Tip.It Times: A reflection on the past five years

Eeeeediot

This week's Tip.It Times has been released. Feel free to discuss the article or post any comments. If you have any criticism, please make sure its constructive! :)

A reflection on the past five years

ForsakenMage

Five years ago, Jagex Ltd. created RuneScape. Five years ago everything was free. Five years ago, not a lot of people discovered this fascinating game with its simple yet quite detailed graphics and sounds. To think, this game is Java-based! Jagex truly had pushed Java...

Click HERE to read the rest of the article

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you, sir... or rather, your article, sir, has made my day. no, it made my week. this is what me and quite a few f2pers have been saying for the longest time! i couldnt have said it better if i was paid to do so.

great work!

I couldn't care less if he was Andrew Gower himself, I just don't like arrogant smegheads.
*in the voice of the comic book guy from the simpsons* best. quote. EVER! :thumbsup:

I thought it was gonna be someting about the history of RS over the past 5 years. But that was just one persons opinion on F2Pers and P2Pers.

Maybe you should change the name?

"If ignorance is bliss...then knock the smile off my face!"

Rage Against The Machine

Zack De La Rocha

runescape wasnt created 5 years ago. it existed back in 99 but im not sure if it even dated back in late 98. but i haev to say we've started to play around the same time though.

i've been told a few things about the now "Classic" of runescape. strength pots use to be purple and u could pretty much massacre anyone if they walked out of the main town. u could have been a lvl 20 picking off a lvl 3 lol. crazy!!! : ) (this im sure of because it came from the horses mouth, well technically not anyone that worked with runescape but several players which were around at that time) too bad that dont exist no more, then again it gives the low lvl peeps to train their stats up.

and when u joined runescape on the game page, yes on the game page where it says create new user, it was that simple back then, u got to pick what kinda player u wanted to be like warrior, magician and i dont remmeber the rest :P lol. and there was no tutorial either, which saves alot of hassle. i always chose mage cause it seemed fun hehe.

the wilderness back in those days was the most amazing thing, i always had a thing for going into lvl48 where the greaters lived, something just intrigues me to go there, maybe it use to be a challenge for me to go that far. and the saphire in the spider house always amused me, it was a must get hehe. and thats also the place where i found my christmas cracker on the christmas of 01, then i got scammed lol. what a bumma! along with my pumpkin and easter egg. used to be a rumour that easter egg heals 40hp, but some say 12, i dont know but nobody would try these days lol.

and the chat filter back in the early stages was so appaling which was a must exploit thing for me lol. u could have swore by just putting a space inbetween one of your letters : ). oh yeah, and the best thing was rune long those days, i got my first for bout 15k and some nats and chaos, i couldnt hold it yet but i knew it would have been great.

then rune sq came out and everyone was like :0. then followed by battle axe, kite and r2h. the first lot of r2h's and battle axe went for more than 1mill, too much for me back in those days. but it was awesome, a break through for all runescapians. dam, bluerose13x must of profited heaps from that, sitting back counting all the dough she's made in a few clicks of the mouse, not in any way taking her hard work and all for granted.

and back then u couldnt see what the other person's combat level was, so u could be talking to a lvl 3 or a lvl 80.

oh and the major flaw of runescape back when it came out was that pking was impossible, u could log out during in combat : ). i have to admit i did that once when i was fighting a wizard in the wiz tower lol. that was bloody awesome.

oh yeah and the disk of returning, i always wondered what happens if u went down the hole and drop ur disk of returning? would u be stuffed forever? lol, i never dared to try that.

theres probably a ton of things that i've probably forgotten so yeah, thats my memories of runescape : ) the now classic anyways. oh wait and the trade system, i think only use to be able to fit 12 items? or was it 16? and there wasnt a second confirmation box. and then in 02 a new trade screen came onboard with one flaw! one very important one, it had a second confirmation screen and for those of us who had 56k modem and it lags a lil when getting on to the second trade box, we can press accept providing that the other person was the first to accept and waiting for ur response. well anyways when u click accpet it lags a lil b4 getting on to the confirmation screen and u can click on what u offered to take it off and then quickly accept the confirmation screen hoping the other person didnt see that u've taken your item off. cheeky eh?

well thanx for listening to this long post of self reflection : ) or much rather my reflections of runescape in the 5 yrs (almost)

*snip*

Learn to use line spaces please! I can't even be bothered reading any more than 2 or 3 lines...

When I see "it existed back in 99 but im not sure if it even dated back in late 98." I just think OH NO! NOT ANOTHER IDIOT!

