Why has pest control ruined Runescape?

n64jive

Runescape is a game, like most other MMORPG's, has changed over the years. A big addition to these changes is a mini-game known as Pest control, or Abbreviated PC.

The main reason that PC is thought to have ruined the game is due to the fact that it has now become much easier to level pest control. Many beleive that this has ruined runescape, mostly the beleif of those who were higher level before the update.

Now why does having more high level characters ruin pest control. If anything, it increases the ammount of high level characters making the wild more fun or making killing boss monsters more fun. I see no reason why having an update that makes the game easier is unfair. Sure, maybe a little bit to the people who leveled before the update. But the game changes, and now the high level people have more high levels to hang out with.

Who cares if the new higher levels are not as educated within the game...that is a bigger advantage to the people who do know much about the game, because when a new update does come out, you will better know how to use it to best of your advantage.

I want to know others thoughts.

w4M8t.png

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People feel that the levels are too easy and makes for higher level players which generally are less educated on the game and tend to be more immature.

jfacsig01ti4.jpg

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

But the game changes, and now the high level people have more high levels to hang out with.

Who cares if the new higher levels are not as educated within the game...that is a bigger advantage to the people who do know much about the game, because when a new update does come out, you will better know how to use it to best of your advantage.

First of all, most PC high levels that I have talked to aren't typically the people that I'd want to hang out with or talk to much longer than thirty seconds ingame. I don't know how else to put it, but some of them are quite arrogant about their levels. I can't find it right this moment, but a friend of mine took a picture of just how arrogant higher levels are. If I find it I'll edit it in.

Not going to say that this is directly tied into PC, but if you think about it, those that have been here for more than 2 years simply know better than to say "I PWN J00 AND U CNT DU NUFFIN ABUT IT".

How do you see knowledge of RuneScape as an advantage? Information about RuneScape is made freely and publicly available, 24/7. I don't quite see it as an advantage since most people would ask the question of "Where did you get that cape" or "where did you get those robes" or "how much is full Verac?". It doesn't take more than two minutes to figure those things out, and they expect me to do the same just for them. Normally I'm a patient person, but I can't be bothered to help everyone that asks the same doggone question every thirty seconds.

It's not about levels or knowledge or anything like that. It's about respect. I don't believe that levels are anything of a respectable matter, but it's the person's demeanor that makes me respect them. Anyone that tells me that they have all 99 combat stats in x number of months shows me that they don't respect the fact that I've chosen my path of training.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

pc didnt ruin rs at all actully it made it better im my view
right....

PC does not "ruin" RS, but it does:

A: Create high lvl characters who instead of helping out newer characters, need help themselves on even basic things. These are often arrogant, immature, jerks who because they have a superior combat lvl believe they own RS, though that is not always the case. Pc is also risk free, dumbing down the game considerably.

B: You dont even need to train combat skills. Concievably a "pure mellee" character could achieve 99 range, payer, and magic without having ever fired an arrow, buried a bone, or cast a spell.

C: It takes very little skill to play, and is generally an unenjoyable minigame all round.

Well thats my thoughts, and lets keep the flaming to a minimum.

GF TIF.

9 November 2006 - 22 January 2008, when I could no longer stand the painted turd that is the Tip.It community. Only posting in rants.

I don't have a lot of time every day to play runescape, so when i do, i like to be productive. That's why I train at pest control.

deciever2.gif

Dragon Drops: D spear x 2, D skirt, D half-shield, D axe, D 2h

Barrows Rewards: Ahrims hood, Karil's Coif, half key x 6, D med, torags legs, veracs flail

I don't have a lot of time every day to play runescape, so when i do, i like to be productive. That's why I train at pest control.

Which brings an excelent point.

Is it an advanted to those who are able to play 24/7 compared to those who "have lives" and can only play an hour or two a day?

w4M8t.png

Is it an advanted to those who are able to play 24/7 compared to those who "have lives" and can only play an hour or two a day?

I only play an hour or two a day, maybe three at weekends. It is a valid point that if you have time constraints it is good to pc, but as that would still take a long time you wouldnt become an arrogant immature high level.

GF TIF.

9 November 2006 - 22 January 2008, when I could no longer stand the painted turd that is the Tip.It community. Only posting in rants.

As with everything, yes. Generally, the more time you have to practice(train, in this case) the better you get. It really shouldn't be about that though, sure, the game is a competitive one but it's supposed to be fun.

jfacsig01ti4.jpg

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

You said it would give high lvls more people to hang out with. Since when did your combat lvl determine your intellect or knowledge of RS?

It has in a way for me. All my friends expect me to use pc ,but I find it boring and dull. Yes, it is the fastest way but Gawd does it have to be so monotonous?

right....

A: Create high lvl characters who instead of helping out newer characters, need help themselves on even basic things. These are often arrogant, immature, jerks who because they have a superior combat lvl believe they own RS, though that is not always the case. Pc is also risk free, dumbing down the game considerably.

B: You dont even need to train combat skills. Concievably a "pure mellee" character could achieve 99 range, payer, and magic without having ever fired an arrow, buried a bone, or cast a spell.

C: It takes very little skill to play, and is generally an unenjoyable minigame all round.

Well thats my thoughts, and lets keep the flaming to a minimum.

I agree with you all on your points except A most of the super high lvls are very smart, and generally mute, the few that do talk are ussually very nice, and there are only a few who act like jackas....

4455.jpg

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

You said it would give high lvls more people to hang out with. Since when did your combat lvl determine your intellect or knowledge of RS?

It has in a way for me. All my friends expect me to use pc ,but I find it boring and dull. Yes, it is the fastest way but Gawd does it have to be so monotonous?

yes, unfortunately a lot of players only look at combat level. Whilst i train combat more than I skill, i still respect skillers a lot more than level 126s with <500 total lvl.

GF TIF.

It isn't total lvl or how high your combat lvl is its whether your a generally nice, sociable person. I don't care if your a lvl 3 with a 100 skill total, if you respect me as a person and don't expect certain benefits from me I will respect you.

4455.jpg

Oscar Wilde

That's the main problem.. They make 120+cmb a joke.. My freind pced 99 atk and stre, and doesn't understand prayer bonus armors, potions fighting etc etc.. The basics you learn training in RS.

When a majority of the 120s in Rs play like a lvl 85-90, that shows there's a problem.

genielampsiggv7.jpg

Shot at 2007-07-23

I don't think that PC has ruined RuneScape. For one, even though training at PC is a lot faster, it is also a lot more boring. I've tryed training at PC, and I hate it. I plan never to train at PC again. And I've never actually met a "PC noob", someone who has a high combat level but a low knowledge level, which means that they can't really be very common, so I don't see what the whole problem is. It does seem that those who got to high level before PC worked much harder, but that means that they know how to train without an easy mini-game which is worth all that extra work. Also, it means that they have gotten more fun out of RuneScape because they have been playing for longer than the person who mindlessly plays the boring PC.

When a majority of the 120s in Rs play like a lvl 85-90, that shows there's a problem.

PC'ers aren't the arrogant high levels, YOU are.

mrE.png

"We will certainly not be gaining money or members with this update. Instead, we are doing this for the good of the game, which is as dear to our hearts as it is to you."

- JAGEX, December 13, 2007

right....

Bingo!! As I stated. You never need to learn things such as potting, prayer bonses, also EATING! Ever seen a Pc Product in C wars? they dont know what healing is, they figure their full hp and prayer with 1.2k gp every 60 seconds

genielampsiggv7.jpg

Shot at 2007-07-23

That's the main problem.. They make 120+cmb a joke.. My freind pced 99 atk and stre, and doesn't understand prayer bonus armors, potions fighting etc etc.. The basics you learn training in RS.

Underlined was a quote don't know what happened to it.

If a new update comes out no one will no about how to deal with it and no one will have any distinct advantage except the higher lvls. If its a quest or minigame they can do it without fear of dying because of their hp lvls. What do you mean we'll have a greater advantage? Because we know that if you use a knife on a banana it will turn into banana slices?

4455.jpg

Oscar Wilde

I don't think that PC has ruined RuneScape. For one, even though training at PC is a lot faster, it is also a lot more boring. I've tryed training at PC, and I hate it. I plan never to train at PC again. And I've never actually met a "PC noob", someone who has a high combat level but a low knowledge level, which means that they can't really be very common, so I don't see what the whole problem is. It does seem that those who got to high level before PC worked much harder, but that means that they know how to train without an easy mini-game which is worth all that extra work. Also, it means that they have gotten more fun out of RuneScape because they have been playing for longer than the person who mindlessly plays the boring PC.

Arragant? I'm just simply telling you there's a problem when a lvl 120 has the skill of a level 85.. and obviously your offended because of your personal level

genielampsiggv7.jpg

Shot at 2007-07-23

I PC to raise my combat, but then I do barrows, which is the riskist minigame if done wrong. So tell me I'm and arrogant high lvl and please explain to me the facts for your conclusion and I will happily discuss with you. But please do me a favour and do not take the fact that someone uses PC to train and make the conclusion they are dumb and arrogant, as this is not the case 100% of the time.

I have a cousin who plays runescape...he hasn't ever PCed, but when he was level 50, it wasn't as fun playing with him due to the fact that a lot of the stuff I enjoyed doing, wasn't very efficient at his level...Now he is level 90+ and he can do things that are much more dangerous but still fun in the game...this is what i meant by that.

w4M8t.png

Arragant? I'm just simply telling you there's a problem when a lvl 120 has the skill of a level 85.. and obviously your offended because of your personal level

Yes, actually I am offended when you are basically saying that I play stupidly and don't know what a prayer bonus is, how potions work or what armor does because I am an unintelligent low level.

mrE.png

"We will certainly not be gaining money or members with this update. Instead, we are doing this for the good of the game, which is as dear to our hearts as it is to you."

- JAGEX, December 13, 2007

If someone doesn't like skills and only does combat and the minimal amount of skills, does that make him a noob? No, it does now, all it means is that he/she plays the game how they want to and do not care what others think. In the end it really is how someone wants to play.

These are some very interesting posts.

First of PC does make it easier to lvl your combat. There is nothing wrong with this. It makes it more efficient for the people who have a limited amount of time on they're hands.

Keep in mind people can abuse this. If a person starts out at lvl 80 Cb they could lvl that up to lvl 100 in about a month and a half maybe less if they found good worlds. This is where the problem is because then you have higer lvls running about not knowing what they are doing. So when you go to play a game like C wars your not shure if those 100+ people actually know what they are doing.

Point is you can not tag everyone as a "PC Noob" Just because they play the game to raise they're combat.

It also takes away you social skills. Think about it if you are in one spot for hours on end chances are that there will be people around you to talk to. This can make you a nicer and easier person to be around. Not just in the game but in life.

If only we all didnt care about what others thought.... :boohoo:

prospektssigza4.jpg