Global Warming. Whats your opinion?

britrockdude

c02 levels are only slightly changed by cars and such, many seem to forget that we're killing the forests, which could use that c02

in my opinion, global warming is just a way to get money away from oil companies and put politicians in office...

for the temperature graph i've seen, the change was half a degree in 150 years, and to top it off, it was made to look like it was something like 50 degrees since last year...

i will admit that the site for the graph was wikipedia, but there are a lot of reasons to beleive that global warming is nonexistant.

i'd bet that few people could actually say what c02 is

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought most people on this forum would be happy with gobal warming.

Listen to the benifits.

1. You no longer need a oven, everyone owns one.

2. You can get your eggs cooked sunny side up OUTSIDE. (who doesn't want fresh air?)

3. Heatstrokes are good excuses not to go to school.

:mrgreen:

~Defender~

If you love me, send me a PM.

8 - Love me

2 - Hate me

global warming is nonexistant.

:-s

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

c02 levels are only slightly changed by cars and such, many seem to forget that we're killing the forests, which could use that c02

in my opinion, global warming is just a way to get money away from oil companies and put politicians in office...

for the temperature graph i've seen, the change was half a degree in 150 years, and to top it off, it was made to look like it was something like 50 degrees since last year...

i will admit that the site for the graph was wikipedia, but there are a lot of reasons to beleive that global warming is nonexistant.

And what would be the benefit of that? Oil companies rake in billions, goverments tax them and talk up thier strong economy. Added to that, the mining industry puts jobs on the table and gives countries material to export, hence more money.

im doing a research paper about this topic and ironically some people think they arent causing global warming when thouands of trees are cut down each day. -.-

Hey, I'm not causing it. I've never cut down a tree in my life.

I don't think that global warming doesn't exist, as a matter of fact, I whole heartedly believe that global climate change is very real. I simply do not believe that humans are the culprit, or at least a real contributing factor to global warming.

The best scientific results that have been produced showed that international climate change has happened in the last fifty years and will continue in the future. It didn't even specify global warming. (I saw it on the news, so don't quote me) ;P

There is no conclusive evidence which leads us to believe global warming is occuring because of human interference and most importantly, carbon dioxide levels.

Also, if the polar ice caps were to melt, the ocean's surface (which would be far larger) would absorb a large amount of carbon dioxide, helping to stabilize the gas' levels. (If the problem is CO2.) Silly stuff.

im doing a research paper about this topic and ironically some people think they arent causing global warming when thouands of trees are cut down each day. -.-

Hey, I'm not causing it. I've never cut down a tree in my life.

I don't think that global warming doesn't exist, as a matter of fact, I whole heartedly believe that global climate change is very real. I simply do not believe that humans are the culprit, or at least a real contributing factor to global warming.

The best scientific results that have been produced showed that international climate change has happened in the last fifty years and will continue in the future. It didn't even specify global warming. (I saw it on the news, so don't quote me) ;P

There is no conclusive evidence which leads us to believe global warming is occuring because of human interference and most importantly, carbon dioxide levels.

Also, if the polar ice caps were to melt, the ocean's surface (which would be far larger) would absorb a large amount of carbon dioxide, helping to stabilize the gas' levels. (If the problem is CO2.) Silly stuff.

What exactly are you saying there? Carbon dioxide dosen't cause global warming or carbon dioxide levels aren't increasing?

If it's the former, explain why the greenhouse effect is wrong or if it's the latter, tell me another greenhouse gas that's been on the rise of late (measurably so) or what actually causes the globe to warm. If it's niether, sorry, I'm not all that confident of what exactly you were stating.

THIS I believe, is the real reason for Global warming. It is completely natural, and there is NOTHING we can do to stop it.

New evidence shows that that as the radiation coming from the sun varies (and sun-spot activity is one way of monitoring this) the earth seems to heat up or cool down. Solar activity very precisely matches the plot of temperature change over the last 100 years. It correlates well with the anomalous post-war temperature dip, when global carbon dioxide levels were rising.

Thank you. :thumbsup:

I forgot how I said this before but it also has to do with magnetic activity being up or down from the sun. IT'S ALL MAGNETICS PEOPLE! :XD:

61784167.jpg

it will happen...but i think we just overreact a bit.

if we dont survive...its our own fault...like darwin said...survival of the fittest.

with our medicines...even the weakest had a chance to reproduce themself so the human was getting weaker.

so i think we just wont survive, we are just to weak. we should let the weaker people die............

but that wouldnt be nice...

so the cause of this problem is...we are to kind....

so what ever we will do... if we do it with our gasses...or we wait till a gigantic mondial eruption...global warming will come

and humanity will end

(note: sad post :cry: )

(me like dots!!! ::' )

so true, someone tried to do something about it, his name was Hitler, and no one liked it.

Hmm at least were at the peak of it all...

Yea, it's the sun.

This is how you can tell who's in the Global Warming campaign for reasons other than actually caring about the Earth. It's pretty obvious now that it's something to do with the Sun, considering Mars has also been heating up and, ahem...There is no oil usage and Co2 emmisions on Mars, lol.

I still think getting off the ole' oil is pretty important, but only because it will eventually run out, and when it does, if we're not off of it, there will be mass-war on the entire planet and la-de-da.

But yea...I no longer buy the whole "OMG MY CAR IS RUINING THE WORLD!" thing. I only car about other alternatives because they keep me from paying other people buttloads of money. :lol: When I get a house, I'll probably have a wind-power generator set up just so I don't have to pay the electricity company...Infact, they'll have to pay me, I can sell electricty to them. Pwned! :P

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

if we dont survive...its our own fault...like darwin said...survival of the fittest.

with our medicines...even the weakest had a chance to reproduce themself so the human was getting weaker.

so i think we just wont survive, we are just to weak. we should let the weaker people die............

so what ever we will do... if we do it with our gasses...or we wait till a gigantic mondial eruption...global warming will come

and humanity will end

so true, someone tried to do something about it, his name was Hitler, and no one liked it.

Medcines save the weak, meaning the weak arent weak due to medcines making them as strong as the stronger!

Drugs very rarely make the weak stronger. They help fix a problem, but they give you more problems to live with. Ever realized all drugs have side effects that sound pretty damn horrible? I've seen heart-burn drugs that may give you explosive diarrhea. WHAT THE HELL? How does THAT fix the problem?

A lot of times, if you take some vitamins, minerals, etc etc or certain kinds, or change your diet a bit, your problems go away. That's why the FDA and drug companies have been trying to make vitamins/minerals illegal to own without a perscription for years.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

Ok, face the facts. Global warming is happening. go rent "An Inconvenient Truth". If we don't clean up our act by 2050, its gonna be permanent

Rip, you unlucky 33

ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâë{}{ (fishing) ----|| (smithing) o---->(Crafting) ;-)

bannerbancocopiadj3.jpg

Oh,[cabbage]

and humanity will end

Medcines save the weak, meaning the weak arent weak due to medcines making them as strong as the stronger!

Yeah but now we live in an age where the weak, disabled, or diseased people can survive due to artificial means. This isn't the stone age where the 1 big guy survives by killing off competition and stealing resources just because he can.

And I don't know why it would be a bad thing. You can't treat weak people just as "resource hoggers". They are living people who definitely didn't choose to be born that way. Everyone wants to be born healthy with a strong immune system.

And for those who unfortunately don't, we have developed machines and medicines that will help them. :) I don't agree "weak people should just die out". As pointed out above it starts sounding too much like Germany just decades ago.

I was reffering to the belief that carbon dioxide is a major contributor to global warming.

;P

Don't get me started about the greenhouse gas stuff. D:

Well, granted, H20 has the gretest say in the greenhouse effect on this planet yet CO2 is the only of the greenhouse gasses which has noticably increased, hence why everyone's talking about it. Why it's increasing and what's the cause is another problem. I just wish that we'd pull our finger out sooner rather than later and realise either way, fossil fuels will run dry and we need to spend now so that we won't be stuck between a rock and a hard place in the future. Those of the position that we do nothing because we don't cause it have feeble minds in my opinion. In the bigger picture we really need to develop ways of new and/or more efficient energy production. I really can't stress that enough if we want to avoid a slip back into the middle ages due to foresight shorter than a bloody paperclip.

(note that this isn't directed at you, Lovelydude)

Yes, but unfortunately, that temp graph is wrong..its been up a couple whole degrees in a while...and anyway, that "little" change, results in the melting of the polar ice caps, regardless of your belief in global warming or not.

Im not much of a science guy but suposidly its all a bit of a con

Err..no, it isn't...i think that it may be somewhat difficult to do to have thousands of reknowned scientists in their field, who dedocate their lives to their field, conspiring about something like this lol.

Yea, it's the sun

Ok, temps are raising on mars...wooooooo!!! The temp fluctuates, but what we're seeing is an increase over a long period of time, on OUR planet, which is actually...Not mars, as...well, Mars doesn't have much of an atmosphere :? Comparing apples and oranges there.

honeslty..i really dont care about it...if it happens we will have to deal with it....

Unless you you for some reason don't plan on living past 70 (or already are 70), i think you will have to worry about it. It's gonna be something everyone will be talking about, and if it is real, then we'll be seeing it...in YOUR (unless again, you are 70) lifetime. Either way, i think that putting it off yourself is kinda selfish and just...wrong. But different strokes for different folks

All in all, i believe in global warming, and i think a lot of this is just trying to grasp at hairs here, trying to find excuses and such for an inconvient truth...oh, see what i did there? :XD:

lol, anyway, all positions put aside, what is wrong with cutting back on pollution, saving trees and cutting back on a limited resource? I think that if global warming isn't real, some other threat will be real in the future because of our destruction of the earth. I seriously see NO harm in cutting back on things.. :-k

Nearly everyone who has posted here (probably not everyone, considering I haven't read all the posts) has no idea what global warming even is. Now I have received a basic background, and I won't go into the specific chemical details but the basic fact is that exhaust and greenhouse gases (most man-made keep in mind) are depleting the ozone layer. The ozone layer protects the Earth from the powerful rays of the sun (in essence the light "bounces off" of the ozone layer), only letting in what we require for life. Now if the greenhouse gases deplete this, what happens? The ozone can't protect us as much, powerful sunlight goes through and heats up the Earth. That's what cause global warming.

For all of you who have said that humans aren't the main problem, or that cars don't actually cause this problem, you are WRONG. In fact, you are more wrong than wrong. We are the main problem in this situation, and it is up to use to change it. I'm sure some of you have seen (actually no, more likely heard of) the movie "An Inconvenient Truth". Now I'll admit that this movie certainly exagerrates in some aspects, most of the information is true and very real.

After this post, I'm sure some of you are going to make feeble attempts at rebutting me and that's fine. You can believe what you want to believe, but know this: there is a right and a wrong here. This problem isn't opinionated and if you choose to ignore it, you will, in the long run, destroy the Earth. And just so you know, I'm not going to argue back. If you feel I am wrong, fine. That's just fine. I'll read what you have to say, but it doesn't matter. It just doesn't matter.

Click here.

If you go there good things will transpire.

of you who have said that humans aren't the main problem, or that cars don't actually cause this problem, you are WRONG.

OMG! Everyone, stop debating, this world issue has been solved because this guy's omniscient! Let's listen!

In fact, you are more wrong than wrong. We are the main problem in this situation, and it is up to use to change it. I'm sure some of you have seen (actually no, more likely heard of) the movie "An Inconvenient Truth". Now I'll admit that this movie certainly exagerrates in some aspects, most of the information is true and very real.

First of all, Al Gore is just using that issue for his own gain. He's the most sanctimonious, sob politician of his time, and if he even believed half the c**p that came out of his mouth, he'd at least change his lifestyle somewhat.

No one knows for sure what is the primary cause of global warming. If we did, this wouldn't be a hot button issue.

After this post, I'm sure some of you are going to make feeble attempts at rebutting me and that's fine.

How cute, again, he thinks he's omniscient. See above^.

You can believe what you want to believe, but know this: there is a right and a wrong here. This problem isn't opinionated and if you choose to ignore it, you will, in the long run, destroy the Earth. And just so you know, I'm not going to argue back. If you feel I am wrong, fine. That's just fine. I'll read what you have to say, but it doesn't matter. It just doesn't matter.

Let's see your evidence for why Global Warming is caused primarily by humans, besides "I saw an Inconvenient Truth! OMGZORZ!"

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Let's see your evidence for why Global Warming is caused primarily by humans, besides "I saw an Inconvenient Truth! OMGZORZ!"

global_warming.jpg

:-s

Yeah...i think you just compeltely blew what he said out of proportion. I think that it's hard to believe that its purely coincidental that the above graph had that enormous [bleep]e, riiiight about the time C02 emissions got very high.

Btw, i saw a post about More water=more CO2 absorbtion...

That's wrong. As water temperature increases, its permeability to gases decreases. It'd actually be getting less absorbtion.

Onnnnnne more thing. So what if Al Gore did it for his personal gain? I think you're just changing the subject entirely from global warming to your political beliefs. Who really cares if he is a bad politician or whatnot, he brought up an issuethat needed to be addressed. It worked. So what if you don't like the reasons he did it, he did it.

EDIT: Just a little bit more. I'd like to know if CO2 or any human-related causes are not to blame, what is? Do you say...the Sun heating up? Possibly volcanic activity? I say nay.

