Global Warming. Whats your opinion?

britrockdude

ok i read it

they have many good points

but i think that 75% of science is crap

including research on both sides of the debate

i guess what i support more

is anti pollution

because even if it dosent affect global warming it still hurts the environment in ways it never has

Science isnt a certain, their are many possibiltys, so really it all is how one uses the science they know, and what they apply to the unknowns.

The diffrence between the arguements is the idea from site pompey posted applys to more then one unknown, making it the most likely.

Anti-pollution is already in effect , the next step is anarchy.

vilnn2.png

Some people are like slinkies, normally they are dull, but they always give you a smile

when you push them down a flight of stairs.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean the democrats are just talk? Bush is the president of course he would be doing more about it than the democrats.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

What do you mean the democrats are just talk? Bush is the president of course he would be doing more about it than the democrats.

this iw what bugs me

people who think the president does it all

"ANYONE" can propose a bill for something

just e-mail, mail, or talk to someone with political power and it has a chance to get into congress and approved

i would do it if i had a good plan

New Sig Coming soon!

Considering they control congress, some sort of bill could be proposed.

Oh wait...too busy garnishing pork for their districts, right.

Since the 2006 election, not a single bill has been passed from committee to the floor on the issue of green fuels or clean renewable energy.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Everyone who says its caused naturally should go shove their head in the toilet. Do you think its some coincidence that the CO2 levels are all of a sudden way higher than they have ever been now, and that Antartica, the Arctic, and Greenland are pretty much melting away as we speak?... Yes, it would happen naturally, but not this much, and definitely not this fast. People need to smart up (especially us Americans, driving around in our gas-guzzling SUV's all the time, and polluting the air like theres no tomorrow), and start to use alternative energy solutions, buy cleaner cars, not use as much energy, and some of the other things that he mentioned in An Inconvenient Truth. Sheesh.

You should go shove your head in a toilet.. Maybe the bacteria in it might crawl inside your head and act as a brain..

Of course it could happen naturally you moron! what?! you think that the planet cant have anything bad happen to it!? Nature is far more destructive than man! Where have you gotten this idea that we are causing it anyway? somebody told you? Probably.. There is no concrete evidence to prove that we are causing global warming, and there is a hell of a lot of evidence pointing to the contrary. Just jump on the politically correct self blaming, the earth is gonna die if we dont recycle our aerosols, bandwagon and dont bother to look science in the face...(will continue rant later.. right now im off to burn a coal fire and leave my telly on standby while i wash my clothes at a high temperature and spray some deodorant on..)

Wow. First of all, you obviously didn't read my whole post, because I clearly stated that nature could cause this, but not at such a fast rate, and not as much as it is. Second of all, there is concrete evidence, and plenty of it. Try watching an Inconvenient Truth, maybe it'll put some sense into that 6 year old brain of yours. He shows multiple graphs with the C02 levels in the atmosphere, and the amount they have inceased in the last 5 years or so. Not to mention, theres loads of glaciers that have extremely decreased in size, or completely melted all away, mostly all in the past 5 years or so. It's happening because of us, and there is a multitude of evidence that says so. Like I said before, watch the movie an Inconvenient Truth, because yes, somebody did tell me, and he happens to be Al Gore. Ya. What now?

Go shove your head in a toilet.

Err... did his post just disappear?... :-s

whatever... -.-

I have watched it.. However, im not going to let my opinion get based on a single movie. Global warming is not caused by us..we are not contributing in a significant way. There is very little conclusive evidence based on independant and non-biased data that says it is our fault. the earths temperature has fluctuated wildly before, and we werent even on the planet then. We just happen to be here when it is happening again. The glaciers werent always there you know.. earth does change, and theres nothing we can do about it.

I have to completely disagree with you on this (once again... <.< ). You say taht the earths temperature has fluctuated wildly before? Well, as far as I can see, yes, it has fluctuated, but not wildly, and what's going on now is almost twice as bad as it has ever been. And you keep saying there is very little conclusive evidence that says its our fault? Stop trying to just use big words, and think you'll confuse people or something. There is loads of evidence. Just type in "evidence of global warming" on google, and I'm sure you'll come up with multiple scholarly and credible websites, stating the evidence that there is that global warming is mostly our fault. Yes, Earth does change, but we're also aiding the changing of the Earth way too much, and we can do something about it. Shut your yap and do some research. The Earth's temperature has never fluctuated anywere near the level it is now. And you say glaciers have melted before? Well, some of them have, but has the Arctic melted before? Has half of Greenland melted before? Has part of Antarctica melted before? Yes, glaciers in the middle of the northern hemisphere have, but not at the north and south poles. Nuff said.

Everyone who says its caused naturally should go shove their head in the toilet. Do you think its some coincidence that the CO2 levels are all of a sudden way higher than they have ever been now, and that Antartica, the Arctic, and Greenland are pretty much melting away as we speak?... Yes, it would happen naturally, but not this much, and definitely not this fast. People need to smart up (especially us Americans, driving around in our gas-guzzling SUV's all the time, and polluting the air like theres no tomorrow), and start to use alternative energy solutions, buy cleaner cars, not use as much energy, and some of the other things that he mentioned in An Inconvenient Truth. Sheesh.

You should go shove your head in a toilet.. Maybe the bacteria in it might crawl inside your head and act as a brain..

Of course it could happen naturally you moron! what?! you think that the planet cant have anything bad happen to it!? Nature is far more destructive than man! Where have you gotten this idea that we are causing it anyway? somebody told you? Probably.. There is no concrete evidence to prove that we are causing global warming, and there is a hell of a lot of evidence pointing to the contrary. Just jump on the politically correct self blaming, the earth is gonna die if we dont recycle our aerosols, bandwagon and dont bother to look science in the face...(will continue rant later.. right now im off to burn a coal fire and leave my telly on standby while i wash my clothes at a high temperature and spray some deodorant on..)

Wow. First of all, you obviously didn't read my whole post, because I clearly stated that nature could cause this, but not at such a fast rate, and not as much as it is. Second of all, there is concrete evidence, and plenty of it. Try watching an Inconvenient Truth, maybe it'll put some sense into that 6 year old brain of yours. He shows multiple graphs with the C02 levels in the atmosphere, and the amount they have inceased in the last 5 years or so. Not to mention, theres loads of glaciers that have extremely decreased in size, or completely melted all away, mostly all in the past 5 years or so. It's happening because of us, and there is a multitude of evidence that says so. Like I said before, watch the movie an Inconvenient Truth, because yes, somebody did tell me, and he happens to be Al Gore. Ya. What now?

whatever... -.-

I have watched it.. However, im not going to let my opinion get based on a single movie. Global warming is not caused by us..we are not contributing in a significant way. There is very little conclusive evidence based on independant and non-biased data that says it is our fault. the earths temperature has fluctuated wildly before, and we werent even on the planet then. We just happen to be here when it is happening again. The glaciers werent always there you know.. earth does change, and theres nothing we can do about it.

I have to completely disagree with you on this (once again... <.< ). You say taht the earths temperature has fluctuated wildly before? Well, as far as I can see, yes, it has fluctuated, but not wildly, and what's going on now is almost twice as bad as it has ever been. And you keep saying there is very little conclusive evidence that says its our fault? Stop trying to just use big words, and think you'll confuse people or something. There is loads of evidence. Just type in "evidence of global warming" on google, and I'm sure you'll come up with multiple scholarly and credible websites, stating the evidence that there is that global warming is mostly our fault. Yes, Earth does change, but we're also aiding the changing of the Earth way too much, and we can do something about it. Shut your yap and do some research. The Earth's temperature has never fluctuated anywere near the level it is now. And you say glaciers have melted before? Well, some of them have, but has the Arctic melted before? Has half of Greenland melted before? Has part of Antarctica melted before? Yes, glaciers in the middle of the northern hemisphere have, but not at the north and south poles. Nuff said.

ok give me proof the glaciers have never melted

give me proof that the earths temperature has never changed wildly

New Sig Coming soon!

I have a very simple way of looking at this issue. We will run out of non-renewables. Ween ourselves away from them and switch to something else, which, coincidently, will be much more eco-friendly.

