Clan Leaders

Bufoman

Hello every one.

I would like to start a discussion about what you think are the core traits that a clan leader should have. or for that matter that any leader should have. and also the flaws that you have seen in either yourself as a leader or others. for the latter please do not name names as its against the rules here.

I suppose I will start.

Qualitys:

Authoritive, handles stress well, receptive to critisisim, flexable, works well with others.

Flaws: egomania, paranoia, irritable, has little or no respect for those under his command, and a compleate intolerence for other peoples oppinions and views.

well those are the ones I came up with, their are plenty of others I am sure.

Clan Moderator from December 15th 2006- August 20th 2007

Founder of: Terran Gamers, formerly known as Militos Deci

Qualitys:

Freindly, Knowledgeable about the clan world, listens to others, patience, active, able to handle stress, mature, flexible, listens to others opinons and suggestions.

pan.png

thanks for the replies every one.

I too know that being irritable is a major flaw in a leader. but some times when people will not follow a lawfull command you give becouse they don't agree with it can be rather difficult to keep your cool.

yes I suffer from this flaw, however recogniseing that you have such a flaw like this can help you to deal with it. naturly I did not just let them off the hook for that one. aculy it was the prospect of being punished I belive that caused alot of people to leave. that was a rather unfortunate incedent, and Im going off topic.

my apologies.

he also need that x-factor :)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

yeah...

also known as that little spark that makes him stand out and outstanding as leader

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Interesting topic, Bufo. :-k

All the good traits seem to have been mentioned already, I can't think of anymore. :(

Have you considered making a list of these traits? As you get more replies you could build it up and make a list for future clan leaders to look up to. :)

EDIT: Just thought of one while looking at Bufo's second post. One of the traits a leader would definately have to have is being able to recognize and eliminate flaws. :)

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

Qualities: Assertive, enforces rules, active, hard working, determined, respect.

Faults: Laziness, disrespect, profanity.

That is honestly a very good point. I've never heard that mentioned before, but you you think about it that is true.

Just about all of the good qualities have been mentioned, including the "X-Factor" Storm mentioned. Basicly what is is saying is the ability to lead, if you don't have that, you will probably struggle.

I shall take my flock underneath my own wing, and kick them right the [bleep] out of the tree. If they were meant to fly, they won't break their necks on the concrete.
So, what is 1.111... equal to?

10/9.

Please don't continue.

wm1c2w.jpg

ahh- profanity. yes that can be a big problem such as calling your subordenents names. I once was second in command of a clan and the leader called me names and treated me like garbage. I took around 90 percent of its members with me when I left to form the old Knights Of Honour which later fell apart after I took a break from runescape.

to be fair most of them I brought into that clan any way's so its not like it was a mutiny or any thing- at that time I just wanted some one else to lead and me to enforce. I have learned through experionce however that finding a good leader to serve under is difficult if not impossible. it seems to involve lots of trial and error, and a bit of luck.

Honor, Honesty, Intregity, intelligence and a clear purpose of what they are leading me towards.

I also cannot follow someone who has poor spelling, bad manners or an inflated ego.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Poor Spelling- thats something I strugle with every day. I suppose you all have probaly noticed what does get by me by now.

it has been suggested that I compile a very large list of these traits, this is something I shall take into advisement but at the present I lack the time required for such an undertakeing.

Its your choice not to follow some one with poor spelling, but if they are of good charicter and have a good mind then I wouldent hold it against them.

Honor, Honesty, Intregity, intelligence and a clear purpose of what they are leading me towards.

I also cannot follow someone who has poor spelling, bad manners or an inflated ego.

I agree with the last two, but was the bad spelling just a cheap shot a Bufo?

I shall take my flock underneath my own wing, and kick them right the [bleep] out of the tree. If they were meant to fly, they won't break their necks on the concrete.

10/9.

Please don't continue.

wm1c2w.jpg

I don't think it was. You have probably seen the clan leaders out there who talk like dis all da time and itz cuz they think itz sooo kewl. Who would respect that?

I give Bufo some credit for at least trying to fix his problem.

Now about my profanity comment. WHen I said profanity, I meant offensive or excessive profanity. Throwing in a word every so often doesn't hurt; it actually helps loosen up situations a bit. But when a clan leader start cussing out his or her members or uses too much profanity on a daily basis, that's just wrong.

*-P.K.M-* Website

Dbzruler72.jpeg

mostorganized2.jpg

I don't think it was. You have probably seen the clan leaders out there who talk like dis all da time and itz cuz they think itz sooo kewl. Who would respect that?

Lol, you used to talk like that. :XD:

Anyway.. I feel that a clan leader has to be respectful towards his/her clan members, deals with stress well, has determination and knows how to deal with situations.

j0xPu5R.png

I give Bufo some credit for at least trying to fix his problem.

