Is luring an acceptable practice?

Kalphite_Queen

Luring is acceptable. To fall for it you must be pretty stupid. I mean, put two and two together. A player higher than yourself says "I need to trade in the wildy for that". You should know that they are capable of killing you if you walk into the wilderness. It is pathetic to get items like that, but it is perfectly acceptable. If you have been lured, it is your fault for trusting the lurer.

your pathetic obviously you dont know what luring is because they arnt always stronger than you sometime they have a friend just out of sight who when the trade window is up will use ice barrage to freeze you for 20 secs while they pull out a dds and spec you a few times so dont call me and other lurer victims stupid

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so you lure?

congratz to you!!!

don't you feel smart?

you just outsmarted someone who could be an 8 year old

wow...since people need to be over 13 to play the game... :roll:

no you dont need to be 13 to play and even if you did whats stopping and 8 year old from playing :roll:

I see luring as the worst kind of deception in the game. Keep in mind that many who play the game are, quite literally, children. Those who feel they have to resort to luring someone trusting enough to believe a stranger are both idiotic and without scruples. If someone, in real life, did something like this to either of my kids they'd end up in the hospital, and then jail.

luring is dumb

ppl that can't get their own money without luring are the worst, they dont have any values and its not right

lurers are the lowest in rs

some lurers are funny cause they actually think they have a chance

i counter them by wearing 3 rare stuff into the wildy and turn auto retaliate off

i get killed and they get nothing :)

i think it rong but if thay talk you into the wildy its not

me and my freinds tryed lurering but we realised it was to risky for us and ive bean lurerd so we desided we'd just go pking

Zarfay said

no you dont need to be 13 to play and even if you did whats stopping and 8 year old from playing

i say idiot it says at begining

tipitsigydr3.pngfrogber.gif Helm = Looks like a rabbit type animal is humping the back of your head

Meh, seriously its not acceptable there has been times when there was no box about the dangers of the wildy and there was no message to tell us the dangers of the wilderness. Has anyone noticed that on tutorial island there is no wilderness tutor anymore? before he used to tell you about all the danger but now hes gone, WHY?!

I have seen times when players have targetted players at a specific level so that they can be pked in the level 1 wildy by someone 1 lvl higher then them. Basically it shouldent be allowed and really wheres the fun in it?? its not a fair fight its just an easy way to get items that you havent earned.

To be honest its really low and unfair thing to do if its an i-experienced player who hasent seen it before. Remember the first time someone kicked you in the crotch? Wasnt fair was it? hurt like hell put you out of action for a bit and u learn never to do that again and maybe move when you see it coming. Its a low blow on everyone that works hard for thier money and we have to remember that by simple peer pressure we want to trust people its human instinct to not be naturally paranoid and to able to feel safe walking around the city in solid gold underwear?.

Why should we worry about people being greed and cowardly and attacking us from behind to steal our clothes or wallets? this type of luring does have effects on people in the real world. They trust some-one and it back-fires just because it was online doesnt mean its not going to hurt them. Runescape is not just a game anymore; its a community, its blood, sweat and yes unfortunately tears but that shouldent be used as an excuse. Runescape players mean a lot to people those Phats or santas are tokens to show thier friends how much they have (This is a psychological fact that money does influence people and that showing people you have money can influence them to do something at a low cost or that they wouldent normally do etc).

Lurers use the same method as described above. They tell someone they have a lot of money to influence them into coming into the wilderness or the dags or any other dangerous part of runescape so that they can simply take their items and not have to work for it.

An honest person who is just "educating some-one" would simply message them and ive them thier stuff back. Not be greedy but actually educate them without ruining their hard work.

Its also something i feel really strongly about if youve seen any of my other posts youll know that this is really long for me.

I mean when you look at it what is cheating? I would basically put it as anything that givees you an advantage to make something easier and faster by removing all aspects of danger beyond that of what the game makers intended. When we look at it yes safe spots could be seen as cheating when looked at it this way but there is still some danger of being hit as you get the enemy into the proper position but yes if im not fighting something ridiculous ly dangerous i try not to use the safespots but occasionally its just to hard with out it.

Seriously JaGEx, needs to pull its finger out and if they really need it im sure they could find plenty of volunteers to moderate in game for them in RSOF or TIF or any other well-meaning fansite, i for one would join up and help clean up the game because it just isnt fair and personally i think its cheating.

runemghost,anthony7489.gif

whats ingrediants for admiral pie?

1 admiral and some pastry

erkid"]

Define luring, if you would?

Tricking players too trade people in the wilderness while somebody else kills them.

Sounds bannable to me.

