A few quick slayer tips

Eonrogue

i have been training slayer for 5 days straight now and i have compiled a few tips that will alleviate some slaying stress.

1. check out the monster in the bestiary first. if the drops cant cover the price of the food used, dont slay it. it wont be worth the time or money.

2. Dont be afraid to burthrope a task. if the monster is too high a level or you are well equipped to kill it, dont.

3. bring food according to the drops of the monster. if the monster has good drops, bring a few rows of food to cover the drops, if it does not have any good drops, bring all food.

4. Move your house to taverly. this will allow you use one telly and put you near the hero guild where you can recharge glories, near th altar of guthix to recharge prayer, near turael so you can burthrope the bad assignments, and there are 2 banks close by, rouges den and warriors guild

5. Finish Ghosts Ahoy quest, the ectophial allows quick acess to the slayer tower, as well as fever spiders which drop only kwuarms

6. Check to see which armor and weapon is best to use. some monsters used mage based melee attacks which are best protected by mage defense armor. some monters are weak against stab attacks. so you need to plan accordingly

7. Used the highest healing food you can get your hands on. the better the food, the less you have to bring.

8. Stay in one place while slaying agressive monsters, after awhile they will no longer become agressive and in the case of multi combat areas, you can pick adn choose which monsters you want to fight (ie level 74 vs level 92 dagannoths)

9. train a certain fighting style. dont switch between fighting styles on a task. stick with one. i went from 72-75 def in only 4 tasks, the exp adds up quick.

10. dont kill jungle horrors or trolls, they hit harder than most monsters and the drops dont cover food usage.

11. Bloodvelds should be ranged. there are good safe spots and when combined with the accumulator, your arrows/bolts/darts/whatever are used at a slower rate and you can stay longer.

12. dont skip harpies, they barely hit and have great drops, dont skip the trip

13. go to the slayer master thats right for you. when you use the gem it will show which master you should use, so use it. sure you might get easier tasks, but in the long run, you will get slower exp. the longer the task, the better opportunity you have to get good drops, ive gotten 3 clues since i started, as well as a brine saber from brine rats, but it took till the 100th monster to get them.

14. wear a ring of life. i cannot stress that enough, slaying is boring no doubt, and if you lose focus even for a second, it can be hello lumby. i have gotten good drops without a wealth and you can also

15. start a conversation, not everyone will talk, but some will and it can help to make longer tasks more bearable.

16. always bring the gem, that way you arent guessing at how many monsters you have less.

17. make sure the monster isnt poisonous/agreesive. those are important things to check, the monster might be level 40, but if its agressive or poisonous, you could have problems on your hands, consult the bestiary, its helpful

18. Bring a couple weapons, i for one bring a dscimmi and dds it can help to break up the monotony by switching weapons, plus the special bar wont go to waste if you switch to a dds

19. pots arent nessecary, they take up space. i have not used a pot yet

20. if you get a clue dont interrupt your task to do it, but do it as soon as your done with the task. that way you get it done, it helps you to take a break, and you can get another clue in the next task. i got a clue, did it, went to next task and got another clue so it is helpful.

21. if your fighting something that doesnt take complete concentration, open up another site, like the forums or one of my favorites icanhascheezburger.com it has some very funny pictures that are appropriate.

22. if all else fails take a break, go play cwars or trouble brewing. then when your ready come back to it

23. Last but not least, set realistic goals. saying im gonna get 70 slaying is fine and good but say get 50 slaying by tuesdays then 55 by the end of the week. breaking up goals makes them easier to achieve and helps to promote a feeling of accomplishment that will make you want to do more.

rate it if you want, sorry for the typos but i sprained my left hand and its in an ace ill fix em later.

not really a guide but more of a guideline

Tip.it's official Ninja

1. check out the monster in the bestiary first. if the drops cant cover the price of the food used, dont slay it. it wont be worth the time or money.

cash isn't everything, often exp is more important

3. bring food according to the drops of the monster. if the monster has good drops, bring a few rows of food to cover the drops, if it does not have any good drops, bring all food.

bring sufficient food to effectively finish your assignment in the least amount of trips

4. Move your house to taverly. this will allow you use one telly and put you near the hero guild where you can recharge glories, near th altar of guthix to recharge prayer, near turael so you can burthrope the bad assignments, and there are 2 banks close by, rouges den and warriors guild

or just use a combat bracelet or gaming necklace ;)

7. Used the highest healing food you can get your hands on. the better the food, the less you have to bring.

that's contradicting your statement 3. Anyway, i disagree. Sharks are just too expensive to use effectively on most slayer monsters. Lobbies or monks are fine and much cheaper.

9. train a certain fighting style. dont switch between fighting styles on a task. stick with one. i went from 72-75 def in only 4 tasks, the exp adds up quick.

doesn't really matter now, does it? Exp is exp

10. dont kill jungle horrors or trolls, they hit harder than most monsters and the drops dont cover food usage.

not true!! trolls are great exp and with decent def (70) they rarely hit you. Even jungle horrors are ok

11. Bloodvelds should be ranged. there are good safe spots and when combined with the accumulator, your arrows/bolts/darts/whatever are used at a slower rate and you can stay longer.

melee is good too. wear dragonhides or karils. melee kills much faster.

13. go to the slayer master thats right for you. when you use the gem it will show which master you should use, so use it. sure you might get easier tasks, but in the long run, you will get slower exp. the longer the task, the better opportunity you have to get good drops, ive gotten 3 clues since i started, as well as a brine saber from brine rats, but it took till the 100th monster to get them.

chaeldar can be a pain in the rear sometimes when she just keeps giving turoth and kurask tasks. that makes me go back to vanaka from time to time.

17. make sure the monster isnt poisonous/agreesive. those are important things to check, the monster might be level 40, but if its agressive or poisonous, you could have problems on your hands, consult the bestiary, its helpful

aggressiveness isn't that important, poison can be annoying

i always use pots. drag batlle exp spec + restore pot is a great strength boost. possibly follow it up with a sip of attack/super attack pot. Killing goes a lot faster with pots and always worth it

phata_elise.png

Very good "tips", I'm not sure whether this belongs in the "skills" or the "monster killing/tips" section of the PMG, I guess either is fine.

Most of the tips are very astute observations, I don't agree with all of them, but most of them are excellent. 8/10

perfect grammar is one thing, typing like a drugged monkey and enjoying it is another

AMEN!

^

^

i like you better than the other person who posted, your nicer

i have 75 def and trolls still hit on me plus there drops dont cover the amount of food

and tuna potatos are a great food to use there cheap to make and heal 22 so best food is good. i might have been a little obscure in expliaining some things, but take food in accordance, if it drops oogd stuff bring a couple rows and make trips, if it doesnt drop good stuff bring all food, agressiveness can be a prolem with dagganoths, getting 5 or 6 is almost certain death and you have to ask other people to help, stay in one place and then they stop mobbing you and you cna pick which ones you want to kill

games necklace run out disintergrate with combat bracelet needs to be recharged it saves time and money to just move the house, plus it can be moved back when your done i personally alos like having my house in taverly cause its always near the recharge spot for glories

Tip.it's official Ninja

i have 75 def and trolls still hit on me plus there drops dont cover the amount of food

I just got assinged trolls and killed about 50. I used 12 monks (~3.6k) and 2/3 restore pot (~1k) while doing so. I got 2k in coins and several herb and watermelon seeds and herbs. I easily make a profit from killing them amd that is without getting the rarer ranarr seed drops.

and tuna potatos are a great food to use there cheap to make and heal 22 so best food is good.

Tuna potatos are great food, but slow to make. You need a lot of different ingredients and be careful not to eat them while making the potatoes. As in real life: time = money, that means that tuna potatoes is very expensive food! If i were you, sell the tuna potatoes and buy monks from it. ;)

i might have been a little obscure in expliaining some things, but take food in accordance, if it drops oogd stuff bring a couple rows and make trips, if it doesnt drop good stuff bring all food,

Ok, i see you point now. You say that it is a waste of food if you have to eat just to make room in your invent to pick up a good drop. I read it differently :)

agressiveness can be a prolem with dagganoths, getting 5 or 6 is almost certain death and you have to ask other people to help, stay in one place and then they stop mobbing you and you cna pick which ones you want to kill

I see your point. But don't you think that if you get hit so hard by only 5 monsters, it would be wiser just to skip the assignment completely?

Oh, the daganoths at waterbirth island are single combat. ;)

games necklace run out disintergrate with combat bracelet needs to be recharged it saves time and money to just move the house, plus it can be moved back when your done i personally alos like having my house in taverly cause its always near the recharge spot for glories

Does is save money to use your house? You either need runes or a house teletab to get there, both cost money. Games necklaces are worth about 1k-2k. That's cheaper teleportation than house teleports. Combat bracelets provide free teleports. Both methods are cheaper and are nearly or just as fast as using your house.

i like you better than the other person who posted, your nicer

Look, I believe that you misunderstood my reply to your tips. I fully agree with you on each point I didn't address in my first post and i think i should have said that too. However, I don't fully agree with your other tips and thus i replied to them. I'm not trying flame you or tear down your topic. I have some slayer experience myself and I gave you some constructive criticism, imo some things you can do better than you do now. :)

phata_elise.png

Well, those tips really aren't the best of tips out there, to be honest.

