What makes a good quest?

purpieman2

A lot of people on the rs forums are are complaining about the new quests that Jagex are making. i personally think it would be a good quest if you choose to a approach to fight a boss by either regular combat, hunter to set traps, or something like that. What do all of you think?

I personally like puzzles. To me, the best part of MM was the sliding puzzle you have to complete in order to proceed in the quest. Logic such as in Recruitment Drive or Fremmy Trials is always fun. I prefer that over big bosses.

perfect grammar is one thing, typing like a drugged monkey and enjoying it is another

AMEN!

These make a good quest:

*A challenge to the skill aimed for (puzzles as seen from quests like Monkey Madness).

*Gives out insight from the lore (Digsite quest is a very good example, if not the best).

*Well-developed plot (Like the Ardougne [Plague City to Mourning's End Part 2] and Dwarf arcs [The Giant Dwarf and Forgettable Tales]) which catch your interest. Get on with the sequels Jagex!

*Balanced rewards (A difficult quest is deserving of adequate rewards, such as Desert Treasure opening up the Ancient spellbook).

*Exciting boss battles (the Haunted Mine is my favourite example of this, not only you had to take care of the boss but you needed to watch out for your surroundings.

There's probably more. :-$

"300 programmers make their futile but glorious last stand against 1000000 angry players in The battle of Misthalin. They fight for honor, glory and new content sacrificing themselves so that their game may live on. This is Madness! This Is JAGEEEX!"

I haven't done a quest since rs2 started, but I remember liking quests that made me think, and that took over an hour or two to complete.

The really basic ones seemed like a waste of time (sorry Sheep Shearer), but the Dragon and Demon slayer quests were pretty fun because it took multiple steps to complete.

160vy.png

for me a great quest is something that is hard, but with few requirements. Also, I like hidden requirements not mentioned in the quest details (ingame). An example of this is lost city. I did not know it required 30+ woodcuting and crafting untill I got to that part of the quest. When i discovered that, it forced me to raise the lvs in crafting and such. That is what I like in a quest. :D

TheDarkestLight2.jpg

[hide]

Come, be my light.

Mingle with my darkness

May we mix to create

Our own twilight sunset

The dusk breeze

Spreading clouds

On our murky horizon

~Darkpoet837~[/hide]

I like several things in a quest.

-- Storyline. Without a storyline, I won't even bother to use my brain on the quest. Period. I hate those random quests where "XYZ NPC needs your help!", then you help him, and 3 years down the road, NOTHING has happened with it.

-- Fighting with an NPC is always really cool. It adds a new element that you usually wouldn't expect -- Swan Song was cool, so was The Femenick Isles.

-- Logic puzzles. I love the quests that put the riddles and such in that you can't for the life of you figure out, but once it's done, you just have to groan "That was so obvious!" On the other hand, I hate quests that put a puzzle that you lose your mind doing (Mourning's End Part II)

-- Doesn't need tons of crazy, random items to complete. I think it really kills the mood when you get out of a dramatic cutscene, the NPC needs to save Joe's life, so you have to travel across the world -- While Joe is bleeding to death. In other words, I like quests that stay focused on their "area" ... Fremenick areas for the various Fremenick quests, Lunar Isle for the Lunar Diplomacy quests. I feel that most every item needed should be able to be found in the general area of the quest, not all the way across the world.

I have a Quest Cape, and I wish a few more quests met at least some of the criteria. Too many quests have potential that gets lost.

blackmbnaval,Mc%20Comix%20Yo.gif

Mc%20Comix%20Yo.gif

I like quests which include:

- A good starting plot to roll the story from.

- Plenty of puzzles and challenges to switch the mostly unused brain on.

- A tough/complex end boss, to keep the weak and/or stupid from completing it and thus complaining in a random forum thread.

- A reasonable reward, 5-digit xp rewards are always nice, with or without some special item or ability.

A few quests ring the bell, having all of the above points. Most don't. :(

dontfearthereaper2.png

I personally like puzzles. To me, the best part of MM was the sliding puzzle you have to complete in order to proceed in the quest. Logic such as in Recruitment Drive or Fremmy Trials is always fun. I prefer that over big bosses.

I prefer mostly hard bosses, which I have yet to see. Recipe? Easy. Desert treasure? Easy. Whatever that recent lunar quest was? Easy. Jagex really needs to introduce a super-hard boss, to be honest I'm getting rather bored of this continuous line of easy monsters. I also like puzzles, so possibly have a mixture of these two in Mornings end part 3? The second one nearly drove me insane with the puzzles(even with the gudie!), but once I completed it I realised it was actually not that hard, it lacked a really hard boss(es).

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .