Split the General Discussion board

What's your favourite "favourite" thread?

Is it the favourite item thread?

Or is it the favourite mini game thread?

The 3 favourite skill cape threads?

Or perhaps it's the favourite music thread?

Of course, it's not all favourite threads. There will probably be an update tomorrow so you'll be able to find threads with incredible insight such as "omg dragon dragons r coming out soon".

You've got a good idea here but to be honest, I think most of the people who post these topics are just to stupid to understand it. We need more specific forums for this kind of spam to be posted in. A Questionnaire forum and a Future Updates forum at the very least. We could also do with a forum for lists.

How you stop people posting topics like "wots used more, nats or laws" is beyond me though. -.-

Capone Sabre since April 2001.

99 Attack, Defence, Strength and Hitpoints Achieved January 2005. When it still meant something.

Capone_Sabre.png

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How you stop people posting topics like "wots used more, nats or laws" is beyond me though. -.-

I think that even that could be included in this hypothetical "polls and surveys" sub/forum. Pretty much all question topics, to which no real discussion arises. All "what if" threads, "what is your favourite" threads, "what do you think" threads, "what would you do if" threads, "which would you rather" threads, blah blah blah. I could go on for hours. Basically all question topics for which the answer could only be a few words or a simple picture (in other words, no discussion).

It might be a bit difficult at first for people to realize the distinction between something that would belong in the subforum and something that would belong in General Discussion, but after a while I think it will work out pretty well.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I think that even that could be included in this hypothetical "polls and surveys" sub/forum. Pretty much all question topics, to which no real discussion arises. All "what if" threads, "what is your favourite" threads, "what do you think" threads, "what would you do if" threads, "which would you rather" threads, blah blah blah. I could go on for hours. Basically all question topics for which the answer could only be a few words or a simple picture (in other words, no discussion).

It might be a bit difficult at first for people to realize the distinction between something that would belong in the subforum and something that would belong in General Discussion, but after a while I think it will work out pretty well.

I agree with you. However in their mind, they think it's a genuine discussion rather than a poll. If you have a look at the thread they are debating it and arguing with eachother. Unless it's a more straight forward poll such as "what's your favourite minigame" I can still see those type of pointless threads appearing in the general forum.

I guess it will just create more work for you, along with the 10 questions a day that are incorrectly posted there. :|

Capone Sabre since April 2001.

99 Attack, Defence, Strength and Hitpoints Achieved January 2005. When it still meant something.

Capone_Sabre.png

Going along with the actual plan, I am still a bit hesistant about how you will separate these topics. I don't think game-related topics and non-game related topics will work. What needs to happen is a forum for questionnaires, and a forum for everything else.

Here, I've re-done the list:

Quesitonnaires

Non-questionnaires

- What have you learned in runescape today?

- The Future of Dragon Items

- You know you're old school when...

- ~~**Useless Runescape Facts**~~ 75,000+

- The degrading community

- The "Best-Skill-Cape-Outfit" Contest!

- The "Clothes-That-Match-Skill-Capes" Thread (TONS OF PICS)

- Items Kept to the death

- Sandwhich Lady - Pure Evil?

- Just thought I'd share this with you (black dragon bad luck)

- 20 lvl 2277s, is that just too much?

- Tip.it Times Presents: I have the answer, Mr. Runescape!

- ~If Runescape was Real Life~

- HYT

- Signs You Play Too Much RuneScape

- What would you say to your level 3 self?

Defining what should and should not belong in each of these forums wouldn't be a problem. All topics that ask a question to the community belong in one forum, all those that don't fit under that go in the other forum- simple as that.

You put effort into this, and that's good. Some choose the easy way, just sitting on the sidelines and saying things aren't working. (This is not a dig at anyone in this thread - it's just something I see happening in other topics at times.) It's much harder to suggest solutions and try to see how they could be implemented. You are actively participating and putting your ideas out here for people to see, and I really admire that.

My difficulty is that nearly all of those titles could also be presented as a question (see green lines below), and I'm not sure that determines what type of topic it is. I mean, ALL of these things are about RS, it's not like they are talking about something else. And four of the topics marked for a "questionnaires" forum aren't phrased as questions.

Quesitonnaires

Non-questionnaires

What have you learned in runescape today?

The Future of Dragon Items

- - - What is The Future of Dragon Items?

You know you're old school when... < oh noes! not phrased as a question! :shock:>

- - - - - How do you know if you're old school?

Useless Runescape Facts**~~ 75,000+ < oh noes! not phrased as a question! :shock:>

- - - - - Do you have a Useless Runescape Fact?

The degrading community

- - - Is the community degrading?

The "Best-Skill-Cape-Outfit" Contest!

- - - What is your "Best-Skill-Cape-Outfit"? - contest!

The "Clothes-That-Match-Skill-Capes" Thread (TONS OF PICS)

- - - What Clothes Match-Skill-Capes the best? (TONS OF PICS)

-Items Kept to the death

- - - What Items are Kept to the death?

Sandwhich Lady - Pure Evil?

Just thought I'd share this with you (black dragon bad luck)

- - - Have you had bad luck at the black dragons?

20 lvl 2277s, is that just too much?

Tip.it Times Presents: I have the answer, Mr. Runescape!

- - - What did you think of the "Tip.it Times Presents: I have the answer, Mr. Runescape!" ?

If Runescape was Real Life~ < oh noes! not phrased as a question! :shock:>

- - - - - What If Runescape was Real Life?~

HYT

- - - Did you HYT someone today?

- Signs You Play Too Much RuneScape < oh noes! not phrased as a question! :shock:>

- - - - - What are the Signs You Play Too Much RuneScape?

What would you say to your level 3 self?

I'm not trying to nit pick here, because I too tend to prefer the 'split' concept, personally. I'm just trying to say that there's no Occam's Razor presented here that simply, cleanly and clearly divides topics into the proposed categories ... at least, not so far.

Hopefully we all can come up with something.

gallery_28257_123_2330.jpggallery_28257_123_196.gif

it's a lot easier to get over yourself when you look at intelligence the same way you look at beauty, or height, or eye color: being smart is easy, but being good is hard ... being smart is handed to you, being good is handed to *nobody*.

Well if the General board split, I'd suggest we just keep all the General topics in that board; even if they are questionarres. After the new questionarre board is made, all questionarres go into there.

It's just a small idea. :-w

Going along with the actual plan, I am still a bit hesistant about how you will separate these topics. I don't think game-related topics and non-game related topics will work. What needs to happen is a forum for questionnaires, and a forum for everything else.

Here, I've re-done the list:

Quesitonnaires

Non-questionnaires

- What have you learned in runescape today?

- The Future of Dragon Items

- You know you're old school when...

- ~~**Useless Runescape Facts**~~ 75,000+

- The degrading community

- The "Best-Skill-Cape-Outfit" Contest!

- The "Clothes-That-Match-Skill-Capes" Thread (TONS OF PICS)

- Items Kept to the death

- Sandwhich Lady - Pure Evil?

- Just thought I'd share this with you (black dragon bad luck)

- 20 lvl 2277s, is that just too much?

- Tip.it Times Presents: I have the answer, Mr. Runescape!

- ~If Runescape was Real Life~

- HYT

- Signs You Play Too Much RuneScape

- What would you say to your level 3 self?

Defining what should and should not belong in each of these forums wouldn't be a problem. All topics that ask a question to the community belong in one forum, all those that don't fit under that go in the other forum- simple as that.

You put effort into this, and that's good. Some choose the easy way, just sitting on the sidelines and saying things aren't working. (This is not a dig at anyone in this thread - it's just something I see happening in other topics at times.) It's much harder to suggest solutions and try to see how they could be implemented. You are actively participating and putting your ideas out here for people to see, and I really admire that.

My difficulty is that nearly all of those titles could also be presented as a question (see green lines below), and I'm not sure that determines what type of topic it is. I mean, ALL of these things are about RS, it's not like they are talking about something else. And four of the topics marked for a "questionnaires" forum aren't phrased as questions.

Quesitonnaires

Non-questionnaires

What have you learned in runescape today?

You know you're old school when... < oh noes! not phrased as a question! :shock:>

- - - - - How do you know if you're old school?

Useless Runescape Facts**~~ 75,000+ < oh noes! not phrased as a question! :shock:>

- - - - - Do you have a Useless Runescape Fact?

The degrading community

- - - What is your "Best-Skill-Cape-Outfit"? - contest!

-Items Kept to the death

Sandwhich Lady - Pure Evil?

20 lvl 2277s, is that just too much?

- - - What did you think of the "Tip.it Times Presents: I have the answer, Mr. Runescape!" ?

If Runescape was Real Life~ < oh noes! not phrased as a question! :shock:>

- - - - - What If Runescape was Real Life?~

HYT

- Signs You Play Too Much RuneScape < oh noes! not phrased as a question! :shock:>

- - - - - What are the Signs You Play Too Much RuneScape?

What would you say to your level 3 self?

I'm not trying to nit pick here, because I too tend to prefer the 'split' concept, personally. I'm just trying to say that there's no Occam's Razor presented here that simply, cleanly and clearly divides topics into the proposed categories ... at least, not so far.

Hopefully we all can come up with something.

You had me stumped on this for a couple of hours, I realise now that there is no clean cuts when it comes to separating questionnaires from non-questionnaires.

But I just thought of this idea. What are we truly trying to seperate here? I've asked the tip.it community in my "The degrading community", and they want topics that start discussion and topics that don't. A topic that asks a question could be turned into a discussion, and vice versa.

So I suggest a new 'cut'. We split those topics with discussion and those without. Thought this is just a rough plan, I think it could work. I am still a bit stumped on how exactly we detirmine if it's a discussion or not, perhaps a certain number of sentences on each page, but that seems way too complex.

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

@pokemama -

At least the way that I'm viewing this 'split' of General Discussion, I don't think that we would determine what belongs in the poll/survey forum just by what a thread's title is. Sure you can word some of them like questions, but here's where you draw the line:

We're trying to make the distinction between threads that promote a discussion, and threads that don't.

^^ Yes, that can be phrased like a question, but it does promote thought and discussion. The thread is trying to stimulate thought about possible future updates.

The degrading community

^^ Again, it's not just a simple yes or no answer. Take a look at that thread, it's ten paragraphs! It's trying to stir a discussion about Tip.it's users and the community's future.

- - - What is your "Best-Skill-Cape-Outfit?" - contest!

^^ No, it's not really a discussion, but we've normally let these threads remain in General Discussion, though this is one that could go either way.

^^ Similar to above thread.

-Items Kept to the death

^^ This could even belong in Help & Advice actually. But it developed into a discussion about the recent "Items Kept at Death" update. People were discussing why certain items protected over others. It's not a poll-type question.

^^ I couldn't even find that thread so I could examine the content of it, which is very important in determining whether it's poll-like or not

^^ The point of those threads isn't just to say, "I liked/didn't like it," but to stir a discussion about what the article was about and share your thoughts.

HYT

^^ That's actually one that I'd put in the poll/survey forum, because it's a "Have you ever.." thread, if you look at the first post.

-----

What I'm trying to say, is that we cannot make the distinction based on whether the thread title is phrased as a question. You have to think about two aspects: whether it's a question topic to which no discussion arises, or whether it's a question topic (or any other topic) that promotes a discussion.

The poll/survey thread would mostly contain responses like:

"My favourite/least favourite ____ is _____"

"I would ______ if _____ happened"

"Yes that has happened to me/No it has not happened to me"

"I would rather do ____ than ______"

And so on and so forth. But if a reply could hold meaning and even promote a debate, then it would remain in the General Discussion forum. It depends mostly on the content of the first post and the message it's trying to send than the title of the thread.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

How about we test this out according to tripis' recent post for say, 2 days-1 week and see how it goes. I remember tip.it doing this in previous months- with the first "Events" forum, then they deleted it, and now it's back again. If all goes well, we keep this idea. If not, we can think of a new way or use previously suggested ideas in this topic. So far I'm going with tripis, but we might just have to wait and see how this all goes.

I've realised now that picking out questionnaire topics is just like detirmining if a post is spam or not. There is no definate characteristic that marks a topic as spam. A moderator has to make a decision to whether he/she considers it spam, just like a moderator must make a decision to whether he/she considers a topic a questionnaire.

So I say we give it a test. :-k

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

It's been four days since the last post on this topic, I'd really like more people to respond to some ideas on this topic.

dangsig.png

It's been nearly 8 days since the last post, I'm bumping it again.

I'd really like to see this idea in action, I think this topic needs a few more feedback though.

dangsig.png

I have to say that the basic premise for merging the two discussion threads of "It'll improve the overall quality of Front Page threads" has been clearly disproved by the overall lack of quality in said threads. Just give us back our P2P and F2P boards, and we will all be happy again, and the needless posting of 'Board merger was rubbish' threads (and associated replies) will disappear overnight, leaving bandwidth for more meaningful discussion!

Why is 'common sense' so named, when there is so little of it about?

Welcome to puberty, we've been expecting you.

newsighq9.jpg

I have to say that the basic premise for merging the two discussion threads of "It'll improve the overall quality of Front Page threads" has been clearly disproved by the overall lack of quality in said threads. Just give us back our P2P and F2P boards, and we will all be happy again, and the needless posting of 'Board merger was rubbish' threads (and associated replies) will disappear overnight, leaving bandwidth for more meaningful discussion!

Yes, we did hope that the pointless discussions would be pushed to the bottom, which didn't exactly happen. Bringing back the Genera/Gen P2P boards will not cause the "pointless" threads to go away. Whether we have one board or two, there will be the same amount of "pointless" threads. "What if/what is your favourite" threads started becoming popular around the time that we decided to merge the threads, which caused some people to believe that the merging is what actually cased the mass increase in those kinds of threads.. which I don't think is true (I think it was a mere coincidence).

Posted Image

Yes, we did hope that the pointless discussions would be pushed to the bottom, which didn't exactly happen. Bringing back the Genera/Gen P2P boards will not cause the "pointless" threads to go away. Whether we have one board or two, there will be the same amount of "pointless" threads. "What if/what is your favourite" threads started becoming popular around the time that we decided to merge the threads, which caused some people to believe that the merging is what actually cased the mass increase in those kinds of threads.. which I don't think is true (I think it was a mere coincidence).

I'm not saying that the creation of a single 'Discussion' board has caused an increase in poor quality threads, merely that the number of poor quality threads on the front page has not DECREASED. What HAS increased is the number of 'Merger is rubbish' threads, which have definitely increased - from an initial level of zero, obviously.

All I would like to see is a return to two discussion boards, then let us deal with the subject of 'Thread Quality' on our own board and on our own terms. What's good for P2P may not necessarily be seen as good for F2P. Why let the greater number of F2P'ers decide what is good for the P2P'ers who provide the bulk of the game's income? (And probably Tip.It's too - how many F2P'ers have made contributions compared to P2P'ers? - given that they won't/can't pay $5 dollars a month for RS)

Why is 'common sense' so named, when there is so little of it about?

Welcome to puberty, we've been expecting you.

newsighq9.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm not saying that the creation of a single 'Discussion' board has caused an increase in poor quality threads, merely that the number of poor quality threads on the front page has not DECREASED. What HAS increased is the number of 'Merger is rubbish' threads, which have definitely increased - from an initial level of zero, obviously.

All I would like to see is a return to two discussion boards, then let us deal with the subject of 'Thread Quality' on our own board and on our own terms. What's good for P2P may not necessarily be seen as good for F2P. Why let the greater number of F2P'ers decide what is good for the P2P'ers who provide the bulk of the game's income? (And probably Tip.It's too - how many F2P'ers have made contributions compared to P2P'ers? - given that they won't/can't pay $5 dollars a month for RS)

How do you expect to deal with thread quality on your "own" board if you are not a local moderator. Is there something I missed there?

Are you suggesting, maybe, that if you tell users to stop posting questionnaire threads(I don't like the term 'pointless,' not all questionnaires are pointless), that they will all magically stop? The only people with the power to do that would be the staff.

Separating into f2p and p2p won't work. All you're doing is spliting a problem in two, and then you have two problems that were just as bad as a single one.

Right now the general dicussion is a pool of questionnaire and non-questionnaire topics. By taking these two parts of the pool and putting them in their own forums, the problem will be solved. Those who like questionnaries can ask all they want in their forum, and those who wish to dicuss something interesting, or perhaps engage in serious discussion will post in their forum.

It's been proven that these two types of topics can be easily distinguished, are there any more problems we want to iron out?

Anyone for the test idea I posted on this same page? I'm open to feedback.

dangsig.png

I really hope this can bring some discussion back to the General board. The thing that will be interesting to see is now just how many people will go to this new subforum. At the time of writing, 18 browsing General Discussion, just 1 browsing General Questionnaires. Now they have been split, some may ignore this subforum and just post in General Discussion.

It will be interesting to see how the new split goes.

Mamong.png

336489.jpg

[Tip.It Mod][Retired][Add your Steam name here!]

I'm guessing that we don't get post count for Questionnaires, just General?

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Good Job. 8-)

Credit to mario for being extremely devoted to this. Don't think it would have happened without you. =D>

But I don't think I was just me. Everyone who voiced their opinion and made strong arguments in this topic deserves some credit in this. :D

dangsig.png

Shouldn't the Monday Poll be in Questionnares?

I think misplacedme put it there because it's an "official" staff topic.

dangsig.png