I see nothing wrong with luring due to the fact that only a complete idiot falls for a lurer's trap. I mean even if you don't realize your on your way to the wild you should notice the huge sign in the middle of your screen saying "Warning you are about to enter the wilderness other players can attack you." Personnaly i don't lure but if you can do it succesfully i don't see a problem with it.

wailord.png

If you choose your beliefs/lifestyle simply based on what your parents want, then you are a weak minded individual and are not even worthy of calling yourself a person.

Would I lure? No. Even if I could (As a p-mod I'm not allowed to lure, as it could be viewed as abusing my crown) I wouldn't do it. However, if you're smart enough to lure successfully and don't have a problem with doing it, good for you! Have fun. On the other hand, if you're stupid enough to fall for a lure, tough luck. Maybe next time you'll know better.

whats a p-mod? their is only J-mod,mod,and f-mod

I think it is. Survival of the smartest, I guess. I also think item scamming shouldn't exactly be against rules, either. Quite frankly, I don't think there would be such thing as "item scamming" if there weren't price guides existing, therefore RuneScape is supporting fan-sites, which they shouldn't do. But I DO agree that such a rule should exist or the market would be copletely stupid. I bet people would be selling full iron for like 10 mil everywhere and nobody would buy it. I do agree that it's unacceptable if someone were to sell complete junk items that are slightly rare...Say, leaves for 700k or so and tells them false info about it to buy it. But then again, this is a more of an issue of being mean or not... Basicly what I'm trying to say is that if you get scammed or lured, it's your fault, but that doesn't mean scammers should go crazy on scamming.

Would I lure? No. Even if I could (As a p-mod I'm not allowed to lure, as it could be viewed as abusing my crown) I wouldn't do it. However, if you're smart enough to lure successfully and don't have a problem with doing it, good for you! Have fun. On the other hand, if you're stupid enough to fall for a lure, tough luck. Maybe next time you'll know better.

whats a p-mod? their is only J-mod,mod,and f-mod

p mod is a player mod j mod is jagex mod and f mod is forum mod but player mods are sometimes just called mods without a letter 1st

98 % of ppl read quotes like this 1... if you are one of the 2 % that dont put this in your sig

:)

i know my quote makes no sense

i think it rong but if thay talk you into the wildy its not

me and my freinds tryed lurering but we realised it was to risky for us and ive bean lurerd so we desided we'd just go pking

Zarfay said

no you dont need to be 13 to play and even if you did whats stopping and 8 year old from playing

i say idiot it says at begining

java mods are a scam

tipitsigydr3.pngfrogber.gif Helm = Looks like a rabbit type animal is humping the back of your head

lets see, I personally am against luring. Why? because two reasons

1. if you are trading someone in the wilderness just to kill them it is plain pathetic just to get an item or two....

2. They Are people that you are killing stupid or not you wouldn't kill a person in real life for a couple million would you? i hope not.

but that is my opinion :-s

Could use a sig or avatar, PM me if intersted in making one.

Those who say luring is acceptable because if it happens to you, it's means you're stupid are [puncture]s.

Luring is, totally and completely, the lurer's fault for preying on other players because they're, plain and simple, bullies. They prey on weaker players, or sometimes use a player's trust against them. I recently almost lost my whip in a lure, here's what happened.

I was in Fight Pits, just me, none of my friends. Quickly teamed up with a person who I will refer to as "Joe-Bob." Joe-Bob had a few friends with him, we were getting along. He's a level 103, I'm a mere 90. He's still pretty cool though, we're talking, soon we're friends.

A few hours later in the day I get on, and he asks me if I want to go PKing with him. Sounds cool. I'm not much of a PKer myself, but whatever. I ignore the little voice in my head saying "omg its a scam!!1" Mistake #1.

I come out with my gear, full rune, rune defender, DDs, and some other crap. Joe-Bob asks where my whip is, I say I'm not taking it. He insists I bring it. I give in, but switch out my rune for Proselyte. Ignoring, of course, the voice going "scaaaam!!!" Biiig mistake #2.

Guess what, he has friends coming with us. I soon find out, a level 83 mager and a 97 ranger. Oh well, it's cool. Nope, not cool. Little voice, "SCAM!" Mistake #3.

We get to the Greater Demons. Some noob runs over, Joe-Bob goes "Get her!" Two DDS spec's and she's down. Drops a noted Dragon Battleaxe. picked it up, realized nobody would be carrying a noted D B Axe through the wilderness, and drop it, making sure Item Protect was on. Sure enough, I was pummeled a mere two seconds later by range, mage and melee. Woke up in Falador with only my Whip safe in hand.

Moral of this story? Don't trust strangers? Possibly. Sure, I was stupid to go along with the whole thing, but it's also in no way an acceptable practice.

