What time period does RS most closely resemble?

llamster

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Middle ages suit perfect for me. Any younger would historically be incorrect. Any older the stories wouldn't be right.

Because the rest of Runescape so neatly ties in with reality...

In real-life time, I would say maybe biblical-early middle ages.

Um..... the Bible was mainly written several centuries before the Middle Ages were even a twinkle in the Dark Ages eye.

I would probably say the Middle Ages. Remember, Dragons and magic still exist so it can't be too "recent".

Do you want to tell him or should I?

magic and dragons dont even exist unless jesus is hiding something

Your imaginary friend is hiding the imaginary dragons?

siganizq4.gif

You can't tell as the land is more technologically advance in some area's than others. Take getting around for instance, they have a train. Take range, they have a cannon. Now take melee, they only have swords and anchors and other things that are used to bash smoeones head in.

Barrows drops: Torags pl8, Torgas legs, Guthans chainskirt

party hats/santa/h'ween masks dont exist*, hot air balloons arent till the 1700's, mine carts wernt used until the 1800's, the armor is scattered between 3rd age** + and magic and dragons dont even exist unless jesus is hiding something ***:|. they would need to remove lots to re-base the game in a proper time era.**** and no phats would realy piss players off. my red phat on some hacknig noob would be gone. <.<

*I suppose that makes a big difference?

**???

***You find the time period by comparing Runescape's technology, culture, and philosophy among other things with time periods in real life. Magic, dragons, and other made-up things don't affect it.

****Way back then (in real life), a lot of different civilizations appeared to be in different time periods.

You people are too literal. I'm asking you for what time period RS most closely resembles, not a completely accurate and specific date. There's a lot of technology that shouldn't have existed back then, but just ignore them.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

Obviously, the dwarves and humans are set in different time periods. How about you just put a date for each of them and ignore the unreasonably modern aspects of the game (hot air balloons, holiday events)?

Exactly, no one seems to think about the fact that the actual world is only influenced by humans, while in runescape each race is at different tech eras. So take out the gliders, cannons, coal trucks, and whatnot (all non-human things), and you'll see the humans in runescape are actually quite primitive.

To put a date, it would be around 500-1000 AD, seeing that the most advanced thing the Humans have is running water. On the other hand, the dwarves have everything from blast furnaces to fully automatic repeating-cannons. They would be somewhere between the 1700's to 1900's.

Gnomes would be 1200-1500s, Elves around the same as Humans, and Trolls and Ogres in the Triassic period.

The humans have cannons, you just can't use them. They are, as I said earlier, around late 1400s to early 1500s (early Renaissance). Also, their conventional weaponry is far more advanced than in the 500-1000 era. Longbows and plate armor didn't appear until the 1200s, and crossbows the 1300s.

I would place the dwarves at the late 1600s.

Also, I haven't seen anyone try to determine Runescape's time period politically. During the Middle Ages, most of Europe was using the feudal system. Feudalism ended in the 1400s. It is clear that the feudal system is not in use in Runescape, as the only sign of it is Draynor Manor, which is abandoned.

I forgot about those cannons sitting on the walls. Maybe around the 1200's-1300's then. As for plate armor, it existed back in Ancient Greece and Rome. Longbows were ancient design too, just got popularized by the English Longbowmen. But crossbows were medieval, so it may be a marker for the time period of runescape.

Actually, there are traces of feudalism. Lumbridge is a "vassal" of Varrok (i read that somewhere), and there are various classes of the npc's (farmers, knights, duke, king, etc).

Life is a joke. Yeah, I don't get it either.

Obviously, the dwarves and humans are set in different time periods. How about you just put a date for each of them and ignore the unreasonably modern aspects of the game (hot air balloons, holiday events)?

Exactly, no one seems to think about the fact that the actual world is only influenced by humans, while in runescape each race is at different tech eras. So take out the gliders, cannons, coal trucks, and whatnot (all non-human things), and you'll see the humans in runescape are actually quite primitive.

To put a date, it would be around 500-1000 AD, seeing that the most advanced thing the Humans have is running water. On the other hand, the dwarves have everything from blast furnaces to fully automatic repeating-cannons. They would be somewhere between the 1700's to 1900's.

Gnomes would be 1200-1500s, Elves around the same as Humans, and Trolls and Ogres in the Triassic period.

The humans have cannons, you just can't use them. They are, as I said earlier, around late 1400s to early 1500s (early Renaissance). Also, their conventional weaponry is far more advanced than in the 500-1000 era. Longbows and plate armor didn't appear until the 1200s, and crossbows the 1300s.

I would place the dwarves at the late 1600s.

Also, I haven't seen anyone try to determine Runescape's time period politically. During the Middle Ages, most of Europe was using the feudal system. Feudalism ended in the 1400s. It is clear that the feudal system is not in use in Runescape, as the only sign of it is Draynor Manor, which is abandoned.

I forgot about those cannons sitting on the walls. Maybe around the 1200's-1300's then. As for plate armor, it existed back in Ancient Greece and Rome. Longbows were ancient design too, just got popularized by the English Longbowmen. But crossbows were medieval, so it may be a marker for the time period of runescape.

Actually, there are traces of feudalism. Lumbridge is a "vassal" of Varrok (i read that somewhere), and there are various classes of the npc's (farmers, knights, duke, king, etc).

Duke Horacio seems to be more of a governor rather than a noble. The plate armor in Runescape is of a design that dates to the 1200s.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

Not the end of discussion.

I changed the title to better fit the discussion.

I would say late Middle Ages, mostly because of medicine. :)

I don't run races to see who's the fastest, I run to see who has the most guts. -Pre

thewho2.jpg

Currently the best beat out there:

Minuit jacuzzi (DatA Remix) - TEPR

You can't put this in a time era because its an Island on its own and other lands/ continents could be much more advanced with lasers and cars. while the people of "Geilenor" (runescape) focused on advancing in magics and different arts, so It's sorta like when I europeans found "the new world" (america). the natives of the time had different technologies and ways of hunting, some ways better than the europeans... So in conclusion you can't just say the year/era it must also be a place such as 1670 Britan... (u get the picture) ::'

range- 69/70 ~ currently poor but with good stuff

strength- 64/70 ~go461-combat 71~

Runescape is not that different from real life if you look at it closely.

I is set in the traditional fantasy medieval-esque time period

Most features of this mythological time span match medieval middleages, but also features common features of magic and magical creatures eg gnomes dwarves elves fairies orcs etc

There can't be any precise date as the fantasty medieval-esque time period in which rs, wow, lotr etc is set is pure ficiton

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Oh yeah, i walk into a forest and a man with a knife will attack me. Then i retaliate and he suddenly prays to god so i can't hit him.

Oh yes.

If anyone remembers me... PM ME. having nostaligia issues D:

Oh yeah, i walk into a forest and a man with a knife will attack me. Then i retaliate and he suddenly prays to god so i can't hit him.

Oh yes.

hhmm yes that does happen so often in-real life.

Or at least it does when I'm not deflecting a dragons fire breath with a magical shield before freezing it solid with my magical powers.

Or when I'm dodging elves, vampyres, giants, shadow beasts and such to grab random objects to save the population of the world.

I mean who can forget when ur born and innocently stumble into Lumbridge castle and end up helping the chef bake a cake before wandering off to explore the world.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Ehh, you can't place runescape into any real time of human history..? If runescape would be placed into middle ages, how do you explain hot air balloons...? Weren't they invented back in 1750 or something? -.-

Edit: yeah, just like xSxq posted above me :)

yeah they have things from times like the middle ages and the 1300's and 1400's, but they also have modern things like the balloons, banks, and even stuff like butterfly nets that are not that old

mini193.png

Doing a little bit of everything