And as for people exaggerating and saying it's mostly our fault, where's the gain in that? I've heard one reason before, but what do you think the gain would be from making such a claim? Note I'm not saying we definately are the cause or are definately not.

It doesn't matter to me. I'll be dead by the time anything happens, that is if anything happens.

I hope you never have a family with that attitude.

OK Mr Righteous. What do you do to reduce your *brace yourself for a cringing politically correct phrase* carbon footprint?

Smeg the environment, I'm just saying that attitude sucks. Apply it to any situation, it's an ignorant and selfish stance to have. Most of our life is spent preparing for the future, and it's up to us to ensure a future will exist. No-one else is going to do it.

I'm not saying this in terms directly to the environment, I personally don't know what the hell to believe global warming wise, but man, I hate how people can seriously think like that. If everyone did, he wouldn't even be here to think it.

I'm only 14, why would I care about having a family at this age? I don't even plan on marrying until I'm around 30 or more years old. I worry about what's happening now. I don't worry about the future, but today. (not in the sence if I had sex with someone, and they got pregnent, that's a different story).

And why would you not hope I have a family? That sounds like you're just being a hateful person.

whatever... -.-

Ugh, this is gonna go on forever... Look, before responding, would you please read my post? I did not say that glaciers have never melted. I said that glaciers have never melted this much before. And the Earth's temperature has changed *sort of* wildly, but nothing like what it is right now. And just for the record-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Carb ... 400kyr.png

-For all you people who think that the CO2 levels aren't rising, look at that, it's a graph of the C02 levels in the atmosphere since 400 thousand years ago, and I think you'll notice that its a lot more than it's ever been.

And also, I'm not coming back to this post just because I know people are gonna be flaming me constantly, and I'm getting kind of tired of it. Anyways, have fun thinking its all a conspiracy while the ice caps melt and the whole world floods. Bye now! :mrgreen:

For the love of God, stop posting links from Wikipedia and call it evidence!

Find a LEGITIMATE site or scholarly article!

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

whatever... -.-

Ugh, this is gonna go on forever... Look, before responding, would you please read my post? I did not say that glaciers have never melted. I said that glaciers have never melted this much before. And the Earth's temperature has changed *sort of* wildly, but nothing like what it is right now. And just for the record-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Carb ... 400kyr.png

-For all you people who think that the CO2 levels aren't rising, look at that, it's a graph of the C02 levels in the atmosphere since 400 thousand years ago, and I think you'll notice that its a lot more than it's ever been.

And also, I'm not coming back to this post just because I know people are gonna be flaming me constantly, and I'm getting kind of tired of it. Anyways, have fun thinking its all a conspiracy while the ice caps melt and the whole world floods. Bye now! :mrgreen:

im not flaming you

its called debate

also i meant completely melted

also were does the info on that graph come from

im pretty sure there was no one recording temperature 400 thousand years ago

so that means its only a theory because it cant be proven

unless someone invents a time machine in the near future

im not worried about the ocean flooding

im up high enough so it wont reach my

im just worried about the heat

I WANT MY SNOW BACK!!!

New Sig Coming soon!

Global Warming is fooey. When you consider just how much impact our pollution actually matters on this planet, you would realize it's nothing but propaganda. Mankind emits less than 1% of all greenhouse emissions in the world (even the environmentalists will exagerate that to less than 4%).

By the way, I think it's funny that the liberal Congress just shot down a bill proposed by the President that would expand green fuels and clean energy for cars.

Apparently, they want the Democrats to make such breakthroughs and garner the attention. So when you get sick of pollution and high gas prices, blame your congress. The President actually tried to fix it.

I'm not entirely postive on your statistics there, and i'd just like to clarify the source...because i what i'd like to consider is that where would all the other carbon come from...not much comes from exhaling, etc...

What bill was that btw? That's odd that congress would shut down a bill like that and I didn't hear about it. hm.

My personal opinion is that Huge ginormous cars are pretty unncessary for even the most rigorous of suburbia, and i think that the feeling people like to be taller than everyone else could be sacrificed for some Gas millage restrictions and some car size restrictions for the Gas Guzzlers...hm.