It has been said several times, hell I'd say way over a hundred. The earliest date that RuneScape was seen by the public eye was in Late 2000 to early 2001. I had this same argument with some guy on RS the other week. It was in beta before being released mid January to February. I don't know for sure but I've seen so many people that played back then post about it.

So please don't say the game is more than 5 years old.

Edit: I just quickly skimmed over the rest, holy crap dude you're so inconsistent. You go from being able to pk anywhere to going to level 48 wilderness and then state that you had a rune long you couldn't use?

I for one was playing RS when they added level restrictions. I was way below the required level 40 attack for rune weapons but I had saved up the 32k to buy it from the Champions Guild. Mining coal was such a good way of making money back then. On that little note, was I so annoyed when they put Adamantite plate down from 40k to 16k. :x

"u could have been a lvl 20 picking off a lvl 3 lol. crazy!!! : )" - I believe I read from older posts that the requirements for pking were set 4 combat below and 4 combat above. Basically it was like level 4 wilderness all over RS. I may be completely wrong but I'd rather hear from someone that doesn't have 1 post and has a name I recognise from that time period.

Types of character were something along the lines of Warrior, Mage, Ranger, Miner, Adventurer. All had their basic skills up to a maximum of 7 (or 9 I can't remember). Example: Miners had 7 (or 9) mining.

"and back then u couldnt see what the other person's combat level was, so u could be talking to a lvl 3 or a lvl 80" - I loved that! Couldn't beat making some bronze armour and wondering about in lumbridge. :)

dwmafianw7.jpg

Notoriously Trollish.

lol, sorry for being lazy, but no your wrong, it has been around for more than 5 yrs, i started in bout june july 2001? im not sure when but some where around there and it was released a bit b4 that, that im sure of. well i'll go and edit the post b4, thanx for the advice

http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?times=22

As the previous article established:

Yup thatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s right; the game of Runescape was officially released in January 2001 which makes it five years to the month now!

So please don't argue. That date has been confirmed by the co-owner of this site, Lightning, who was amongst the first handful of players :)

http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?times=22

As the previous article established:

Yup thatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s right; the game of Runescape was officially released in January 2001 which makes it five years to the month now!

So please don't argue. That date has been confirmed by the co-owner of this site, Lightning, who was amongst the first handful of players :)

Not exactly real proof, but hell it'll do. All hail the mighty Lightning. 8)

OK I'll stop spamming this up now, sorry for hi-jacking.

Nice article from Magey, who I still think should fork out $5 a month for P2P. :P

dwmafianw7.jpg

Notoriously Trollish.

well i've broken them into paragrahs i suppose but they are just points i guess that i remmeber bout runescape. and na i dont believe they could of made all the other towns in a span of 5 months. i personally will always believe it started b4 that because thats what other players have told me, just like u i wasnt there back in those days and its been passed on to me by older players. unless jagex says so otherwise : )

If that doesn't shut up whinning p2p'ers and the f2p'ers than nothing well. That was incredibly well thought out and one of the best tip.it times yet! I agree with every word you wrote. :D

excellent article. Best one i've read so far on this site. Anyways, no free player has yet maxed out all the free skills, if a free member were to do that, it'd be awsome, not to mention sad. In fact, I think only zezima (getalife) has maxed out all the free skills.

jzk1lx2dy.gif

VERY nice article Magey :D

As for the ones of you who argue about what happened then, there are archives out on the net. Here are a few:

Tip.it's old news, contains a mix of tip.it website news and official news:

http://www.tip.it/rsc/oldnews.htm

http://www.tip.it/cgi-bin/np/viewnews.cgi?newsall

Official news collected by XXCavalierXX

http://cav.50megs.com/archive1.htm

http://cav.50megs.com/archive2.htm

http://cav.50megs.com/archive3.htm

Start reading at the bottom of the pages and go up to read in cronological order.

Please think before you ask a question. If you ask the right question, its much more likely you get the answer you are looking for :)

Gugge.png

Moly.png

You'all should appreciate that someone has taken the time to reflect and write something... Great Work Dude!

:twisted: YoUr UnDeR ArReSt AnYtHiNg YoU SaY WiLl Be MiSqUoTeD AnD UsEd AgAiNsT YoU :twisted:

Pawan.png

Nice article Magey :)

excellent article. Best one i've read so far on this site. Anyways, no free player has yet maxed out all the free skills, if a free member were to do that, it'd be awsome, not to mention sad. In fact, I think only zezima (getalife) has maxed out all the free skills.

