Tip.It Times: 18 Jan 2009

n_odie

Time for a new release of the:

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you have any questions on the new format, make sure to check out the announcement found here: A New Times: Features & Writers (Discussion)

Enjoy all the articles!

~Odie

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no ''did you know'' ? :o

Glad you asked! It is now on the Tip.It Times! link page. I might put it in the same spot in addition but the new format (this was added this week) allows for the DYK to be published on the Times "portal" like page. A new feature is that from now on all the DYK are going to be going in an Archives, link can be found at the bottom of the Tip.It Times link. ;)

Enjoy!

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

Why does everyone need to know at what age Jagex aims this game? It's about whether you like this game or not, not about whether it's meant for your age or not.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

Why does everyone need to know at what age Jagex aims this game? It's about whether you like this game or not, not about whether it's meant for your age or not.

I don't think it's so much that everyone needs to know, it's that they're curious about knowing. Jagex used to seem very overprotective about everything, now they decide to let profanity, albeit mild profanity, in the game.

I can agree that rangers need a new weapon, but to make it a dragon item? There I disagree. If you think the rangers are in need of an update, how about the miners? When is the last they got something decent? Sure they got the inferno adze, but that mines the same as a rune pickaxe. The miners deserve a dragon pickaxe in my opinion.

Started Runescape in August of 2001

Bighairyball.png

Bighairyball.png

Bighairyball.png

I think the sensor issue is a tough one. Obviously the parents child lied on the age.. or they are overprotective as children under 13 can only use quick chat (Correct me if i'm wrong).

I liked the dragon crossbow idea. Although guaranteed bolt spec.. Yeah thats a bit overpowered considering the dragon bolts (e). Also the spec on the ruby bolt (e) reduces 20% of the monsters CURRENT HP, not max. So 5 specs would knock its hp low, but not kill it.

As for the article on PvP it was decent and well wrote. But however this line struck me:

People now aren't allowed to complain, because going on a PvP world pretty much means you're willing to lose your stuff, doesn't it?

The same COULD have been said about the old wilderness. But does going onto a PvP world really mean this? I mean surely a lure wouldn't count.. right? No matter how many warnings you give someone they will still complain.. right?

They did in the old wilderness.

As for the parts about GWD on PvP... You didn't look at my vid did ya shade? ::'

The story was pretty interesting & it's got me hooked.

I liked the dragon crossbow idea. Although guaranteed bolt spec.. Yeah thats a bit overpowered considering the dragon bolts (e). Also the spec on the ruby bolt (e) reduces 20% of the monsters CURRENT HP, not max. So 5 specs would knock its hp low, but not kill it.

It'd kill about 2/3 of the monster. That every 6 minutes would be overpowered indeed.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

dragon crossbow- no. range already is overpowered as is. so is melee, so dont go there. how about force fields for magers and up a new class (healers) giving them more stuff. didnt care to read about range "needing" anything new.

chat censor- interesting read for the first few paragraphs then got into rambling. it would help to either have a stance or if wondering what they're up to; just say that, not go on and on about your not knowing.

didnt read the fiction 1.

edit: forgot about the clan 1. clans were given a lot this last year so i dont see any reason for anyone from a clan to have anything negative to say about rs. fairly well written article on a topic of reasonable user interest.

i find jagex wants to support clans because it's good for the game, but clans in rs lack a great deal; and what i mean by that is they could do with a lot of improving internally; and this is not something jagex can actually help them with; they need to help themselves; but i dont see that changing much; looking at the track record. it's easy to say jagex doesnt support clans but that isnt true. i think clans would rather blame jagex then take a look at themselves. but that's opening up a huge can of worms and much could be said about that.

have to say i wasnt expecting more articles to be an improvement, but all in all not bad. i like articles that make you think and some that cause a visceral reaction; so not too bad; tip it times is improving. but i still think your did you know's are lame. super duper lame and you need better researchers. and yeah i knew about the glory. i get the feeling whoever is receiving the correspondance for the did you know section is excluding all others besides their friends. so, it ends up being stupid week after week.

[hide=-this is my signature- guides i've written]full list is at the top of <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754">viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754</a><!-- l -->[/hide]

for the first article it was good but imo the stock should be made with magic logs and the string should be buyable..just a thought

for the second article good read never really had a problem doing wilderness clues tbh pkers just didnt seem to want to pk my amazing 3 items and my sextant watch and chart

the third article was pretty good but im rather dissapointed that the word butt wasnt mentiond cuz people who have ever had the random know that prison pete is a butt pirate

the fictional article is pretty cool just not my cup of tea so no comment

Rangers are already far stronger than meleers, ever fought a maxed range tank with dragon bolts(e) and morrigan javelins?