I feel like i'm a preeety open minded person, and i can really understand how people would believe its natural, but even if its not, and no way in the world will your opinion change, does it hurt to cut back on pollution? I don't think it takes tooo much effort to do it, and hypothetically if it is natural, it'll help us in the long run if it happens "for real" :P

For the love of God, stop posting links from Wikipedia and call it evidence!

Find a LEGITIMATE site or scholarly article!

unfortunately you'd be hard pressed to find one you can completely trust on the internet..

Tk5SF.png

Global climate change is already happening; it doesn't matter why.

If we did cause it, it's too late to stop it now. (FYI, I strongly believe it's our fault, but who really cares.)

If it's happening naturally, we can't stop it anyway.

All we can do is prepare for its effects.

- Alternative energy generation

Nuclear power is great. (ironically, it's a very "green" power source, and its biggest opposition comes from ignorant hippies). We should build more plants. Solar and wind are great, too - they're great for supplementing generation, but contrary to Greenpeace's assertions, they aren't large scale, reliable, or stable enough to be the sole suppliers of our energy.

A combination of nuclear, fossil, solar, wind, and hydro (basically energy wherever we can get it) is what we need in the next century. Lowering carbon emissions is nice, but the idea is to diversify our energy generation so we'll always have it available.

Modern agriculture is extremely energy intensive. What happens when farmlands are affected by drought?

The world is changing, and resources are dwindling. More energy can only help us better adapt to those changes.

Which brings us to...

- Energy conservation

Global warming or not, SUV drivers are [wagon].

Petroleum is a wonderful thing; it's quite the concentrated, easily stored, easily utilized form of energy. How convenient for us that dinosaurs soaked up the sun's energy, and thoughtfully died and melted for us, trapping the sun's energy in their liquid remains.

This magic dino-liquid fuels all our newfangled internal combustion engines and is the backbone of our transportation and agriculture.

Ohcrap, we're running out of dino-juice.

It's not just a question of energy, it's a question about how that energy is stored. We just don't have anything as convenient as the dinojuice. And guess what? Here we have slack jawed cell phone yakkers driving around in their Hummer H3s.

Oh, and evil bad guys with beards and turbans and bombs control the world's supply of magic dino-juice, so that's why we have to liberate them but that's not going so well because of the liberal press so we may have to cut and run leaving evil bomb turban bad guys with control over magic dino juice.

The solution here is twofold.

First, we have to cut down on petroleum use, and hard. Or it'll be that much more painful when we have no choice, because there just isn't any more.

Mandatory taxes on gas. Mandatory efficiency requirements. Incentives on shared transportation. Subsidies on public transport.

And second, find another way to fuel transportation. We may generate energy in a nuclear plant, but how do we get it into the car? In our present state, we don't. The car's energy comes from dead dinosaurs, remember?

We are working on ways around that, with things like more effective batteries, or a hydrogen economy. Then we'll be creating our own energy.

That is energy independance. Not depending on dead dinosaurs buried under crazy bearded guys to make our cars go.

- Intensified weather

Climate change will be marked by extremes in weather patterns. It's not just "global warming" - it will be both hotter and colder, with more extreme variations. It will be more storms, tornados, and hurricanes.

There's really nothing you can do about that, just be prepared to repair the damage, and mitigate it for next time.

Build stronger buildings (hurricane resistant buildings on the coast, sufficient levees, etc.), and have a proper response plan in place.

- Sea level rising

Sorry coasters, you're screwed. Unless we suddenly had endless resources, and sci-fil technology and energy generation, you're not moving a city or building a wall that will protect such a large area.

Really, there's nothing I can think of to counter this. Just evacuate where you need to, and build barriers wherever you can. Sucks, but what can you do?

- Agriculture

As mentioned above, modern agriculture is heavily dependant on fossil fuels (or machines powered by fossil fuels). Even more important is distrubution, which is also the work of trucks powered by fossil fuels.

Climate change will also hit farming hard. Not all places will necessarily experience drought... It's the unpredictability of the weather, like extremes in heat and cold and seasons, storms destroying your crops, etc.

