Fate: Fact or False?

darkforaster

sure it's all well and good and it would be all great and happyfull if there were a force governing our very lives but i just don't think that's the case. I think the life of every person is strickly his/her responsibility not some omnipotent and omnitient gods or beings. And what the heck is up with the names of the final destination films! you can't have more than one final destination because the first one was the final one!!!!!!!

M<><><><><>E

<><><>

<>G<><><>R<>

<><><>

<><>A<>S<><>

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer making real choices, because frankly that's all that matters. I don't care if my horoscope says "this week will be a bad one for you financially" or "you will lose a close one", just keep going on about your business, very likely nothing will happen at all.

Unless you subconsciously believe that stuff and try to work towards being hit by a car etc. :?

Think about people who get in accidents in the first place like getting hit by a car: It's not fate, it's their choice. Say, if they left their house just 10 seconds later (dropped their keys and searched them, or something) the car would've already passed and nobody would've been hurt.

Or if somebody called them and they stopped walking for a while.. Or if you had a spur of the moment thing and changed the route to your destination.

They were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, like an ant that accidently gets crushed under your shoe. It's not 'fate', your presence is a sum of choices you made. (But you're free to believe what you want.)

fate doesn't decide what you DO but the CONSEQUECES of what you do. the car crash you mentioned might still occur, but with a different car. if your fortune said something like " you will be hit by a car" and it follows what fate intended. you stop, get your keys, finish talking. then walking out to cross the road then *wham* you're hit by a car.

Post modernism moment. It's all about what the individual perceives to be real. This is real for me through my eyes and the way I view the world to be. I personally believe what the mind conceives it achieves. The more I study the mind, the more I believe in that concept. It's a bloody powerful thing. Has anybody heard the quantum physics concept, law of attraction? I tested the theory and conquered everything I asked for. EVERYTHING. Quite scary really... So powerful. Thoughts are scary!

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

Post modernism moment. It's all about what the individual perceives to be real. This is real for me through my eyes and the way I view the world to be. I personally believe what the mind conceives it achieves. The more I study the mind, the more I believe in that concept. It's a bloody powerful thing. Has anybody heard the quantum physics concept, law of attraction? I tested the theory and conquered everything I asked for. EVERYTHING. Quite scary really... So powerful. Thoughts are scary!

It certainly is a powerful tool, the human mind. However I can't help but feel if the law of attraction wants proper credence (if it actually demands it, I'm not sure) it should choose what medium it portrays itself through more wisely. It would be taken more seriously as a science than a philosophy, if you get what I'm saying.

But hey, I could be wrong; it could actually have scientific journals written about it (enlighten me, someone). It's just from what I've seen - a TV program - it's all a self fulfilling psychological, philosophical prophecy. Be optimistic and you'll be happier; that part's easy, it's just the materialistic appeal that makes me doubt it's 'law' tagline (again, feel free to enlighten me on the issue, I'm no expert).

im arogant and wont listen to anyone else. i am allways right.

i refuse to get into an argument with you because its like talking to a brick wall

Well, good of you to take the high ground, by changing what someone has said to insult them...

i refuse to get into an argument with you because its like talking to a brick wall

I believe that I may be suffocating from such a pungent stench of irony eminating from that post.

Can you at least respond to my post? Ignoring death (if you will), do you believe we have free will to make choices during our lives?

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

That's against the rules and rather annoying. Either argue like a normal person without resorting to misquoting or just don't bother.

I believe in destiny. However, I think that it is always changing based on the actions you make every day. I think our destiny is what we are to make of our lives on this earth, and our fate is to die. Death is the ultimate fate, because there is no escaping it.

That's just how I would define the two.

Am I the only person thinking of the french dude from the Matrix?

There's only two universal truths - cause and effect. Action, reaction, etc.

Throws a bit of a spanner in there, as eventually if you want to think hard enough about it free will and fate land almost on the same page :-?

Am I the only person thinking of the french dude from the Matrix?

There's only two universal truths - cause and effect. Action, reaction, etc.

Throws a bit of a spanner in there, as eventually if you want to think hard enough about it free will and fate land almost on the same page :-?

Which is exactly what I've been saying :-w . Wasn't thinking of the french dude from the Matrix though (wait, who?).

If someone knew all the occurances in existence(sp?) in history and in the present, technically speaking they could predict everything that's going to happen in the future, without even seeing the future, and yet without infringeing on people's free will. In that way our future, or our "fate", is already known, but we still make the choices and have the free will to "make our own fate/destiny".

Hi Rick did you take the red pill or the blue pill

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

How do I recognise your name? :-k

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

How do I recognise your name? :-k

Probably because when I was younger and on these boards I had a huge mouth and quite frequently offended people and was banned :P

I took the Mel pill

haha gonna help me blow out my birthday candles tomorrow night? remind me not to drink too much before i blow the candles out, not everybody likes jim beam on their cake.

igoddessIsig.png

haha gonna help me blow out my birthday candles tomorrow night? remind me not to drink too much before i blow the candles out, not everybody likes jim beam on their cake.
For certain.

