Who do you think is the best drummer ever?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No lovin' for Buddy Rich?

I'd forgotten how good that video was. That has to be my favourite solo and I'd say the best piece of drums I've heard. I really love Mike Portney from Dream Theater and Joey Jordison as well.

ragenori9bosq4.gif

Thanks Venomai for this super sig and Kwimbob for the awesome avatar!

Man oh man...so many.

Neil Pert

Scott Travis/Dave Holland(Judas Priest, Painkiller intro proves that)

Nicko McBrain, Iron Maiden.

Lars Ulrich.

goldphishies.jpeg

[>>Thanks to Yaff2 for Reaper,Trooper,and DOOM sigs, Navyplaya for nature sigs, Hardwick246 for gold sig, ThruItAll for Darkwatch and guitar sigs, and Aijiru for avvy!<<]

[>>Refresh for new Siggie!<<]

according to kerrang David Grohl out of nirvana is no.3 best ever and joey is number 2, but i missed number 1...

joey (if that is his real name) is sooooooooooooo awesome in left behind i would sooooo love to learn that but even my drum teacher can't play it...

siggy.jpg

Watered-down metalheads always claim that Joey Jordison is the greatest drummer ever, since double-bass drumming is pretty uncommon in mainstream "metal" bands. I implore that you check out some real metal bands. Sure, Joey is good, but its not like hes the only person that can play double bass...

Metal fans, check out my band!

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

...Joey Jordison is a very talented drummer.

Joey ~ slipknot

Undisputable fact that he is the God of drummers

What this guy does is good. BUT...listen to late 80's metal...Slayer, Sepultura, Testament, Anthrax. All been done before. He's more of a disciple of other drummer Gods.

And speaking of drummer Gods...

Dave Lombardo blew my mind on Testament's album 'the Gathering'. It was by far better than his work on Slayer. I've listened to that album literally hundreds of times and I still think that album is the best by Testament.

Have you heard his work on Grip Inc.? Especially their first album "Power Of Inner Strength". Check it out.

Yeah true, theres no way Lars is the best drummer ever...he was never anything more than average..

And he's completely stuck on himself. I love old Metallica. Love it...but they went nowhere fast when Cliff Burton died. I think he must have smacked Lar's around and kept him from turning into a little whiney...nvm.

THERE IS NO BETTER DRUMMER THAN NEIL PERT
YES THERE IS HE IS CALLED KEITH MOON

They both are good. Neil Pert has a phd in drums doesn't he? I know he attended several years of collage studying percussion. Which is educated drumming. Keith Moon had lots and lots and lots of drugs. In fact they killed him. Pert wins. He's still alive.

The only response you will get on here are drummers of peoples favorite bands, they know nothing about them or other drummers and just assume they are good

The bests are like

Neil Pert, very few people who know anything about him will disagree, he is the most acclaimed drummer of all time by music critics

Keith Moon

John Bonham

Neil is rush drummer is he not? If so, yeah he is absolutly astounding...

Bonham is a legend

I play the drums myself[/b]

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

OMG JOEY JORDISON IS THE BEST! SINCE HES THE ONLY PERSON THAT PLAYS DOUBLE BASS, AND ITS SO COMPLICATED, VARIED, AND HARD TO PULL OFF!

You serious? :-k I can name loads of drummers that use double bass and jordison is very good, but i wouldnt say he is as talented as the likes of John Bonham or Neil Peart.

Edit---sorry for double post :oops:

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

OMG JOEY JORDISON IS THE BEST! SINCE HES THE ONLY PERSON THAT PLAYS DOUBLE BASS, AND ITS SO COMPLICATED, VARIED, AND HARD TO PULL OFF!

I have a double bass in my basement, am I famous?

You're an idiot. I created this thread and it's what you think you dumbnut.
No, you're an idiot

Drumming is a unique topic, many people judge drumming on the skill it takes to pull off a "drum beat" because they know so little about drumming. Drumming is probably one of the most basic instruments out there, most people can play pretty much anything after fooling around with it for a while.

No, you're an idiot

Drumming is a unique topic, many people judge drumming on the skill it takes to pull off a "drum beat" because they know so little about drumming. Drumming is probably one of the most basic instruments out there, most people can play pretty much anything after fooling around with it for a while.

Firstly, surely the caps lock was indication enough that he was joking. Nice reading.

Secondly, drumming is not simple. Yes, almost anyone can play a simple rock beat, but then again almost anyone could play a simple chord progression on a guitar if you showed them how. Simple things are simple to play, regardless of the instrument.

There is nothing basic about the drumming from YYZ by Rush, or Ticks and Leeches by Tool.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

No, you're an idiot

Firstly, surely the caps lock was indication enough that he was joking. Nice reading.

Secondly, drumming is not simple. Yes, almost anyone can play a simple rock beat, but then again almost anyone could play a simple chord progression on a guitar if you showed them how. Simple things are simple to play, regardless of the instrument.