Mendark 9 is quite close to all 99s on f2p:

Overall 1,465 | Attack 99 | Defence 99 | Strength 99 | Hitpoints 99 | Ranged 99 | Prayer 80 | Magic 99 | Cooking 99 | Woodcutting 99 | Fishing 99 | Firemaking 99 | Crafting 99 | Smithing 99 | Mining 99 | Runecrafting 92 |

Signiture1-1.gif

99 Magic, 99 Defence, 99 Strength, 99 Attack, 99 Hitpoints, 99 Fletching, 99 Woodcutting, 99 Firemaking, 99 Thieving, 99 Ranged, 99 Prayer, 99 Cooking, 99 Fishing

Who says he doesn't have a life, you know him in person? I doubt so, so just back off :x

---

I kinda liked the artcile, but it hasn't change my opinion about F2P.

Not all F2P are like she is , alot of them ARE a bunch of scamming, begging, ... little kidz.

Alot, not all

I also have F2P friends.

10y3vig.png

proudtitan.png

[Nice article from Magey, who I still think should fork out $5 a month for P2P. :P

*looks at Chris' sig*

Who knows what she'll get up to in P2P? :lol:

Mm, quite a lot of mischief I believe. :P (And yes, I did say it was okay for him to use that quote lol. Let's just say I was a bit up in the air from too much coffee [i've only had three cups in my entire life, two from the past week lol, the third from when I was a sophomore in high school].)

Thank you all for the comments and criticism! I had to research a little on the dates and dig through update news articles... :oops:

F2P FTW! :)

Very nice article, Mage. Being a fellow f2p, I agree with a lot of what you said, especially the part that p2p has simply too much to do. The reason I liked Classic so much was that it was a simpler experience; you could do just about everything with minimal fuss. Now that that's basically closed down, the closest we've got to a similar experience is f2p. I mean, if I want to pay for a complex experience, I'll go get WoW or EQ or something worth paying for.

I suppose I shouldn't complain too much about the complexities of p2p; without p2p, f2p would be getting all these confusing and complicated updates, which would ruin the experience for me and people like me who prefer the simpler aspects of RS.

--Darg--

cube347.jpg

Part of the Star Traks network. (^^Clicky!)

Irony: An amnesiac rediscovering they have an eidetic memory.

Very nice article, Mage. Being a fellow f2p, I agree with a lot of what you said, especially the part that p2p has simply too much to do. The reason I liked Classic so much was that it was a simpler experience; you could do just about everything with minimal fuss. Now that that's basically closed down, the closest we've got to a similar experience is f2p. I mean, if I want to pay for a complex experience, I'll go get WoW or EQ or something worth paying for.

I suppose I shouldn't complain too much about the complexities of p2p; without p2p, f2p would be getting all these confusing and complicated updates, which would ruin the experience for me and people like me who prefer the simpler aspects of RS.

--Darg--

I agree, I just quit P2P it's like been there done some, I find runescape a little to time consuming to get anywhere(skill wise). I prefer to spend that 5$ on a game I can play without all of the click this now click that and repeat and so on and so on. Sorry but just my humble opinion,

This isnt true.... Runescape has been out for over 8 years....
:roll:

nice work mage, one of the most relevant articles ive read so far. im f2p, i hav to agree with pretty much everything u said. hopefully it should bring an end to all the f2p vs p2p topics/discussions/rants.

Stallion4589.png

This is one of my favorite articles to date, since i can relate to the author. I've been playing since roughly november '01, and up till october '05 i was still f2p and had never been p2p. i remember the days of loathing p2p's for all the extra features they had, and the fact that f2p hadn't gotten any new skills or quests since Runescape 3D came out. Sadly now, i can't go back. I can't give up my rock-shell, or my berseker helmet, or that dragon scimmy, or the obby shield and cape... make that all the cool stuff. i do have to agree that the number of updates i'm getting as a p2p'er is getting a little overwhelming, since i've only just gotten the hang of leveling my member skills. (I finally have 55 slayer, and im having fun doing barrows) That's just my 2 cents...

Forsakenmage, your article is the best amoung many many "tip.it times'" articles that i have read. although i confess that i succumbed to the lure of, above all else, those seemingly endless quests, and am now a p2per, i can truly appreciate what you said. people think now that only members are "serouis" players, and non members are noobs, regardless of their levels. this saddens me. but now i fear that i never will be able to go back to "free play" how could i lose all those bank spaces, those precious "member objects" that i will never be able to use, no i am trapped, seduced, by the membership. But you were right, and i'm ashame

p.s. what u said about too many updates is undeniable, my head is swimming with all the new things to do and playing runescape has started to give me headache.