Should I call the ambulance before I leave, just so they're on standby :ohnoes:

If someone knew all the occurances in existence(sp?) in history and in the present, technically speaking they could predict everything that's going to happen in the future, without even seeing the future, and yet without infringeing on people's free will. In that way our future, or our "fate", is already known, but we still make the choices and have the free will to "make our own fate/destiny".

Theoretically speaking, however it's practically and physically impossible. Saying you have free will over your choices is fallacious, any choice you have arises from a combination of causal chains. For example the choice to eat a hamburger needs the following causal chains to occur: you are hungry, the store is open, the weather is good, your taste buds react positively to hamburgers, you had good experiences with hamburgers, you have enough money etc. It's not as free as you think. Your brain is made up of the same stuff as everything else in the universe, so it be reasonable that it follows the same laws.

Has anybody heard the quantum physics concept, law of attraction? I tested the theory and conquered everything I asked for. EVERYTHING. Quite scary really... So powerful. Thoughts are scary!

It's not a quantum physical concept, it's a motivational video sugar coated to appear as science. Of course if you are continually striving for something, you are more likely to achieve it; that's common sense. The secret is 'hard work and dedication,' which really isn't a secret at all.

Theoretically speaking, however it's practically and physically impossible. Saying you have free will over your choices is fallacious, any choice you have arises from a combination of causal chains. For example the choice to eat a hamburger needs the following causal chains to occur: you are hungry, the store is open, the weather is good, your taste buds react positively to hamburgers, you had good experiences with hamburgers, you have enough money etc. It's not as free as you think. Your brain is made up of the same stuff as everything else in the universe, so it be reasonable that it follows the same laws.

Has anybody heard the quantum physics concept, law of attraction? I tested the theory and conquered everything I asked for. EVERYTHING. Quite scary really... So powerful. Thoughts are scary!

It's not a quantum physical concept, it's a motivational video sugar coated to appear as science. Of course if you are continually striving for something, you are more likely to achieve it; that's common sense. The secret is 'hard work and dedication,' which really isn't a secret at all.

If you actually knew what Law of Attraction was and understood it properly you would know it requires not striving for anything. You obviously don't understand the concept so at least know what you're talking about before having an opinion on it.

igoddessIsig.png

bubsa and warri0r45 he did the same thing to me... did you flame him?

Can you at least respond to my post? Ignoring death (if you will), do you believe we have free will to make choices during our lives?

no -.- u have a choice between a or b, but thats not really freewill now is it. Freewill would be able to chose from the whole of the alphabet

p.s. rebdragon can u please keep your posts less hostile, im not wageing a war against you i just dont agree with you.

Fine, but you have to at least respond to me post:

which backs up my point about free will, we are going to die, we chose how but we will die, if i had free will i would be able to chose not to die.

Ah yes, I can't snap this planet in half with my bare hands, so I must not have free will.

You're assuming that because you can't choose to give yourself any kind of power, such as immortality, you don't have free will? This path of logic started... where?

lol free will is an illusion you dont have free will in prison do you but you can still chose which people you will hang out with. Its similiar, you may think you have free will but you don't.

At what point were we talking about snaping the planet in half. The first guy said our destiny is to die, you said but if i kill myself now then i beat destiny, i said no because your still dead. then i said thats like free will, you obviously think we have the free will to chose what we want, when we quite clearley dont, if you dont believe dieing is your destiny then you would have the free will to live right? to which you reply no because dieing is inevitable, which proves my point, then you said but thats not a good arfument because im not saying that im trying to deny the laws of nature, im just saying i have free will, which is off topic because im not saying that you can, you seem to think that you can avoid your fate of dieing, whch is against the laws of nature, so i used the same example as you.

(to all the grammer nazis ~ i cant be assed to check my spelling it takes long enough to type that as it is, im not going to put it in word to correct the mistakes, i really dont care enough)

Dying naturally is something we can't escape, yet. However it's a natural bodily process, you may as well argue that you don't have free will because you have to eat to live, when you don't want to eat. Which is ridiculous. Free will simply means the ability to choose something thats not being influenced by external agents. Death is not an external agent, and is usually the result of an internal agent (such as cancer, natural death ect) and so doesn't fall under "free will".

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

Me, I don't think it's free will. I've never believed in free will anyways. But, from a human/subjective perspective, we cannot comprehend every single cause (that would require omniscience), so it appears that we have free will even though we really don't.

I guess I didn't phrase it well, but I used the quotation marks in my post to leave room for the fact that free will is merely subjective.

Meh, I still worded my post badly >_<.

If you actually knew what Law of Attraction was and understood it properly you would know it requires not striving for anything. You obviously don't understand the concept so at least know what you're talking about before having an opinion on it.

I'd like to hear about it's scientific credentials if you have any spare time to do so. I've been critical of it myself in a previous post but that's only because all I've seen of it is a backpatting philosophy on life program about it.

I'll send you a message to your inbox we can discuss it on a talking program. I can give you heaps of examples of where it has worked without the concept of any hard work or dedication. I can also tell you how it works and have it work for you.

igoddessIsig.png

My belief is irrelevant to the truth.

My wishs are irrelevant to my actions.

~Defender~

False :-$ . On both accounts.