My Top 50 Albums

Lateralus

Assassin asked me to do this week's album list, and I was happy to oblige. These albums are not necessarily the peaks of musical achievement, but they are albums that I have lived and died by, and if the purpose of the list is to reveal something about the composer then I think it's been a success. I made a few changes so as not to repeat too much from Assassin's list, but there are some albums I couldn't possibly have left out. The list is in no order.

The Libertines The Libertines

libertines-album.jpg

It's difficult for me to know where to begin with this band and album This is exactly what I think music should be. Clever lyrics, raucous energy with pop sensibilities, and just a touch of melancholic romanticism. This is Lennon and McCartney in leather jackets and a drug fueled haze. It's a little ironic that my favourite album should document the death of my favourite band. The opening track, Can't Stand Me Now sets the tone for the record, with the two frontmen, Pete Doherty and Carl Barat, exchanging verbal blows and lamenting the decline of their once solid friendship over a background of punchy, staccato guitar lines. Other standout tracks include Music When The Lights Go Out, The Man Who Would Be King, and the closing track What Became of the Likely Lads? which bookends the album, repeating the sentiments of Can't Stand Me Now. Rarely, if ever, has a band laid everything so bare.

The Beastie Boys Licensed to Ill

ill.jpg

It was hard to put Licensed to Ill on this list, given the quality of their later, more experimental work such as Paul's Boutique, but, god, this album makes me smile. Almost every track on here is a party anthem (save for the questionable inclusion of Girls). John Bonham's legendary drum intro from When The Levee Breaks is fantastically utilised to begin the album on Rhymin' & Stealin' and is just one of the many expert pieces of sampling on the record. I'm sure everyone is familiar with Fight For Your Right and No Sleep 'Till Brooklyn. Who would have known three white guys rapping about beer, girls, White Castle and Jerry Lewis could be such fun?

Babyshambles Down In Albion

babysha.jpg

Pete Doherty's sometime side project, and now main band, Babyshambles was formed in the dying days of the Libertines when he was kicked from the band due to his growing drug addictions. Loud, brash and shambolic If you think The Libertines are too rough around the edges then you will not like Babyshambles. The songs spring from the partnership of Doherty and guitarist Patrick Walden (who shines on the scratchy guitar driven 8 Dead Boys). Written and recorded with eyelids and limbs heavy with heroin, Down in Albion borders on nihilistic. The album alternates between punky numbers such as F**k Forever and Killamangiro, to the more reserved Albion and Back from the Dead. The final track, the beautiful Merry Go Round, ends with a drunken Doherty searching for a lighter before falling off a stool in the recording booth. This album is a snapshot of a man at a very low point in his life.

The Sex Pistols Nevermind the Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols

never_mind_the_bollocks.jpg

Few albums have changed the face of music as drastically as Nevermind the Bollocks. This is punk rock. Forget The Ramones - The Sex Pistols leave even The Clash in their snotty, snarling wake. The album's release was highly controversial due to the lyrical attacks on the British monarchy, social order and common decency. Labelled obscene (sample lyrics from Bodies - 'In a packet in a lavatory, die little baby, screaming [bleep]ing bloody mess'), the album still went on to reach number 1 in the British charts, spawning classic singles such as Anarchy in the UK, God Save the Queen and Pretty Vacant. It's difficult to praise this album enough.

The Pogues Rum, Sodomy & the Lash

pogues-rum-sodomy-lash.jpg

Irish music is generally typified by a few key elements: Traditional instrumentation, poetic lyrics, and songs about drinking. The stereotype is not lost on the Pogues, who banjo and fiddle and tin whistle their way through the songs as singer Shane MacGowen laments lost loves (A Pair of Brown Eyes), lost pubs (Sally MacLennane) and lost legs (And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda). If you've ever been in your local pub or bar when a Pogues song comes on, then you'll understand why this is a fantastic album. Bridging the gap between traditional Irish folk and punk, the Pogues retain the magic and mysticism of the Irish ballad whilst creating something unique and edgy. If there's a distorted guitar on this album, then I can't find it. Just goes to show that even an accordion player can be a punk. Lesser bands like Flogging Molly and The Dropkick Murphys find their roots here.

