Sheepman created: 15% human 85% sheep

Nadril

Of course, they don't have morality like we do

Why do you say that? They actually kill for a purpose - hunger - and generally don't kill if it doesn't serve a purpose. Perhaps some animals know better what is moral and what is not than some humans.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you say that? They actually kill for a purpose - hunger - and generally don't kill if it doesn't serve a purpose. Perhaps some animals know better what is moral and what is not than some humans.

I see you're taking morality on a purely evolutionary standpoint. I agree, you could argue an animal only killing for food is it's morality and killing within the species is 'morally' wrong for them as it in no way aids the species, as is the same for humans. I was, on this occasion, referring to morality which is more of a conciousness gone mad thing. You know, how some people latch on to an idea and get the idea in thier head that it's wrong and can never be right. Kinda like pro lifers. :lol: Anyway it's kinda late and I probably don't really know what I'm talking about, but what I think I was getting as was that animals don't have an opinionated morality like we humans do.

I hope a word or two of that made sense.

Anyway it's kinda late and I probably don't really know what I'm talking about, but what I think I was getting as was that animals don't have an opinionated morality like we humans do.

I guess I get what you're saying, but I wouldn't say animals don't have the same kind of 'morality' at all. There are plenty of stories where, for example, a mother dog raises young kitties or whatever who lost their natural mother. Apparently the dog perceives it as her "duty" to raise the kitties in that case, which is some sort of 'human morality' too - helping those who are in need of help as they are unable to help themselves.

I see you're taking morality on a purely evolutionary standpoint. I agree, you could argue an animal only killing for food is it's morality and killing within the species is 'morally' wrong for them as it in no way aids the species, as is the same for humans.

That's not always true. On some occassions (from an evolutionary point of view) killing within the species is good, favoring natural selection. I won't get in to this in this topic because it's offtopic.

I was, on this occasion, referring to morality which is more of a conciousness gone mad thing. You know, how some people latch on to an idea and get the idea in thier head that it's wrong and can never be right. Kinda like pro lifers. :lol: Anyway it's kinda late and I probably don't really know what I'm talking about, but what I think I was getting as was that animals don't have an opinionated morality like we humans do.

I hope a word or two of that made sense.

I think you're right. Morality is something we made up. Again, from an evolutionary point of view, there's nothing wrong with _not_ caring about animals. Transforming them into meat or organ donors is just another way that we practice our "right of the strongest".

Now, before everyone jumps on me saying I'm a cold hearted monster... I'd like to say that this is purely a theory, nothing practical I would like to see happen in the world of today.

Good god.

Im one of those guys who is all for science and thinks religion is a bunch of baloney, but i honestly think this is insane. :shock:

They gotta know when to stop.

megakillersigbyhawkxsrh0.png

Quit Runescape 30th May 2006.

Thanks to Hawkxs for my signature :)

it is not a mansheep it is a meep. and i don't like the whole genetic mutation.plus we are not supposed to play "god" with animals.stupid animal rights, they just say a bunch of crap.

This feels exceptional on my under-carriage.

4. I have an IQ above the average runescaper.

Above average runescaper? I really doubt and your spelling speaks for itself. Just because firefox says there aren't any mistakes in your writing, that doesn't mean it's always true!

Example:

I was happy because is old someone this pumpkin a found for 1k (my 2nd day in runescape -.-)

What's the next thing you are going to say? That you are mature?

Here we go back in time to mythical ages...

Oh, Haha! I get it! Because they used the word chimera in the article! Nice observational humor there! You're awesome, really. You took one scenario, and applied it out of context to another hypothetical situation! How clever!

So anyways, how about we not compare scientific breakthroughs to mythological stories? We're not going to have any of this: 45841qVYU_w.jpg from transplanting cells (not changing genetic code here as you've been led to believe) so how about you come up with your own conclusions rather than basing judgment on a giant extrapolation that led you astray in the first place because of bad reporting.

Above average runescaper? I really doubt and your spelling speaks for itself. Just because firefox says there aren't any mistakes in your writing, that doesn't mean it's always true!

Example:

I was happy because is old someone this pumpkin a found for 1k (my 2nd day in runescape -.-)

It's a typo you moron it should say i sold and why do you go around finding my posts looking for a typo? You're a hypocrite IMO and I don't rely on Firefox's spell check i know it sucks. Besides you're sayimg I'm immature but you have a messed up penguin avatar (at least mine is from something)
Your name is "bet you fail", and you're starting a business with your mom? I'm not even going to touch that.....