I won't be falling for that at all anymore, I know that. The experience taught me a lot. But unless you've been through the same, you have no reason to talk, saying it's ok to do because it means the other person is stupid. If you say that, you have no heart.

=ZF

anchormansigcomplete.png

Think on this for a second. If luring is not against the rules by JaGeX book. Then neither should item scamming and pass scamming. I don't care if the player went in the wilderness. Just read this.

Luring, the player accepts the danger and enters the wilderness. = PLAYERS CHOICE.

Item Scamming, the player accepts the trade and gets scammed. = PLAYERS CHOICE.

Pass Scamming, the player is decieved into giving out his pass. = PLAYERS CHOICE.

Why not condone these along with luring? It is afterall. The PLAYERS CHOICE.

Moral of this story? Don't trust strangers? Possibly. Sure, I was stupid to go along with the whole thing, but it's also in no way an acceptable practice.

=ZF

can i ask with regards to this whole post and mine if it affected you outside of the game? did you find you had less trust in people you meet in clubs or wherever? if so it would definately make both of our posts more relevant. It shows that it does hurt people in ways other the the loss of an item. Lets face it if i had a whip it would most certainly be a "treasured possession" just because its virtual doesnt make it any different. I would be upset if i lost my Dragon Battle Axe unfairly. Its like the best thing i own at the moment as usually when i have money it burns a hole in my pocket so i dont get much good. To be honest however would have the same effect if you lost it while Pking in the normal way? I dont think i would be so upset really.

Yes it is, it has even been confirmed by a JMod along the lines "There's the wilderness sign pop-up warning you, if you die in the wildy, it's your fault." Seriously, I've seen lurers take people past level 20 wildy, if they're that dumb they deserve to lose their items.

Yes it is, it has even been confirmed by a JMod along the lines "There's the wilderness sign pop-up warning you, if you die in the wildy, it's your fault." Seriously, I've seen lurers take people past level 20 wildy, if they're that dumb they deserve to lose their items.

So you think its ok to prey on the vulnerable? If someone attacked you from behind is it your fault because your too stupid to have eyes in the back of your head?

To me you should be able to role-play as you want in a game -- even if it includes an evil player who tricks others. I'm not saying go and cheat or bot, but I'm saying that the idea should be allowed, and should be enforced inside of the game.

I think this is a pretty good point. There are some people out there who are, in real life, very kind, and nice, and all goody-two-shoes about everything. But they're only human. In my opinion, no matter how polite or wonderful you are normally, everybody's got a mean streak somewhere inside. For some, it's near the surface and it manifests often. For others, it's very deep, and hardly ever shows. But seriously, you can't tell me you've never, EVER thought of how much easier it would be to just scam someone to get that dragon weapon or abyssal whip, or some fancy whatever it is. However, most people can refrain from scamming at all, which is what keeps the playing experience from becoming un-fun. (Thank goodness for those honestly moral people out there! =D> )

That said, I would have to say that luring is, in the context of a game, legal. However, at the same time, I would also have to say that luring is not acceptable.

Just note that these are my thoughts on luring after having read this post. To be honest, I never even really knew that people were getting scammed like this because I always assumed that if anyone gets anywhere near the wilderness, they bank their items first. The wildy is for player vs player combat, not trading. :-s

Cool%20Xy.png

I'm 100% free-to-play!!!

Message me, private chat is always on. :)

Yes, it is acceptable. If users out there seriously don't think twice about going into the wilderness to trade stuff, then it is their own fault. They need to realize that it is dangerous out there. I personally don't lure, seeing as how I would probably get myself killed.

dragonmsmithcape,freakazoid2.gif

freakazoid2.gif

magician you have a good point about its legality but as you said its not acceptable. Do you know what the law or even JaGEx Rules are based on? They are based on what they find to be acceptable practises in life.

If too many people find it unacceptable then it becomes illegal or against the rules. This is why some can no longer asked to be killed in many countries. People basically found it unacceptable that people who suffer should be able to make the choice in their life. It should however be noted that it works both ways and that if many people find something acceptable then it will not be against the rules or the law.

Take smoking personally I chose choice however i hate being in a smokey room whilest eating or trying to relax but in private who cares no-one gets hurt except yourself. I would not like to see an overall ban on anything which can only hurt yourself but with this it is unacceptable because some-one gets hurt who really shouldent. i.e they just wanted to make a trade or see the cool weapon or get money.

It affects many people offline too dont forget that you are still experiencing this and that you will still avoid that in real life too!

Yes, it is acceptable. If users out there seriously don't think twice about going into the wilderness to trade stuff, then it is their own fault. They need to realize that it is dangerous out there. I personally don't lure, seeing as how I would probably get myself killed.

ill pretend i didnt hear that