Joy Division Closer

joy.jpg

Released two months after Ian Curtis' death, Joy Division's Closer is about as dark as music gets. In many ways it can be considered the singer's suicide note. Upon hearing the new songs for the first time, Curtis' mistress Annik Honore remarked that she was terrified, saying Don't you understand? He means it. Deliberately cold production reinforces the chilling baritone delivery of the lyrics, while robotic drums and lead bass lines drive the songs as [bleep]es of guitar and synthesizer weave in and out of the mix. The Eternal is hauntingly prophetic.

The Cure Disintegration

The%20Cure%20-%20Disintegration.jpg

The result of Robert Smith's striving to create The Cure's masterpiece. Mission accomplished, if you ask me. A return to the dark, gothic sound of the early Cure albums brought on by Smith's discomfort with his status as a pop-star, Disintegration is everything that's fantastic about The Cure. The poppy ideas used in mid 80's albums were not abandoned completely and can be heard throughout, specifically on Pictures of You and Lovesong. While this album is extremely dark and gloomy, a glimmer of hope always remains, even if it's just a shiver in Smith's voice. Untitled is one of my favourite songs. Pretty, deep, dying to be loved. If you haven't heard this album, then you should have.

David Bowie The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

623.jpg

I very much doubt I'm alone when I say that this is Bowie at his best. A self indulgent, coke-driven mixture of musical styles and wacky Martian rock-god themes. Not many albums can boast a core as solid as the Moonage Daydream/Starman/It Ain't Easy progression starting at track 3. Ziggy Stardust might be the best track on here (though it sounds a little hollow after you listen to the Bauhaus version. I'm not sure which I like better). Bowie is captivating as Ziggy, and Mick Ronson rocks hard as The Spiders' lead guitar player. Rock and Roll Suicide is an epic finish, and perhaps Bowie's best vocal performance.

I'm doing my best to listen to all these albums as I write this list, and, wow, Five Years is a great way to open an album. It was cold and it rained, so I felt like an actor. Only Bowie could get away with that lyric.

Depeche Mode Violator

Depeche%20Mode%20-%20Violator.jpg

Violator makes me wish I was around when it was playing in clubs. It is a dance floor album, start to finish. World in My Eyes begins the album, making the European techno/dance influence obvious. Shuffling dance beats, a full on synth attack and Dave Gahan's crooning voice make this album sound... Sexy? I think that's a good word for it. Sweetest Perfection demands gyration of the hips. As for standout tracks, you really can't go wrong, but Enjoy The Silence, Policy of Truth and Clean are all worth a mention. If you've heard and enjoyed Personal Jesus then you'll like the rest of this album.

The Fall Hex Enduction Hour

2979-hex-enduction-hour.jpg

The highlight of post-punks The Fall and Mark E. Smith's long and fantastic career. The Fall, and this album, are difficult to describe. In a word, this album is misanthropic. Smith is angry at just about everything. The lyrics to the opening track, The Classical sum the album up better than I ever could.

There is no culture is my brag,

Your taste for bull**** reveals a lust for a home of office.

This is the home of the vain.

Where are the obligatory n***ers?

Hey there, f**kface.

There are twelve people in the world;

The rest are paste.

The Jesus and Mary Chain Psychocandy

Psychocandy.jpg

Sounds like Phil Spector and Lou Reed had a Scottish baby. Candy pop hidden behind guitars exploding. The beautiful vocal lines are coolly delivered, with bass providing the rest of the melodies. The guitars are more textural than melodic. Just Like Honey is a good example of what the album is about, as is Some Candy Talking. My favourite track from Pscyhocandy, which is also one of my favourite songs, is Something's Wrong. Someone singing Doo doo doo has never sounded so sad.

Love Forever Changes

forever+changes.jpg

This is often called a psychedelic record, but I don't agree. It has all the vibes of the summer of love style albums, but it's much sadder, and much more sophisticated. Symphonic horns and strings are used to great effect. A House is Not a Motel was the biggest hit from this record, I think.

Pink Floyd Animals

Pink_Floyd-Animals-Frontal.jpg

Musically, this is my favourite of all the Pink Floyd albums. Animals is underrated, and eclipsed by the better known albums. Five tracks in total Three ten minute plus songs, with the acoustic Pigs on the Wing Parts 1 and 2 on either side. Like The Wall, this album is lyrically centred. This time Waters' focus is Western society, which he attacks bitterly whilst borrowing loosely from George Orwell's Animal Farm. Animals has a demented, frantic vibe to it. The 17 minute Dogs is full of excellent guitar work, while Pigs is more lyrically focused, with Waters venomously spitting the outstanding Ha ha, charade you are. Sheep is structurally similar to Dogs, if a little crazier, and the guitar riff during the outro is one of Gilmour's best.

