Tip.it Times Presents: "The Evolution of Ranged"

n_odie

Hi all!

This week's Tip.it Times article is "The Evolution of Ranged" by DarkDude98 .

Ranged is probably the skill which has evolved the most over the history of Runescape. The number of updates which the skill has undergone since the days of Runescape Classic...

>>>"The Evolution of Ranged"<<<

~odie

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally really enjoyed it! A second Ranged article in a row for all rangers out there should be a cool treat!

PS Technically you had the 2nd post... o.o

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

Lol, strawberries aren't the most cost effective food. They cost over 10gp per hp healed even at 30hp, while salmon and pike are cost 9.4 and 7.5 gp per hp respectively.

And right now it's mage that needs an update.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

I would say Mage is the combat skill that's received the most significant updates really, especially with three separate spell books and all the extra mage robes.

But magic hasn't been tweaked at all, it's stayed the same over the years. Sure it's had a few big additions but once they've been put into the game they haven't changed. Magic is definitely up there too, but I feel ranged has just had more significant changes.

I would say Mage is the combat skill that's received the most significant updates really, especially with three separate spell books and all the extra mage robes.

But magic hasn't been tweaked at all, it's stayed the same over the years. Sure it's had a few big additions but once they've been put into the game they haven't changed. Magic is definitely up there too, but I feel ranged has just had more significant changes.

They weren't tweaked because they weren't over/underpowered. I would say adding new things like the ancient/lunar spell books and even the addition of rcing add up to more than some of the minor tweaks you mentioned with crossbows and things.

They weren't tweaked because they weren't over/underpowered. I would say adding new things like the ancient/lunar spell books and even the addition of rcing add up to more than some of the minor tweaks you mentioned with crossbows and things.

Minor tweaks? The magic short bow nerf made range pking next to impossible due to having no ability to KO other people. The crossbow update has completely changed how range is done, people use crossbows all the time instead of magic short bow now and it's the "most" useful for bosses. The Ancient spellbook is pretty much useless outside of PvP (With the exception of rock lobsters pretty much). Lunars are very rarely used from my experience and it's really only one or two spells in it that are used.

The evolution of Ranged has had a much bigger effect on the game than that of magic.

he forgot to mention one other important update for rangers

for a while the f2p rangers only had access to oak bows and steel arrows plus dragonhide

then Jagex released willow and maple bows and arrows up to adamant for f2p to use

the day it came out, me and other rangers where everywhere slaughtering everything

i think i gained like 3 ranged levels in 1 day ( i was in the 50s at the time i think)

Diomedus.png

Diomedus.png

War is not about who's right, it's about who's left

You also missed another great factor in range's new updates, no other then the Dark Bow.

Few things I'm scared of in runescape, but a full void ranger with range skillcape and a Darkbow is one of them (and gs + full bandos, ahrims with ancients, etc). Even though they hit slow and 40-40s+ are rare, 20-20s arnt, and can easily be followed another 15-15 hit, and mid fight they can easily use another spec and just do a big K'O.

I am amazed that there is nothing that talks about Bone Bolts. With the release of infinite shop stock these bolts were bought by the millions seeing as they hit as hard as mith bolts (not quite as accurate) and cost only 4 gp each. The speed of the bone crossbow was the same as a mage short bow making these bolts 5-10k more exp per hour over the conventional training methods. I was able to do 80-97 range with these in a very short amount of time, at which time they finally nerfed it, taking away another good ranging method.

You also missed another great factor in range's new updates, no other then the Dark Bow.

Few things I'm scared of in runescape, but a full void ranger with range skillcape and a Darkbow is one of them (and gs + full bandos, ahrims with ancients, etc). Even though they hit slow and 40-40s+ are rare, 20-20s arnt, and can easily be followed another 15-15 hit, and mid fight they can easily use another spec and just do a big K'O.

Dark Bow in my opinion was another let down, it was better than a lot of things but for general use magic short bow was still better and unless you are willing to spend a lot of money on dragon arrows it's fairly useless for pvp too.

There were quite a few things I "missed" but that was because I felt the article was dragging on a bit, if I had included every small update I'd have been there forever lol. I could have also mentioned how slayer influenced the use of cannons and things use as that.

Maybe that'll be for a future article :)

Dark Bow in my opinion was another let down, it was better than a lot of things but for general use magic short bow was still better and unless you are willing to spend a lot of money on dragon arrows it's fairly useless for pvp too.

There were quite a few things I "missed" but that was because I felt the article was dragging on a bit, if I had included every small update I'd have been there forever lol. I could have also mentioned how slayer influenced the use of cannons and things use as that.

Yah well bone bolts weren't a "small update", they were the BEST training method for 6 months. That is nothing minor.

Yah well bone bolts weren't a "small update", they were the BEST training method for 6 months. That is nothing minor.

Well as I was 99 range at the time this occurred I never used them, I knew they were good for training but didn't know how good so what I would have been able to write on them would have been limited anyway.

Left out the dark bow and dragon items update :| Thought that would be worth noting.

Fact is, range is most effective for monster hunting, all the big monsters (especially Jad) are most often killed with crossbows.

I feel that the author is being very biased saying that range is a very underpowered skill and that melee/mage is clearly superior. Mage is obviously expensive, that new set of spells you were talking about? 1-2k for one spell, while rangers can pick up most of their ammunition (with help from ava's device as well) excluding the cannon. While range is able to rip through mage's armour, and d'hide armour is superb at deflecting and "splashing" magic attacks.

Range also has the highest attack speeds in RS2, I've seen many full runers in Bounty Hunter been taken down by a maple shortbow in F2P.

Summary: The tip was a very widely known fact, and the article killed about 3-5 minutes.

Can't say it was a good read though...

Sure ranged has seen a lot of updates. Another skill which IMO has gone through a lot of updates is Magic. With ancients and lunar and all other different stuff it has certainly to have had it's own evolution.

Keep the good work up with the skills evolution, Jagex. We all love to be able to do more and better things when we level up and get xp in the skills of Runescape :thumbsup:

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

85 range.

dbow4237.gif

I do not agree with that.

85 range.

dbow4237.gif

I said it's useless for general use (training) and that it's only good for PvP with dragon arrows ;)

NOTE: The Author would like to clarify that no Chinchompas were harmed in the writing of this article although several thousand greater demons were.

^ROFL

Good read! =D> =D>

2nv5bvl.png
99 Firemaking 30-5-2010 | 99 Fletching 13-7-2014
TET-AU member:6-10-2010 - 21-10-2011

85 range.

dbow4237.gif

I said it's useless for general use (training) and that it's only good for PvP with dragon arrows ;)

::' Sorry I misread that a bit, but I've hitted 25-25 with it(rune arrows, no spec), so it's still sort of good :)

Also if you are ranging with an msb and want to try to ko, wield the dark bow and fire two normal shots with it. Pretty much the same effect as a msb spec.