In America and other first world countries, we can at least try to counter these effects, if we've been following my above suggestions.

- Extra energy to irrigate drought affected land

- Electric or hydrogen economy to fuel agriculture/food distribution

- Technology to predict changing weather patterns, giving you more time to react

- Genetic technology to engineer strains more resistant to variations in temperature, changing conditions, etc.

Third world countries depending on a mule and hack-n-slash farming are screwed. Sorry.

In conclusion, Global warming = a lot of people are screwed. If you're posting here, you're likely among the group that will potentially be far less screwed, as long as certain people in power play it smart.

Oh and the far less screwed people have all the guns, so the screwed people can't do jack.

And us American less screwed people have two oceans to protect us from the totally screwed people without boats.

What?

Well here is my opinion on the matter.

We all want to know the Truth about Gobal Warming. Is it happening through humans? Or is it happening through nature?

Personally I believe it is happening through humans. As humans, we can calculate things with accuracy. However, we tend to forget to calculate everything!

If we could caculate everything that would take effect, then we would have no problem finding the truth. However, we cannot calculate everything, not everything gets brought into calculation, so it leaves theories in its place, un-answered questions.

This brings forth 2 sides or supporters and a debate is ensued. However since no one really knows the answer, otherwise 99% of the world would say its fact.. we all argue on it inevitably.

However, we all know arguing on the issue is pointless. The truth is, what are we going to do about it?

From what I know, there is tons of man made chemicals. Millions of them! These are not natural, and so they effect the earth in unnatural ways.

This is what shocks me. Some people on here claim that being selfish is the best way to go in life, such as let the weaker people die. This is completely unintelligent and unwise people.

Lets just pretend for 1 moment, it is those man made chemicals that are causing the earth to deteriorate.

Who made the Chemicals?

Big Coperations..

And are Big Coperations all for living a life of giving and love?

Wait.. of course they are! In its their ads all the time how much they care about you.. as long as you have a Benjamin with you while your being loved.

Have you noticed that when companies or corperations.. that when they are greedy.. they get tons of benifiets, but it hurts everyone else? And even the environment?

Greed's end result is suffering. So why you can continue to believe that its greed that will lead us to victory, I deny such. To finish off my post, I'll leave a parable.

Once there was a man.. who went to hell while he was in his sleep. In hell, he saw a long table, with people all around it. Infront of the people was a HUGE feast and everyone had a plate to eat! However, the people's hands were long knifes and forks and they could not reach down to grab the food because their hands were to long. They complained and argued and was starving half to death!

Then, the man went to heaven, thinking, "well, maybe heaven will be better! It has to be". Instead, he saw the excate same thing! People had knives and forks as hands and were unable to eat the feast that was set before them.

So, which path did the man choose to go?

He chose Heaven, because in Heaven, they share.

~Defender~

If you love me, send me a PM.

8 - Love me

2 - Hate me

Alright, now that theres been lots (and lots and lots) of debate about this, I wanna post something I just found on NASA's web site. Legitimate enough for you?

http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a000000/a003300/a003307/index.html

Theres the link

STILLco2.0330_web.png

This graph shows 3 things:

Ice Cores dating to 400,000 years ago, and the relative amount of fluctuations. Don't be stupid enough to look at that and argue "well, it hasnt changed much in the past 2000 years" cause we've had enough pointless comments on here already. Notice the amount of fluctuation, and the number of parts per million.

Next, see the generally stabe past 2000 years, probably about as much fluctuation as normal.

Then, the industrial revolution starts. Up goes the number of parts per million, and now is at an incredible level, promising to only go up further.

Okay. The level of C02 in the atmosphere is jumping at what I would say is an unnatuarl rate, considering nature's changes always seem to be gradual. I think it's obvious that humans are causing such an extreme, and dangerous jump in C02 gases.

Whether that has something to do with temperature is an argueable point. I know that in An Inconvinient Truth, he showed a graph of temperature that they said they gathered from ice cores as well. I don't have time to find a scientific page of that at the moment, but I will try to find it.

