Looking back at Runescape.

Rebdragon

Disclaimer: I know that we're technically not supposed to chat about Runescape here, but I don't think I can exactly put this in General or General P2P. This part of Tip.it seems to have the most "retired" people, so I was just wondering what retired players were thinking.

Recently I quit Runescape, but I still spend a lot of time at General P2P, which often feels odd as I'm talking to people with a completely different stance towards the game. I was just wondering, for those who have retired, looking back at the game how do you feel about Runescape in general? What about the mindlessness of the game? The constant clicking? The achieving of high levels? How it reflects towards daily life? The fact that players respect high levels? How has your stance towards the game changed over time? Do not limit yourself to these questions, they're just there to stimulate a discussion.

It'd be nice to compare how I feel about the game to other peoples' opinions :lol: .

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Aww I thoguht once you got 94 mage "all for cw barraging" =[

Good luck with school reb.

Oh and I love some high levels, some of them are just so stupid and i can toy with them and get htem mad at anything.

When i joined TIF my look at rs changed, alot.

cursedtoastsignature.png

Come to #tip-it on Swift IRC, if you're cool

Aww I thoguht once you got 94 mage "all for cw barraging" =[

Good luck with school reb.

Oh and I love some high levels, some of them are just so stupid and i can toy with them and get htem mad at anything.

When i joined TIF my look at rs changed, alot.

I did, but with PC there are like 21,000 people who can Barrage, so it's not as fun as it used to be, especially when you get into CW clan wars where everyone and their mom can Barrage there. Too bad, that was the only thing driving me to play the game.

As for school, it's easing up :) .

I suppose my biggest question is, do you respect high skill levels and good accounts? I used to respect them highly when I played, but now I almost look down having a Runescape character with thousands of hours put into it. Everyone who plays the game seems to respect them, but it seems so odd to me to respect people for spending hours on something that takes no skill or brainpower, and doesn't develop your mind or body in any way.

Many other video games take skill, intelligience, and coordination to get good at them, and thus "good" players deserve respect. Runescape takes no skill or intelligience at all, yet 'Scapers respect high levels just like people who gain respect for actually having skill. It just seems so odd that [nearly?] every player feels that way.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

I feel that I should ask Jagex for those four years of my life back...Honestly I didn't find it very fun after I reached the most money I'd ever had... It was fun having the 23m for a while, but then I decided to get Ryan to start playing again, so I bought both of us full guthans and whips. He quit after like a week lol. Then I got really bored again and ended up giving away pretty much all of it to a friend...900k left.

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

I like how everyone immediately becomes hyper cynical after they quit :P

I still play (shoot me), because, shock horror, I still enjoy it. Isn't that what gaming is about? I think people get too caught up nowadays in how fancy the graphics are and often ignore the simple fun factor. I have some good friends on it, and after a day of working hard and thinking hard at school a bit of simple clicking is just what I want for an hour or two.

I'm not a serious gamer, so the simplicity and wholesome fun factor is what I want.

I've moved this to video games and consoles, possibly more appropriate.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

I quit a few months ago because I got bored of it. There was always something to do but it wasn't fun to do. After quitting, I took up electric guitar, my social life improved and I found I had time for other games as well.

ragenori9bosq4.gif

Thanks Venomai for this super sig and Kwimbob for the awesome avatar!

I enjoyed the time that I played, and I stopped playing when I didn't enjoy it anymore. I made some extra friends on the game and got here, and generally had good fun. I don't see how the clicking on runescape is more 'useless' than that on world of warcraft or any other computergame.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

I always will look back on classic as a great game. I played rs2 for a while trying to pk but I guess I was just grasping at straws. Quite a waste of time IMO. Im starting grade 11 this year, I have quite runescape so hopefully my grades will go up.

I enjoyed making macros to 'beat the system' nowadays runescape cheating has become thousands of leeches who just want macros to make pixils. The only macroers who still cheat and are not like this are those in the tight srl community.

The constant clicking?

I have always hated the endless clicking. The only thing I liked in runescape was classic pking. I autofished lobs and pked. I never cared about the pixils, I just liked the thrill of pking. Classic pking was much more than mindless clicking.

The achieving of high levels?

The highest level I have achieved legitly is 70 range on my half finished hybrid. After 70 I couldn't be bothered to get it higher.

How it reflects towards daily life?

Classic especially, I used to spend 6 hours a day pking. If I wasn't at school, out or sleeping, I was usually pking. Nowadays because I work theres no way I would have time for that.

The fact that players respect high levels?

I have never had any respect for anyone just because they had high levels. I have only ever respected intelligent and mature people in runescape, these people have been rapidly decreasing over the years.

How has your stance towards the game changed over time?

I could probably write a whole speech on this, but I can pretty much sum it up as:

Jagex is now a company, trying to get money rather than just making a game.

In rs2 most of the updates have gotten dumber and dumber.

The runescape population has gotten bigger, stupider, younger, more ignorent and much more.

The original feel has just.... gone.

IMO runescape has been going downhill since rs2.

l33tspeak4tk.gif

Don't be afraid your life will end, be afraid it will never begin.

I quit at level 108, which was huge in 2002, but it's nothing today (though I do get the occassional "how are you over level 99" if I log in, barely ever though).

It was just like any other game. I couldn't quit playing Diablo II until I got my paladin to level 99. Had to get a good level and equip in Everquest. Max level in WoW.

Still, it's a waste of time, and I was fairly younger when I played many of those games (except WoW in which my account was shared by 3 people to level up faster). My advice is play them for fun. Playing RS up to 108 isn't "fun", it's compulsive.

And I have no idea why I stuck around these forums 8-) I use at least 6-7 forums weekly and mod a few of them like this one. I guess tip.it just has a good community in general.

Good quote that applies, at least to me:

I played while I had fun, when I stopped having fun I quit.

Games are meaningless. When they're not fun, do something that matters. They're meant to just pass your time.

RuneScape was to me a really good game. The feeling I had while playing during the first year (2001) was amazing. I liked that the game wasn't very popular and had a rather small community. It was fun competing with my friends to gain higher levels. But as time went by most of my real life friends stopped playing and just one continued playing seriously. And as I gained levels I got interested in the hiscores and decided to try and advance on them.

Back then I looked up and amired higher level persons like BlueRose13x, Lightning, Pugxsi and others at the top of the hiscore charts. They inspired me to put effort into the game and achieve goals. A level 99 skill was astonishing and you felt lightyears away from achieving it.

But it was so different back then. Now there are too many players, and you can't really change the game like BlueRose did. I really think RuneScape is past its prime, but it's because I don't like what the game has turned into.

I don't like all the changes that have made the game easier. I liked the mindless, constant clicking that was before RuneScape 2. Leveling was actually a challange back then. Now it's just click on a tree or a rock etc and the game continues to click for you. Not saying that it's a walk in the park these days, but it's just not the same.

However, this is not really the reason I quit though, I just started playing World of Warcraft and it was much more fun. But if the game was like it was the day I started playing back in 2001, I wouldn't hesitate to start playing again.

Visit for some memories: RunescapeTipsForums

untitledyw7.png

Visit for some memories: RunescapeTipsForums

Were those the forums before Scapeboard? I remember visiting them every now and then. I remember lurking a lot, I didn't join till there was an "old" Scapeboard. I was just wondering how long of a span that was.

According to the memberslists RunescapeTips Forums were created Feb 20. 2001 and Old Tip.it/Runescape Forums a k a old Scapeboard were created Jan 28. 2002

untitledyw7.png

What about the mindlessness of the game?

It was alot different before there were millions of players. In alot of ways you felt like Runescape was a small world. I remember when some players made their own inn above the bar in varrok. They charged people for using the rooms and they sold differents sorts of food. It was alot of fun to roleplay out situations that were actually entirely antithetical to Runescape's gameplay. Of course disruptive players just wandered around without paying for a room and refused to buy anything from the "Hotel owners" but it was still entertaining to experience somebody elses vision of what they wanted to do inside Runescape. The hotel remained in place for a few weeks then disappeared. Things like this, players setting up their own shops in abandoned buildings or dancing around drinking beer singing and partying in various ways, were more common a long time ago in Runescape, though the cabbage clan or whatever it's called is giving them a run for their money.

I quit in early '05 after almost four years solid.

For a long time I was as many of you are now. You can't believe you played that long. I preached that the game was/is a waste of time. Hours spent every day clicking on rocks instead of socializing.

As the years passed though I realized that was a fun time of my life. I learned a lot from that game (a lot about how economies function, team strategy, basics of fletching, etc) and I find myself drawing on that knowledge much more often then I thought.

Also I am still talk to friends everyday that I meant online. In Wisconsin I would never have made friends with people in Austraila, England, Russia, and California. I know people from each of those places and as we all quit RS and all now attend Universities, out friendship grows.

Priceless experiences came from that game. I would do it all over again.

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

I just decided I'd like to start back up lol. My main just got unbanned, So now I have to be careful on him, since its his last chance. :ohnoes: It took them over 2 months to reply to my final appeal, but I got him back!!! Time to start up on a lvl 98 again with 3.5m to work off of \'

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

i still play it, simply because of friends and learning...and a tad of addictivity (?)

i learn the basics and advanced stuff of selling and buying and iv found it useful and im only 12 :shock: cant wait till 25 :twisted:

wendigo66.jpeg

click my sig for my blog!!!

Thanks everyone for the sigs they pwn!

No. Why should i give presents for someone in rs?

Most selfish thing I've ever heard