The Runescape Economic: Should Jagex intervere?

Behind_you0

Seems sorta unnecessary unless it's done for rares, which would be a little too much

you know if this were done with rares, no one would ever sell them to the dealer...

Unless they offered about 10m+ more than the street price...

of course, this would ruin the economy anyway. People only get mass amounts of geepee to buy rares, because all barrows is still only like 20m? which is the same as dfs...

newsigac5.png

It's really not about if they should interfere, but if they could interfere in the first place. We all know and understand by now that prices for everything from ashes to Party Hats are set by us players, and that if the players feel that prices need to be lowered or raised, they will be. Jagex has very little say over this.

The only thing they could do is figure out a way to buy all of the items in the game without causing too much disruption, kind of a 'stock exchange' if you will. Using only a theoretical "General Store"-type layout, they could directly control prices of various items by forcing players to use that and only that to trade. But, not only is that a theory, it's impractical -- no one's going to give away their freedom to set prices as they want just to bring balance to some 'economical system'.

There's a multitude of ways to resolve the longstanding issues of the RS Economy, but getting Jagex involved is not one of them.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

it would be like the central bank's loan rates. Imagine:

The central bank of runescape has announced, to curb deflation of the dragon square shield, a price increase of 100k in their buyback rate has been announced. No word yet on how long this will last.

lol, that would be interesting. It would add an interesting dynamic to the game. I would support it.

I read this.

I absorbed the information.

What I got was:

BOO HOO I can kill the old rare drop monsters and get the old rare items, but now they aren'tworth as much because there are better items and I can't kille the monsters to get them so pleas please intefer with the free market to save me having to train.

D med is rare, D full is BETTER and rarer hence d med drops

D sq is rare, dfire shield is BETTER and rarer hence d sq drops

See the pattern?

The prices drop becus the demand is gone to the better items.

Rs is an every growing ever changing game, u can't expect an item to not drop in value, simnply becuz there is ALWAYS going to be a better item released eventually.

What i read from your reply: I've been playing longer than you, i benefited from killing the old(at the time new) rare dropping monsters, and made lots of money from it, now im in a position to kill the new rare drop monsters and benefit again, i sneer in your direction, because having played longer means i don't have to worry about being a rude [puncture].

The idea is not an awful one, because really i don't think jagex intended any 'rare' item to become in effect worthless.

I do agree that new items making old items less desirable isn't the end of the world, but really whats the point in having a drop that is 1-10000 buts its real value is 250k, when a new drop with not much longer odds of being dropped is worth 20-50 times as much.

At the end of the day I'm not sure Jagex will be able to make much difference to the decline of the price of rare drops as it's following general economic theory: supply and demand.

The D full has better stats and is a rare drop. People desire to have it, there aren't many of them around so the price remains high.

The D med has lesser stats. While it still maybe a rare drop the desire to obtain the item has declined in favour of the D full, as such people are willing to pay less for it. The other side of this of course is that as more people are buying the more desirable D full less D meds will sell, thus raising the amount of D meds on the market (increasing their supply), forcing people to compete by offering lower prices.

As such while Jagex maybe able to implement new systems, or adjust old systems, to provide items with a base sale price items will always drop substantially from their original sale price. If people simply aren't willing to pay a high price for an item then it just isn't going to sell for that price. As people have pointed out, items that were expensive when the game started are now very cheap due to years of new, better, and more desirable items being fed into the runescape economy over the years.

This is how economics works, would you buy an old 486 processor for the same price of a modern core 2 quad? Sure when the 486 was cutting edge it was worth a lot but today it's "low stats" make it completely useless in the modern world and therefore not in demand. Likewise would you demand the same price for a addy 2h as a rune 2h simply because the addy 2h was there first even though it's stats are out gunned?

The Runescape economy, like the real world economy, is constantly changing and evolving. Things wonÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t stay the same forever, new ways of making money will always appear and the old ways will always be affected. The best you can do is go with the flow and adapt your money producing methods to fit the changing economy.

Check out my blog!

www.masarius.com

I like the general idea, but not the whole 'Secondhand trader' solution. I agree that the 250k price tag on dragon left halfs are riduclous! I mean the right half costs 750k and that is available anytime! It's just stuiped! Saying that, one thing that was intended with RuneScape is that it would be completly 'community based' - Doing something like this would take that away. Jagex are attempting to rise prices by adding updates (Like the Dragonfire shield, for example). I think give it some more time, see what Jagex can come up with and hopefully, we will see an increase in prices :)

One last thing: 750ea for raw sharks!! WTF?!?!

It would be interesting if it worked the other way, wouldn't it? That jagex offered a real low price, a little lower than high alching. Or if not buying, it sold? Imagine it selling perishables like bars or logs, unlimited but at a horrendously higher price than stores or players. It would be quite the money drain.

Life is a joke. Yeah, I don't get it either.

It would be interesting if it worked the other way, wouldn't it? That jagex offered a real low price, a little lower than high alching. Or if not buying, it sold? Imagine it selling perishables like bars or logs, unlimited but at a horrendously higher price than stores or players. It would be quite the money drain.

That would be a good idea for a money drain yes.

I'm glad this is turning into a bit of a discussion, any others who want to express their opinions?

sigdk2fa4.png

Here's my blog: restoring it soon | Achieved 99 Crafting

Quoting yourself is laaaaame

I think thats the oppsite of what jagex is wanting. I think one of the main reasons for construction being so expensive is because they want to take money out of the game. So by them taking items out of the game and giving high amounts of money for them would hurt the game more then help it. The reason the prices are going down on certain objects is because jagex's releasing better items, which then take the place as far as price goes aswell. If you want money for items, try geting 3rd age from a clue.

swordwarior.png

I read this.

I absorbed the information.

What I got was:

BOO HOO I can kill the old rare drop monsters and get the old rare items, but now they aren'tworth as much because there are better items and I can't kille the monsters to get them so pleas please intefer with the free market to save me having to train.

D med is rare, D full is BETTER and rarer hence d med drops

D sq is rare, dfire shield is BETTER and rarer hence d sq drops

See the pattern?

The prices drop becus the demand is gone to the better items.

Rs is an every growing ever changing game, u can't expect an item to not drop in value, simnply becuz there is ALWAYS going to be a better item released eventually.

What i read from your reply: I've been playing longer than you, i benefited from killing the old(at the time new) rare dropping monsters, and made lots of money from it, now im in a position to kill the new rare drop monsters and benefit again, i sneer in your direction, because having played longer means i don't have to worry about being a rude [puncture].

The idea is not an awful one, because really i don't think jagex intended any 'rare' item to become in effect worthless.

I do agree that new items making old items less desirable isn't the end of the world, but really whats the point in having a drop that is 1-10000 buts its real value is 250k, when a new drop with not much longer odds of being dropped is worth 20-50 times as much.

Unless you signed up in the first 2 weeks after rs was originally made public you did not start playing before me.

I still stand by my views, the econmy is a public thing shaped by players. Simple as.

If the item was rare enough for people to still willing pay 5milfor it it'd be 5mil

But when an item has become so so so so common (despite being a rare drop) people aren't willing to pay as much for it.

Jagex intefering would destory half of what makes rs unique.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I don't think they should. I think the inflation it will cuase will outwiegh the benefits of this. Slayer is becoming less rewarding everyday but I think it's up to jagex to make new updates to slayer to give it rewards worth working for, such as the dark bow and the black mask. They should make sure slayer has drops to keep up with rewards from other parts of the game. I love the free market ecomony runescape has, it makes things more unpredictable which adds a challege to the game.

well this all depends on weather this guy reads the current price trends. B/c if he buy's a whip for say 1.7 mil and the current price for whips between players is 1.8mil, will he get anywhere? No. But if he buys it for 1.9mil then buyers sell it to him and not lower lvls. Then the lower lvls raise there prices to say 2mil, and they get the whips again. So if this guy has ever changing prices that are higher than what it is between players than the economy is gone for that time, but if it's lower it basically the same as it was before now.

Seems sorta unnecessary unless it's done for rares, which would be a little too much

you know if this were done with rares, no one would ever sell them to the dealer...

Unless they offered about 10m+ more than the street price...

of course, this would ruin the economy anyway. People only get mass amounts of geepee to buy rares, because all barrows is still only like 20m? which is the same as dfs...

Even being offered over 10mil of current street price, Only a moron would do that.

For the fact of the matter is, if they did that deal and got the extra 10mil over street price...another one of that rare is gone for good, thus driving the price up as there are less people that have that rare for sale now.

If they refuse the offer of over 10m (or whatever amount) over current street value, then they are able to keep that rare untill someone is willing to offer more then what the "second hand dealer is offering". As long as the Dealer isnt able to resell these items sold to him. Then someone somewhere will find the 11mil to buy the item from the player to keep it in the game.

CLICK - 770th to 99 SLAYER 2/4/08 - 204th to 99 Summoning 7/1/08 CLICK

tifovsigev3.jpg

Druminator17.png

[Hide=List of Drops That I haven't updated in Years but want to keep in my Sig anyways...]VISAGE DROP - 12/06/07

3 Duo Sara Hilts, 3 Duo Arma Hilts, 2 Trio Arma Hilts.

Dark Bows: (11) Dragon Boots: (50!)

Whip Drops: (42!!!) Dragon Drops: (90+!!!!!) 2 D CHAINS!, 3 D Axe, 8 D meds, 7 left halfs, 7 D legs, 6 skirts, 8 Spears[/hide]

i was thinking of this but rs giving a note that says all rares will become untradeable at the end of this month

they would set up a shop in lumby that would have all the current rare prices that u could sell to get cash out of or if u wanted to keep the hat u wouldnt get anything

fulldragsigcopydh25.jpg

i was thinking of this but rs giving a note that says all rares will become untradeable at the end of this month

they would set up a shop in lumby that would have all the current rare prices that u could sell to get cash out of or if u wanted to keep the hat u wouldnt get anything

Why would they do that? Jagex did a great job with rares. If it wasn't for rares, a lot of people wouldn't bust their [wagon] to work on different ways to get GP.

Rares = healthy economy

Only jealous people would want rares to disappear

I've only just re-introduced myself in the game but here's my take on the topic.

If you were to make (Slayer/Hunter) Shops (a trade shop) both P2P and F2P you'd have NPC's willing to buy items at set prices. (You could set a quest or quest points limit to enter the premesis).

The only items they would buy is DROPPED LOOTED items. Anything player created or spawns goes out of the question as it can be abused. It would give Jagex an oppurtunity to add alot of new items as well.

Of course there is a flaw(s?). Items already collected would raise in value. That means a high level with 10 dragon meds could keep 2 for himself priced at 3.5m when obtained, sell the rest to the npc for 10mil. (excuse the prices).

*If there wasn't a bunch of level 3's whoring trees, essences and fish there wouldn't be such a problem. I swear if an admin sat on a server for 10 minutes watching 20x level 3 characters in the same outfit doing macro runs they could ban them and stop millions being pumped out by them throughout the week.

RSN: aar0j

untitled1copyod7.jpg

created 24/08/07