*cough*AxeManJacksMasterSlayerGuide*cough*

Anyways, many people prefer doing different things. Your tips would work better for someone who was only slaying for money. However, most people aren't doing that.

Blakdragon39.png

If you do the fremmick isles quest(s), you can slay Ice Trolls for troll tasks. Their drops easily pay for food, as they drop warhammers up to rune, shields up to rune kite, granite shields, noted raw shark, and host of other items. And they drop pretty regularly.

Trolls do hit hard and often even with 75 defense, but you can range the ice trolls from safe spots.

Combat bracelets will update your slayer kill list every 10 kills, saving you one inventory spot.

and to don't have a problem at all, choosing what food, and how much food you should use on a task, take a guthans set instead, makes you stay at the whole task, as long as you don't need a mirror shield, nosepeg and such, or dragonhides is needed...

and as a earlier person have said, there is no really use to post guides, or guidelines to slayer, having axe man jacks guide out there.

Scherzo.png

also you might want to add that you should get bones to peaches, and spare 3 spaces to bring nats, earths and waters. pick up bones wen you have space. if you run out of food, cast the spell and keep fighting with peaches

and bring guthans as back up. helps alot

bit to short for a guide tho :S isnt it?

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

Ok advice but some errors imo.

You said not to kill trolls.

Drops are actually ok and with guthans they are easy - with 90 def and torag i hardly had to swap to it either. Fairly fast xp also.

If you get a clue sometimes you should do it, especially if you are low on money

If you are after speed bloodvelds should be meleed.

Didn't metion guthans - if you plan to go past 55 slayer, guth is so useful.

Matthew T-D

Whip drops: 9

Abyssal head drops: 3

Pretty good, but there are a few things I'd like to dispute.

There are some monsters that are mad xp, but poor drops. I wouldn't skip them, and let me remind you that if you have a guthans set, food isn't an issue at all.

4. Move your house to taverly. this will allow you use one telly and put you near the hero guild where you can recharge glories, near th altar of guthix

to recharge prayer, near turael so you can burthrope the bad assignments, and there are 2 banks close by, rouges den and warriors

guild

Games necklaces are cheaper to use, and take you closer to the same area.

Once again, guthans makes this unnecessary. Plus, just because I have sharks lying around in my bank doesn't mean I should use them training :P

This doesn't effect how efficiently you train slayer; personally I always have my whip on controlled because I like having balanced stats (and that way I don't have to use a d scimmy to train strength \' )

Trolls are very inaccurate, and I've never had much trouble with jungle horrors. They're easy xp, and, once again, that magical guthans comes into play...

Actually, all the accumulator does is pick up the ammunition and put it back in your quiver. It's still the best ranged backpack however.

14. wear a ring of life. i cannot stress that enough, slaying is boring no doubt, and if you lose focus even for a second, it can be hello lumby. i have gotten good drops without a wealth and you can also

You get more good drops with a ring of wealth :P. I've never had even a run-in with death whilst slaying. As long as you're careful, you should never run into trouble. Slayer monsters aren't terribly dangerous in general.

16. always bring the gem, that way you arent guessing at how many monsters you have less.

I only bring it if it's an assignment where inventory space isn't an issue. I don't need to know how many monsters are left, just when the task is over. If I think I missed it, all I do is check and see if I'm still getting slayer xp.

18. Bring a couple weapons, i for one bring a dscimmi and dds it can help to break up the monotony by switching weapons, plus the special bar wont go to waste if you switch to a dds

I used to use a DDS, but recently I've taken to using Excalibur, or a DBA - the stat boosts are unimaginably helpful.

They aren't necessary, but make assignments a hell of a lot faster. One combat potion allowed me to fight with my att & str in the 90s, and lasts 44 minutes - at least enough for me to fill up my inventory if it's a task where you need the space. Or if it isn't, there's nothing to stop you from bringing several to last you the whole task.

20. if you get a clue dont interrupt your task to do it, but do it as soon as your done with the task. that way you get it done, it helps you to take a break, and you can get another clue in the next task. i got a clue, did it, went to next task and got another clue so it is helpful.

Whenever I get a clue, I do it right away :P. That way I don't miss getting another one (I've come back from clues and literally gotten another in a few kills).

21. if your fighting something that doesnt take complete concentration, open up another site, like the forums or one of my favorites icanhascheezburger.com it has some very funny pictures that are appropriate.

Hehe maybe that's why you use a ring of life...

not really a guide but more of a guideline

Hope I wasn't too critical :thumbsup:

Finally, I would also recommend reading Axe Man Jack's' Master Slayer Guide in the archive of wisdom to any aspiring slayer.

I disagree with most of your tips. And I can understand that since you're only at lvl 56 slayer.

1. I don't do slayer tasks based on time and value of drops. Money doesn't dictate everything I do.

3. I bring enough food to finish the task. Best yet, Bring Full Guthans. no need for food and you can spend endless hours if need be without banking.

9. It doesnt really matter which combat style you use. You get the same amount of slayer xp. unless you're training a specific skill.

10. I always do trolls and jungle horrors. good slayer xp and decent drops. I have never switched troll tasks. never.

11. Bloodvelds can be meleed. It takes a lot longer to finish the task if you range them.

13. Accepting a stronger monster for a task could also mean that it'll take you a longer time to kill it that will turn out to be slower xp.

14. I have never worn a ROL. I always wear a ROW. I never do slayer tasks without it. If you get bored by slaying then you shouldn;t be doing it.

15. I only bring a dds to the metal dragons.

19. I always bring a super set or two on higher level monsters. Makes killing them a lot easier/faster which means faster xp/hour.

I agree with your other tips for the most part.

aglipoy.png

for all of you who said bring guthans, not everyone can afford the original cost to buy/barrows it, and 2 afford to fix it when it breaks, some people, like myself, barley have enough money to scracth buy, i forgot about the ice trolls which is a good idea to slay trolls for. and as i said earlier, whoopydefreakinding about axemans slayer guides it probably great, im not trying to compare/compete with him, im just posting what i have found while slaying for my 5 days, im not saying follow it to a tee so dont bust what little of my chops i have left

Tip.it's official Ninja

btw that last tip is 1 of the best ever. keep realistic goals or you WILL burn out :P

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

Biggest and best tip of all is:

Get and use a black mask.

I personally use pots, just raid the warrior guild and you're set (if you're after money too, this gives you cheap vials to fill with water and sell)

for all of you who said bring guthans, not everyone can afford the original cost to buy/barrows it, and 2 afford to fix it when it breaks, some people, like myself, barley have enough money to scracth buy, i forgot about the ice trolls which is a good idea to slay trolls for. and as i said earlier, whoopydefreakinding about axemans slayer guides it probably great, im not trying to compare/compete with him, im just posting what i have found while slaying for my 5 days, im not saying follow it to a tee so dont bust what little of my chops i have left

If you can afford the initial investment, I'd say the price to repair guthans is less than the price of the food you will use. I switch to whip + obsidian shield + fighter torso + black mask when I'm not healing, so the only thing in need of constant repair is the skirt.

By the way, trolls > ice trolls

• 1 month later...

Tip 10 is a buncha lies :s

Trolls drop RANNER+ seeds they are 30kea+ and pay for ALL my food.

Also they almost never hit me anyway.

6/10 though

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

This is a terrible guide

Lots of people train skills for xp.

2. Dont be afraid to burthrope a task. if the monster is too high a level or you are well equipped to kill it, dont.

Your right, never fight a monster you are well equipped for...

Bring food according to what the monster hits, use guthans to heal

Use a games necklace, it is faster and cheaper

5. Finish Ghosts Ahoy quest, the ectophial allows quick acess to the slayer tower, as well as fever spiders which drop only kwuarms

It's a prerequisite to get to fever spiders, and use fairy rings to get to the slayer tower

6. Check to see which armor and weapon is best to use. some monsters used mage based melee attacks which are best protected by mage defense armor. some monters are weak against stab attacks. so you need to plan accordingly

Always use a whip to melee, simple

Use monkfish

8. Stay in one place while slaying agressive monsters, after awhile they will no longer become agressive and in the case of multi combat areas, you can pick adn choose which monsters you want to fight (ie level 74 vs level 92 dagannoths)

It is easier when they auto-attack you, when they stop leave and come back

Wow your right about something, always train controlled on whip

Trolls are an amazing task, lots of herb seed

12. dont skip harpies, they barely hit and have great drops, dont skip the trip

skip them, they only have 25 hp and you can't use your rune defender

ring of life is pointless, simply swich to guthans at low health and if you dont heal pray

aggressive monsters are awsome for slayer

Your stupidest hint, are you trying to sabotage slayers? Pots make slayer a lot faster, thats like saying dont wear a black mask for melee...

This is a very bad guide :shame: