Everything posted by l0rd
-
Stuff you could NEVER get into
Same can be said for everything on television nowadays. There are no suprises anywhere. There are a lot of surprises! Just not as many as there needs to be. [hide=][/hide] The internet is full of surprises. :mrgreen:
-
Conversations
I agree with the character who thinks that RS is not "real". "Real life" is called so for a reason, it is our standard for what is real and what is not. The very arguments the anti-RL character was using, such as that we have to worry about what others think and such is what makes it all the more real; we are accountable for our actions, and don't have a username as a sense of anonymity to mask ourselves with. I won't even give an opinion on the money aspect of the conversation, as I'm still on the fence for the importance of money in my life. But I will say that I do think it is an oxymoron to work, to make money, to be happy, given that you do not enjoy working and do not have some monetary obligation towards your family (or some mafia thug).
-
Google Wave
Looks pretty cool, I just signed up in advance. The character-by-character public-visibility seems kind of intrusive but I'm sure I'd get used to it.
-
Bikes
Well a Specialized Rock Hopper, the bike he mentioned in the original post, is a mountain bike, so I assume he means bicycles of any kind. But if you got some Harley pics you want to share with us... 8-) That'd be cool too. :thumbup:
-
Stuff you could NEVER get into
Really? You exclude a belief from possibility based on who is following it (or not following it)? Not believing in something because it'll make you "look bad" is just as bad as being an atheist to look "cool" and non-conforming.
-
Bikes
That's a very pretty place : Yeah, I love living in the mountains. I have lived in similar mountains in two totally different locations my whole life (Oregon and Western North Carolina, where I am now) And on topic, my bikes: [hide=Haro][/hide] [hide=Univega][/hide] except mine are a more used looking :-#
-
Bikes
Yup, I go mountain biking every week in and around these: [hide=][/hide]
-
Things that you LOVE
Pad Thai is [bleep] amazing. Tum Yum and any hearty Thai soup with coconut milk owns. also: jaerkd00d quote fail
-
Disgusting thing found in North Carolina Sewer!
I'm wondering why this hasn't been locked yet. To me, this has about as much factual discussion worth as the "Rick Astley is Dead" thread.
-
Song Name Chain------~OVER 500 SONGS LISTED~------
The Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth by Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
-
Disgusting thing found in North Carolina Sewer!
Really? With your obvious fluency in colloquial and textual English, you couldn't deduce that what = "wat"? Of course you could, you just had to find some way of voicing the typo in a derogatory way. The reason I'm bringing this up is because I recall a few other circumstances of the same thing with you. Its not even being a grammar-Nazi, it is being a jerk. On topic: I hear it could also be a colony of bryozoa organisms. Also, I lurked on a couple "Aliens are Real" forums and facepalm'd thoroughly. :-#
-
Disgusting thing found in North Carolina Sewer!
It has already been confirmed to be a Tubifex worm. Shoo-shoo conspirators.
-
Hold Your Breath and Press x - use hide tags
Wow, this thread is still on the first page :shock:. Haven't adventured into this sugar-soaked board in a while. On topic: [hide=]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[/hide]
-
death and beyond
The difficulty of replicating something with technology isn't at all dependent on the product or importance of the thing you are trying to replicate, that is completely irrelevant. If you are trying to replicate a piece of gum that also tells your future when chewing it, and it still has the physical complexity equivalent to a normal piece of gum, it will be no harder to replicate than a piece of Double-Bubble.
-
Slight Moral Dilemma (help) ~ Closed (lock)
Just tell your friend to sell it?
