Cheapest spell for barrows...

Captainkidd

What u have to wear to get the spells to go off successfully? I can wear barrows top and bottom and Granite shield and still hit with slayer dart. If u wear mystic or mage gear to cast fire bolt, don't u have to pray most of the time? I only pray on Dharok and Karil tomb.

mbrun.gif

Barrows Drops: Guthan's platelegs and War Spear, Dharok's plate body and Great Axe, Verac's Flail, Verac's Helm x 2, Ahrim's top, Dharok's plate legs

Dragon Drops: Medium Helm x 4, Shield Left Half, plate legs x 2, skirt x 2.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you'd also have to sacrifice inventory space, for mage armour, to cast the Fire Bolts successfully.

Slayer Dart is not affected by negated Magic bonus if I'm not mistaken.

Also you almost always get enough Minds and Deaths from the Chest to use.

Not true. Barrow brothers just have very low mage defence

well today at 11:30 am 14 years ago i was born.. wo0t!!!
At 11:30 you should start holding your head underwater wo0t!!!
Stop acting such a moron.

if you use chaos gauntlets i can max at 15 with fire bolt so this will help you theory also 8-)
:shock: I forgot all about that too, that only helps a bit but its still makes my theory stronger.

No, it totally nullifies your theory. Yours costs some money, and using slayer dart doesn't use any at all because they are replenished by the chest. (To an extent of course).

And as to using the chaos: It complicates everything. Sure, you make a profit margin, but you lost a lot of time and make it much more difficult to barrow effectively.

Sleeping-in-cushionhigh.jpg

ive compared magic dart to fire wave and fire blts cost and effectiveness and i think magic dart is the cheapest. while you have to buy a slayer staff and have 55 slayer too, you need chaos gauntlets or you'll hit 12s with bolt and wave take a lot of fires and costs slightly kore.

Soma2035 that was a strong argument with well backed evidence, which I respect and believe true. However, speed may be another factor. In the long run using slayer dart, would the extra time you gain per run from having to cast 25 less spells benefit you in that, the extra time, after a few runs, would equal enough time to make another complete run? Over time could you gain enough extra runs to get more barrows items, therefore, not only making up that 6k loss, but gaining further profit? Response? Opinions? Comments...

Argh, didn't we already go over all this in the thread? Fire bolt is more cost effiecient per run, while Slayer Dart is much better for speed. We already went over this crud...

Seriously, who bumped this? It's like we're repeating the same [developmentally delayed]ed argument all over again, having to explain such a simple concept yet again to the new people posting on this thread.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Argh, didn't we already go over all this in the thread? Fire bolt is more cost effiecient per run, while Slayer Dart is much better for speed. We already went over this crud...

Seriously, who bumped this? It's like we're repeating the same [developmentally delayed] argument all over again, having to explain such a simple concept yet again to the new people posting on this thread.

As I said before would a mod please lock this

because technically wind strike is the cheapest spell

britonlongbo.png

That's wrong imo.

With slayer dart you get your runes back (I always end up with lots more deaths and mind than I came with).

And slayer darts hits harder than fire bolt.

That's only partially correct.

As stated above you get your runes no matter what spell your using, and you can sell the runes since you're not using them to pay for the airs, as well as have more profit than you would have had using slayer dart.

Also, slayer dart hits (Magic Level)/10, truncated. That means you can hit from 15 to 20, depending on your magic level. (If you're 99 magic and use potion you can hit 20s.) For someone with low magic this means you hit just as high with firebolt and chaos gauntlets.

But with wielding chaos gauntlets you lose the opportunity to wield barrows gloves or w/e RSD glove you may have.

99 ranged | 99 magic | 99 defence | 99 hitpoints

Remember, it's just a game

Feel free to add me on RS. :) Always ready for a chat.

strictly speaking 'magic dart' is the cheapest as its technically free. your getting all the runes form the chest therefore your not spending a dime on the runes.

Sorry, but as some others have already said, this is not true at all. Magic dart is not free because it wastes the minds and deaths you get from the chest.

I usually do 9 runs per trip and leave with anywhere from 400 to 600 deaths and 2-3000 minds. Do you? I bet not.

I analyzed the two spells over several dozen brother kills. Fire bolt (with gloves) takes about 25% more casts than slayer dart (my max is 19), but the spell costs less than half. Fire bolt costs about 170 per cast, slayer dart around 360.

I usually use fire bolt so I can save my deaths for something more useful.

~q

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

strictly speaking 'magic dart' is the cheapest as its technically free. your getting all the runes form the chest therefore your not spending a dime on the runes.

Sorry, but as some others have already said, this is not true at all. Magic dart is not free because it wastes the minds and deaths you get from the chest.

I usually do 9 runs per trip and leave with anywhere from 400 to 600 deaths and 2-3000 minds. Do you? I bet not.