Regardless of anything else, the fact is that humans are having an effect on the environment, and with the amount of C02 in the atmosphere, that can't be good for our health anyway, can it?

dragonmdefault,britrockdude.gif

Main Goal; To have all skills 50+

My avatar is: The Shins- Oh Inverted World

Alright, now that theres been lots (and lots and lots) of debate about this, I wanna post something I just found on NASA's web site. Legitimate enough for you?

http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/vis/a000000/a003300/a003307/index.html

Theres the link

STILLco2.0330_web.png

This graph shows 3 things:

Ice Cores dating to 400,000 years ago, and the relative amount of fluctuations. Don't be stupid enough to look at that and argue "well, it hasnt changed much in the past 2000 years" cause we've had enough pointless comments on here already. Notice the amount of fluctuation, and the number of parts per million.

Next, see the generally stabe past 2000 years, probably about as much fluctuation as normal.

Then, the industrial revolution starts. Up goes the number of parts per million, and now is at an incredible level, promising to only go up further.

Okay. The level of C02 in the atmosphere is jumping at what I would say is an unnatuarl rate, considering nature's changes always seem to be gradual. I think it's obvious that humans are causing such an extreme, and dangerous jump in C02 gases.

Whether that has something to do with temperature is an argueable point. I know that in An Inconvinient Truth, he showed a graph of temperature that they said they gathered from ice cores as well. I don't have time to find a scientific page of that at the moment, but I will try to find it.

Regardless of anything else, the fact is that humans are having an effect on the environment, and with the amount of C02 in the atmosphere, that can't be good for our health anyway, can it?

Nope, toxic gas in high amounts. Here's a useless bit of information - a partial pressure (look up Dalton's law of partial pressures if you're curious) of 15 mm Hg (millimeters of mercury; I'm not even going to attempt to explain that, so just know that 760mm Hg is standatrd atmospheric pressure) of carbon dioxide is borderline toxic. To anyone who knows the source of this interesting info I will be EXTREMELY impressed, and you will get a cookie :P (and no, it's not from wikipedia. Infact, to help you out if you're at all interested, it's not an online source at all).

Its happened before, it will happen again, its not our fault and theres not a lot we can do about it.

Thats what i think anyway.

How can you think that.

Don't be a moron!

Not our fault?

smokestacks%202%20.gif

voc_pollution_sm.jpg

car-exhaust.jpg

of course its our fault. Humans are the source of all pollution man.

there are so many ways we could put an end to it. Some more drastic than others, but get on your bike, ride public transit, quit farting. you know.

[combat level: 124][skill total: 1,800+][quest points: 260][Mining: ??]

guthan.gifgoodol.gif

AFTER 8 YEARS OF PLAYING - PERM BANNED

neocrosby.png

Go Vegan!

Its happened before, it will happen again, its not our fault and theres not a lot we can do about it.

Thats what i think anyway.

How can you think that.

Don't be a moron!

Not our fault?

smokestacks%202%20.gif

voc_pollution_sm.jpg

car-exhaust.jpg

of course its our fault. Humans are the source of all pollution man.

there are so many ways we could put an end to it. Some more drastic than others, but get on your bike, ride public transit, quit farting. you know.

Posting those pictures doesnt prove a thing. Look I can do it too!

nature-scenery.jpg

Looks clean to me right? :roll:

The debate isnt weather or not we emit gases, the debate is do those gases cause global warming.

lope6jw0.jpg

Grr.

I notice a few of you 'humans are responsible' fools have completely missed the link to the source I gave you.

Well, then I'll bring it to you.

In more recent history there has been: a mini ice age in the seventeenth century when the Thames froze so solidly that fairs could regularly be held on the ice; a Medieval Warm Period, even balmier than today; and sunnier still was the so-called Holocene Maximum, which was the warmest period in the last 10,000 years.

So then. Temperature has fluctuated massively throughout the last few thousand years. I'm sure you've heard of the mini ice age, where temperatures got so low around Europe, that the Thames froze over. That's never happened again in recorded history. And there was this Medieval Warm Period too, where Europe was so warm, you could grow grapes in Northern England. Certainely can't do that today, but wait a second, I thought the Earth was really warm nowadays?

