Is luring an acceptable practice?

Kalphite_Queen

HELLO, IM PIRATE CACTUS,NOT REALY BUT I WOULD LIKE TO SAY THIS ONT HE MATTER OF LURING.

I BELIVE THAT IT IS UR OWN FAULT IF U GET LURED...

SOME ONE LAST WEEK TRIED TO LURE ME. THEY MUST HAVE SEEN ME ON THE FORUMS TRYING TO BUY A RED MASK FOR 36.7M I GUESS

"HEY HOW MUCH MONEY U HAVE?" SAID THE GUY

"AROUND 60M"

I WILL SELL U A RED MASK FOR 25M JUST MEET ME AT EDGEVILLE BRIDGE BY THE WILD AND IL GIVE U A FREE BLUE MASK TO.

WELL ANY ONE WITH COMON SENCE WILL SAY OK WAIT... THIS IS A LIL FISHY...

NOW I LOVE TO WATCH THE LURE VIDEOS ON WEBSITES THAT SHOW VIDEOS BUT I WOULD NEVER DO IT BECUASE ITS KINDA MEAN.

IT TOOK ME 2 YEARS TO GET MY PURPLE PARTY HAT BACK WHEN THEY WERE LIKE 80M BUT I WOULD BE VERY MAD TO LOOSE IT LIKE THAT AND THEM USE LIKE 5K IN RUNES TO GET 140M...

SO.. I DONT THINK IT IS CORRECT AFTER ALL JAGEX SAYS U MAY NOT DISCUSS IT ON THE RUNESCAPE FORUMS. THEY DIDNT SAY IT WAS AGAINST THE RULES... CAN YOU IMAGINE PEOPLE GETTING KILLED ON PUPOSE SO THEY COULD BE COMPENSATED FOR THEIR LOSS? THAT ACTULLY WOULD CREAT ALOT OF PROPLEMS AND THEN THEY MIGHT LOSS BUISNESS.

All must die sometimes, but you will always live.

,Rangrhardys

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys have called the victims stupid and morons, but stop and think for a moment about the ones that are neither stupid nor morons. Their only problem is that they are young. There are quite a few players that are under 12, and just too young to know better....yet! A friend of my son who was only 8 at the time was lured. IS it fair to take advantage of the young? My 10 year old has gotten smarter about scammering and luring.....he took care of a lurer who ended up running for his life and is now more careful about believing other people, but there are many more out there that are trusting only because the are too young to know better yet. :-k

I think that there should be a penalty for luring to protect those that (for whatever reason) are not capable of protecting themselves, especially the young.

lurer running for his life

ok well what i usally do is take a super set and spec with a dds and then im happy ive done this once and ive gotten ranger set..

and he begged for it back..

this is what i do to lurers

All must die sometimes, but you will always live.

,Rangrhardys

Luring is not a scam. There is nothing against it in the rules.

Having said this, a lot of the time, it is used with another sam that is a scam, such a someone saying "Bring your armour to the wilderness, and i'll trim it for you!"

Just use some common sense, don't bring anything that you be really sad you lost into the wilderness.(A bit angry cause you lost a whip, maybe. But if the whip was the only thing you had, you shouldn't be brining it into the wilderness!)

Smobo.png

Got his first skill cape April 7th 2009, at lv 121+12 cb and 2000 total

alrighty then, here's my veiw.

i hate luring. i hate pking too but thats irrelevent. the thing is, as far as im concerned, it is against the rules, because it usually involves lying and deceit. i cannot believe that some people blame the victims of this for what happens to them.

yes sometimes a little comman sense would have seen straight through the lure, but lets face it lurers arent stupid. there are some pretty clever lures going on out there. what makes it so bad for me is that they do target vunerable players, in ways which are usually disconted as luring, because to most people they arent dangerous.

take karamja. no danger right? but oh wait.. what about those poisonous tribesmen that new members players dont know anything about? to lurers that work there, anyone thats still in rune with a semi decent combat level is fair game " oh you are new? here let me show you a convenient members bank"... which just so happens to be in the middle of those self same tribesmen... voila, one dead player.

im with helldemon on this. i dont think trading should be possible in the wilderness. and the warning sign mentioned earlier that stops all actions when you hit the wilderness would be fantastic.

but most importantly, i think jagex needs to clear up the grey areas in it rules, and mods need to agree. on this forum we've seen quotes sayings its ok.... and ones that say its not. if mods cant tell us, its not going to stop.

i pity the people who get lured, but i will never blame them for what happens, because at the end of the day its the lurer that caused it to happen not the victim.

sometimes there are days when i really want to hit you..... this is one of those days

Of course it's acceptable. If people don't take care of their items then they don't deserve to have them. You'd attack someone who stepped into the wild with a rare too. :\

Btw luring is where someone drops coins in close wild and the guy getting lured runs up to get them and then there is a killer who is the same lvl as him and he barrages/dds specs him, there is no trading involved in the wild w/ a good lure.

You people... You actually think it's an acceptable practice? You make me sick. Individual members of Jagex staff may have different opinions, but the rules technically forbid it. The staff has to tread carefully with it, however, because by making a rule specifically against it, they would be adding a law to what was intended to be the lawless wild.

"You deserve it" and "you're stupid for falling for that" are NOT good reasons. They're a fool's excuse to justify this kind of scam. So only stupid people get lured into the wilderness and lose things in what they THOUGHT was a legitimate trade? So if you get excited about getting a good deal or finally getting that cool item you wanted, and then stop thinking rationally out of excitement, that makes you a moron? Okay, let's look at it this way:

Children are (generally) less knowledgeable than adults. Comparatively, they are less intelligent. As you would lure someone (edit: someone you believe is "stupid" or "less intelligent") into the wilderness and kill them for their things, consider this. Would you tell a child that you would give them a coveted toy in exchange for some of their lunch money if they came to the corner of the playground, and then instead of making the fair trade, beat them senseless so you could loot their pockets while they were down?

By your reasoning, the kid in this scenario DESERVED it because they shouldn't trust strangers. They're STUPID because they TRUSTED you. But you know what? You just assaulted a kid and stole his money. That makes you a bully. That makes you lower than the scum that accumulates on your shoes as you walk away with your ill-gotten gains. You should be ashamed of yourself. Think of the poor kid.

This is by far one of the best posts I've read about this topic. Pretty much sums up everything that people complain about to people who lure. Great job.

Also, to add to this post, I like to do something called "Lure killing." That's where you kill someone who is trying to lure you. For example, I brought a friend to help me kill a lurer and his friend who was trying to pk me. I went up, traded him, showed him my easter, and he showed me 20m. Just then, the pker runs down and barrages me. Well, I was prepared. I mad the pker teleport, (He had no food, and ice barrages ftw.) and my friend killed the lurer. Free 10m for each of us! Afterwords, The lurer was begging for the money back. I then told him "too bad, shouldn't have lured." \'

Halo%202%204%20u.gif

The construction emote should be a person burning a bag of money.

Add me on Xfire! User = loopydood

jumping-smiley-012.gif

^Click the smiley. You know you want to.^

I do not think it is acceptable. To be honest i don't see any difference between luring and scamming as both of them cause the victim to lose items with intention.

then pk'ing is also scamming, when u go on p trip u are gonna kill ppl with hte intention to make them lose items and get them for your own personal gain \'

About 2-3 weeks ago I was killing black nights when I met a guy, we talked and that was the end of that. Well until he said want to trade and he was about 25 combat higher than me but I felt no worries he said meet down the road from the saw mill i wasnt paying attention I went in and was stopped by a spell I couldnt move he was killing me but I was killing black nights and they hurt me a little so I took cakes I had stolen from ardougne and I eat them I only just managed to get out of the wilderness with 2 hitpoints left but the guy was distraught he didnt know what I did :boohoo: . Well im thankful for the cake now :P . The name of the lurer is Vorgon2 add him and skit him of his loss :lol: :P :) :thumbsup: .

dvd_o_ye.png

I do not think it is acceptable. To be honest i don't see any difference between luring and scamming as both of them cause the victim to lose items with intention.