This album will always have a special place for me, as Dogs was the soundtrack to my first psychedelic experience. During the middle section where a synthesizer drones monotonously, and the word Stone... echoes over and over again, I thought I could control the passage of time. Brings a smile to my face whenever I hear that part now.

The Pretty Things S.F. Sorrow

sf_sorrow_gold_ltd_edition.jpg

S.F. Sorrow is one of the earliest rock concept albums, telling the story of the life of Sebastian F. Sorrow. Pure 60's psychedelia start to finish, it sounds a little like Pink Floyd's early work, with a Kinks-esque poppy edge. Lots of lovely vocal melodies and jaggy guitars. Even those of you with a good musical knowledge might have neglected The Pretty Things (I'm looking at you, Daan!), so I really urge you to give this album a listen. She Says Good Morning is my favourite track.

Radiohead Kid A

mojo-cover-radioheadkida.JPG

Most people would call OK Computer Radiohead's best. For me, it's Kid A, on which they completely remodeled their sound with electronic blips and weirdness, with breath taking and beautiful results. Thom Yorke really shines on this album. The fragmented, cryptic lyrical style suits his voice and the style of the album. The opening vocal melody of the title track, where Yorke sings I slipped away. I slipped on a little while lie. kills me every time. Things are stepped up a gear with the driving bass line and chaotic brass section of The National Anthem, and then How To Disappear Completely plunges beautifully into the depths of despair. Idioteque is the next highlight, with Yorke's ranting vocals shuffling along on an electronic beat. Kid A is cold, and almost disturbingly bleak, but it is a modern masterpiece.

Rainbow On Stage

Rainbowonstage.gif

This one is an odd pick, in that it's not the band or the album that I'm commending, it's just that I absolutely had to find a place for guitarist Ritchie Blackmore somewhere on this list. Blackmore is, by his own admission, not a studio guitar player To fully appreciate his playing you need to listen to live recordings, and On Stage features two examples of him at his best. The Deep Purple cover, Mistreated, is a showcase of his style and ability, though it is made somewhat cringeworthy by Dio's vocals in place of the much bluesier David Coverdale. Catch the Rainbow, normally a 6 minute acoustic number, becomes a platform for Blackmore to do what he does best, stretching it into a 15 minute guitar masterclass.

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band Next

sep.jpg

A criminally unappreciated Scottish band. Next is avant-garde, chaotic and theatrical. The songs are about gang bangs (Gang Bang), super heroes (Vambo Marble Eye), the horrors of army brothels (Next) and god knows what (Giddy-Up-A-Ding-Dong). Alex Harvey is always entertaining.

The Smiths Louder Than Bombs

LouderThanBombs.jpg

This is really more a compilation album than an LP, made up of B-sides and singles, but is the best Smiths record for my money. Lots of quiet tracks on here, broken up by more up beat and rocky songs like Sweet and Tender Hooligan and Panic. Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want is almost enough to make you cry. Lyrically, I think this is the best of Morrissey's work with The Smiths, and Johnny Marr's guitar playing is far more subtle and nuanced than on The Queen is Dead.

The Stone Roses The Stone Roses

stoneroses_album_300x300.jpg

The Stone Roses' self titled album is one of the greatest debut albums in history. I Wanna Be Adored begins with the sound of a train gathering speed, before the distinctive bass line comes to the front. Being the most sombre song The Roses have ever recorded, it does nothing to set the tone of the album, which is largely uplifting and danceable (see: She Bangs the Drums and Waterfall). I don't think John Squire was ever celebrated enough as a guitarist, and his playing on this album is absolutely flawless. If I was to pick an album from this list that I think everyone could enjoy, this would be a safe bet.

The Velvet Underground The Velvet Underground and Nico

The%20Velvet%20Underground%20-%20The%20Velvet%20Underground%20And%20Nico.jpg

Dark, droning, pretty, all at once. The Velvet Underground were never as good as they were on their debut record (White Light/White Heat coming closest). This is a love/hate album, which many of you will dislike. The production is terrible (for me this is part of the charm), and the songs are mostly avant-garde. Nico is difficult to 'get', but she's near perfect on Femme Fatale and All Tomorrow's Parties. The unquestionable highlights for me are the hypnotic Venus in Furs, and Heroin with its ever changing tempo and frantic buildup.