-
Happy Canada Day TIF
- death and beyond
Huh? What are you talking about? Rofl, woops. :wall: Meant to say "between apes and humans." Oh, and after re-reading it, I seemed to come off a little condescending. I was just trying to acknowledge that I agree with what you said, but I don't find it very significant given the amount of other differences.- death and beyond
Please note "the way we can today" in my post. Any simple talking to someone isn't a way to pass on complex knowledge and invention, you'll need paper and writing (all stuff that has been invented). How can you possibly say that when the time comes when we can recreate an ape's mind, we'll be much less technologically advanced than when we recreate a humans mind? No, the two types of brains' products (thinking, consciousness, verbal, etc.) aren't different enough to warrant a huge gap in technology. Just because we've come a long way in technology, doesn't mean that our brain itself is even twice as complicated as an apes. When brain activity in a ape is captured, the human brain is similar enough to be not far off. And now I see you agree with me. Bravo, one of the many differences between chimps and apes. =D>- death and beyond
That ability to pass on information in the way we can today is only available to us by means of cumulative technological advancement, so using it as an argument is kind of a useless. Start looking at the actual intellect of the creature for your opinion. Anyways, I never said I doubted the obvious: that humans are much smarter than apes. I said that they are no where near extremely, or as you said it, infinitely different in intellect. Of course humans have these abilities, but apes still make decisions, reason, and build things, just on a much simpler level. There isn't much of a difference in the spectrum of life-form, and definitely not as big of a difference as you make it out to be. Oh, and numbers don't lie :shame: . If you had understood my point in the rest of my paragraph your question might have been answered. I say our technology is not a measure, but a product of our intelligence. If you were to use it as a measure, you would say that people in the 1970's with the same mental capacity as we have today, would not be as smart because their technology wasn't up-to-par with ours today just because the personal computer and other things hadn't been invented yet. This is why it is illogical to be called a measure.- What would you do? (aka my life sucks)
He is literally not able to run executable files because of his security programs. I just thought of something you could do: buy a nice hard drive for like 100 bucks and install a different OS on it, drivers, etc., then just utilize it whenever you're on that computer. It would be cheaper than a new computer, and you would still have your old hardware. If your parents are worried about you infecting their computer, then tell them this plan and say that you will be unable to infect their hard drive while on yours.- Stuff you could NEVER get into
First off, in its bare definition, atheism is not a religion or a theology, an atheist can be simply one who leads a life not believing in, or thinking about the extra variable of god. It is the human default. I believe there are more atheists than you think. Sure, only around 2% of the world are self-proclaimed atheists, but think of all the people that lead godless lives, and don't even consider worshiping an invisible deity. The atheist population is greater than you would think. As for pseudo-atheism, this kind of conforming-to-atheism-to-not-conform-to-religion way of thinking is about as superficial and laughable as Hot Topic cults. But what do you suggest that these people do? After conquering one's teenage wanna-be'ism, are you suggesting that someone should look into religion? I myself suggest they start in the most impartial way: start back to the default, become a blank-slate atheist as mentioned above, then work from there.- Real life pictures - 3
Yeah, yeah you didn't draw me a picture. Personal reasons blah blah blah ! It felt weird etcetera WELL, I'M BEAUTIFUL TOO. It's ok Wongtong, I'll forget this someday. I'll draw you a picture :mrgreen: , wouldn't be the first time I've done it for someone on TIF.- death and beyond
That's actually not what Reb was trying to say at all. Anyways, humans are about 99.4% equal to chimpanzees in our genes (and very close to all other mammals), no where near infinite. But look at that huge difference in that .06%. I'm well aware of the genetic differences but the human mind is capable of so much more. I'm really not quite sure about the "huge difference" you speak of. Sure, we have self-awareness and the ability to create technology, but the intelligence of a ape vs. a human isn't extremely different, let alone infinitely different. Don't just assume your argument when you look at civilization and the technology of the world, that does not measure our intelligence, it is merely a product of it. As our technology gets more advanced, it doesn't mean that we as humans are physically getting smarter, that is not how cumulative technological advancement works. Next time you assert a fact, would you care to elaborate on it a bit?- What would you do? (aka my life sucks)
That's the thing, he said he is not allowed to run executable files.- death and beyond
That's actually not what Reb was trying to say at all. Anyways, humans are about 99.4% equal to chimpanzees in our genes (and very close to all other mammals), no where near infinite. - death and beyond
Important Information
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.