Words from the past~Changes in a year and a half

Kashi

Well I was playing runescape the other day and I started wondering what the new update would be when I realized something: there were no more updates that I truly wanted.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the random quest here and there, but is there an update that we truly need?

We have barrows for the high levels, tons of different ways to make money, whips, cw, ect. What else do we need?

This was written by our own Bloodveld, around 18 months ago, shortly after the release

of the Mage Training Arena in Al Kharid. What I want to know is, what updates in the

time between this post and now have truly affected RuneScape. What updates have changed

the way we play everyday? Was Bloodveld right? Were there really no more updates that

we truly needed?

Now, here's my answer to this question. This post was before the Construction skill & Player Owned

Houses, and nobody can say that having a POH hasn't affected the way they play, with all the useful

features there (teleport room, fixed glory, banking from home). But (and maybe I'm forgetting

something important here), what else since then has really, really changed RuneScape

for the better? Post away.

EDIT: So far, the really big ones we've got are ...

Player owned houses

Pest control

Re-evaluation of the combat triangle

Skill cape

Pure essence

New magic book (Lunars)

Defenders

My greatest ambition is to kill every member of the human race.

crackersapparentlyiu8.png

However I am a realist and therefore know that I probably wont be able to.

idiotacyoa5.png

was the warriors guild out b4 that, cause if it wasnt, then defenders have changed rs

also, barbarian assult introduced the fighters torso. both good str bonuses

doogsidoof.png

Owner of a Quest cape since 9/11/08

tipit_grid2.png

It's not about the other people, its about shooting cute furry things that explode.

Well, skill capes are fun to show off, I'll give you that, but the only way they could really affect

how you play RuneScape is they they give many people a great drive to reach Lv99 in a skill.

They motivate you, you might say. But they don't really help you much once you've got one.

EDIT: And that's true. They've gone a long way towards balancing the PKing triangle, but can you be

a bit more specific? ^_^

EDIT: I've got one to add. This world-change button they've added to the login screen is nice.

It allows people to PK with greater ease, and no repeated loading. Very useful.

EDIT: I'll blame low-trafic midnight hours for the fact that such a good thread idea has

so few responses. Should've waited until noon to post or something. I mean, a mod hasn't

even come along yet to remove Suiku's spam after I reported it. :?

idiotacyoa5.png

what he means is how ranged have got some stronger weapons now, so they have an easier way to get a ko

melee have got a ko option, magic doesn't need it, as it freezes, but the only advantage ranged have had is to not be affected of freeze, but now it has a chance of getting a more sucsessfull ko, (suprising death)

Scherzo.png

idk if im right on this but isnt pest control under 18 months old?

Played since February 2001

alexrn2vh6.jpg

13th to 30 hunting

firemaking cape achieved 6th August 2008_-_-_-_Quest cape achieved 19th August 2009

Ohhh, that's a good point. I'll check, but if Pest Control was in fact introduced after this post, then

you're right, that mini game has affected Runescape more than any other update, ever.

Even more than RS3D or when they removed fatigue. :D

(Well maybe not as big as those, but Pest Control has become a -huge- thing.)

idiotacyoa5.png

I think skill capes changed the lvl 99. Before capes you said to a lvl 99 cooker, "omg you noob! waste of time and money! omg omg omg!"

Now, after the capes you say " omg do your emote! omg omg omg!"

they actually say: "noob cape" :P

but Skill capes have changed rs too,especially the trimmed capes (e.g. DKs,KQ)

Necrossigv3.jpg

EDIT: I'll blame low-trafic midnight hours for the fact that such a good thread idea has

so few responses. Should've waited until noon to post or something. I mean, a mod hasn't

even come along yet to remove Suiku's spam after I reported it. :?

The Moderators deal with lots of post reports, and they deal with the most urgent ones first. Yes, this means it might take more than an hour for one single spam reply to be removed.

Also: There are not low-traffic midnight hours in Europe, Asia and Australia at the same time as it is in US.

Free bump, I guess. ;)

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

Well I dont think that there have been many updates that have really changed RS massively over the last 18 months. The exceptions are PC, POH, warriors guild, and the new ranging updates (dark bow, crossbow). Most of the other updates have been low to med level updates or small high level updates that haven't really changed the gameplay much.

PC has really changed things though, combat training is not the same as it was, high level combat characters occasionally don't know half as much about the game as they ought (e.g. a level 116 asked me yesterday where black masks come from). People can train range and mage without actually firing a bow or casting a spell. Doesn't seem right to me....

curanir1.png

Best Barrows Chest: guth skirt, dh helm, dh axe, racks, gp (23/08/06); best tt reward: robin, guthix helm, guthix legs, nats, rune legs

Construction, PC and skill capes all haa major impact on rs. Hunter had less of an effect.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

Recipe for disaster: Think of the difference those gloves have made to every aspect of combat training.

