Why no multi-quote button?

I'm wondering why this forum does not have the multi quote button. It is a very handy tool, you can click the multi-quote button on each post within a thread that you wish to reply to, so when you do reply you have every post in seperate quotes. This makes it very easy and efficient to reply in large threads where you need to address multiple posts. Without the multi-quote button, one must spend more time copy/pasting the posts they wish to reply to, along with quote tags. This is a very long and tedious process which causes some posters to even give up on a topic because they can't be bothered to waste so much time on it.

Thanks for any input

Runescaper (off and on) since late 2001

But perhaps there are some limitations with phpBB?

It's only a matter of installing the proper MOD or writing the code to do it. PhpBB doesn't limit what someone can write to extend it. In the end all it would really take is retrieving multiple posts from the database instead of just one like the current quote system does. Not all that hard to do for someone with a bit of experience with PHP and how PhpBB works.

This would be quite useful in the end.

It's only a matter of installing the proper MOD or writing the code to do it. PhpBB doesn't limit what someone can write to extend it. In the end all it would really take is retrieving multiple posts from the database instead of just one like the current quote system does. Not all that hard to do for someone with a bit of experience with PHP and how PhpBB works.

Wait, are you guys talking about like multiple quote buttons on the viewtopic page? What i was thinking, to make it a bit less server intensive, and easier to code, would be to add a quote button to the reply page, where it shows the previous posts, and then when you click on it, it puts in in the posting box. Hell, that could easily be done with a little bit of php and a simple js function.

Wait, are you guys talking about like multiple quote buttons on the viewtopic page? What i was thinking, to make it a bit less server intensive, and easier to code, would be to add a quote button to the reply page, where it shows the previous posts, and then when you click on it, it puts in in the posting box. Hell, that could easily be done with a little bit of php and a simple js function.

A "multi-quote" button next to the existing quote button on each post.

You click it for each post you want to reply to.

When you clicked them all and you are ready to reply you press reply and the text field now shows all the quoted posts in their own seperate quotes with one or more blank lines between each post to make it easy for you to poke right in there and enter your reply to each post.

It's like how runescape communities reply function works. However your idea seems good, though because I've never heard of such a way to do it, I do not know if it would work, but it sounds plausible. However, the main point of this is to select the comments you want to reply to before you get to the reply page, so that they are all there ready to be replied to. For your option someone would have to go through the topic preview and re-find each post, which your basically doing the same thing without the mutli-quote option your just not copying and pasting, and entering two tags. So it's kind of just reducing the work, but it's an impractical one. The other option may put more strain on the server, but it makes the posters life easier.

In the end all it would really take is retrieving multiple posts from the database instead of just one like the current quote system does. Not all that hard to do for someone with a bit of experience with PHP and how PhpBB works.

What he said.

There's a lot of tidbits these forums could use, this is a major one that separates the Tip.It Forums with the RSC Forums. Diminish that line?

It's quite a nagging thing to quote multiple people at once, especially if it's a long topic, or a topic with intensive pictures.

People already over use quotes as it is. No thanks.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

In the end all it would really take is retrieving multiple posts from the database instead of just one like the current quote system does. Not all that hard to do for someone with a bit of experience with PHP and how PhpBB works.

What he said.

There's a lot of tidbits these forums could use, this is a major one that separates the Tip.It Forums with the RSC Forums. Diminish that line?

It's quite a nagging thing to quote multiple people at once, especially if it's a long topic, or a topic with intensive pictures.

I'm not sure the admins really care if we are similar or not to the RSC forums (we know we're better already lol) but instead want to give people an easy to use forum to talk about a variety of subjects. When responding to replies on my blog I have to quote each reply, copy it, respond to it then repeat that several times over depending on how many people have posted.

I think it would be useful but i'm pretty sure the phpBB doesn't allow it.

gladz.png

Proud Retired Council of The Gladiatiorz

Click here for our website - 110+ F2P Combat Requirements

Well then, how are you to respond to many posts within a thread and make the reader know what you are talking about without constantly having to go back to the post (if you bother referring to it) to know what they are responding to?

No, people overdo quote pyramids. A lot.

And besides, if people really did over use quoting multiple people in one post (which I don't see much), that would only serve to further his point that a multi-quote button would be useful.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Love the idea would be very useful in Blogscape, but what concerns me is would users abuse the " Quote Button. "

I agree because people who already "spam it up" with quote pyramids would probably go overboard.

However it's not that hard to quote multiple people, just type in everything yourself (copy and paste the messages being quotes of course). But a multi-quote button would still be handy.

codguy.png

Codguy.png

Well then, how are you to respond to many posts within a thread and make the reader know what you are talking about without constantly having to go back to the post (if you bother referring to it) to know what they are responding to?

Tabs <3:

cescsig.jpg

Love the idea would be very useful in Blogscape, but what concerns me is would users abuse the " Quote Button. "

RuneScape Community already has this implemented. So far, they haven't reached any barriers.

j0xPu5R.png

How d'yu mean 'abuse'? As in, click every post they either agree or disagree with, instead of one which expresses their view best, and making some huge monstrosity of a post?

There's another forum (I.P Invision Power Board) that has this. Now given, the forum doesn't hold as much discussions as here (and more or less is filled with spam, relative to these forums, including one random person shouting "BURN THE WITCH!" every other post -.- ), the multi-quote button does come in handy.

I can really see it being handy in the Bugs / Suggestion board. A suggester can multi-quote people and respond to them all at once. As for the abuse issue, I really can't see it becoming a problem. We just need to report people who do abuse it for spam and continue on as normal.

f475e02ecc.png

don't worry, you are going to "hell" anyway. wanna race to see who gets there first?

Officially reached 100 Combat at 1:33PM EST, June 14, 2007

First Dragon Drop: Dragon Chain (Dust Devils) @ 10:48PM EST, July 14, 2008, lv113 combat

Simple solution, as with any other tool on Tip.It, report it. Be strict on the rule for the first while of the update, then slowly ease off to a set punishment, or stay strict enough that it settles into the users head that they can't break rules on Tip.It. Not that you didn't know the last part. ::'

I don't see how being able to easily quote several different posts in one post can be abused any more than anything there currently is on tip.it

All it does is lets us do something we can already do, but much more easily and efficiently.

Quote pyramids come from the quote button, not multi quote button. Rules in general must be enforced, nothing new should come because of a new button which doesn't have much abuse potential afaik. Besides if someone wants to make a 50 screen long post full of quotes, they already can jsut copy/pasting a quote over and over.

It is like having a dishwasher vs. a sink and water in real life. You can already wash all the dishes just as good as the dishwasher can, but the dishwasher does it more efficiently so you don't have to spend all your time washing.

RuneScape Community already has this implemented. So far, they haven't reached any barriers.

RSC use Invision Power Board, not phpBB like TIF uses.

lSEHB.gif

Being immature is a part of being mature.

RSC use Invision Power Board, not phpBB like TIF uses.

I think killer meant that as in the user aspect. Different boards shouldn't be an obstacle when it comes to implementing a new feature. However how mods work does affect the user aspect, and comparing mods to RSC and TIF, you can easily tell there will be little to no hassles with users at Tip.It, since the mods will do a good job of moderating the feature if implemented.