Lead researchers Tim Barnett and David Pierce used a combination of computer models and real-world "observed" data to capture signals of warming in the oceans caused by greenhouse gases...For the study, warming in the world's oceans was measured over the last 40 years. In all the ocean basins, the warming signal found in the upper 700 metres predicted by the models corresponded to the measurements obtained at sea with confidence exceeding 95%...Efforts to explain the ocean changes through naturally occurring variations in the climate or external forces, such as solar or volcanic factors, did not come close to reproducing the observed warming.

Temperatures just don't rise on their own with no cause. There has to be something. This study provides conclusive evidence that the other abiotic factors just don't provide enough heat to explain the said results.

Nearly everyone who has posted here (probably not everyone, considering I haven't read all the posts) has no idea what global warming even is. Now I have received a basic background, and I won't go into the specific chemical details but the basic fact is that exhaust and greenhouse gases (most man-made keep in mind) are depleting the ozone layer. The ozone layer protects the Earth from the powerful rays of the sun (in essence the light "bounces off" of the ozone layer), only letting in what we require for life. Now if the greenhouse gases deplete this, what happens? The ozone can't protect us as much, powerful sunlight goes through and heats up the Earth. That's what cause global warming.

Try not to sound so pompous in that you are right and everyone else is wrong. Here's, to the best of my knowlege, what global warming is. As an example to you, my friend, I'm going to say I may not have all of the right theory here.

What you are talking is the depletion of the ozone layer which then allows more UV light to come in. Bad stuff. This isn't caused by your classic greenhouse gasses (CO2, H20, CH4, NO2 etc) but rather by CFC's (chloroflourocarbons). Global warming, as I understand it, is radiant heat being kept within the atmosphere due to the electrochemical interactions of some electromagnetic wavelengths with some gasses which re-emmit the radiation back to earth rather than let it continue out into space thus allowing it more time and opportunity to discharge it's heat energy.

I personally do not believe in global warming, I think it is a trend that the Earth is going through and has been on for all of its existence. But I do believe we should cut down on pollution and such because it does have negative effects on the environment.

I am not sure whether this was stated earlier but I do not really care, I read a few pages and did not see anything on what I am going to say.

What I wanted to say here was that for all you people who claim that humans are the problem and we have the responsibilty to clean it up, I ask you, how is this to be done?

The fact is that the only way any significant reduction of pollution must come from the cooperation of the entire world or the vast majority of it. Things like this have already been tried politically but will never happen because the countries who benefit from not having pollution limitations will not accept any type of policy that may restrict them. You can already see this happening in America. The public is in such an uproar about global warming and they are electing people to do something and they are. Politicians are putting restrictions and requirements for the amount of pollution a business can produce on a yearly basis and this is hurting our economy.

It hurts our economy because we are losing jobs to other countries. Our businesses do not want to deal with laws on pollution and as a result they are outsourcing their jobs to places like China and such where it is cheaper labor and less government involvement. These are the same countries who will not put limitations on their businesses because it will hurt their up and coming economy more than our more established economy.

There have been attempts to worldwide reduction of pollutants into the air, but they are not feasible on the fact that they hurt countries economically. The fact is that it all comes down to money and money is what makes the world go round.

So before you go on about how it is humans fault and we are the only thing responsible for this warming of the globe, tell me how it will be accomplished without having dramatic impacts on our economy and the worlds economy. This issue is more than whether or not we should clean up our act, because if we could, it would not hurt. But honestly, I do not see how it is possible.

You can show me all the scientific data in the world proving to me that we are the scum of this Earth and we are the only things that are warming the Earth, but can anyone show me a way to solve the problem. All anyone talks about is that there is a problem, but we have no solutions that are politcally, economically and environmentally possible

Also, I believe it was not more than 50 years ago when scientists were claiming that we were entering another ice age.

Nobody can control his own life. The best you can do is chose to fill the roles given to you with good people, people who love you.

Gah

think it is a trend that the Earth is going through and has been on for all of its existence.

What is causing this increase then????

Meh. Anyway, i agree with you about the pollution things...but We are just so focused on the present, its troubling. I mean, its always necessary to mainly focus on the present, 80%. The other 20% should be split between past and future. Anyway, I think laws on pollution are necessary. We may be losing jobs, but think about it. When massive hurricanes of massive power collide with our shores, and ravage our land, we'll be out of a lot more jobs if we work to prevent this.

You asked to those who believe humans are the problem, what is to be done. Now, this seems a little odd to me. We're not saying:

Global warming is real, and we're fixing it.

We're saying:

Global warming is real, and we're NOT fixing it.

Point is, we're not saying there's tons of ways to fix it and such, we're merely identifying the problem.