Pest control: It was added afterwards and it's brought so many more higher levels into the game. Whether you think it's good or not is a totally different area though.....

Pure ess: That was one of the biggest blows to macroers and also honest players money. F2p'ers lost billions just to that one update.

POH: You've already described this.

Fairy rings: These have made travelling around to obscure places so much easier.

Pyramid plunder: Think of the speed update to thieving that mini-game has brought about.

Lunar diplomacy: The skillers mage update. Also, redemption (is that what it's called?) has helped to revolutionise pk'ing.

Capes of Achievement: May not have revolutionised gameplay, but certainly added a new incentive for people to get 99's.

Barbarian Assault: Think of the uproar that the fighter torso caused in pk'ing. Pkers now got alot less profit, as it's untradeable. It also increased the melee max hit. It was also rumoured to be the start of a line on berserker style clothing, where defence was sacrificed for strength bonuses.

Third age armour: Once again, not revolutionary. It also put a real spanner in the works of the rare economy, if only for a short while.

Tarn Razorlors Lair: The upgrade of the salve amulet. Also not revolutionary, but another massive boost to certain parts of the game.

Helm of Neitiznot: For the short time that was untradeable it also annoyed most pk'ers. A helm better then berserker that could be bought for less and couldn't be picked up.

Rule 2 update: Banning luring. It had become such a menace that this was welcomed by so many players.

Wilderness Ditch: A ridiculously effective way of stopping luring. Also, a large annoyance to abyss pk'ers.

The Dark Bow: Gave an amazingly powerful weapon to rangers. Helped to rebalance the basically obsolete combat triangle. Also made it worth training slayer to 90 and beyond.

Dragonfire shield: Better then any other shield (except crystal for range defence) and a huge bonus to strength aswell. Too new to say if it's really revolutionary though.

So, yes. There has been alot of updates that really changed things around the world of Runescape.

Slide-sig.png

There are always changes, but its hard to see them.

What I want to see is either increase the ability to withstand hits, or decrease ALL hits, so that they can again introduce more powerful stuff.

(That is, increase armor now, to match up with all these super high hitting things they introduce)

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Another one I just thought of. By adding first the Culinaromancer's Chest, and then an actual bank,

to Lumbridge, they kind of made the Falador spawn point obsolete. Lumbridge spawn is closer

to a bank, and generally less crowded.

But anyway, I can see nobody wants to talk about this. :cry:

Should just stick to woodcutting ..

idiotacyoa5.png

Though scams still abound, there are several changes Jagex has made to alleviate them:

-Untradeable leaf-bladed spear

-Colors to identify different stacks of money

-Wildy Ditch

Separately, none of these is that spectacular, but overall they represent Jagex clearly moving in the right direction. (Though not at all as fast as one would hope.)

So I would add: "new anti-scam updates" not earth-shattering I know, but it's a start.

oh - and the Kbase has been added in the last year and a half I believe (which is the best thing they've done in awhile... if only the newbs would use it!)

That said, the vast majority of the updates that don't add to the gameplay/streamline the game are mostly useless for me.

RSN: Greedom1 | QP 248+ | Combat 116 | Total 1920+ | Skills 95 craft, 99 farm, 88 herb, 91 mage, 85 slayer

Values? What do they mean?

Also to anyone who says hunter has not changed the game, let me ask you this. How many people now just to get 99 range with chinchompas? Some people wouldn't have 99 range without chins.

Hunter has changed ranging a lot. The ability to get dragon arrows, and chins as above are very influential.

Ranging with chins is now the quickest range training available.

You shouldn't forget about the update on terminating the "can't say your pass" scam. :XD:

lol i saw someone trying that again last week! someone reported him and then a group of people told him that it actually DID block your pass and they got reported lol. i guess he had been away from rs a while

The only other update I can think of that changed the way people play was the Quest Cape, and incentive for people to comeplete the small, and usually stupid quests with terrible rewards. I'd love to know how many people had completed all the quests before, and after the Quest Cape.

Congratulations on a decent thread by the way. :)

calvinandhobbessigedite.png

What about the new weapons they introduce every other month (or so)?

They expand skills every month now (example of this month: hunter/fletching).

Why do we bake cookies, but cook bacon

99/99/80+ looking for monster hunting group

RS07: mb nb