then pk'ing is also scamming, when u go on p trip u are gonna kill ppl with hte intention to make them lose items and get them for your own personal gain \'

now this kid is saying exactly wat i have been trying to say. unfortunatly wat i said got deleted :shame: but pking is also going in the wild with the intention on killing a person taking there items for your own personal gain ia gree with slayer he is absolutly right there is no difference between pking and lurign they both deal with the wild and the other polayer should be smart enough to knwo hmm do i wanna go near the wild and sell my red party hat to this guy that looks and has a name that sounds lieka pker? uhh no! i wouldnt. good job slayer =D>

dragonmpraycape,virna.gif

Making a pure. Xv Wild Xv atk:71/99 str:73/99 def:20/20 mage:70/94 range:65/90 prayer:52/52

i dont particuly care about luring even though i have been lured.it is tight for them 2 lure us but if they say 'trade in wildy not here' then they might as well say 'come 2 the wildy so i can kill u and take ur stuff'. so if u r about 2 get lured put ur stuff in the bank other than 3 items and make sure u dont attack anyone. :wall:

holtron.png

holtron.png

holtron.png

Ok people i am sick of posts like "think of the poor 8 year old who is paying runescape and was lured into the wild with all his fortune, you bully!"

ahhhqw7.jpg

yes 13 year olds can be a little stupid but their old enough to know certain things. I do say it's best to be scammed in a game than to be scammed in real life. Runescape isn't all *flowery* with nice players and nice people, there are bad people in the world who will cheat and scam and it's not a rule in a game that's "badly" enforced by the game staff (they're doing their best but it's still no enough) that's going to stop them. So it's best to learn while you can.

:ohnoes: :ohnoes: *flame cape and flame hood* :ohnoes: :ohnoes:

now you can start quoting me and calling me a bully... \'

btw i never scammed or lured because i don't like it...and it's probably not easy

There's quite an obvious distinction:

PKing involves no deception. Anyone found wandering in the wildy without being lured is there of their own volition and therefor fair game.

andopolis.png

Wow, I was just reading the rs forums, and there was a very long topic on luring.

As you guys know, luring is not against the rules in rs.

But according to most of the posts, many people are against it...even though many of them have never been lured.

I say, since it is not against the rules, perhaps in the tuturial or the barbarian rule game, it can show players that in certain situations you could be lured? :-k

I rarely go into the wildy, and I don't pk...so I wouldn't be the one to understand luring...but there are alot of videos I've seen..and it can get ridiculous. I don't understand why people wear so much armour in wildy?? I mean I can see three pieces..but omg..some ppl take 2 and 3 different sets! lol (maybe young pride?? hehehehe)

I dunno, but it seems that if so many people have a problem with it..then why are there so many people still getting lured??

fantasy-19.gif

Lady, the people whom are against Luring are very few in numbers.

In fact, we have discovered that player moderators were told that luring is legal and that player moderators have been involved in this practice. Using the crown as a lure into the wilderness. They can trade someone at the edgeville bridge and drag them into level 5 wilderness. They use the crown to decieve players, and they can't be punished by JaGeX. Because Luring is 'legal'

I'm sure some of you have seen my posts on the forums, I have unsubscribed and currently have 24 days left.

ive bin scammed out of 2.4 mil.i dont care if u call me a noob or stupid. i made the money quite quick and sold my cannon as i was excited of almost being able to buy a whip. i had a seller and then someone offered less,and said he was "wcing" north of dark knights,which i did find strange. at the time i wasnt to sure about how teleblocking worked and i didnt know that if you die with money you lose it all. anyway i went and took a tele just to be safe. i arrived,traded and in the traders spot a character one levl above me,tbed,entangled me and quite obv killed me lol and got my money :boohoo: .it may seem stupid but its very very upsetin.id worked very hard for the money and sold some of my best items for it and now someone had took it away. when you are excited about achieving/getting something you dont think that MAYBE just MAYBE this person has a character with a combat level VERY close to yours who can teleblock,do you? anyway lol im HIGHLY apposed to ANY form of luring. :shame:

mithmwhiteknight,Guyontheedge.gif

Lady, the people whom are against Luring are very few in numbers.

