Tip.It Times - 5th August 2012

tripsis

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

callingwriters.jpg

WRITE FOR THE TIMES - SUBMIT A GUEST ARTICLE:

Remember, YOU can write an article for the Tip.It Times! You can apply to write full time, or just submit a "one-off" guest article any time you want! Our editors will work with you to ensure that your article is ready for publication. All guest articles can be submitted to @tripsis or any other Editorial Panel member. For more information, including details on how to apply full time, read this forum thread: http://forum.tip.it/topic/209138-how-to-write-for-the-tipit-times/

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to tripsis by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in an article then please PM them to @tripsis. :)

Enjoy the articles!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Yet another brilliantly focussed and concise article from Jslayer999; a pertinent observation well put forward in a brief article.

• Like 1

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Although it wasnt very sucssesful optimus HAS been launched, the nuke you are looking forward to is named primed. as in they have to prime optimus.

"Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances."

Benjamin Franklin

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Albert Einstein

G%20I%20Jackass.png

G_I_Jackass.png

Never really thought about the fact that a 200m hunter bot (with the VERY conservative estimate of only having 200m hunter. Not going to go track one for a better guess but I'd guess some are 300-500m xp) has created 750k chins and around 500m in cash. Ridiculous how a bot can be run for 3000+ hours and not have been banned haha.

VJH7N9F.png

zuzmo.png 

From the information gathered from the quests that have come before, Bob (as Robert the Strong) is known to have vanquished the Dragonkin when they arose before. This individual then left specific instructions to the player in Kethsi.

Also, while investigating Kethsi, it is also discovered that the people who lived there had managed to unlock the secrets of bane ore, but were too late to save their civilization from collapse.

Given these two factors, it is assumed that at some point, you will team up with Robert to take down the Dragonkin in his time, which in turn gives you the tools you need to fight back in the present day.

8f14270694.jpg

From the information gathered from the quests that have come before, Bob (as Robert the Strong) is known to have vanquished the Dragonkin when they arose before. This individual then left specific instructions to the player in Kethsi.

Also, while investigating Kethsi, it is also discovered that the people who lived there had managed to unlock the secrets of bane ore, but were too late to save their civilization from collapse.

Given these two factors, it is assumed that at some point, you will team up with Robert to take down the Dragonkin in his time, which in turn gives you the tools you need to fight back in the present day.

If we can't kill them directly fear not Jagex will give us a way, i'm guessing a pillar :P

• Like 4

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

Although it wasnt very sucssesful optimus HAS been launched, the nuke you are looking forward to is named primed. as in they have to prime optimus.

Ahh yes you are right. I believe Optimus only took out a certain type of bot, or that's what was rumored around the HLF. My bad there.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Jslayer999's article on Balance of Power was good. I hope Jagex goes in a different direction with that storyline. Perhaps working the character into the dragonkin? A rival to the dragonkin? Maybe another direction in that the character may not be the source of the balance of power, but chooses who takes power? There would be some difficulty in that though considering such things can't affect the world of RS overall, just the quest line.

wessan.png

i have actually sent jaGex a email awhile back addressing this matter. i dident get a reply for some reason though. bots have literally taken over RS. and i do wish they would take back the game for their loyal costumers. because that is what most of us are, we pay for something and we want the most of what we pay for.

It seems that what Jagex have been doing to stop players from being affected by bots is just to create alternative training locations that bots cant visit or to allow us to get massive chunks of xp (in any skill we choose) from the SoF or penguins, Troll invastion etc. What this doesnt do however is solve the problem. A player can now get to 99 hunter without having to deal with the bots but then what do they have at the end of it?... they may have the xp but they dont have any money from selling what they have hunted. A player starting out in-game now hasnt a hope in hell of attaining the expensive endgame gear because they can't earn it themselves very easily anymore and because all the wealth seems to be hoarded by people who don't even want to play the game (gambling hosts).

As for Optimus, I just thought it was a platform that bot nukes could be launched from not a nuke in itself. Optimus is what replaced the old anti bot measure which caused all the lag and low framerates.

Edited by Kimberly
Merge double post

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

The staker I reported and had video evidence of rwting and ddosing has still not been banned, despite getting an email from jagex saying they would look into it.