Correct. I work in a field where I do both phone and email support for an ISP, I am required by my job to have fairly strong writing skills, and I have problems reading "l33t speak" and generally if I have to read the post more than once to understand the intent of the post, I get annoyed. I would like to think in a written world of forums and chat rooms, your words are a vast majority of your self reflection, someone who uses txt speak (cell phone speak drives me nuts) or l33t speak, is automatically a leader I have no desire to follow. Spelling used to be a weakness of mine, but research papers, and from comments from clan members and my job forced me to acquire those skills.

I feel if I am to follow you in a clan, you must be able to present your ideas in a clear and logical manner. MY boss says an email with typos is sloppy and generally makes you look to be perceived unintelligent. so I carry the same beliefs. If you emailed your isp and got a mistyped response back, what would you think?

If a clan leader is going to make a serious announcement, recruitment post or anything officious, it best damned be spell checked and sound logical (Unless English is not the native language and then thats a new story) or else it feels like the leader does not care enough to bother writing up a professional post and thus does not care about his/her clan.

I did the same practice during my 3 years of leadership of clans, So I expect the same, professional and lots of effort into running a very nice top notch clan.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Lol, you used to talk like that. :XD:

Anyway.. I feel that a clan leader has to be respectful towards his/her clan members, deals with stress well, has determination and knows how to deal with situations.

I know. It's why I changed. I still feel embarrassed whenever I look at my old "welcome" threads on the *-P.K.M-* forums. (Don't edit them though, I like to keep history unmodified :))

Correct. I work in a field where I do both phone and email support for an ISP, I am required by my job to have fairly strong writing skills, and I have problems reading "l33t speak" and generally if I have to read the post more than once to understand the intent of the post, I get annoyed. I would like to think in a written world of forums and chat rooms, your words are a vast majority of your self reflection, someone who uses txt speak (cell phone speak drives me nuts) or l33t speak, is automatically a leader I have no desire to follow. Spelling used to be a weakness of mine, but research papers, and from comments from clan members and my job forced me to acquire those skills.

I feel if I am to follow you in a clan, you must be able to present your ideas in a clear and logical manner. MY boss says an email with typos is sloppy and generally makes you look to be perceived unintelligent. so I carry the same beliefs. If you emailed your isp and got a mistyped response back, what would you think?

If a clan leader is going to make a serious announcement, recruitment post or anything officious, it best damned be spell checked and sound logical (Unless English is not the native language and then thats a new story) or else it feels like the leader does not care enough to bother writing up a professional post and thus does not care about his/her clan.

I did the same practice during my 3 years of leadership of clans, So I expect the same, professional and lots of effort into running a very nice top notch clan.

I like the job. I know what you mean, too. I've noticed that whenever I read leet speak, I end up reading abnormally slow. It's frustrating to read people's wannabe "cool" talk. But I bet they'll get better as they age.

*-P.K.M-* Website

Dbzruler72.jpeg

mostorganized2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Qualities:

#1 Knowing where the fine line between friendship and leadership should be drawn.

#2 Leading from the front and as example.

#3 Passion and a cool head in equal measure.

Flaws

#1 Considering yourself better than others solely on rank.

#2 Forcing clan members to refer to you as royalty. :-# =;

diggumup.png

Qualities:

#1 Knowing where the fine line between friendship and leadership should be drawn. Very true. I have had problems with that in the past, but I'm starting to get better about that.

#2 Leading from the front and as example. Right.

#3 Passion and a cool head in equal measure. Right

Flaws

#1 Considering yourself better than others solely on rank. Yeah, I hate it when people do that, never was a problem in my clan though.

#2 Forcing clan members to refer to you as royalty. :-# =; I know a nice clan from around here that does that, and if they don't mind calling thier leader, I'm ok with it. Myself? I'm kind of unconfortable calling someone over the internet "King" or "your majesty". I guess thats just my personal preference, as it IS a Role playing game.

10/9.

Please don't continue.

wm1c2w.jpg

Qualities:

#1 Knowing where the fine line between friendship and leadership should be drawn. Very true. I have had problems with that in the past, but I'm starting to get better about that.

#2 Leading from the front and as example. Right.

#3 Passion and a cool head in equal measure. Right

Flaws

#1 Considering yourself better than others solely on rank. Yeah, I hate it when people do that, never was a problem in my clan though.

#2 Forcing clan members to refer to you as royalty. :-# =; I know a nice clan from around here that does that, and if they don't mind calling thier leader, I'm ok with it. Myself? I'm kind of unconfortable calling someone over the internet "King" or "your majesty". I guess thats just my personal preference, as it IS a Role playing game.

now with wild goat's and diggumups powers combined they are captain best answer so far

:D

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

Charisma, some leaders are just so charismatic that people will always follow them examples in the clan community are:

Raimus

Livinlarge21

Interdictor2 < I would follow chris to the gates of hell, but not to The World of Warcraft.

Jerico

Joe jenninz

Dark chicken

X dragon X

Tebo

These people have a lot of charisma, some of them are bad leaders, a lot of them are amazing leaders, but they all have a spark that makes people want to follow them.