

After 20 minutes in wildy you scull. leaving wildy resets timer. (wilderness is meant to be dangerous, this is price you pay for not being able to be pked)

Hmm.. I do agree that there are many things wrong with the wildy such as:

- low levels venturing too far.

- can't walk a few minutes without encountering a monster

A solution to these problems would probably introduce a large area where anyone can pk anyone else. Lets say that levels 1-15 still exist, but after that. Anyone can pk anyone. (so a level 126 can attack a level 3). This would stop free to players venturing far in wildy saftely. I did it while level 3, got up to ice giants without dying. I died there, however.

Just make a few areas with no monsters in it. So pker's can fight normally. Without being interrupted by monsters. So they can have fair fights.

I really can't think of any otehr ways to help make the wildy a better place apart from making it have better graphics.