As for the did you know, I don't think your example is necessarily true. Like, isn't it more or less random?

maulmachine4.png

Corporeal Drops:2xHoly elixers

Bandos Drops: Bcp(soloed) 5x hilts 8x tassets

Armadyl Drops:Armadyl Hilt(trio)

Zamorak Drops: 2xZamorakian spear 3x Steam battlestaff

I found all the articles ('cept for the fiction, I might read that later I have bed soon) quite interesting.

I'm not sure if range really is overpowered or not but a range crossbow that's more obtainable for rangers would make sense. The special attack ideas are good too :)

I have to say I like PKing as it is now. I wasn't playing very much back in the 'old wildy' days and I have to say I didn't really know what I was doing (lol noob) when I walked into the Wilderness and got owned for the first time by a load of magers... despite the ditch and all. I think that keeping PK to worlds is definately a good thing.

And for the filters I'm not sure. I agree that perhaps removing light profanity words is a step towards a less 'kiddy gloved' game, but it isn't a very logical step *shrugs*

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Dragon crossbow: Entertaining idea, but I tend to agree with some of the posters that range is a bit overpowered, and they have the best balanced armor of any class. They also have a larger variety of high end weapons to choose from ever since they got their make-over a couple of years ago.

Censor: I'm actually in favor of completely removing the censor. I could say things like "Boy, I sure hope somebody kills Obama soon," or "All Mexicans are worthless" and they can be much more offensive than "Suck my [wagon]." Furthermore, everybody knew how to get around the censor if you wanted to give a friend your email address or direct them to an interesting website. There are a few individuals, be it a small child or an overgrown adolescent, who seem to entertain themselves with simple curse words. Jagex has suggested numerous times to place these individuals who are harassing or offensive on your ignore list.

But are Jagex's motives to cater to an older audience? There have been other updates that would seem to counter this theory. There are so many tutors and helpful NPCs to soften the entry of a new player into the game. Gravestones have significantly reduced the risk of dying. I agree with you. What is the mission statement?

Clans: I agree with the last statement. You know what you are risking by entering a PVP world. IMO this was how it should have been all along. Skillers aren't being lured into areas they'd rather not be in only to be ambushed by players at the Abyss or Mage Arena. PKers can fight others that are willing to fight back.

rssig2.png

The articles were ok but they seem to be becoming a bit to opinionated, or in some cases the people seem to act like no-it-alls, now not every writer is like this but particularity the person who wrote the article about swearing (sorry didn't catch your name) seems to be a little critical of jagex, they're working on how old they want the players to be so let them be (also i didn't catch the entire subject of the article? was it about the sensor? the parents? the players?)

Oh well that's all i have to say

As the saying goes: what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, i disagree i can think of plenty of injuries that won't make you stronger.

beer2.png

yup.... runescape is pretty stressful

December, 19, 2009 (12/19/09)- 99defense- first cape- cb level 117

but i still think your did you know's are lame. super duper lame and you need better researchers. and yeah i knew about the glory. i get the feeling whoever is receiving the correspondance for the did you know section is excluding all others besides their friends. so, it ends up being stupid week after week.

Has anyone else noticed that the "Did you know?" bits are always thanks to the Tal Shiar Alliance? Is there some kind of deal between them and the Times to supply these?

Kidd_Varrow.png

spacespider.png

but i still think your did you know's are lame. super duper lame and you need better researchers. and yeah i knew about the glory. i get the feeling whoever is receiving the correspondance for the did you know section is excluding all others besides their friends. so, it ends up being stupid week after week.

Has anyone else noticed that the "Did you know?" bits are always thanks to the Tal Shiar Alliance? Is there some kind of deal between them and the Times to supply these?

I think there might be since I'm sure every Tip.It Times I've read's DYK has been from the Tal Shiar Alliance :P

I've found some of these interesting but I'm sure I've heard this weeks somewhere else.

I suppose sometimes they can't be amazingly interesting *shrugs*

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I sort of hope that the dragon crossbow would be a 2h weapon, like a real crossbow. That or make it so you can alternate between 1 and 2-handed, 1 handed = wear a shield, 2 handed = better aim/damage/speed. (aim because you hold it steadier, damage because you can aim at weaker spots, speed because you can reload faster.)

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

Nope, Please send us some :-D heck, send me them if you don't want to PM the editor.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

I'll be totally honest, I liked only three of the four articles today. The story seems to be going along pretty nicely and always leaves you wondering what's next. I wouldn't say it's necessary, but I'm enjoying the weekly updates to find the next section. :-)

Curmudgeon and Ts_Stormrage I think both wrote pretty decent articles, perhaps not especially illuminating but at least they were well written.