The Zombies Odessey and Oracle

1428113.jpg

The Zombies are the British Beach Boys in many ways. This might be a bold statement, but this album is just as good as Pet Sounds. Most of you will be familiar with the album's ultra-cool closing track, Time of the Season. What's your name? Who's your daddy? Is he rich? Is he rich like me? is a tough line to pull off. Beautiful the whole way through, mostly melancholic and reflective.

The 13th Floor Elevators The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators

album-psychedelic-sounds-of-the-13th-floor-elevators.jpg

Another fairly unknown band (I think?). The Elevators are psychedelic garage rock. Those of you who have seen the film High Fidelity will recognise the opening track, You're Gonna Miss Me. In between the LSD flavoured rock songs are melodic little gems like Splash 1, which is possibly my favourite song on here. The 13th Floor Elevators are well worth looking into, if only to hear the famous electric jug.

Bob Dylan Blood on the Tracks

media-1192682291-8905.jpg

I love almost all of Bob Dylan's albums, but I don't find it at all difficult to pick my favourite. Blood On The Tracks is everything that I love about Dylan. Idiot Wind features his most rancorous lyrics since Like A Rolling Stone, and Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts is an unbelievable piece of storytelling. A welcome combination of resentment and self-deprication.

Tool Lateralus

lateralus.jpg

I don't listen to this one much these days, but it affected me in a big way a few years ago and it would be impossible not to put it on here. Schism is a masterpiece of progressive rock, with the band effortlessly switching back and forth between 5/8 and 7/8 time. Maynard is at his lyrical best on this album, combining the anger of earlier releases with introspection and spirituality. The last two minutes of the title track are Tool at their peak.

Pulp Different Class

31.jpg

If Common People were the only song on this album, it would still have a place on my list. Highly theatrical disco/art/synth-pop with Jarvis Cocker's instantly recognisable voice and satricial lyrics about sex and society. I don't know if Pulp ever made it stateside, so it would be nice to get some of you Yanks to check them out. Common People and Disco 2000 were the big hits.

Suede Suede

suede-pretentious-gal-300.jpg

The album that started Britpop. Music could have been very different without it. There'd be no Blur, no Cast, no Oasis (Some Might Say was written as an attempt to write a more anthemic song than Suede's Animal Nitrate). Highly sexual imagery, a glam-rock edge and virtuoso guitar work from Bernard Butler.

Led Zeppelin Led Zeppelin II

led_zeppelin_ii.jpg

My old man would kill me if he knew Zeppelin were on this list when there's no trace of Deep Purple. Oh well, at least Ritchie made it. It was difficult to pick which Zeppelin album to put on here, but I think this is the one I listen to most. I might have chosen Zeppelin IV, but Bring it on Home was the clincher in the end The riff has to be one of Page's best. I don't think I need to say much about this album.

Van Morrison Astral Weeks

astral-weeks.jpg

The greatest compliment I can give this album is that it sounds like it's being played in concert every time you listen to it. Morrison's voice on this record swings between frenzied and deeply touching.

The Beach Boys Pet Sounds

beach-boys-pet-sounds-2009-lg-33596212.jpg

I can actually feel my ear enjoying this album. It rolls over you, smooth and happy. Melody, melody, melody.

Pink Floyd The Wall

Pink_Floyd_-_The_Wall.jpg

Dark Side of the Moon is highly celebrated (and rightly so), but if I was to pick Pink Floyd's magnum opus, it would be The Wall. It doesn't have the great pop songs and easy accessibility that Dark Side does, but the more sinister and biting side of Floyd is the side that I love. As a concept album/rock opera, it is executed perfectly. The lead character's descent into madness is well reflected in the songs, and the supporting cast is well realised. Roger Waters doesn't just hint at a story, the entire thing is here. To pick standout tracks defeats the purpose a little, listen to this one start to finish.

Echo and the Bunnymen Heaven Up Here

EAB_HeavenUpHere_albumcover.jpg

More gloomy post-punk. I like to place Echo and the Bunnymen somewhere between Joy Division and The Cure. Singer Ian McCulloch shares many lyrical themes with Ian Curtis; equally morose, but ultimately less nihilistic. As much as I love this album, All My Colours stands head and shoulders above the rest, with its tribal drums, heartbreak melodies and eerie refrain of Zimbo, Zimbo, Zimbo.... Edgy, atmospheric and powerful.

