Baxtorian Fishing and the Herblore Advantage

caldius

Most people will tell you that the new up-date to herblore brought with Barbarian Training is useless, but I disagree. Through this short guide I will show you how to efficiently collect caviare to improve your herblore experiance whilst training a bit of fishing along the way (I have be told by those around me the fishing experiance is actually great, but I havn't been keeping track nor is it the point of this guide).

fishingstart.jpg

What you need

-To have completed the parts of Barbarian Training up to fishing pregnant fish and creating potion mixes.

-37 agility (for efficient banking in the gnome stronghold)

-70 fishing (for leaping sturgeons)

-Varriable herblore level depending on what mixes you plan on making

-A barbarian fishing rod

-Bait (fish bait, feathers, fish off cuts or roe)

-a knife

-Potions to add caviar too

I will not detail the completion of barbarian training as at this time there are many guides out there on how to do and will simply start from the fishing.

fishmap.jpg

On this map we can see the area where we are fishing, the fishing spots all being marked. In the north east corner of the gnome stronghold there is an agility short cut that we will be using for banking.

Pregnant fish can only be caught in the lake above Baxtorian Falls where the whirlpool cave is located. To catch them a barbarian fishing rod must be used with these fishing locations whilst your inventory contains bait. When you first start out you will need to bring some bait of your own, either fishing bait or feathers, but after some time fishing you will find you will be able to get by using the fish off cuts and roe for bait since you will be ussually get 1 roe and a fish off cuts from the leaping trout and salmon. I suspect that roe makes a better bait than off cuts, although I have not confirmed this.

When you have fished a full load you can cut up your fish using the knife into roe and fish off cuts. Its importent at this stage NOT to cut up any leaping sturgeons you may have caught, if you do their caviar will be used as bait in your next round of fishing and this is counter productive to our goal, which is collecting a large amount of caviar to be used for herblore.

Once you have a full invent of leaping sturgeons cut them up and bank the caviar, the off cuts you get from here will be the bait you use for the next round of fishing.

fish-cav.jpg

If how ever you are finished fishing you can now make up your potions. As many people have suggested, there probably isn't that many uses for the new mixes. They give the same bonuses as regular potions, do a little bit of healing but only come in two dose, not an efficient use of inventory space. Perhaps someone will come up with a great new use for these mixes and then everyone one will use them, but in the mean time they can be used for training herblore experiance.

But I don't want to waste my good combat potions by turning them into mixes, I hear you say, and I wouldn't suggest it. The trick is to use those potions that tend to sit in your bank, because you made them to train herblore, but don't really get out much and when they do its not ussually in a combat situation. I'm talking those hunting potions, fishing potions and energy potions.

pots.jpg

Fishing potions yeild an extra 38exp per mix, so an extra 76exp for each 4 dose potion you might have stored.

Super Energy potions yeild an extra 39exp per mix, for an extra 78exp for each 4 dose potion you might have stored.

And finaly Hunter potions potions yeild an extra 40exp per mix, therefore an extra 80exp for each 4 dose potion you might have stored.

Its not ALOT of extra experiance, but considering the cost (next to nothing) and the time (15-30 minutes per load, give or take) this method should increase your herblore experiance gains.

Experiance Breakdown

-10 cooking experiance for gutting fish

-50 fishing experiance and 5 strenght and agility experiance per leaping trout

-70 fishing experiance and 6 strength and agility experiance per leaping salmon

-80 fishing experiance and 7 strength and agility experiance per leaping sturgeon

-38 Herblore experiance per fishing mix

-39 Herblore experiance per super energy mix

-40 Herblore experiance per hunter mix

Q&A

What happens if I lose my rod/ dropped it?

Just search under Otto's bed, he seems to keep an infanent supply under there.

What happens if I run out of bait before getting a full load of leaping sturgeons?

There are two options, one you could go some where to get more bait or two you could cut up one of your sturgeons and use its offcuts and caviar as bait. I go with the second option because I have found that sturgeons have a much higher off cut yeild than the other fish and I have also found that caviar has a much increased chance of catching another sturgeon.

All my potions are four dose, how do I get them as 2 dose to make mixes?

By using a four dose potion on an empty vial you will decant it down into two two dose potions.

Why don'y you recommend creating mixes with potion "X"?

As I mentioned before, the combat potions used as mixes arn't very efficient inventory space use if you want to take them into combat, it is much better to take a 4 dose pot and a shark (or any other food). That way you arn't wasting a pot dose (by using it to heal when you are already potted) or wasting its food component (by potting when you are at full health). Having said all of that, they are your potions so you can do what ever you want with them. If you are a skiller trying to grind out herblore experiance and don't want to sell your other potions then yes, I would definitly turn them into mixes too.

So its only those three potions you mentioned that would be worth making then?

Well there are other options, you could turn relicym's balm into a mix, but because of the inconveinience required to collect the herbs for that potion I don't tend to keep any of it around, but sure its an option. Also you may like to keep a few anti-poisens as mixes so if you are rushing back to the bank poisened you can cure the poisen and be healed some. As I said, its up to you.

It may also be advantagous to turn zamorrack potions into mixes to offset the damage they deal, how ever not being high enough hreblore to make these I couldn't give a certain answer. Further more, it may be worth turning other pots, such as super sets, into mixes in certain situations, such as the Tzaar fight caves where you may only use one or two doses anyway.

What is the Cut-off between using Roe and Caviar to create mixes?

My experimentation has found that potions below (and including) retore potions can be turned into mixes using roe. For anything above that (energy potions and higher) you will need to use Caviar.

Is there any advantage to creating mixes with Caviar when they could normally be created using Roe?

There is no advantage in doing this. It does not give any more herblore experiance or enhance the properties of the mix in anyway. Save your Caviar for higher leveled mixes.

When you make a mix it comes in 2 doses per vial, is it possible to combine them back into 4 doses?

No, you may only have 2 dose per vial per mix. It is for this reason that they are generally inefficint when used with combat potions.

How much do the mixes heal?

Mixes made on roe will heal 3hp per dose, mixes made on caviar will heal 12hp per dose

Apendix 1 - Complete List of Mixes and Experiance from KB

pl.jpg

Apendix 2 - Levels required to Catch Pregnant Fish

untitled.jpg

Please post any questions and comments. Thanks, Caldius.

Caldius.png

I'd like to say that I tried world hopping gathering defense pots and the time spent collecting isn't worth it, BUT as you say those unused pots we use for leveling are perfect. That's what I've been doing with the caviar and I think using on my hunting pots and magic essence pots would be a good one or two levels of herblore with little effort.

Hey, you get to level agility, strength, fishing and herblore at once.

I can imagine agility mixes being a good sell for those training agility, and I know that's what I'll be using. Healing plus the extra bonus of the agility bonus is great and it heals an almost perfect amount (3-6).

Take a full load on the course and its, well almost what this update was made for.

Loads of new ideas here, I'd like to hear more.

Hours Available (EST|GMT-5) Mon-Fri: 7-11pm | Sat-Sun: Throughout the day

st+tyrael.png

9/10

Zammy brews? maybe the new mixing ability can help with the hp burn. That may make it worth the extra spot.

Do sara mixes heal you more above max hp then sara brews?

Smobo.png

Got his first skill cape April 7th 2009, at lv 121+12 cb and 2000 total

Do you know where the "cut off point" is, between roe and caviar?

Nice guide btw... :thumbsup:

That's what I'm after too. There's no point in me taking the time to get caviar if I only need roe for the potions I'm using...

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

Im not sure of the exact cut-off point but it is definitly below combat potions since I needed caviar to mix one of them up in my trials. Unfortunetly I didn't have anything lower to test the exact value but I will look into it.

*Edit* - Further testing reveals that it is atleast below agility potions.

*Edit again* - The highest potion that can be turned into a mix is the restore potion... Roe doesnt really have much use.

Caldius.png

Im not sure of the exact cut-off point but it is definitly below combat potions since I needed caviar to mix one of them up in my trials. Unfortunetly I didn't have anything lower to test the exact value but I will look into it.

*Edit* - Further testing reveals that it is atleast below agility potions.

*Edit again* - The highest potion that can be turned into a mix is the restore potion... Roe doesnt really have much use.

Cool.

Is there an advantage to using Caviare when you could have used Roe?

Goals to get my skills back up to a barely respectable level on the high scores:

mayjest.png

Currently going for Bone to Peaches spell. It's amazing how boring doing the same repetitive task is! Stupid MTA

maybe you could examine what potions need caviar and what need roe?

What is the Cut-off between using Roe and Caviar to create mixes?

My experimentation has found that potions below (and including) retore potions can be turned into mixes using roe. For anything above that (energy potions and higher) you will need to use Caviar.

Caldius.png

If you're only using the bank to drop off caviar, can't you just do it at the BA deposit box? It seems like it would be closer and you don't need agility to get there. Also, you can use the games necklace to get close to the fishing area because it puts you at BA.

rs0.jpg

Also, which fishes(yes, it's a word, odd one though, =p) can give you caviar?

I think only the stergens give caviar, because i have not gotten any from the salmon or trout.

Don't ask me for what I do for fun.

Anyways, what I do for fun (besides RS) is to tear up assignments I get and then try to re-create them. It's so much fun =D.

(I also like differrent things.(and purple ))

Hasaple2.png

Hasaple2.png

Isnt it faster to bank at Barbarian Outpost?

mbrun.gif

Barrows Drops: Guthan's platelegs and War Spear, Dharok's plate body and Great Axe, Verac's Flail, Verac's Helm x 2, Ahrim's top, Dharok's plate legs

Dragon Drops: Medium Helm x 4, Shield Left Half, plate legs x 2, skirt x 2.

• 2 weeks later...

I read this last night, and I thought "finally, something to do with the fishing potions I made". But I saw you needed 70 fishing, which I don't have, so I put it aside in my mind.

So now, I thought about it again, and remembered something - the Warrior's Guild sells attack, strength, and defence potions (although 3 dose), with 10 in stock and a decent restocking time. So, if you don't have any potions you want to use roe on, but don't have 70 fishing to get caviar, you can world switch and buy tons of attack and strength potions (defence needs caviar), and add roe to them. They're pretty cheap - I don't think the attack and strength potions get higher than 18 each - so you're getting some pretty cheap experience, although you'll have to spend time getting the roe. Plus, if you don't need the mixes, you can just empty the potions and fill them with water - getting you cheap water filled vials.

This could be a great way to earn Herblore experience.

danceswithmimesfinallysnx7.png

People with fluffy pink avatars are generally expected to be nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Caldius, :)

Your guide helps a lot and is very well written. :) Maybe should you simply add a few lines on how to complete Otto's herblore related task (although it's pretty self explanatory one should be told to bring along about 20 feathers or regular fishing baits to get started right away).

Thanks a bunch for your guide, keep up the good work! :D

What you need

(...)

-37 agility (for efficient banking in the gnome stronghold)

Actually 37 agility is only needed if you don't have a game necklace to teleport to the Barbarian Outpost. Banking to the deposit box in the hall of Barbarian minigame is way faster then going back all the way to Grand Tree! ;)

How much do the mixes heal?[/b]

Mixes made on roe will heal 3hp per dose, mixes made on caviar will heal 12hp per dose.

The KB says "Each dose of potion will heal 3-6 Hitpoints". I assumed it heals 3 hp for roe and 6 hp for caviar. Have you tried it yourself with caviar mixes? Can you please confirm it heals up to 12 hp per sip?

24 hp in two sips would make caviar mixes to actually heal more than any kind of food per slot (except from strawberries baskets which aren't really suitable for combat), and that would be truly awesome for player whom aren't using Guthans!! :shock: :D

Best greetings from your friend,

Zou Lou.

Retired from RuinedScape 12/15/07.

Now playing a Tauren Shaman on World of Warcraft.

Server: Ravencrest.

Username: Zulu.

24 hp in two sips would make caviar mixes to actually heal more than any kind of food per slot (except from strawberries baskets which aren't really suitable for combat), and that would be truly awesome for player whom aren't using Guthans!! :shock: :D

Best greetings from your friend,

Zou Lou.

I don't understand where you got the 24? If each dose heals up to 6 hp, doesn't that make 12 hp per two sips?

Maybe I am missing something here, would you mind explaining? Thanks :)

Caldius said "mixes made on caviar will heal 12hp per dose". Vials holding mixes contains two doses, so that would have made 24 hp per inventory slot...

But I've checked this out myself and Caldius was mistaken.

Caviar mixes heals only 6 hp per sip, not 12! :shame:

As Caldius did mention himself, it makes this update rather useless except for the extra herblore xp on low level pots no one wants to buy, which is the whole point of his guide, he he he! ;)

Still, for the ones who don't care too much about cooking xp (like me), I believe baxtorian falls fishing to be the best fishing xp in game! No needs to bank all your caviar though... There is no real market for it. :roll:

Greetings,

Zou Lou.

Retired from RuinedScape 12/15/07.

Now playing a Tauren Shaman on World of Warcraft.

Server: Ravencrest.

Username: Zulu.

wow

up to 12 hitpoints of healing per dose with 2 doses per pot

if you dont have much of a use for attack pots etc that can be great for mid level monsters

(very cheap as the only cost would be the attack potion cost or str pot or whatever you use

24 hp is the best healing amount out there i do think (sea turtle or something like that)

well thats my input

a very well made guide

it might not help too many people but non the less it seems like you already rang a few bells

good idea here

glad to be a follower of guthix

strength through balance