In fact, we have discovered that player moderators were told that luring is legal and that player moderators have been involved in this practice. Using the crown as a lure into the wilderness. They can trade someone at the edgeville bridge and drag them into level 5 wilderness. They use the crown to decieve players, and they can't be punished by JaGeX. Because Luring is 'legal'

I'm sure some of you have seen my posts on the forums, I have unsubscribed and currently have 24 days left.

while it may be true that luring is legal, it's still illegal for a player mod, and despite popular beleif, a player moderator will have harsher consequences against him or her... (this was posted earlier on the thread as well)

i've said this before, and i'll say it again, just because it's legal doesn't

make it acceptable

there are actually many people against it

Yes, I've seen your posts. Sorry to hear that you are unsubscribing. I hope it is not because of this.

And yes, I've seen some of the post from Mods saying that luring isn't against the rules. Though I have seen them saying that they were "against" luring? I haven't seen any of the mods luring..but if mods are doing that..then they set the example, right?

So if this "luring" is like scamming..that would be against the rules, I would think. I could see if you lured someone to pk each other...not trying to lie and get their items...that's scamming. my 2 pennies

fantasy-19.gif

I am unsubscribing due to this issue. I have seen hundreds of players opinions on this issue, and almost all of them are for luring being legal. This has made me have to step back and have to think about what I want to do. Help pay for a game that is letting its members scam without punishment. Or not.

This is a depressing issue, and seeing how many players whom have supported this issue, shows me that I do not want to be a part of that community.

Pmods aren't punished if they do that, because people can't report them. So JaGeX doesn't know about it unless that person, whist trying to stay alive wrote down they're name. Alot of things go unnoticed by JaGeX, which is another reason why I am unsubscribing. I do not want to pay to play a game that is run by a company that doesn't punish people for hurting others.

i think luring has two sides it is right and it is wrong. its like a loop hole in the jagex rules but it is also moraly wrong. if you think it is right to lure go ahead and lure one day it will catch up with you and then you wil be the sorry one. :shame: if you dont think it is right to lure then stay away from the wildy whilst wearing valuable things. =;

in all you should all remember its only a game so dont take it as seriously as you do. :thumbsup:

just remember dont go near the wildy with exensive stuff that you wouldn't like to lose. :!:

Luring can be avoided but most players by having some common sense.

And i'm not talking about just staying out of the wilderness

If you suspect something is strange about someone chopping logs near edge of wildy then take only the item your selling. Now, if you do get lured and killed, (and if your not skulled) then you'll keep that one item.

If its a four piece armour set, then use protect item and you'll still come out with your valuables.

I am totally against luring. Its like internet spam, legal, but frowned upon by most.

Personally i think luring is just downright cowardly.

I was lured back when i was lvl 80 ish and got killed for a blue h'mask, i didnt even know what luring was at the time so i didnt know i was making any sort of mistake.

My lure wasn't a 'come here to trade me'. The guy said can you hold these vials and come with me to the monastry fountain to fill them for me. When i folowed him i got attacked at that point between the monastry and edgeville.

Also the wilderness warning doesent come up if you have already been in the wilderness recently, and as i used to be an abbys rcer at the time i didnt get the warning.

I've been to embarised to tell people that i actually got lured and use excuses like i lost connection at a random while wearing the mask to explain how i lost it.

I think there should be warning around about luring, because there is about scamming, but nowere have i seen a jagex warning about lurers. Alot of higher lvls know about it, but alot of lower lvls would not know what you are on about if you mention luring.

hey thats quite a clever lure some lurer has done well for himself bnut i stil refer back to my post on summit like page 4 for my veiws on the subject.

img.cfm?img=41871

Yeah...Some people just go out of their way to ruin other peoples fun.
Sounds like Jagex to me...

I bet alot of people opposing it has been lured. Look at it this way. Its your own fault. If they want u near wildy with lots good stuff on you, why go near wildy. Whos fault is it really? I have one word for you.

YOU

All you peopel agenst it. Think about it. You go near wildy yourself. despite warnings, you step into wildy. The moment you step into wildy you are a target for pkers. I dont see whats wreong for a pker to pk anyone in the wildy. You in wildy. Nnone pushed you in. Its just as much fault as the lurer then you. Dont want to get lured? Dont go near wildy.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?