Sinead O' Connor I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got

oconnor-sinead-629-l.jpg

The only female entry to my list, and one that definitely deserves a place. Sinead O' Connor is blessed with the voice of an angel, though on this album she is a bitter angel with a broken heart. Nothing Compares 2 U was the massive single from this album, but it's not the best track by my reckoning. The final three tracks are the heart of the album. You Cause As Much Sorrow starts as a whisper, but builds quickly. The Last Day of Our Acquaintance is my favourite Sinead track, and a perfect example of why I love her voice so much. The title track closes the album, and is an A Capella performance over a single melody.

Uriah Heep Salisbury

6773.jpg

A very progressive record from Uriah Heep, more famously know as hard rockers. If not for the inclusion of Lady in Black and Salisbury, I don't know that this album would be anything special. Lady in Black, a folky, lyrically driven track, is one of my favourite songs. The title track is a 16 minute epic featuring a full orchestra.

Chicane Far From The Maddening Crowds

1194757218_chicane_-_far_from_the_maddening_crowds.jpg

One of my essential summer albums, and another of the many debut albums on this list. Chicane always manages to sound unique in an often sterile and samey genre, and never moreso than on this album. Ambient trance is a nice way to sum this up. Wait for a sunny day, grab a beer and a smoke and crank up the Disco Citizens remix of Sunstroke.

Morrissey Live At Earl's Court

arton249.jpg

It's very possible that Morrissey improved as he got older. The soft voice of the Smiths became deep and rich, though he's never lost his adolescent angst and insecurity. I chose a live album because that's where I think Moz shines, also the track listing is fantastic. There's a few Smiths classics (How Soon Is Now?, Bigmouth Strikes Again, There Is A Light That Never Goes Out) and a cover of Patti Smith's Redondo Beach. Pleasantly, the best tracks are from his solo albums. November Spawned A Monster is heartbreaking, The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores is full of the black humour Morrissey is famous for, and the biting I Have Forgiven Jesus is the highlight of the album.

Bert Jansch Bert Jansch

49568dbde41c1

Neil Young called Bert Jansch the acoustic Hendrix, and that's a good way to sum him up. His guitar playing is clean and innovative. Jimmy Page cites him as an influence. His voice sounds a little like Bob Dylan. If you like folk music then I think you'll love this album. Needle of Death is the best track.

Robbie Williams Life Thru A Lens

0724382131328_M.jpg

I'm not ashamed to say that I think Robbie Williams is something special. Life Thru A Lens is his first solo record, and he hasn't sounded as pompous or cheeky since. The massive Angels was from this album, but it's the upbeat songs that I love. Lazy Days, Clean and Life Thru A Lens are great tracks. This is just a great pop record.

Nirvana In Utero

1993%20-%20in%20Utero.jpg

In Utero was Kurt Cobain's attempt to distance Nirvana from the mainstream audience they gathered with Nevermind. Abrasive, raw, and deeply disturbed, In Utero is balls to the wall the whole way. Heart Shaped Box might be Cobain's best achievement lyrically, and the entire album is littered with emotional and deranged tidbits. Doll steak! Test meat!

The Clash From Here To Eternity

clash+-+From+Here+to+Eternity+.jpg

A live compilation, recorded between 1978 and 1982, From Here to Eternity contains a good variety of tracks, and makes it plain to see why, for a while, The Clash were the greatest live band in the world. Early numbers like Clash City Rockers are fiery as ever, and poppier tracks like Train in Vain sound great. I could do without some of the reggae influenced tracks, however. The final track, Straight to Hell is perhaps the greatest Clash recording around, blowing the studio version clean out the water.

John Lennon Plastic Ono Band

plastic_ono_band.jpg

Lennon's best solo effort by a mile, and better than a fair portion of The Beatles' releases. Working Class Hero is the best song he's ever written.

The Kinks Arthur (Or The Decline and Fall of the British Empire)

the_kinks_arthur_album.jpg

Arthur was written as the soundtrack to a 1960's television drama that was never shown. Few people would have guessed The Kinks would ever write as album as intelligent as this. The album as a whole is a commentary of British life of the time, focusing on the dissatisfied working class. Each song is a snapshot of a moment in Arthur's life. And, of course, Shangri-La is on here One of the few songs that can hold a candle to Waterloo Sunset.

