Windows XP to be discontinued in early 2008

Talal28

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

XP Pro is fine for me. I'm probably going to stay with it until I get used to Xandros and Ubuntu. Not much I can see good about Vista

I am checking whats so good about vista.. I know theres better security.. But you need alot of ram.. Ive heard you need at least 2gig of ram for nonlaggy gaming.

Talal28.png

I don't get what everyone is upset with windows for this, its expected. I never saw anyone mad when Apple discontinued OS9. The only thing they are doing is phasing out the sales of XP, not stopping the updates/support.

Well, im no mac user but im guessing that when they discontinued OS9 the newest OS was actually good. Windows vista is a plague, it sucks the life from your computer and its annoying. I barely used it and i hated it, only one thing good about it that i found. If i ever have to upgrade, instead of booting into windows i will just boot ubuntu linux which is already installed on my computer. :shock: Linux is great, but the lack of gaming wouldnt be so fun.. luckally i dont play too many games on my pc..

I also heard something about Dell having linux as the OS for their computers in the future, im not sure if this is true or not but i hope so. That would seriously slap microsoft in the face hardcore. If someday linux can play games without using a program to boot into windows to play them, i will fully use linux and never have to see microsoft.

I also heard something about Dell having linux as the OS for their computers in the future, im not sure if this is true or not but i hope so. That would seriously slap microsoft in the face hardcore. If someday linux can play games without using a program to boot into windows to play them, i will fully use linux and never have to see microsoft.

Dell is flirting with pre-loading Ubuntu on some of their models. It isn't replacing Windows in any shape or form. Its just being brought in as another choice for consumers. There are also quite a few games that run natively on Linux or under WINE.

your link is broken, so I`m not going to bother reading all of that. Anyway..

Dell is still selling machines with XP on them.

update: Dell is bringing XP back.

Amid significant customer demand, the computer maker said on Thursday that it has returned to offering the older Windows version as an option on some of its consumer PCs.

Like most computer makers, Dell switched nearly entirely to Vista-based systems following Microsoft's mainstream launch of the operating system in January. However, the company said its customers have been asking for XP as part of its IdeaStorm project, which asks customers to help the company come up with product ideas.

Dell is still selling pcs with XP on them, giving consumers a choice as to what operating system they deem needed.

Will this go on forever? Probably not, but people are concerned about buying pcs that rely too heavily on expensive new hardware.. Microsoft claims that any pc bought in the last (approx) 2-3 years will run Vista just fine.

I realize this 'update' is not very new, (4/19) but it`s more reliable than a broken link and there are going to be continuous updates about this topic.

Article:

http://news.com.com/Dell+brings+back+XP ... 77619.html

4t9nek4.jpg4t8yiv6.png

gleeper_owns.png

OMG I know! And if I ever get a better computer it will have Windows XP. They should seriously rethink their strategy here... Windows XP still is a good operation system. If they discontinue it, they should have at least rebates if you bring in your old system and buy a new one. And I have Windows 98....

Look here to find the microsoft product lifecycle page: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifeselectwin

And you guys are jumping the gun a bit.. Support will end in 2009 and full support will end in 2014...

j0xPu5R.png

IMO, pcs are called short form for personnal computer, but I really beleif in a work enviroment, vista>xp, but with teenagers to anyone not in an office Xp>vista. I'm in desperate need of a new computer, I've had the one I'm on atm for about 7 years i think, its very out-dated, activeX won't even dl on it anymore(i did everythign i can do then went to futureshop and some guy said my comp was outdated-.-).

Knowing that vista is a huge flop, really kills me, i'm gonna have to put up with 10-15 20 minute laggs a day until microsoft gets some sense and re-thinks who their customers are.

I wonder what bill gates thinks about vista>.>.

I'm just happy i can stay with Xp for another 7 years. :thumbsup:

Most people that say Vista sucks have not even used it for more than a day. It's really not that bad. The drivers are starting to mature and it's starting to become on par with the speed of XP.

Most of the hype applied to Vista sucking is people are just getting on the bandwagon and think it's "cool" to hate Vista.

Granted, it's not perfect, but nothing is when it comes out. The major changes they put into this version will be worth it by next year. I find Vista more stable than XP. Although I have tried the built in decompresser Cruiser was talking about and his results were close to mine, although 3rd party applications are no slower on Vista than XP.

Most of the problems people are having are with bad drivers which is not Vista's fault, it's the company that makes the product. These companies knew about Vista a long time before it came out to the public, they should have started on drivers then.

Another thing people are complaining is "it will not run on my 5 year old machine". Well really, if you don't have something newer than that, don't expect it to run, thats like asking my P3 to run Doom3, it's not going to happen.

In 2 years when Vista becomes more mainstream those system requirements will be minimal.

