Collecting Raws is ''dumb''?!

12pure34

Oh yes, it is time for something intellectuel again. Recently I have been skilling. In a 4 month spread I managed to raise my skill total from 950 to 1450. I managed to go from 32qp to 152qp and raised my experience by a few million in total. It took me 4 months of playing an average 90 minutes / 2 hours a day.

As time flyes by. I was wondering, what uses certain skills have to me. Ofcourse, every skill has a use for someone. But which skills does a medium player like myself (I do not consider myself high/low) need. So I started checking my stats and found a few things that cought my attention.

--> I never mine my own Pure Essence..Nor do I mine my coal or iron. Nor any other ore. As my smithing isn't high enough to make money with high materials, I do not mine the required higher ores. So mining, simply lost use for me. I train smithing by buying Raws. Same for runecrafting

--> I do not fish my own food. Buying it goes faster for me. At the moment I use monkfish, which I cannot catch myself. And I am to lazy to fish lobsters.. Trouts and salmon have a low use for me.

--> Why do I train woodcutting? I buy the logs for fletching (which I hardly ever do (lvl 68)).

Well, I guess you are starting to get the feeling, I hardly have a use for gathering skills. This results in power training instead of material gathering! This was kind of shocking to me, as I always considered you shouldn't be buying your skill, which in the end, I start of doing. I am the kind of person who starts to think of reasons why.

Reason 1: I can buy Raw Materials, as it saves me time, time which I want to spend in a fun way. Or at least, in a way more fun then collection raws.

Reason 2: The money I save with collecting my own Raws, is smaller then the money I earn when I will be using the raw materials. Note: Pure essence to nature runes.. Or Iron bars to knifes / darts (?!)

Reason 3: When it comes to experience / hour. Powertraining gathering skills is faster then collecting Raws with those skills. And training skills with Raws which are bought, is faster training then using the ones you collected. Example: powermining iron ore, smithing iron bars into knives // Mining your own iron ore, smelting them (using forge ring) and smithing them.

In these 4 months I managed to raise my bank from 2.5M networth to 7M networth. This allowed me to buy even more Raws. And because of my higher skill, it went increasingly more efficient to buy Raws.

So what my mind goes:

-When I became better, collecting skills became less important

-When I became richer, collecting skills became less important

Possible conclusion:

Gathering is for the poor and lower levels (Note: I avoid the word noob as it is in no way in place here)

--> How do you guys feel about gathering skills?

--> Is this conclusion right, or am I thinking the wrong way?

--> Are you a high/low level and how do you feel about gathering skills?

--> Do you feel the same, as you become a higher leveled player or have increased money?

34eyfbd.jpg9h43sp.jpg16m28ty.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you are a merchant skiller, welcome to the club :D

I am the same, if you check my mining it isnt all that high, neither is my fishing, basically i buy raw materials then sell on for profit...it doesnt matter if you gather your own stuff or not, you have a viable way of playing so enjoy yourself :D

btw, i merchanted in 12 hours from 60k to 1.8mil, bought my first whip, resold and started merchant skilling, i am #5 out of the whole of my forums for crafting, if i had to gather hides myself, i would never have been able to do it :P

Click the link below to find out how to make millions on the GX...full indepth analysis

http://runescape.salmoneus.net/forums/i ... &p=2095612

dumb. not saying the thread is dumb, im saying thats how you spell dumb.

Yes, you are right there. That is a silly mistake of me. I realize that now :( sorry. But you must consider English isn't my first language ;) so sometimes I do make silly mistakes, but I'll ask a mod kindly if he/she could change it

Sworddude198 wrote:

I feel you should get lost.

I feel you're right.

If you buy ALL your supplies it doesent make you l3g1t 0r 1337 0r ub3r k3wl it makes you lazy

Yes, it does prove I am lazy. But that doesn't answer the question. How do you feel about it? Do you gather all of your own materials. If so, in what way. Are there skills which you do not activily use and just powertrain to raise skill total?

so you people feel you have a right to decide who is able to play the game, and if someone wants to just buy raw materials they are worthless scum who should quit?

because that is what it is starting to sound like, people who buy stuff are supporting autoers <_<

Click the link below to find out how to make millions on the GX...full indepth analysis

http://runescape.salmoneus.net/forums/i ... &p=2095612

Whah? :o :x

I always try to collect all my raw materials myself, with a few exceptions (training food, monks, which usually go for training non-combat that you need food on, like agility and thieving. Flax is another example). This is simply because I make more profit if I'm going to sell the items I collect myself, and the main reason, EXPERIENCE. I cannot see how you think gathering your own items is for por and low levels, your post was the second most stupid post I had ever seen (the first one was the one where a member said fre players should have a level cap of 40). Buying raw materials is for the lazy ones, they only lose money and experience.