Those who think global warming is a natural process point to the fact that in the last 10,000 years, the warmest periods have happened well before humans started to produce large amounts of carbon dioxide.

And THAT is the truth. Explain it, please. I'll laugh at your attempts to argue against it. The fact is, Carbon emissions only really became serious on a worldwide scale after the Second World War, in America's economic boom. And yet, the global temperature decreased during this period, strange isn't it?

A detailed look at recent climate change reveals that the temperature rose prior to 1940 but unexpectedly dropped in the post-war economic boom, when carbon dioxide emissions rose dramatically.

There is some evidence to suggest that the rise in carbon dioxide lags behind the temperature rise by 800 years and therefore can't be the cause of it.

Greenhouse gases trap heat from the sun within the earth's atmosphere. This is the greenhouse effect. Traditional models predict that increasing concentrations of greenhouse gases lead to runaway heating.

If greenhouse warming were happening, then scientists predict that the troposphere (the layer of the earth's atmosphere roughly 10-15km above us) should heat up faster than the surface of the planet, but data collected from satellites and weather balloons doesn't seem to support this.

For some people, the final nail in the coffin of human-produced greenhouse gas theories is the fact that carbon dioxide is produced in far larger quantities by many natural means: human emissions are miniscule in comparison. Volcanic emissions and carbon dioxide from animals, bacteria, decaying vegetation and the ocean outweigh our own production several times over.

THIS I believe, is the real reason for Global warming. It is completely natural, and there is NOTHING we can do to stop it.

New evidence shows that that as the radiation coming from the sun varies (and sun-spot activity is one way of monitoring this) the earth seems to heat up or cool down. Solar activity very precisely matches the plot of temperature change over the last 100 years. It correlates well with the anomalous post-war temperature dip, when global carbon dioxide levels were rising.

And PLEASE don't quote this entire post when you reply with stuff like 'Yeah but Al Gore does gone said my car are bad coz it does go and makes lots of smokeys'. It's a real pain to scroll through an argument when half the text on the page is unnecessary quoting from lazy posters.

supernovasigst7.jpg

For some people, the final nail in the coffin of human-produced greenhouse gas theories is the fact that carbon dioxide is produced in far larger quantities by many natural means: human emissions are miniscule in comparison. Volcanic emissions and carbon dioxide from animals, bacteria, decaying vegetation and the ocean outweigh our own production several times over.

i don't have a lot of time, but i'll just comment on what you really think the cause is, this, i think is what you said.

Now, when you say this...doesn't it seem odd to you that just recently, more volcanoes have erupted, more carbon dioxide has gotten released from animals (and um, plants take that back in, so those two kind of cancel out), more vegetation has suddenly decayed, and whatnot...

I dunno, seems slightly off to me. I don't necessarly think the point that "we don't release that much" is not really a valid point. So what if we don't release a lot, we've released more than ever and that 1 or 2% more isn't like a small amount, it's incredibly huge.

I'd rebut some of the other points, but don't have the time now...and i'm feeling procrastinaty :P

but just for curiousity's sake, what's the source you used for this information?

Pompey for goodness sake. That article you posted doesn't recognise the Ice Core samples with recent data in them. If you would be so kind, please look at the graph from NASA that I posted, I don't care what your site says.

In the past 400,000 years, the C02 had not been above 300 parts per million, but now it's nearing 400 ppm in the space of 200 years.

I'm still anylising temperature records they got from the ice cores, I'm not fully convinced about the C02-temperature correlation, but if you look at the graph and think there's more C02 by natural means, then you're fooling yourself.

dragonmdefault,britrockdude.gif

Main Goal; To have all skills 50+

My avatar is: The Shins- Oh Inverted World

The earth is like a baby. Now if you had a baby, and that baby got a fever, you would take it to the doctor. Now, if the doctor said "You need to intervene", you wouldn't reply "I read a science-fiction novel that says it's not true".

The world has a fever. And we need to intervene.

Well that's a good way of putting it. And what about future generations?

C2b6gs7.png