I analyzed the two spells over several dozen brother kills. Fire bolt (with gloves) takes about 25% more casts than slayer dart (my max is 19), but the spell costs less than half. Fire bolt costs about 170 per cast, slayer dart around 360.

I usually use fire bolt so I can save my deaths for something more useful.

~q

Umm, what logic is that? THEY ARE FREE!!!!!!!!!!!! As in you don't have to buy them! It doesn't matter that they are using up what you would usually get. Its irrelavent. If you don't have to buy them, then they are free. Also, time is money! Those lower spells are so slow that they take forever to kill all brothers!

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

i use 50 casts a run =\

i would also not want to invest time into getting fires/airs just because i am lazy. i would just rather use the runes im already getting from the chest. also saves room in my inventory because i wont be getting 5 more items to be putting into my inventory each time.

polarbeardaveyz9.png

I like dart because you get runes from chest. Some trips I get like twice as many minds I used, but no deaths, then in a couple trips I get a ton of deaths evening it out. It may seem that fire bolt is better, but dart is practically free, you just need like 1k casts to start. I did like 12 runs with dart and have as many minds and deaths (maybe more) as i did when i started

mini193.png

Doing a little bit of everything

i hybrid barrows, so i only used around 70 casts, which is 70 deaths, 280 minds. the rest of the time, i use dds/dscim/whip on karil and ahrim. i normally get more runes than i sue, so i actually make a profit, and i dont evem have to buy air runes.
Who ever said you have to by airs......? Anyways, your saying you can do a billion trips with only 70 deaths and 280 minds? If so get a video of it, so all of tip.it knows your a lier, I mean great at barrows

realx.... its possible. I use that many casts maging all except ahrim, and make up those runes each time too. Sometimes though, you may be unlucky, you'd need 150 casts probably to do barrows forever, that can be 3 trips like he does, more than enough to make up lost runes

mini193.png

Doing a little bit of everything

its possible, but sometimes i get no minds or no deaths and sometimes too many minds and no deaths. do you can do a lot of multiple runs but not that long. ive tested magic dart,fire bolt, fire wave, ice burst, ice blitz, claws of guth, sara strike, and melee with whip and i say that the cheapest is magic dart. Magic dart is the cheapest spell, but melee with whip(super attack pot and defender is really helpful with 90+ attack) and veracs is cheaper, but if you want mage xp and its faster with mage with you, just stic with dart.

Umm, what logic is that? THEY ARE FREE!!!!!!!!!!!! As in you don't have to buy them! It doesn't matter that they are using up what you would usually get. Its irrelavent. If you don't have to buy them, then they are free. Also, time is money! Those lower spells are so slow that they take forever to kill all brothers!

I despair for the state of education in our society these days. *sigh*

They are "free" but you USE THEM UP. You lose the money you WOULD get selling them, which is the exact same as buying them in the first place.

Or...

If you are using them on Barrows but need deaths for say, using Ancients at CW, you then have to go buy deaths for that. Same difference.

The prayer pots is a valid point, but the typical difference is only 2 or 3 casts per brother.

~q

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

The main difference is: You can use slayer dart with armor on and still hit quite often, thus reducing the prayer pots you must use and the money you spend.

Chaos Bolt hits just as well as Slayer Dart whether or not you are wearing armor. Slayer Dart IS affect by mage bonus. If you are wearing guthans you really don't need to pray at all and you probably won't use more than 1 or 2 pieces of food during a run. Sure it may take 15-20 casts longer so you can argue that you are losing a few runs to the chest in the long run.

Opportunity cost.

LordFan21.pngHilordfan.jpgZ0mg look im so kool even mods tok to me.

Are you factoring in prayer potions?

Slayer dart hits more often than most spells, even while wearing melee armor.

If you're spending more time using the bolt, then you're using more prayer.

Yeah with slayer dart you put on full barrow set with staff and you don't need to pray on torag, verac, guthan, or ahrim(I use karil's) and if you have 50 pray you can get through dharok and karil using up no pray pots unlike with fire bolt.

So lets say:

Slayer Dart

75 deaths+300 minds=28.5k

Fire Bolt

100 chaos+300 airs+2 pray pots(3)=35k

I think that's more like it.

Yeah with slayer dart you put on full barrow set with staff and you don't need to pray on torag, verac, guthan, or ahrim(I use karil's) and if you have 50 pray you can get through dharok and karil using up no pray pots unlike with fire bolt.

So lets say:

Slayer Dart

Fire Bolt

I see a pretty simple solution there. Slap on a full set of barrows armor while casting fire bolt.

LordFan21.pngHilordfan.jpgZ0mg look im so kool even mods tok to me.

So lets say:

Slayer Dart

Fire Bolt

I see a pretty simple solution there. Slap on a full set of barrows armor while casting fire bolt.

Have fun with that...

Not all of us have 99 mage. :roll: