Tip.It Times Presents: Completing the Triangle

n_odie

Another Tip.It Times for you!

This week's article, Completing the Triangle by Ts_Stormrage, covers the skill Magic. Do you use it for skills or combat? Be sure to read the article for a balanced view of the skill.

Recently, a couple of articles have touched the skills of Range and Melee fighting, so I'd thought I'd complete the triangle by writing about the Magic skill. And while I have been playing since just before Desert Treasure came out, I will not go too far into the past...

>>>Completing the Triangle<<<

~odie

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The article seemed more like a research paper then an opinion piece to me. It was just a bunch of information about mage that I kinda already knew. But it was still a pretty good article.

EDIT - Signature far exceeds our sig limits but since it's so colourful you can keep it.

I believe that magic is a skill which is not a skill which you can realistically beat someone solo in.

i mean, you cannot hit faster than someone can eat sharks, even with ice barrage...

and in 20 seconds, they are out of being frozen.

so well... it really shouldnt even be a full sector in the combat triangle.

if we take it out, then out of melee and range, they are near even, but melee comes out ahead overall.

so melee makes sense, because it's weakness(magic) cannot kill it realistically, and it is strong against range.

if only they made it so magic could hit 40+...

and the average hit could be higher than what sharks could heal...

maybe they should expand the ancients spellbook like they did with lunars... maybe make some kind of spell that will boost the other spells like charge do to the god spells... maybe like a new kind of spell like something doin extra heavy damage but don't have any special abilities except that like the ice, blood, shadow and smoke have... might be possible to balance it better then...

Something that isn't considered much are shadow spells. Or ahrims. Because I do beleive the attack/strength lowering effect of it can stack...And when you have 50/90 attack or strength, it's alot harder to hit the mage with melee. Now, if ahrim staff could autocast it....Attack AND strength lowering...

Although mage does need something that can hit 40. If it could hit 40, then you could consistently hit at least 30, which is more then a shark can heal.

So it's maybe a little underpowered...only by itself. Ahrims + godsword works fine for killing. Range plus godsword doesn't work quite so well =p

I don't think we need another spellbook though. Theres already 3. Maybe a new spell or two to hit high damage.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

interesting article, somehow it never occured to me to try and have 2 tele rooms in my POH, that'll be nice.

Also, the PS made me laugh ;)

I actually have 3 Home Telly's in my house. 2 to cover all the normal ones... and 1 upstairs for the Ancients telly spot. (Cannifus) {Which makes using any of the 3 branches of magic more appealing, without the worry of odd telly spots.} I believe player-made homes are one of the least known assests for the typical runescaper. I hope they do an article on it soon.... or perhaps I should. :)

99 Fletch/Cook/Farm

{Started- 11/06}

My personal opinion, is that mage is fine as it is. It's only underpowerd in terms of what you wear, being incapeble of protecting you from melee hit's. Other than that, it's fine. It's not underpowerd when fighting, only in terms of defence. But we can't do anything with that.

Sir_Redhead.png

Gained first quest cape on 3/22/09! Gained 99 fishing 5/22/09!

I forgot when I got 99 cooking!

Proud member of Jovial Rovers

good read, magic still seems underpowered though, maybe a they need to make a fourth spellbook, something like a "godsword of magic" :)

Yay! first post!

really?! i mean, i always get frozen and majorly pwnd by ancients wen nothing else mage related pwns me. its sad really. But i do believe it is due for an update on f2p. but then again, what isn't?

Dpattle.png[hide=]

You think you got it bad?

My school blocks Neopets.Those dirty bastards try to keep me from feeding my Ixi. Ha!

[/hide]

Important Slayer Drops: masks-8, leafbladed sword, gmaul-3

Important treasure trail rewards: zammy page 1(3), rune kite g, zammy crozier, sara mitre, sara dhide, rune helm h1, guth page 4(2), zammy full helm, guth legs(3), sara chaps, guth page 3, zammy legs(2), and sara full helm, zammy pl8, zammy page 2, rune cane, sara page, sara crozier, zammy crozier, guth coif

When he says alching is not profit due to GE limits I wonder if he's talking about prices or items per 4 hours because they updated it so it's more far to alchers so it's not too hard to get stuff from ge in mass amounts.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

When he says alching is not profit due to GE limits I wonder if he's talking about prices or items per 4 hours because they updated it so it's more far to alchers so it's not too hard to get stuff from ge in mass amounts.

i think he was talking about how because of the price we are near forced to buy alchable things and alching runes at, we no longer make a profit from alching. it's rare to find an item to buy and buy the nature runes to alch it and still make a profit after. you always loose an amount of money per alch.

Dpattle.png[hide=]

You think you got it bad?

My school blocks Neopets.Those dirty bastards try to keep me from feeding my Ixi. Ha!

[/hide]

Important Slayer Drops: masks-8, leafbladed sword, gmaul-3

Important treasure trail rewards: zammy page 1(3), rune kite g, zammy crozier, sara mitre, sara dhide, rune helm h1, guth page 4(2), zammy full helm, guth legs(3), sara chaps, guth page 3, zammy legs(2), and sara full helm, zammy pl8, zammy page 2, rune cane, sara page, sara crozier, zammy crozier, guth coif