Everything posted by Intriguing
-
"Time Travel"
You can't travel faster than the speed of light. However, if you want to know what happens if you're traveling very close to the speed of light and you turn on a torch, I attempted to explain that three posts above you.
-
CLEAN Funny Picture Thread ~new rules, read first post~
Hey, it made me laugh.
-
Ordered and received. CD's and DVD's.
Good choice. That is an absolutely fantastic album. :)
-
"Time Travel"
Imagine that there is a spaceship traveling at a constant velocity of 0.9999...c through a vacuum, and stationary observer watching the spaceship. At the tip of this spaceship is an astronaut holding a torch. When the astronaut turns on the torch, what happens to the light given off? What happens to the light differs depending on which observer you are--let's start with the stationary observer. Given that the spaceship is practically traveling at the speed of light, and that light cannot exceed 3 x 10^8 m/s, the stationary observer sees the light given off from the torch traveling at the same speed as the spaceship. However, what the astronaut observes is different. The astronaut observes the light from the torch moving out from the spaceship at 1c, relative to the velocity of the spaceship. One would think that this would mean that from the perspective of the astronaut, the light coming off from the torch is traveling at 1.9999...c, but it's not. For this to make sense, I'll use another analogy. Imagine you are in a car traveling on a perfectly smooth road, with the windows covered up to the extent that no light is being let in, and you have earplugs on so that you can not hear sound coming from outside the car. In other words, your senses are completely limited to what is happening in the car. The car is traveling at a constant velocity. In other words, the car is not accelerating in any direction. If you were in this car, you would not know if you were traveling 5 m/s, 5000 m/s, or if you were not even moving. If you are traveling at a constant velocity, you need to have outside reference points (things moving at a different velocity to you) to know how fast you're going. This is the basis of Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity. The spaceship, and therefore the astronaut, are traveling at a constant velocity, and so is the source of the light (the torch). From the perspective of the astronaut, who in relation to the stationary observer is traveling at 0.999...c, the light is traveling at 1c. Our logic would tell us that this is incorrect as a ray of light can not be traveling at two different velocities at the same time. According to Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity, the astronaut flashing the torch from his frame of reference, and the astronaut flashing to torch from the stationary observer's frame of reference are not the same events--they are simultaneous events. The basis of Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity is that things are relative, in that they are not absolute, but dependent on the observer. I apologize if I didn't so a good job of explaining it. It's sort of tricky to get your mind around, but it makes sense once you get it.
-
Ordered and received. CD's and DVD's.
Fifty-five freaking follars... dollars. Someone gave me a thirty dollar gift voucher for Sanity for my birthday, unaware that I'm more of an illegal downloader... So I thought I'd use it to complete my Scrubs collection until the seventh season comes out on DVD. Haven't actually gotten it yet. They're taking their sweet time getting it in.
-
"Time Travel"
Theoretically it is possible to use wormholes for time travel and what not. However, as of yet no wormholes have been observed, and I am under the impression that there are some additional problems that would ensue even if one were to stumble upon a wormhole. The point is that until we are actually able to observe wormholes, they have no practical application.
-
"Time Travel"
To cadburys_egg: Sort of, it's called time dilation. Say a spaceship were built that could travel at 0.99c. An astronaut travels to a location one light year away from earth at a constant velocity, and when he reaches the location, he immediately turns back to Earth, traveling at a constant velocity. When he returns back to Earth, he has traveled two light years (1.8922 x 10^16 m). If he is traveling at 0.99c (2.97 x 10^8 m/s) the entire time, ignoring the time it takes to turn around, it should take him approximately 737 days (6.37 x 10^7 seconds). We can use the time dilation equation to see how much time he has taken from the perspective of a stationary observer, e.g. people on the Earth. t = t' / root(1 - v^2 / c^2)** Where: t - Time taken from the perspective of the people on the Earth. t' - Time taken from the perspective of the astronaut. v - Velocity of the spaceship. c - The speed of light. t = [6.37 x 10^7 seconds] / root(1 - [2.97 x 10^8 m/s]^2 / [3.0 x 10^8 m/s]^2)** t = 4.5 x 10^8 seconds = 5,226 days So from the perspective of the people on Earth, fourteen years have passed, and yet he has only aged two years. I apologize if I used the formula incorrectly. If I have, I'm more than happy to be corrected. **I don't know how to indicate the "root of a number" symbol on the keyboard..
-
"Time Travel"
Certainly. However, all (or at least most) evidential evidence backs up the idea that nothing with mass can travels faster than the speed of light.** Until evidence is presented showing matter actually traveling faster than the speed of light, the OP's "theory" has no relevance. **For example, electrons being energized to the extent that theoretically they should be travelling faster than the speed of light, c, but their velocity never goes above 0.9999... c.
-
Clearing up the latest website problems.
I haven't even noticed slow loading times, so you must be doing something right. Keep up the good work. :)
-
"Time Travel"
There's your problem right there, assuming you mean "faster than the speed of light". According to Einsteins Theory of Special Relativity, as well as experimental evidence, matter can not travel faster than the speed of light, 3 x 10^8 ms^-1. I can see the logic behind the theory, but it's not exactly achievable in reality.
-
Recommend an artist/band to the poster above you
At How2PK, great suggestion. I've listened to Lie Down in the Light once already, and just started my second listen through as I wasn't paying as much attention to it as I should have been. I'm really quite impressed in that I love his voice, and surprised in that this is the first country album I've ever really enjoyed. :) As for you Dragoonson, you should try out Ion Dissonance. Pretty good Mathcore band from Montreal. In my opinion, Breathing is Irrelevant is their best album. However, other fans would probably cite Minus the Herd as their best. I think the thing that drew me to the band in the first place was just the pure chaos of their music, which I think they lost a bit of after Gabriel McCaughry (the vocalist on Breathing is Irrelevant and Solace) left the band, and was replaced by Kevin McCaughry (the vocalist on Minus the Herd). However, other people probably prefer their later album as it's a bit heavier. Anyway, check them out.
-
TIF Celebrity Look-A-Likes!
Jaziek, you're a lot.. manlier.. than your avatar always leads me to believe.
-
TIF Celebrity Look-A-Likes!
People used to think I looked like Harry Potter.. Probably had something to do with the glasses and the bowl cut.
-
What are you listening to right now!?
Radiohead - Amnesiac (Album) Wow. Just... wow. This is such an incredible album.
-
Guilty Pleasures
I don't care how gay it makes me, I love Hurt by Christina Aguilera. Honestly, listen to that and tell me she doesn't have a magnificent voice.
-
Yahoo List off "heavy" "metal"
^crawl in a hole and die, along with all the lame [wagon] Nu-Metal bands. +1 If you're going to bump a thread over a week old, it's sort of forum etiquette to add more to the conversation than "+1". Good try though.
-
Talented Tip.iters!!!
I'm a pretty good violinist. I did my 8th grade exam 3 years ago, when I was 14. I'll be doing my AMUS next year.
-
What are you listening to right now!?
Regina Spektor - Begin to Hope (Album) A few crap songs, but then there's some amazing ones to make up for it. I try not to listen to songs by themselves, instead listening to the entire album. However, I can't help but listen to Samson away from the album.. Such an incredible song.
-
Recommend an artist/band to the poster above you
Save that crap for the real life pictures thread.. And at Cyco, thanks for the recommendation man. I've never even heard of Stoner Metal (or is it something like Sludge?), so I'll definitely check them out. As for RpgGamer, I really don't know what you like. However, as someone else said, this thread is becoming overloaded with Metal, so I'll recommend you Madvillain. Really amazing Hip-Hop, with MF Doom as the MC and Madlib as producer. Madvillainy is easily my favourite Hip-Hop album of all time. Even if you don't like Hip-Hop, I'd seriously recommend checking them out. Even my brother, who is steadfast Indie fan and doesn't like any other Hip-Hop likes these guys.
-
Recommend an artist/band to the poster above you
. Best two albums are Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? and The Sunlandic Twins. Other bands you could check out that I won't give a link to are The Arcade Fire, Band of Horses, Clinic, and Thee More Shallows.
-
Recommend an artist/band to the poster above you
This is for blushenka, but also teh_langzor, as blu didn't recommend anything to him. Firstly, you should listen to . A really good Math Rock band that uses obscure melodies, schizophrenic drum beats, and insane time signatures, and is just... awesome. Hold Your Horse Is is probably their best. Also check out . Shostakovich was a 20th Century Russian composer. He has a huge amount of works, but his string quartets, of which there are 16, are my favourites. Check out his 3rd and 8th String Quartets.
-
What are you listening to right now!?
Good choice, I love that song. It's funny that the first time I ever heard it was in season 2 of Scrubs.. Elliott Smith - Either/Or (Album)
-
Guilty Pleasures
Haha, I love kids shows. Not so much the animated ones, although some like Fairly Odd Parents and Angry Beavers are awesome.. I used to be a huge fan of Lizzie McGuire.
-
Nü Metal
Hahaha. :lol:
-
Guilty Pleasures
I'm honestly not ashamed of any of the music/television/movies I like. Justin Timberlake is awesome.