Pure Essence! Did it really work?

Bobbington

One solution could be adding regular and pure essence to the Manage thy Kingdom resources. I doubt it would cut back on the number of auto-ers (see flax auto-ers), but I think it will decrease the price for essence. Effectively cutting the profit for the auto-ers.

Mining a lot of essence by yourself is quite a menial job: it costs time while hardly getting any experience in return. Turn on the essence mining option, come back once a day to keep your rating to 100% and voila, after a week you have 10k pure essence. Getting essence can't get much easier than that.

DutchDreams.png

One way to put a dent in the ess market could be to ban the mains selling 600k ess and 600k nats while the account only has 50 mining and 38 runecrafting. I'm not sure what the long term effects would be though.

Fear is your only God

guth8os.gif

walmart44.png

One solution could be adding regular and pure essence to the Manage thy Kingdom resources. I doubt it would cut back on the number of auto-ers (see flax auto-ers), but I think it will decrease the price for essence. Effectively cutting the profit for the auto-ers.

Let's see the pros and cons of this:

Pro

- a good reward for those who do quests

- no need to mine your own p ess,which most people hate

- ess price becomes more stable

- it is a decent money drain

Con

- true players who mine (pure) ess will lose business

- may not provide enough ess for rcers, thus the bots may still thrive

Overall, I'd say this is a good idea, you should suggest this on the RSOF. :thumbsup:

Before I thought that pure essence had no effect, but after reading this I realized it just made things worse. Sure you have to spend $5 per account to do it now, but it's so much more profitable than before (which is evident from all the p ess autoers walking around on every member world).

Paul needs to go take an economics class before he completely crashes the game. :shame:

Paul needs to go take an economics class before he completely crashes the game. :shame:

Now now! Paul is uber, I am sure nobody thought it would end up as it has.....

I actually belive it was Mod James B who made pure essence but dont quote that as true, he made the RC skill, the abyss, and combo runes etc..... so was probaly the Pure ess maker too.

(combo runes totlay failed in every way)

I like the idea of adding to possible kingdom loot though....... that would have an impact i feel.

sig2webzx7.jpg

One way to put a dent in the ess market could be to ban the mains selling 600k ess and 600k nats while the account only has 50 mining and 38 runecrafting. I'm not sure what the long term effects would be though.

I doubt this would do any good, becas TB@JT have no way of telling who is an autoer and who not simply by experience amonts.

lSEHB.gif

Being immature is a part of being mature.

The reason for high pure essence prices, is mostly that F2P cannot mine it, and most members have better things to do than mine essence which is bad exp. But, if F2P could mine pure ess, then the price would drop.

My idea, is to make F2P able to mine essence, but, require them to have 50 mining, and 40 runecrafting. This would deter macroers. It would also be beneficial to have Klankoas's idea with the pin, and maybe the aggresive monsters too.

2153_s.gif

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~Jonathan Swift

userbar_full.png

Website Updates/Corrections here. WE APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT! Crewbie's Missions!Contributor of the Day!

Thanks to artists: Destro3979, Guthix121, Shivers21, and Unoalexi.

IMO, pure essence was the worst update ever

it just gave bots an opportunity to make even more money -.-

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

In my view it has not done anything, but force macroers to buy membership. jagax has, in some ways incouraged them to macro, as prices jumped, and macroers are making a even bigger profit.

I think what Jagex is trying to do is focus a lot of banning on the side of players buying the gold. They know and understand that as long as there's demand, the autoers will be there. However, if you scare the buyers enough into not buying it anymore, the demand sharply decreases, and the bots numbers dwindle and move on because the game is no longer profitable.

Since selling Runescape gold online would be considered intellectual property theft, and buying it knowing that it's illegitimate material would also make the buyer responsible, I think Jagex should start throwing legal threats at the members who buy the gold. Mention that if they do in fact find and take action against a gold buying company, that they will subpoena the courts for a list of customers and go after them as well. Remember, a lot of the players who buy gold are American, a country where most will bend under the threat of legal action.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

It is a valid point.... really we have no hope of stopping the gold farmers, it is their customers we need to go after.

However it's my opinion that this should be as much the responsioblity of the wider community as it is of Jagex them selves, we need to take a stand.

sig2webzx7.jpg

Money can't buy community spirit! It can only be built by the community.

I wouldn't rely on community spirit to solve all my problems. I know if everyone would instantly report all the bots they see and stop buying from them they would be gone overnight. But anyone who thinks that is ever going to happen is doomed to fail.

If I were Jagex, I would try to make a program that could detect the cheaters easier (I doubt it's impossible if they just try), at least one more effective than what they currently have.

woah was it that long ago????

i hadnt even made botanreaper2 yet o.o o.o o.o

must have been on my first account that was a noob...

pure essence made nat crafting less profitable and hurt f2p that could have mined ess make money..

wtf i just cant believe that it was that long ago..

StarViv.png

It didn't work. I mean theres still a train of autoers at varrock east bank. And autoers are made 99% of the time to make irl cash. So if autoers are making another 75gp odd per essence then they can fork out for membership.

In the end, bots are now making three times the cash they used to. I really don' t think JAGeX is trying to stop autoers. If they wanted too, they would make some real security updates, not give them money...

RSN:Mico1311 Combat: 82 Highest skill: Fishing 75 Playing time: From around August 2003

The guy in my avatar is Veso, a comedian mastermind.

The fundamental problem is that rune essence was one of the few areas of the game which could be used to generate a reasonable amount of RuneScape money on a 'throwaway' low level free account. Normally to earn large amounts of money quickly you need to level up an account first, and then of course you care if it gets banned so our normal deterrant is effective.
Did they even know what they were talking about back then? Yew autoers don't manually play every one of their accounts to 60 wc. I think Jagex did figure that one out eventually, which is good. But it makes me wonder if they were full of it when they said other things too.

b6ebdf2a12.png

armycommandercopy.png

In my view it has not done anything, but force macroers to buy membership. jagax has, in some ways incouraged them to macro, as prices jumped, and macroers are making a even bigger profit.

I think what Jagex is trying to do is focus a lot of banning on the side of players buying the gold. They know and understand that as long as there's demand, the autoers will be there. However, if you scare the buyers enough into not buying it anymore, the demand sharply decreases, and the bots numbers dwindle and move on because the game is no longer profitable.

Since selling Runescape gold online would be considered intellectual property theft, and buying it knowing that it's illegitimate material would also make the buyer responsible, I think Jagex should start throwing legal threats at the members who buy the gold. Mention that if they do in fact find and take action against a gold buying company, that they will subpoena the courts for a list of customers and go after them as well. Remember, a lot of the players who buy gold are American, a country where most will bend under the threat of legal action.

That, I believe, is the way Jagex need to turn their attention. If they're already doing it, kudos to them. However, if they're not, I think this forum cold really provide them some insights as to how to make the game a better place. (And not only this debate! There are others that could definitely make TB@JT's life much easier.)

lSEHB.gif

Being immature is a part of being mature.

Definitely worse; the f2p/p2p divide was widened, the autoers are still around and making even more money, and f2p ess miners were left holding the bag.

The problem, as I see it, is pure ess is too profitable. If the legit players would stop being blinded by all that gp and charge less for their pure ess, then the bots/farmers would lose business, forcing them to lower their prices (and cut into their profits). Eventually, if everything went well, they'd lose too much profit and move on.

Admittedly, that's probably an over-optimistic view, but it could happen. We need to do something different; Jagex seems powerless to stop them, and if market manipulation is an option, then it's one that we've got to take control of, since the market is under our control.

cube347.jpg

Part of the Star Traks network. (^^Clicky!)

Irony: An amnesiac rediscovering they have an eidetic memory.