Windows XP to be discontinued in early 2008

Talal28

Anyone bother to read the article?

They're planning on phasing out shipping new computers with a (by then) 6 year old operating system on them. Is this really an issue? New PCs built now are more than capable of running Vista, I doubt that any built a year from now will have much of a problem with it. And it's not like you can't put XP on them if you prefer.

What a storm in a teacup.

Microsoft also likes to phase out support for OS they no longer ship. And if I had a new computer now, I would not appretiate a fair chunk of my system performance running the OS.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are jumping the gun on this. Mainstream support for XP doesn't end until 2009. The 2008 date is just the official end of OEM and retail sales of XP, not support. After that 2009 date XP will still be supported by security updates until 2014.

Right now, Vista is a major flop, but nothing is forcing you to upgrade to it and nothing will do so until 2014 when support officially drops. This date has been known for at least 6 months now, if not a year or more. Even after 2014, you are not required to upgrade, MS just says 'sorry, can't help you' after that date.

Everything I've seen from Vista simple doesn't justify upgrading at this time. I plan on switching to Mac with my next computer unless I see something spectacular from Vista in the next 6 months or so (when I say spectacular I mean a few great features that weren't already incorporated into the last release of OS X). I've wanted to switch for ages and this is just the final display of Microsoft's arrogance to their customers' needs that pushed me over the edge.

thats ok in the next 2week im making the full switch off of windows and onto ubuntu or fedora, not sure which it, mostlikly ubuntu

a91e22ec.gif
Aefx(started 11/1/2002) Cb: 200 TS: 1900+
Bmms--Jr(Started on 1/24/06)(Banned 11/13/09 ) Cb: 119(pre-eoc) TS: 1700+
Bmms(Started 8/?/2001)(Banned 1/24/06 ) Cb: 101(pre-eoc) TS: 1350+

Of course Microsoft would make a move to sell Vista, why waste resources on what they deem to be an outdated OS? A year from now should be long enough to release a service pack or two and get the major bugs fixed that are getting Dell and other guys butthurt.

You're right, it does make sense for them to want to discontinue an outdated OS but there are going to be people who don't want to switch to Vista. That means Microsoft is going to lose customers. Apple and Linux should be happy.

i like Vista and linux, Vista has some good and bad points and so does linux, but overall linux is better but what do you except vista just came out its not 100% fixed, just wait about 1 year it'll get better trust me..

Snakebite420.png

I use both xp and vista (and ubuntu), and can say that other than appearances, theyre pretty much identical. Of course, you have the little things, such as the sidebar (pointless?), the win key + tab, "improved security (its more a pain in the [wagon]), and so on.

So, in my opinion, if you want it, go for it. if not, xp is fine.

boratto.jpg

...and can say that other than appearances, theyre pretty much identical.

Except for the fact it takes Vista 5+ minutes to decompress a 1.2mb zip file where XP takes seconds, Vista's copying/cutting/pasting takes forever and a day, hardware requirements have doubled and UAC is a steaming pile of junk that will drive even the hardcore Windows user insane (I turned it off 15 minutes into configuring stuff after what felt like a couple hundred 'ok' prompts). The only advantage I have found with Vista over the 5 other XP machines in my house has been that it boots slightly faster from a cold start than the others, which doesn't amount to much.

I'd rather spend another $80 downgrading the new Core2 laptop we got to XP just so file functions are usable again. Horridly slow transfer rates when you're dealing with multiple gigabyte sets of pictures are not a good thing.

...and can say that other than appearances, theyre pretty much identical.

Except for the fact it takes Vista 5+ minutes to decompress a 1.2mb zip file where XP takes seconds, Vista's copying/cutting/pasting takes forever and a day, hardware requirements have doubled and UAC is a steaming pile of junk that will drive even the hardcore Windows user insane (I turned it off 15 minutes into configuring stuff after what felt like a couple hundred 'ok' prompts). The only advantage I have found with Vista over the 5 other XP machines in my house has been that it boots slightly faster from a cold start than the others, which doesn't amount to much.

I'd rather spend another $80 downgrading the new Core2 laptop we got to XP just so file functions are usable again. Horridly slow transfer rates when you're dealing with multiple gigabyte sets of pictures are not a good thing.

What decompresser are you using for these files? I use Winrar and I haven't noticed any speed decrease, although I never have used the built in one with Vista.

goldenblade995.png

What decompresser are you using for these files? I use Winrar and I haven't noticed any speed decrease, although I never have used the built in one with Vista.

Built in [de]compression tool. The only changes made so far have been turning UAC off, removing all the crapware, adding it to the network (after 4 hours of headaches and Vista deciding it would finally join it the next day) and installing FireFox. The hardware has already been tested and is all fine (first thing I do with a new machine).

I'll test WinRAR tomorrow when I get my hands on the machine again. I still doubt it's an isolated problem though, due to all the other posts of slow file functions I've seen scattered around the net.

Following up on the last post:

Test File: 1.19mb .zip file - made up of 6 text files totaling 3.81mb

XP Decompression tool - 4 seconds

WinRar on XP - 1 second

Vista Decompression tool - 28 seconds :-k

WinRar on Vista - ~1 second

Rather large step backwards from XP's built in zip tools. :uhh:

I'm supposed to have a free upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium from Future Shop, I'm going to see if I can still get it

Hmmm... thats pretty good.Just try it out but keep in mind that it might have problems.

Talal28.png

Cruiser, they ever offered support?

Huh? :-s

If you're somehow asking about me having to wait to get to the laptop again, I had to get back over to my dad's house today to use it. I posted on the 16th from my mom's house. :P

You guys are jumping the gun on this. Mainstream support for XP doesn't end until 2009. The 2008 date is just the official end of OEM and retail sales of XP, not support. After that 2009 date XP will still be supported by security updates until 2014.

Right now, Vista is a major flop, but nothing is forcing you to upgrade to it and nothing will do so until 2014 when support officially drops. This date has been known for at least 6 months now, if not a year or more. Even after 2014, you are not required to upgrade, MS just says 'sorry, can't help you' after that date.

That's a relief!!!!

RSN- Lemontail

Pure Ranger Name- X Kaprisen X

Lemontail.gif

Lemontail.gif

Click here for my 99 Mining and Cooking blog!

That's a relief!!!!

Think of it this way, in 7 years they might have released an OS that is Vista and without all the resource whoring :D

That's a relief!!!!

Think of it this way, in 7 years they might have released an OS that is Vista and without all the resource whoring :D

Yep. I wonder when that will happen.. :-k

Talal28.png

Aww.. jeez my comp is flat panel and not even a month old and its XP.

I hope we won't have to buy upgrades or a new computer itself!

I think many faces will look like the following, :evil:

Yep, many will be mad.

Talal28.png