I also know so many stakers who rwt, I always report them but NONE have ever been banned, not a single one despite them selling bils.

Only *ONE* high staker has ever been banned single free trade came out (Viet master), Jagex did not even get him for rwt, they banned him for account hijacking ( Using other peoples accounts to stake on).

Smokin mils is another disgrace, they are still an active clan despite selling gold directly on their website.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

I have been playing this game for 7 years. I remember before I started my new account (after losing my old one to a hacking) that I was easily making 30-40m a week. But now...I can barely make 5m a week...these bots are rediculous. I am doing slayer a lot...and at times it takes me.....4-5 hours to do a task that any normal person could do in 45 minutes. Here's an example. The other day I got a slayer task of 117 Hill Giants (I am only lv64 with 41 Slayer so I'm using Vannaka) and I went to do it...every world i tried and every spot was so loaded it was not funny...I 2 shot Hill Giants...so it should take me an hour Maximum...not a chance. 5 hours later and I still had 10 to go....it's frustrating. Only good side...was I made a good 13 prayer levels off the task. SO MANY BIG BONES!!

Jagex needs to do something about this. My dad gets Groutworms a lot. He has to go to a world where he can't understand crap...just to be able to do the task. The only other thing that isn't much better...is people advertising gold buying websites. I average around 800 pms about it a day......If Jagex doesn't do something soon....they won't have a game.

Master_Smither's article was a good one. Between that summary of the botting activity, all the gambling that's constantly going on at the Grand Exchange, and the crucible glitch that's caused untold billions of gold to enter the economy, I'm feeling pretty dismayed.

• Like 1

I have to wonder if Jagex is actually TRYING to fight the bots & cheaters. :cry:

Think about it...

They did a bot nuke killing a large number of the veteran bots then reinstigated a trade limit where new F2P bot accounts couldn't move their ill gained GP. What's that do? It causes the new bots that are created to have to pay for membership. Jagex then starts making more profit from the cheaters. With the SOF , Sals store , loyalty rewards & everything else they seem to be pushing to make money it's pretty obvious what they're doing, trying to squeeze every dollar they can out of the game. Allowing the botters & cheaters so long as they're paying for membership just helps Jagex bottom line at least in the short term.

Heck at this point I would no longer be suprised if they weren't actually behind some of the RWTing sites themselves. Who would know if they were?

Sorry but after years of having to fight Jagex's battles for them with little support from the company itself I'm begining to question whether they're actually even in the battle or if it's all for show.

lord_uathen.png

I have been playing this game for 7 years. I remember before I started my new account (after losing my old one to a hacking) that I was easily making 30-40m a week. But now...I can barely make 5m a week...these bots are rediculous. I am doing slayer a lot...and at times it takes me.....4-5 hours to do a task that any normal person could do in 45 minutes. Here's an example. The other day I got a slayer task of 117 Hill Giants (I am only lv64 with 41 Slayer so I'm using Vannaka) and I went to do it...every world i tried and every spot was so loaded it was not funny...I 2 shot Hill Giants...so it should take me an hour Maximum...not a chance. 5 hours later and I still had 10 to go....it's frustrating. Only good side...was I made a good 13 prayer levels off the task. SO MANY BIG BONES!!

Jagex needs to do something about this. My dad gets Groutworms a lot. He has to go to a world where he can't understand crap...just to be able to do the task. The only other thing that isn't much better...is people advertising gold buying websites. I average around 800 pms about it a day......If Jagex doesn't do something soon....they won't have a game.

Grotworms appear to be the new Green Dragons - Bots everywhere fighting for a worm. Now if only this was an extension to the wilderness & you could manage to kill a few of them........

the_lad_1.png

Grotworms appear to be the new Green Dragons - Bots everywhere fighting for a worm. Now if only this was an extension to the wilderness & you could manage to kill a few of them........

That's why Jagex created the grotworms. Too many botters were complaining about the real players pking them in the wilderness.

lord_uathen.png

The article Balance of Power had 3 major errors in it. The author said that Lucien "no concrete goals". Lucien did have a goal it was to become a god. Also he said about the Dragonkin " they abuse power only for power’s sake." Which is again not true. They killed Lucien becomes he was using the Stone of Jas because they are the guardians of the stone. They get enraged when unworthy people use the stone and that is why they kill those uses like Lucien and the Kethsians. So how good are the dragonkin? We don't know, and in fact we could team up with them to fight a greater evil. Also at the end of Nomad's Requim he escapes and says we (player) doomed the world. Is that true? Only future quests will say if it is or not. So get your facts straight before you make generalizations.

Addict_Kevan.png[/url]

hello all,

first,i agree with this,i would also like to add a few points,it's not all bots,there are a lot of players autoing now as well,making a mockery of the ranking system.

i have been noticing when an update comes out,while you are in the game,after the update watch the players online,for instance during one recent update there were 134k players,after the update it hovered around 60k to 70k for over an hour,it is possible therefore to assume approx half were bots,to give them benefit of the doubt that some were real players just didnt get back on rite away,lets say 40%.

.jagex is no longer a game,it is a corporation,their shareholders and profits are #1 on priorities list,they got bots off f2p into members,i don't think they will get rid of them,the continual parade of updates is not getting them new players,or at best it is costing as many as it gains,and they are not getting it.bugs and bots are not dealt with while the hew content is all profit oriented.

where is rs2?when this new combat beta is inflicted i will be doing 1 of two things,either i will only be a skiller or i will say goodbye to rs forever as many others have.the only way to play rs2 now is on private servers,it is sad,but these are the facts.

The article Balance of Power had 3 major errors in it. The author said that Lucien "no concrete goals". Lucien did have a goal it was to become a god. Also he said about the Dragonkin " they abuse power only for power’s sake." Which is again not true. They killed Lucien becomes he was using the Stone of Jas because they are the guardians of the stone. They get enraged when unworthy people use the stone and that is why they kill those uses like Lucien and the Kethsians. So how good are the dragonkin? We don't know, and in fact we could team up with them to fight a greater evil. Also at the end of Nomad's Requim he escapes and says we (player) doomed the world. Is that true? Only future quests will say if it is or not. So get your facts straight before you make generalizations.

Lucien's goal was to become a God yes, but the dragonkin kill for the sake of killing, they killed the temple knight on mos le'harmless, Iridia on the ritual site, and have attacked Edgeville post-Rotm. They say it's because the destruction subsides there rage at false users using the stone, but it's still a front for abusing power for power's sake. Maybe they're sophisticated storage containers for the stone's power, and using the stone causes the power they receive to increase until a point where the rage, i.e. the power they receive is too much for there bodies to handle.

Does raise a question though on how we'd defeat such an enemy, we already have teamed up with Majharrat, maybe an alliance with Nomad may be in the cards, or we can somehow 'mis-use' the stone so much it overloads the Kin's bodies, causing them to explode. And with Zaros' imminent return emphasized, maybe he'll play a part on stopping the Dragonkin destroying the world, seeing as he is supposedly unbound by the Edicts, being out of the plane of existence prior to God Wars & Guthix Edicts. We already know what he's capable of, he helped Azzandra hit Lucien for nearly 18k damage (this is pre EoC as well, imagine the hits after EoC) during ritual and that is why he's still not in our realm.

Edit: now I have more time to expand on Lucien, he's a more complex example of abusing power,in the way that he is truly the only antagonist to truly reach his goals, his first goal I believe was to get the power to either

a) survive the next ritual of rejuvenation

b)become powerful enough to not need to partake in it

Of the two A seems more likely, hence him going after the staff of Armadyl to give himself the edge over the other majharrat. this is based on my assumptions he was a relatively low tiered majharrat, after gaining the staff, he must have heard of the connection it had to the stone of Jas, and Zamorak's ascension from majharrat to godhood from wielding both (although he seemed to lack the knowledge that Zamorak only gained godhood after stabbing Zaros). The events of WGS is where i believe his change from goal seeker to abuser of power begins. When he acquires the Stone he believes he is a 'God' as he states in the dialogue from RotM, So upon gaining the stone in his mind he reached his goal of becoming a 'God' (his second goal after gaining the staff to survive the ritual). From then on his actions take the form of abusing power for power's sake, much like the dragonkin do.

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.