As for the dragon crossbow I simply have to ask: Is it necessary? And in short I think I can conclude the answer to be no. Bolt enchantments already provide an incredible kill power for rangers that is almost unmatched except perhaps by the infamous godsword. And for pvp the dark bow special is a much feared strike. So where exactly does the dragon crossbow fit in to all of that? Does it need to give rangers yet another attacking boost? Personally I'd rather see jagex spending their time on different armours rather than weapons, or new areas which could introduce new aspects to the game on a broader spectrum than just: we love rangers...

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy range, I just can't see the point of a dragon crossbow.

Dragon crossbow: Entertaining idea, but I tend to agree with some of the posters that range is a bit overpowered, and they have the best balanced armor of any class. They also have a larger variety of high end weapons to choose from ever since they got their make-over a couple of years ago.

Censor: I'm actually in favor of completely removing the censor. I could say things like "Boy, I sure hope somebody kills Obama soon," or "All Mexicans are worthless" and they can be much more offensive than "Suck my [wagon]." Furthermore, everybody knew how to get around the censor if you wanted to give a friend your email address or direct them to an interesting website. There are a few individuals, be it a small child or an overgrown adolescent, who seem to entertain themselves with simple curse words. Jagex has suggested numerous times to place these individuals who are harassing or offensive on your ignore list.

But are Jagex's motives to cater to an older audience? There have been other updates that would seem to counter this theory. There are so many tutors and helpful NPCs to soften the entry of a new player into the game. Gravestones have significantly reduced the risk of dying. I agree with you. What is the mission statement?

Clans: I agree with the last statement. You know what you are risking by entering a PVP world. IMO this was how it should have been all along. Skillers aren't being lured into areas they'd rather not be in only to be ambushed by players at the Abyss or Mage Arena. PKers can fight others that are willing to fight back.

Would genuinely like to see you write an article for the times. I reckon it would be interesting and better thought out than many that seem to come through... There's the gauntlet, how do you fancy your chances?! :-) Liked your points there though, good rational thought. =D>

Nope, Please send us some :-D heck, send me them if you don't want to PM the editor.

The Tal Shiar Alliance (my clan) just happens to supply a bulkload of em and amazingly enough, very few other people do... It's getting harder to come up with new, interesting, and useful facts, so if we have to drop one of those criteria, it'll be the "new" part when submitting them :)

Believe it or not, my clan is in the process of setting up a whole research department for these, but competition keeps us on our toes as well :)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

I personally don't think we need a dragon crossbow...What I would like to see is a magic spell that can hit 50s. With 99 range or str and the right gear you can hit 50s, 60s, 70s....Max with mage is 30. Maybe put a spell on normal spellbook that hits 50 (at 99 mage if your worried about it being overpowered) with no other effects..

I like the swearing one though.I think the problem with jagex is that their audience is slowly shifting towards 13 and under, common opinion with most people I talk to is that as well; however, some of the content isn't suitable for 13 and under IMO (the slavery in MEP2 or the torment that the ghosts in summers end talk about? most people may not of paid that much attention, but they say the first 2 weeks of it was pure pain, they spent the entire time just screaming in pain....)

Anyways, as I was saying, jagex wants the game to be 13+ whereas there is a trend for younger and younger people to play it.

BTW I liked whoever said the comment about how the phrase "Someone should kill Obama" is much more offensive then suck my long bone =p

Offtopic: I'm thinking I may (try) writing an article sometime about how little attention gets payed to the attack style a monster is weak to.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I liked them all, except for the filter one. It just has a zybez rant box feel.

To all those saying range is overpowered...

I pked for an hour in a d bow and black d hide. My best spec, with 89 range, accurate style, and prayer, was an 18-5. I wasted four hours of pvp potential :wall:

Ok, with a better pker, sure, range is very powerful. I wouldn't really mind it if a new weapon came out that sucked in pvp, because they can win (somehow)

Range needs to be evened with melee in pvm though. Very, very badly. I hate that the only place my 90 range is more efficient than my 70 attack and 71 strength is mithril dragons.

First though, magic needs to be overhauled, made better in both pvm and pvp. That definitely should come first.

The clan was entertaining, but I didn't come away with anything from it. Mainly because clans just don't seem to be my thing.

The censor one, again, just seemed to feel like zybez's version of the times. It's entirely made up of rants. If I wanted to read a rant, I would go to a rant forum. But not the rsof, that's just funny.

And the fictional article? What can I say, I love those. <3:

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

I thought all of the articles were well writen. The stories are ok. I'm not much for them but they keep me entertained! :D I think range needs the dragon crossbow... but mining also needs the dragon pic axe. anyways... Good Job!!! I liked it! :thumbsup:

Battlerifel.png

Battlerifel.png

My Blog: http://forum.tip.it/...el#entry3250508

My Forum entry: QFC - 48-49-627-63687284