Thoughts on the new Stat Spy spell

Zandalf

I have been wasting runes like crazy since I finished the new quest. The spell that allows you to instantly see other players' stats is a laugh riot.

You walk up to someone, check their stats and say something like "Dude, you have 17 woodcutting, and you need to recharge your prayer". And they freak out. So much fun!

But...

Is it an annoyance or an invasion of privacy? Sure, in another week, people will quit annoying other players by constantly checking their stats. But from now on, anyone on the lunar spell book can see all your stats whenever they please -- even the ones below 30, and even if they have been altered by a pot or something. (I.e. you can see if someone has 0 / 43 prayer, or if they have 110 / 99 strength.) Some people I checked seemed like they felt violated or offended.

Is this too powerful? Should we have the ability to hide stats? Should it work like hiscores, where you can only see what their base level is and not what their current altered level is? What do you think?

There are 10 types of people in the world:

* Those who understand binary

* Those who don't

- - -

Greatest J Mod Quote Ever / My bug collection / Raise your agility! / What exactly is "Anti-scam"?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think so :P What's it matter if someone can see your stats? If you're ashamed of a skill then train it, if you're happy with the level it's at, you shouldn't care if someone sees it. ;)

I just think it's a fun spell to use. :)

Dork.jpeg

Sig And Avatar by Tripsis - 99 Slayer Blog - My Pyramid Plunder Guide

Owner of Fire Cape since 28-09-2005 - 426th to 99 Strength

I'll admit: when someone cast that spell on me I felt kind of..exposed. Maybe I was just being silly, but I don't know...Makes me feel vulnerable for some reason, even though I know the hiscores and whatnot are there for all to see.

But this way just feels a lot like someone's 'peeking' at you. And they are. :uhh:

lol

I'm gonna say that this is not gonna be a huge invasion of privacy. I think this was intended by jagex for a reason, because to do this quest you have to be a minimum of 85, and from what i hear, you need to be at least 90 plus realistically. Mature players mainly constitute this, so i doubt it will be a reeeal issue. What magic level does it take again?

I don't think so :P What's it matter if someone can see your stats? If you're ashamed of a skill then train it, if you're happy with the level it's at, you shouldn't care if someone sees it. ;)

I just think it's a fun spell to use. :)

Personally, I'm with you, Dork. I had one guy scan me and say "Omg! Herby higher than att!" - One of my proudest moments ever in RS.

But I'd love to hear from someone who wants to keep their stats hidden - and any good arguments to that effect.

* Those who don't

- - -

Greatest J Mod Quote Ever / My bug collection / Raise your agility! / What exactly is "Anti-scam"?

If you consider this an "invasion of privacy", wait until you see the Highscores. They've got EVERYONE in there. And it's available for everyone to access, too; all you have to do is type in their name!

I honestly don't feel that it's an invasion of privacy of any sort. You can access player info via the Highscores (and you'd only have to guess about if they were using prayer or had potions); now you don't really have to.

Besides that, it's just a fun skill to use if you want to get someone's attention. :P

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

If you consider this an "invasion of privacy", wait until you see the Highscores. They've got EVERYONE in there. And it's available for everyone to access, too; all you have to do is type in their name!

I honestly don't feel that it's an invasion of privacy of any sort. You can access player info via the Highscores (and you'd only have to guess about if they were using prayer or had potions); now you don't really have to.

Besides that, it's just a fun skill to use if you want to get someone's attention. :P

A couple of things:

1) On most players, there will be some stats hidden on the hiscores. Like an embarrassing lvl 7 hunter for example. Anything below lvl 30 or below the top 1M players is hidden. But not with the spy spell.

2) People don't check hiscores on a whim really. This spell encourages players to heckle people who they would otherwise just walk on past.

Again: I like the spell. I just want to know what the people are thinking who don't like it.

* Those who don't

- - -

I would like to see the new spell atleast not work in the wild. I do not want people scanning me and seeing when I super pot and when I don't. The wild is all about suprise and attack. Why should someone be able to see if I have the advantage over him or not? This might lead to even less pking due to people with the same feelings as me, but who knows. I can't think of much else to back myself. It is just plain and clear. I don't mind if I get scanned, why shouldn't people be able to see my stats? I would just prefer the spell not to work in the wild.

squirrel.jpg

~HOORAY FOR BEING MUTED!~

personally i think the spell is cool and fun to mess around with, but seeing as how you want the other side of the argument.... here goes

what about people who stake.... i've seen people on RSOF who say they are lvl 10 and are staking 10 mil. They obviously have a trick up their sleeve, and until now there was no way to check, as you must have a skill of at least 30 to be on the scores. In addition to the spy spell, i wonder when the rants about check book spell will surface.

Granted, i dont have 96 mage, and haven't experimented with it, but i can see people being annoyed. Using staking for example, some people ask you to alch something before staking to prove that you wont barrage them to death the second it says fight. With the new spell you have the ability to "alch" something, then turn around and cast vengence and slam them for 30+ on the next hit.

Yea, so thats the other side of the argument... how'd i do?

Thesmallone9.gif

Meh, just another thing for stakers and pures to complain about.

All their advantage is lost if they are staking someone who has done the lunar quest and has high enough mage to cast it.

The oo0o0o0o0 and ililililili names are not helping them anymore. :P

mhd7k3.jpg

ahhh the wonders of tabbed browsing

this just makes it cool that we get to see the max hit of some weird monsters everyone was afraid to test out. like dharok, dk, jad, etc.

A couple of things:

1) On most players, there will be some stats hidden on the hiscores. Like an embarrassing lvl 7 hunter for example. Anything below lvl 30 or below the top 1M players is hidden. But not with the spy spell.

2) People don't check hiscores on a whim really. This spell encourages players to heckle people who they would otherwise just walk on past.

Again: I like the spell. I just want to know what the people are thinking who don't like it.

I don't like the spells, but they don't bother me. The only problem I have is you waste runes to see another person's stats...

I often don't check highscores to see how low a person's stats are.

Pretty much the only problem with this is they serve no actual purpose.

I'm going to also give a remark that I dislike the monsters stats. I was hoping for a strength, defense, attack...and such..

Instead we get HP(already know), Combat Level(Obvious), and Max hit (with the use of a help-site...can also be known)...

Not to mention it's buggy

w4M8t.png

I think that it would be a good idea to be able to hide your stats but not be able to in the wilderness.

Cool55155.png

814 to 99 Hunter

Trimmed Hunter Cape: 99 Cooking

Total Barrows Items: 53

Total Barrows Earnings: 65,545,000gp

There's little reason the stat spy spell couldn't have been integrated into the following:

-Trade with NAME

-Examine NAME

-Check Stats NAME

-Walk here

Given that it wasn't added in this manner clearly means it was intended as a pking / dueling assist/weapon.

RSN: Greedom1 | QP 248+ | Combat 116 | Total 1920+ | Skills 95 craft, 99 farm, 88 herb, 91 mage, 85 slayer

Values? What do they mean?

i think it's a great update, especially for people with easily confused names or people who try to lie about their stats... not to mention seeing pures' stats BEFORE you fight them!

tipitcrewex8.jpg

Proud to have gotten 1800 skill total before access to fishing guild

Why make a house when you can rob one?