Example:

It's a typo you moron it should say i sold and why do you go around finding my posts looking for a typo? You're a hypocrite IMO and I don't rely on Firefox's spell check i know it sucks. Besides you're sayimg I'm immature but you have a messed up penguin avatar (at least mine is from something)

Abyssal, you're completely off topic here. I for one do think you're incredibly immature, but that aside, what does going off on a tangent about penguin avatars being 'messed up' compared to avatars that are 'from something'? Rodl, I'd just stop trying with this guy, because he's bringing you to his level. I know I'm just adding to your guys' needless to the side arguing, but seriously, nobody wants to read that nonsense you're both throwing back and forth at each other.

Example:

Abyssal, you're completely off topic here. I for one do think you're incredibly immature, but that aside, what does going off on a tangent about penguin avatars being 'messed up' compared to avatars that are 'from something'? Rodl, I'd just stop trying with this guy, because he's bringing you to his level. I know I'm just adding to your guys' needless to the side arguing, but seriously, nobody wants to read that nonsense you're both throwing back and forth at each other.

Weren't we talking about sheep roflqtm (rolling on the floor laughing quietly to myself)?

Anyways, why to people say "going off on a tangent"? WHy not off on a cosine or a sine or a cosecant or something?

OT-

Thats really creepy, I'll bring it up in religion class tomorrow (Religion class is like the class where we just have discussion for the last period really), and see what the church/the rest of my class has to say.

What happens when the sheep that we inject with human genetic material gains our intelligence and level on sentience? What happens when it gets feelings and can learn? What happens when it becomes as smart as us? Is it still alright for us to wantonly slaughter it?

And yeah... with so many animal viruses popping up nowadays I think we should proceed with caution. My money is on synthetics rather than cloned stuff - if it breaks, put in a new one.

sigon4.jpg

handed me TWO tissues to clear up. I was like "i'm going to need a few more paper towels than that luv"

What happens when the sheep that we inject with human genetic material gains our intelligence and level on sentience? What happens when it gets feelings and can learn? What happens when it becomes as smart as us? Is it still alright for us to wantonly slaughter it?
Simple...It won't.
iteme3721.jpg

Simple...It won't.

Show me your degree in genetic engineering from an accredited university, or give some shred of reasonable proof, and I might believe you.

sigon4.jpg

handed me TWO tissues to clear up. I was like "i'm going to need a few more paper towels than that luv"

Simple...It won't.

Show me your degree in genetic engineering from an accredited university, or give some shred of reasonable proof, and I might believe you.

You misread the article because these sheep weren't genetically engineered. They had human cells transplanted into their own organs but that doesn't change their genetics or make them 15% more human.

Anyways, why to people say "going off on a tangent"? WHy not off on a cosine or a sine or a cosecant or something?

I think a tangent is a line that goes flat off the edge of a circle, or something like that. So, saying anything about co-secants doesn't make sense, and gives me bad memories. :wink:

On topic... I think humans are seriously trying too hard to make themselves immortal. We're meant to live and die, some shorter, and some longer. It's ridiculous.

If you want a professional opinion, why did you come here? We play Runescape.

That's pretty funny, yet true... I hope you don't mind that I added it to my signature.

- Np Tyler

I love how ignorant animal rights activists are. I mean many vegetarians won't eat meat, but they eat fish, which they claim isn't meat... right, whatever helps you sleep better at night.

As for cloning? Personally, I love how whenever you mention cloning to any layperson most say "It's immoral! Were playing god on living creatures!". Okay, let me stop you there. Cloning is old news, and it's being done everywhere. Heck I cloned a living being 5 hours ago during Genetics lab. Granted, it was E.Coli but still, it was a living thing I and clonned it. Woo-hoo, big deal.

Ever hear of cloning vectors? You know, when we take our mRNA and essentially make it into a virus? We take some human mRNA and modify it so it injects itself into a prokayote like E.Coli which turns that living cell into a slave, forcing it to produce mass amounts of whatever protein you desire. After a few days of forcing it to make these proteins for which it has no use for, the cell simply starves itself to death to end it's suffering. Don't believe me? Were do we get insulin from? We do we get collagen? Simple, we have vats of these single celled organisms and infect them all with our gene that encodes say, insulin. After a few days we gather up up the cells, rip them to shreds, and then centerfuge off and collect the insulin.