Frank Sinatra In The Wee Small Hours

Weesmallhours.jpeg

Sinatra won the jackpot in the genetic lottery. He's got that unbelievable voice, dark hair and blue eyes. He must have been fighting the dames off with a stick. In The Wee Small Hours is Sinatra as a broken down, broken hearted man, crooning away his blues.

Moby Play

MusicCatalog%5CM%5CMoby%20-%20Play%5CMoby%20-%20Play.jpg

An incredibly diverse album. Porcelain is gorgeous, as is Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad?. I don't know why South Side works, but it does. Some of the old gospel samples on here are so good.

Eminem The Marshall Mathers LP

z.jpg

Never has such a disgustingly offensive album sold so well. I'm not a huge rap fan, but I have a lot of respect for Eminem. Rap is often attacked for guns, money, [bleep]es lyrics. To anyone making this argument Think of your favourite band or artist, and put their lyrics toe to toe with Eminem's. Eminem will win. Brutal honesty is what makes this album great, from the confessional The Way I Am to the immensely powerful Kim (the greatest rap song ever written, if you ask me).

Bruce Springsteen Nebraska

highwaypatrolman_alb-n.jpg

I'll state this plainly I am not a Bruce Springsteen fan. I despise stadium oriented work with The E-Street Band. That said, I love this album like few others. Stripped down completely, Nebraska rarely features more than voice and acoustic guitar (and of course the omnipresent glockenspiel that Springsteen seems to love).The title track opens the album beautifully with a haunting harmonica. Bruce then tells the story of Charles Starkweather's killing spree in first person, making you almost sympathetic towards him. Johnny '99 is the another highlight The tale of the killing of a clerk as an up-tempo rockabilly song. I'm a sucker for murder ballads.

The Libertines Up the Bracket

B00006JSIU.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

If the self titled second album was The Libertines' death rattle, then Up The Bracket is their cry of joy. I'm not all that sure which I prefer. Recorded before the relationship and drug problems that would later destroy the band, this album is up beat and carefree. The opener, Vertigo is probably the weakest track, and makes way for the infinitely better Death on the Stairs, which is propelled by a scratchy, mistake-laden lead guitar line. Horrorshow is pure garage rock. Time for Heroes and the title track are two of the best things The Libs ever did. The penultimate track, The Good Old Days has to be the one to look for, however. If you've lost your faith in love and music, oh the end won't be long.

Lou Reed Transformer

Lou%20Reed%20-%20Transformer.jpg

Beautiful, crazy, smutty and funny. Walk on the Wild Side overshadowed his work with The Velvet Underground, which is a real shame.

R.E.M. - Automatic for the People

automaticcover.jpg

Emotional and serious. I haven't been listening to this much lately, but I think I'll start soon. Stipe's voice is at it's best on songs like Drive, and Try Not To Breathe. Nightswimming is the best thing R.E.M. have done.

Holst The Planets Suite

0077776203027-lf.jpg

Easily accessible classical music, a great place to get started. Listen to Jupiter before you make any judgments. It's one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written. Crank up your stereo and you'll be air conducting in no time.

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds Murder Ballads

murder.jpg

Nick Cave must be one of the coolest people in music today, and writing about evil, darkness and death is what he does best. Song of Joy sounds like an old ghost story, expertly told. Stagger Lee might be the most badass song ever written. Kylie Minogue's soft voice is a perfect counterpoint to Nick Cave's menacing crooning, and the Bob Dylan cover Death is not the End closes the album on an almost humorous note, despite the dozens if not hundreds of brutal murders and deaths that take place from tracks one to nine.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

Love, Jesus and Mary,Louder Than a bomb(smithes),Different Class(pulp),The B-Boys - great choices :thumbup:

at least 15 of the artists above are on my list too,some with different albums though