My rant is over for tonight. =D>

goldenblade995.png

thats like asking my P3 to run Doom3, it's not going to happen.

Off topic:

Its been done :wink:

Doom3? Did it have playable framerates? Like over 25-30fps.

I stand corrected :)

goldenblade995.png

• 2 weeks later...
IMO, pcs are called short form for personnal computer, but I really beleif in a work enviroment, vista>xp, but with teenagers to anyone not in an office Xp>vista. I'm in desperate need of a new computer, I've had the one I'm on atm for about 7 years i think, its very out-dated, activeX won't even dl on it anymore(i did everythign i can do then went to futureshop and some guy said my comp was outdated-.-).

Knowing that vista is a huge flop, really kills me, i'm gonna have to put up with 10-15 20 minute laggs a day until microsoft gets some sense and re-thinks who their customers are.

I wonder what bill gates thinks about vista>.>.

I'm just happy i can stay with Xp for another 7 years. :thumbsup:

Me too, but im thinking of getting vista this summer, b/c the PC im using right now is about.. 8 years old. I guess its time to put it to rest :cry: . :P

It laggs on everything, uploading images, and multitasking.

Talal28.png

vista will get cheaper some day... im fine now with my windows 98se ;P

when i got money to build me a new pc i might think of vista... but im not gona pay 200 euros for a cd "windows vista home premium" yet... :roll:

runeminermb1.gif

^^ click my sig for my lesser ranging guide ^^

jwrm22: 4816th > 99 cooking 100% f2p !1172 total! + 140mil in items.

i dont play anymore... i think rs is ruined

i used the vista os at bestbuy the other day, and i hated it..

i think microsoft is making a bad choice with this..

They could be making a bad choice, but eh.. Not our loss.. When I used Vista at Circuit City a few days ago I felt .. dumb. It is soo different. <.< Pretty hard to find were some things were.

Talal28.png

I wonder if Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs would actually be mass-produced soon before they take out xp.

Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs ("WinFLP") is an operating system from Microsoft, based on Windows XP, but optimized for older, less powerful hardware. It was released on July 8, 2006

Minimum system requirements

Pentium class processor 233 MHz (300 MHz recommended)

64 MB RAM (128 MB recommended)

500 MB HDD (1 GB recommended)

800x600 or higher display resolution

10 Mbit/s Network card

Windowsflp.png

Hmm...I was thinking of buying a Vista, but after trying to do some things on my friend's Vista, I changed my mind and won't get it just yet. :XD:

One question...people suggest to get at least 2GB of RAM in order to run Vista without major lag when running big programs - games for example. If this is so, would 1GB or DDR2 RAM be enough? Or are they saying that I need 2GB of DDR2 RAM in order to run Vista smootly when running programs? If they mean this, then :ohnoes:.

For now, I'll stick with my Xp :P

halo2sigcj2.png

Thanks Jason321 for the sig!^

Proud to have served the Tip.it Crew

Drops: 2x D Chain, 1x D Legs, 2x D Left Half, 1x D spear, 2x D med (monsters), 5x D Med (Barrows), 4x D Axe, 2x Zerker, Abyssal whip x1, 7x D Boots

Barrows items: 55 (not counting the meds)

Hmm...I was thinking of buying a Vista, but after trying to do some things on my friend's Vista, I changed my mind and won't get it just yet. :XD:

One question...people suggest to get at least 2GB of RAM in order to run Vista without major lag when running big programs - games for example. If this is so, would 1GB or DDR2 RAM be enough? Or are they saying that I need 2GB of DDR2 RAM in order to run Vista smootly when running programs? If they mean this, then :ohnoes:.

You can get by with using Vista with 1gb of ram for normal use. 2GB is suggested for any type of gaming, or high end programs such as photoshop ect.

goldenblade995.png

You can get by with using Vista with 1gb of ram for normal use. 2GB is suggested for any type of gaming, or high end programs such as photoshop ect.

I might get 2 gigs, im not going to do anything big like a huge game, but I never know when I find a nice game for not too much money :-w

Talal28.png

You guys are jumping the gun on this. Mainstream support for XP doesn't end until 2009. The 2008 date is just the official end of OEM and retail sales of XP, not support. After that 2009 date XP will still be supported by security updates until 2014.

Right now, Vista is a major flop, but nothing is forcing you to upgrade to it and nothing will do so until 2014 when support officially drops. This date has been known for at least 6 months now, if not a year or more. Even after 2014, you are not required to upgrade, MS just says 'sorry, can't help you' after that date.

That's a relief!!!!

Think of it this way, in 7 years they might have released an OS that is Vista and without all the resource whoring :D

Microsoft is already planning on a new OS by 2009. It's supposed to be rebuilt from the ground up from what I hear. Link --> http://www.windowsvienna.com/

Pixeloaded.jpg