So... how is a sheep different from a prokayote? Why does no one even care the slightest about what's been going on? Is it because sheep are cute, and cuddly, and seem more "human" to us so they for some reason get more rights then prokayotes? :roll:

*EDIT* Sorry for the double post, but I believe the two topics discussed are significantly diverse enough to warrant a separate posting.

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

Simple...It won't.

Wait, your sarcastic right? I mean, "What happens when the sheep that we inject with human genetic material gains our intelligence and level on sentience?" Lol, I'm sorry but that is pretty far-fetched. I'm going to come across as a prick saying this, but honestly, for someone in my major and year to come across a question like that is akin to you finding a someone in Runescape that says "What if, by dropping this party hat, I become an administrator? And then... what it I suddenly become corrupted and then ban all my friends?!? OMG!" :uhh:

Right, anyway to put it shortly, there are a million reasons why this is impossible. Heck we can start out with the fact that the sheep's phylogeny can't support a skull of our dimensions, and thus a brain of our capacity. Okay, but now you might ask, well what if they inherit parts of our body type as well? Well first off, they won't because the geneticists who do these sorts of experiments know exactly what genes they are putting into the egg. It's not like they just pull out the DNA out of their nucleus and then go "Hey, lets inject some pieces of this into that sheep fetus and watch it mutate!!" Which also brings up the point that living things' biochemical pathways are pretty smart... they want to further their race and spread their DNA. If an egg suspects ANYTHING amiss it kills itself. Spontaneous abortion. A miscarriage. Missing a chromosome, not growing at the correct speed, showing irregularities, larger than normal, different shape than normal... and bam, it kills itself.

Fact: for every person born with some kind of mental retardation or birth defect, over thirty five fetuses were miscarried.

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

I love how ignorant animal rights activists are. I mean many vegetarians won't eat meat, but they eat fish, which they claim isn't meat... right, whatever helps you sleep better at night.

As for cloning? Personally, I love how whenever you mention cloning to any layperson most say "It's immoral! Were playing god on living creatures!". Okay, let me stop you there. Cloning is old news, and it's being done everywhere. Heck I cloned a living being 5 hours ago during Genetics lab. Granted, it was E.Coli but still, it was a living thing I and clonned it. Woo-hoo, big deal.

Ever hear of cloning vectors? You know, when we take our mRNA and essentially make it into a virus? We take some human mRNA and modify it so it injects itself into a prokayote like E.Coli which turns that living cell into a slave, forcing it to produce mass amounts of whatever protein you desire. After a few days of forcing it to make these proteins for which it has no use for, the cell simply starves itself to death to end it's suffering. Don't believe me? Were do we get insulin from? We do we get collagen? Simple, we have vats of these single celled organisms and infect them all with our gene that encodes say, insulin. After a few days we gather up up the cells, rip them to shreds, and then centerfuge off and collect the insulin.

So... how is a sheep different from a prokayote? Why does no one even care the slightest about what's been going on? Is it because sheep are cute, and cuddly, and seem more "human" to us so they for some reason get more rights then prokayotes? :roll:

*EDIT* Sorry for the double post, but I believe the two topics discussed are significantly diverse enough to warrant a separate posting.

Ironically I had a lecture today on the very same issue (genetic engineering). Interesting stuff. Apart from the comparison of prokaryotic cells to a multi cellular organism i.e. a eukaryotic organism, I'm with you. :D :P

People seem to forget/never knew that we (and every other living organism) are the result of a set of instructions. No miracles, no blessings, just a slab of unbiased, inherited DNA.

I watched that program too, and some people seem to be missing the point on how the human DNA is spread in the sheep's body. Remember, genetic fusion is not happening. The human DNA is concentrated in one part of the sheep's body, for example, the stomach. This is done by injecting the stem cells when the sheep is at a foetal stage when the organs have assigned positions, but they are not developed. The stem cells are then injected at the stomach.

The result is a perfectly normal sheep (Not a Sheep-Man you seem to call it) with a human stomach. The stomach has almost 100% human DNA, which is high enough for a human body to accept. The rest of the body is 0%. This means that the sheep is acting as a living petri dish.

Of course, this method can be performed on several other organs so human livers, hearts and the like can be produced.

THE SHEEP LIVE PERFECTLY NORMAL LIVES WITH NO PAIN.

I am personally all for this, but there is a line to be drawn here, for example performing this on a brain or in an area where the sheep suffers as a result.

~ W ~

sigzi.png