Gustav Holst :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

If you haven't (which I'm sure you most likely have), listen to his First Suite in F and Second Suite in E flat. Absolutely amazing pieces. I've had The Planets CD since I was 8. Great stuff.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Rainbow's On Stage is so incredible. I remember that you tipped me on Rainbow a couple of years ago, and I listened to nothing else than the On Stage record. Good stuff. I am surprised that there is no Deep Purple on it though, you used to be a pretty big fan, right? I also expected Dog Man Star insead of the self titled Suede record. Also thumbs up for picking In Utero instead of Nevermind, it would be my Nirvana pick as well. I never heard of the Pretty Things, The Fall and some others, so I've got some new stuff to check out. I kind of hoped Assassin would've picked you, since I was very curious. It was kind of what I hoped for: A list with stuff I knew you liked and also some new things to check out, I always like to try new stuff when you're recommending them.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Rainbow's On Stage is so incredible. I remember that you tipped me on Rainbow a couple of years ago, and I listened to nothing else than the On Stage record. Good stuff. I am surprised that there is no Deep Purple on it though, you used to be a pretty big fan, right? I also expected Dog Man Star insead of the self titled Suede record. Also thumbs up for picking In Utero instead of Nevermind, it would be my Nirvana pick as well. I never heard of the Pretty Things, The Fall and some others, so I've got some new stuff to check out. I kind of hoped Assassin would've picked you, since I was very curious. It was kind of what I hoped for: A list with stuff I knew you liked and also some new things to check out, I always like to try new stuff when you're recommending them.

I just couldn't find a place for Deep Purple anywhere on the list. Machine Head is brilliant, but it's just straightforward hard rock - It doesn't feel magical like On Stage does. Maybe I could have picked Made in Japan, but oh well. I'm surprised you haven't heard of The Fall.

I haven't heard those Holst pieces, Range. I'll definitely check them out.

A fantastic and very interesting list. I share many of the same favourites, but I'm going to make an effort to listen to all the albums you mentioned on there which I haven't already heard (through Spotify) and re-listen to many of the ones I do own in light of your comments.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

I'm going to try that Bert Jansch as well. Never heard of him either. 8-)

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Very nice list. Approved. :thumbup:

In Utero instead of Unplugged in New York though?

Unplugged in New York is a great album, but In Utero is Nirvana as they should be.

It's a great list. I'm not going to pretend I've heard of all the albums on it, but the writing that accompanies is great. You really show your passion for this music, and it definitely makes me want to check out some of these albums.

It's a great list. I'm not going to pretend I've heard of all the albums on it, but the writing that accompanies is great. You really show your passion for this music, and it definitely makes me want to check out some of these albums.

Kind words. Have you heard On Stage? I think you'd really love it.

I haven't been able to find it, although it is sometimes played in a bar I visit.

I came into this thread expecting like super obscure metal bands that everyone but me had heard of...but i know most of these bands lol. I really like this list. It's got some terrific albums...making a top 50 list is hard, let alone a top 10 list. Good stuff. Like the R.E.M. album right there at number 3...but New Adventures in High-Fi is my favorite of theirs.

Personally, I was never expected that you even listened to any kind of punk, let alone liked it. Also, the fact that you are able and willing to justify every choice you made, just angers me since I can't look into any of these bands without downloading their music or spending money, since Youtube isn't working for me and Spotify isn't available in Canada.

Good list, I enjoyed reading it, and I love the spread of genres and tastes.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

Another good list. Rainbow - On Stage is a phenomenal Cd.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

Love the list man, especially Animals :thumbsup: , haven't heard of some of those bands though, might have to check them out :)

Masta Chef

archsupportei2.png

Drops-- Dragon: Medium(2),Spear(1),Legs(2),Skirt(1)

Pharaoh's Scepter(1)

Barrows items(10 total)

Cool list. Heep, Floyd, Pogues, REM, Sinead O'Connor, Led Zeppelin and Moby! Surprised to hear that someone else than me on here likes Moby =)

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Eminem The Marshall Mathers LP

Never has such a disgustingly offensive album sold so well. I'm not a huge rap fan, but I have a lot of respect for Eminem. Rap is often attacked for guns, money, [bleep] lyrics. To anyone making this argument Think of your favourite band or artist, and put their lyrics toe to toe with Eminem's. Eminem will win. Brutal honesty is what makes this album great, from the confessional The Way I Am to the immensely powerful Kim (the greatest rap song ever written, if you ask me).

That's exactly how I feel about him, although I'd probably say I enjoy the harmony between his rapping and the beats more than the actual lyrics. They're still good, but the catchiness of his songs is what lured me in.

Oh yeah, and Animals is a great album.