There is nothing basic about the drumming from YYZ by Rush, or Ticks and Leeches by Tool.

Just don't argue with me. Drumming is much less complicated compared to other instruments. I am talking about actual playing, not writing music. There are 7 pieces in an average drum set, that means only a very limited number of notes can even be played. Compare that to the thousands of notes you can play on a guitar, and you have to have quick fingers as well. I've been playing guitar for 13 years and drums for 4, after about a month of drums, I could play nearly every song

don't argue with me. Drumming is much less complicated compared to other instruments. I am talking about actual playing, not writing music. There are 7 pieces in an average drum set, that means only a very limited number of notes can even be played. Compare that to the thousands of notes you can play on a guitar, and you have to have quick fingers as well. I've been playing guitar for 13 years and drums for 4, after about a month of drums, I could play nearly every song

Wow, a conceited person on an internet forum, how original.

The mistake you seem to be making is judging the difficulty of the instrument by its range. Yes, drums are generally tuned to mostly similar notes, but creating melody is not the purpose of a drum kit, they're for rhythm.

To break down your argument - There's not thousands of notes on a guitar, there's seven, twelve if you count accidentals (sharps and flats). While I'm sure you knew this already, I thought I would be pedantic, because that seems like your style. There is, however, thousands of ways to arrange them, but this is true of all instruments, drums included.

Next, yes, you do need quick fingers for a playing guitar, amongst other things - In drumming, you need quick arms, hands, wrists, and feet. The technique is far too different to compare.

I'm a guitar player myself, but saying that drums are any easier than guitar is just idiotic. This might be true in the sense that you might not need to be as capable a drummer as you do a guitarist to be in the average band, but that's not the fault of the instrument, it's just the player not using the full potential of the kit.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

Chris Adler of Lamb of God. I'm going to see them play live this saturday!!!!! =P~

Danny Carey. Oh my god. I finally got my [wagon] into gear and learnt Lateralus by Tool (guitar), among other Tool songs, and in the second clean guitar section listen to when the drum beat kicks in. That's what I call some fine composition. ::'

=P~ x 1,000,000

being a drummer myself i listen to all different styles types or whatever you want to call it of music. you will get mixed opinions metal heads will say lars ulrich joey jordison lars well nothing great really pretty average joeys pretty nice imo his best drumming is done on slipknots self titled lots of shifts fills kick fills and stuff. imo the best drummers a stewart copeland danney carey and mike portnoy danney carey is just awsome hes switches between time sigs so fluently nd clena portnoy is just well god. and stuart has great style.

mr0solitaire.png

Currently playing... WoW - C:SS

Taking a huge break from rs.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ar&n=Nelaz

No, you're an idiot

Just don't argue with me. Drumming is much less complicated compared to other instruments. I am talking about actual playing, not writing music. There are 7 pieces in an average drum set, that means only a very limited number of notes can even be played. Compare that to the thousands of notes you can play on a guitar, and you have to have quick fingers as well. I've been playing guitar for 13 years and drums for 4, after about a month of drums, I could play nearly every song

your a deadset idiot ive been playing drums for 2 years got a nice kit etc but that comment is just crap drums is one of the hardest instruments id like to you do a 9/8 beat with 32 notes on the hats if so post on youtube and well see whos and by the look of what your saying/typing i dont think youve even been near a drumkit love too see you play lateralus by tool.

mr0solitaire.png

Currently playing... WoW - C:SS

Taking a huge break from rs.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ar&n=Nelaz

To break down your argument - There's not thousands of notes on a guitar, there's seven, twelve if you count accidentals (sharps and flats). While I'm sure you knew this already, I thought I would be pedantic, because that seems like your style. There is, however, thousands of ways to arrange them, but this is true of all instruments, drums included.

this isn't the first thing he has been pedantic about on this forum...and Cathbert it is very annoying...sorry :oops:

this isn't the first thing he has been pedantic about on this forum...and Cathbert it is very annoying...sorry :oops:

Thats because you suck at science and I don't, I was only correcting you on that topic

your a deadset idiot ive been playing drums for 2 years got a nice kit etc but that comment is just crap drums is one of the hardest instruments id like to you do a 9/8 beat with 32 notes on the hats if so post on youtube and well see whos and by the look of what your saying/typing i dont think youve even been near a drumkit love too see you play lateralus by tool.
By the look that I type? Erm.... ok. And btw, your paragraph there was a big run on sentence which leads me to believe that you are too young to be on these forums. And saying drums is one of the hardest instruments? :lol:

You're the first person I've met who corrects people on the true definition of a note, with the exception of my musical theory teacher.

Next, yes, you do need quick fingers for a playing guitar, amongst other things - In drumming, you need quick arms, hands, wrists, and feet. The technique is far too different to compare.
You're right about that, although imo, if you have good rhythm then it really isn't hard to be good at drums