Did anyone else get hooked on RS by 'Call for Help'

kingjeff

DISCLAIMER: The following is a boring account on how I found RuneScape. If you feel this is a waste of your time, go bake a pie.

Years and years ago, I was watching a TV show called (racks memory . . . ) I think it was Call for Help on TechTV (now called G4TV). They had a section of the show everyday called Kat's Klicks where a lady named Kat showed something cool on the internet.

That fateful day, it was RuneScape. This was years ago, mind you.

I wasn't even particularly looking for this archived episode on their website, it was just pure chance (or fate). She said that RuneScape was a pretty cool Java-based MMORPG, but with bad lag. I decided I'll try it for myself. This was approximately a month or so after RuneScape was released to the general public.

Long story short, I got hooked. I started out with a guy named KingWindsor, scratched him and made King Jeff VI, and the rest is history.

Anyway, I said all that to say this: did anyone else see this particular TV episode? TechTV was a popular channel, so I was just wondering.

If this is spam, you can banish me to the Seventh Circle of the Inferno.

141xh5.jpg

I swear some of you people would think it was a fair update if we had a lever you could pull which gave you 99 all stats and any item you liked. ----- Paul Gower; Runescape Senior Content Designer

I didn't personally see it but I'm pretty sure that's how I found out since my dad watched it and being a single parent he saw it as something to occupy myself with while I was at his house every second weekend. Although now I'm older, TechTV has showed me quite a few cool things.

deadforumslol.png

That was an awesome pie.

Joking i didn't ever see that and i don't think i have that channel, but on Sky One (UK) there used to be a show called Gamesville which had a similar section to the show where a few websites would be advertised that were suggested by viewers. I never saw RuneScape on there but it probably showed up on it once.

capesn.png

My capes in the order they were achieved

That was an awesome pie.

Joking i didn't ever see that and i don't think i have that channel, but on Sky One (UK) there used to be a show called Gamesville which had a similar section to the show where a few websites would be advertised that were suggested by viewers. I never saw RuneScape on there but it probably showed up on it once.

Yeh i remember gamesville, it was cheesy as hell. But no i haven't ever seen Runescape advertised on TV.

Currently not active on RuneScape.

dazzuhsiggyfinal.png

That was an awesome pie.

Yeh i remember gamesville, it was cheesy as hell. But no i haven't ever seen Runescape advertised on TV.

MTV advertises runescape on their website, i dont know about on tv...but hey maybe soon.

off: g4 screwed up tech tv

:twisted: :twisted: :(

I agree. TechTV had a certain feeling about it that was lost when it was changed. Even though they did show their channel's logo a little too much . . .

141xh5.jpg

I swear some of you people would think it was a fair update if we had a lever you could pull which gave you 99 all stats and any item you liked. ----- Paul Gower; Runescape Senior Content Designer

That was an awesome pie.

Darren and Jamie as the presenters then had that Sarah woman doing the hand held stuff :P I only watched it for the two people who had "grudges" and played each other at crappy games :P

I've seen RS on TV in England once, Was the summer of 2005, early. I was in Cornwall on Holiday and it was like 9 o'clock and there was some documentry on TV (I didn't see it, but my brother did) about some kid and he says that he likes playing RS. And it has a few seconds of footage from RSC of what looked like him getting lured in the wilderness :lol:

Never seen that show, and the Gamesville show was rubbish. I swear the thing was paid for by sony. It didn't matter what the game was, or how bad it was, if it was on PS2 it got 5Gs (ie 5/5).

Although I laughed when the grudge match on the so called 5G game collapsed because the game was that bad.

And the girl with the handheld sections was... normal I suppose is the best way to describe, but all the blokes would talk about was when SONY will bing out a handheld. I hated it.

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

You know what's weird is that I DO REMEMBER THAT EPISODE! I don't remember anything in it..just how they had one on it..although it was only like 4 years ago since I had just gotten Dish back then...and then I joined RS because I saw some guy playing it at the local library lol. I don't even know when I joined..back in early '04 i think. Maybe earlier (RC had just come out)

sick_conspir.png

That's exactly how I found out about Runescape! At the time I was working from home and was on a lunch break. It was the first online game I ever played.

Tis a shame as to what happened with TechTV. Oh well, someone that G4TV was a good idea. I don't really watch it anymore.

Awesome! At least two people had the exact same experiance as me! It's a small world . . .

141xh5.jpg

actually, that is the very same way i got into rs. Mind you, i started this account that week i saw it, but i didnt really get into it for quite a while, so, thats why my stats or just mediocre.

killer%202650.png

Click here to visit my Blog

GWD Drops:: Sara Sword(2); Bandos Boots(2); Steam Staff Split(4)

Dragon:: Boots (16); Whips (2); Dragon (Skirt(2), Helmet(2), Left Half(3))

Dagganoth:: Axes(3) Berserker(3) Mud Staff(2) Seers(1)

No Barrows Drops

99's:: Fletching, Cooking, Attack, Firemaking, Defence,Hitpoints, Magic

I used to love G4Tech till about 2 years ago. I didn't see it, but if I did, I wouldn't want to know what my social life would be like. :uhh:

I saw Runescape in the top 10 MMORPG's in Gameinformer once ::' I think it was third or sixth..

I used to love G4Tech till about 2 years ago. I didn't see it, but if I did, I wouldn't want to know what my social life would be like. :uhh:

I saw Runescape in the top 10 MMORPG's in Gameinformer once ::' I think it was third or sixth..

dude, it was fourth

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

That was an awesome pie.

Nahhh i watched it, and it never really was on there, i used to record and watch in the evening. It was computer games, not online :P

If anyone remembers me... PM ME. having nostaligia issues D:

I know that RS was in GI a couple months ago. I remember reading about it. They were talking about the best online games. I forget what rank it was, it was top 3 I think.

122 Combat : 99 Hits : 99 Attack : 99 Strength

97/99 Defence : 99 Fletching : 99 Woodcutting

haha, never realized the connection between Call for Help and Runescape (peace be TechTv). I found the transcript you're refering to

- Leo: IT'S GOOD TO TALK TO YOU. OH, YES, THERE'S MORE?

-- David: I JUST WANTED TO SAY ACTUALLY A REALLY GOOD GAME FOR FREE, OKAY?

-- Leo: YEAH, WHAT'S THAT?

-- David: RUNESCAPE --

-- Leo: OH, I KNOW ABOUT RUNESCAPE. PEOPLE ARE FANATICAL ABOUT THAT. ARE YOU A RUNESCAPE PLAYER?

-- David: YEAH, I'M A MEMBER.

-- Leo: OH, WHAT'S YOUR HANDLE?

-- David: UM, HELM 459.

-- Leo: WE'LL LOOK FOR HELM 459 WHEN WE'RE --THIS IS ACTUALLY AN --IT'S ONLINE, MULTIPLAYER. THERE'S 117,000 PEOPLE IN THERE RIGHT NOW. I'VE HEARD PEOPLE GO CRAZY ABOUT THIS, AND UNLIKE SOMETHING LIKE EVERQUEST, WHERE YOU PAY EVERY MONTH, YOU DON'T HAVE TO PAY EVERY MONTH FOR THIS, DO YOU?

-- David: NO.

-- Leo: NO, I LIKE THAT, I LIKE THAT. RUNESCAPE, THERE YOU GO! THAT'S WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THIS SHOW! TAKE A FREE FILE, GIVE A FREE FILE. WHAT MORE COULD YOU ASK FOR?

http://callforhelptv.com/callforhelp/sh ... ranscripts

All I learned in life, I learned on Tip.it