6,521th to 99 woodcutting | Fletching 98/99 |

Idarodo | Combat 90 | Total 1565+ | 38m+ total exp

Retired.

i think you should change the title i think it makes people angry that you dont like to collect raws and you think raws are dumb

maybe make the title collecting raws inefficient

Mojo477 has had to quit members so i need friends to talk to on my pure Lived4devil so please add her

"The elves having helped create the crystal saw is like Greenpeace having helped create a nuclear seal skinner"

Whah? :o :x

I always try to collect all my raw materials myself, with a few exceptions (training food, monks, which usually go for training non-combat that you need food on, like agility and thieving. Flax is another example). This is simply because I make more profit if I'm going to sell the items I collect myself, and the main reason, EXPERIENCE. I cannot see how you think gathering your own items is for por and low levels, your post was the second most stupid post I had ever seen (the first one was the one where a member said fre players should have a level cap of 40). Buying raw materials is for the lazy ones, they only lose money and experience.

Before you are trying to accuse me of being ignorant.

Mining iron ore gives how much experience per ore?.. Pure essence gives 5exp. Alot less then pure essence. So mining your own pure essence isn't exactly considered great experience.

Picking flax, where is experience in that?

Just a few examples. I just took the catchy titel of Gathering Raws is dumb, as it makes people read and react (like any good writer would do ::')

The true questions were asked at the bottom of my post, which you would have seen, if you take the time to read and think about the post :wink: I consider it for the lower levels, as they do not have the levels to make more profit with making items out of Raws then collecting Raws. And I wanted to discuss the proces of when you are high enough to stop collecting, or if you are never to high. Or to rich?! :-k

So no, not the dumbest post O:)

I have no clue why people are flaming you? I think it is a very reasenable question. He says colleting raws is for the lower levels. Which is totally good IMO. Why do you ask? Because it goes wrong otherwise. In the early days of UO one of the main problems was lower levels had nothing to sell to higher levels, so they couldn't get involved in the economy, making it very hard to make money from the start. JaGeX learned from this, so they made this kind of stuff (ess, iron, coal, cowhides, etc.). So at higher levels, it is good you don't get youre own standard raws. The problem occur when lots of high levels need a huge amount (for low levels) of it, like p ess and yews. So autoers are needed to keep raws at a little bit "normal" price. Here JaGeX went wrong, because they created a system (if without autoer) the population of lower levels always needs to grow.

The solution, I don't know, I suggest shops who sell this at a reasenable price.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

yup it is 12pure12's opinion/conclusion/inference so it cant be wrong unlike Nazi people killing Jews because they thought the Jews religion/opinion was stupid

Mojo477 has had to quit members so i need friends to talk to on my pure Lived4devil so please add her

"The elves having helped create the crystal saw is like Greenpeace having helped create a nuclear seal skinner"

yup it is 12pure12's opinion/conclusion/inference so it cant be wrong unlike Nazi people killing Jews because they thought the Jews religion/opinion was stupid

I have no idea of what you are saying here, but I think it means like it is my good right to have an opinion. Thank you for that. But still I feel like changing the tittle back. Although it might be challenging, I think tip.it's IQ' level is up to the test..

Well a lot of the materials that are gathered are done by autoers.

I agree. its basically runescape's "hidden" conspiracy. Autoers are needed for the economy to thrive.

i used to buy food but find fishing lobsters quite good right now so am fishing about 1.5k :P

pure ess is not good to mine..woodcutting is good for construction supplies...mining is good for smithing (gold smelting)

gladz.png

Proud Retired Council of The Gladiatiorz

Click here for our website - 110+ F2P Combat Requirements

So collecting your own raw materials makes you dumb?

Face it dude your titles will always offend someone.

Please sworddude, leave this tread alone if you rant. I am trying to get a discussion here.

The title is there to atract people. It is what writers tend to do. And yes, I realize it can be offending. But if you read the article, you realize it is not my opinion that it is dumb. It could (!) be a logical conclusion. So please, add something on topic, or leave the thread, I do not wish it to become a rant.

dumb. not saying the thread is dumb, im saying thats how you spell dumb.

Yes, you are right there. That is a silly mistake of me. I realize that now :( sorry. But you must consider English isn't my first language ;) so sometimes I do make silly mistakes, but I'll ask a mod kindly if he/she could change it

indeed your struggle is admirable, and i admire you for learning a 2nd language something i wish to do.

Oh so I'm a lower one?

I only buy Flax and Pure Essence, I collect all other raw materials myself.

I really hate you now.

you just have a preference for independence, dont be offended. not wanting to spend $ is a self control issue. its how you play.

indeed not every1 buys their ess or bowstrings but hey wtg for them, doesnt mean they are dumb, but it definitely intrudes on your play time. and may not be as efficient but is completely reasonable.

Collecting raws ARE NOT just for lower levels, but for lower levels in that skill. It is better to collect raws yourself giving EXP in other skills, and in the end breaking even and able to make a profit

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

12pure34 I'll answer your bottom questions in order:

1) Personally I like the gathering skills - they help me make a larger profit than I would if I were to buy my skills. Also I am aiming to create a more balanced player so I need to keep my skills roughly in line with each other - gathering the materials to rain secondary skills helps to do this.

2) I think the conclusion you've made is too closed end - you're automatically assuming that those who use the gathering skills are either poor or low level. What about those who don't like the idea of buying their skills and instead gather the materials themselves? However I do agree that as you become richer the collecting skills become less important if you want to train quickly and with a minimum of fuss.

3) I'm fairly certain that this is the same as the 1st question.

4) No, I feel that the gathering skills are a good place to minimize cost and maximise profit. As well as this you meet a lot of people when you're engaging in a gathering skill.

I think I mistyped something.

I don't pick flax myself, as I said in my earlier post. I buy my food myself (used to catch lobs tho), and SOMETIMES buy my ess. Everything else I gather myself. Ores, logs. Stuff. Your opinion is that collecting raws by yourself is dumb. Okay, it's your opinion. You might make more money by hour, but I'd rather get the exp than 50 gp more per raw material. Sure, gathering materials takes time, but doesn't all skilling take time? You could say collecting materials and selling them is dumb too, if collecting them and keeping them by yourself for your own needs is.

:anxious:

6,521th to 99 woodcutting | Fletching 98/99 |

Idarodo | Combat 90 | Total 1565+ | 38m+ total exp

Retired.

I think I mistyped something.

I don't pick flax myself, as I said in my earlier post. I buy my food myself (used to catch lobs tho), and SOMETIMES buy my ess. Everything else I gather myself. Ores, logs. Stuff. Your opinion is that collecting raws by yourself is dumb. Okay, it's your opinion. You might make more money by hour, but I'd rather get the exp than 50 gp more per raw material. Sure, gathering materials takes time, but doesn't all skilling take time? You could say collecting materials and selling them is dumb too, if collecting them and keeping them by yourself for your own needs is.

:anxious:

I do get the feeling my thread isn't all I was thinking. It was more the idea that for money/hour AND exp/hour it might seem better to powertrain. I do met a person, I think level 101, which made his own leather chaps (studded) and alched them. He mined the ores for the studs. He killed his own cows. He tanned his own hides, mined his own essence and crafted these into natures. In the end, he gets 450 profit per leather chap (studded). Yes, alot of profit. Yes, alot of experience. BUT! If he would have bought pure essence and crafted natures. Bought cowhides and tanned/crafted these. And bought ores and smelted/smithed and he did this proces. He would get the same or higher experience / hour and money / hour. Or something close to it.

Sitting a proces out from start to finish seems to disappear in Runescape. Do you still chop your own logs, pick your own flax and mine your own essence, to be alching yew longs for maximum profit. Or do you buy the logs and flax and essence? Less profit, maybe less experience, but way more time efficient, which saves time, time which could be spend in repeating the process, which evens money and experience out.

Hope this one explains it a little more of what I am meaning.

Collecting materials is all preference if you bank all your logs and fish from level 1-99 you can basically get 2 other level 99 skills for free it does take more time then just buying the skill that needs the raw materials but also costs alot more

Arma Hilts-2

Bandos Drops-22

Zamork Hilt-1

Dragon Drops-122

Dk Drops-47

Whip Drops-10

99's-Herblore/Prayer/Fletching/Crafting/Constitution

2200 Total in under 100 days played

My Blog :D http://forum.tip.it/topic/301717-jessomephyrexials-blog/#entry5018330