Any reason to use crystal bows anymore?

ikraz66

Correct me if i'm wrong. Rune crossbows fire at the same rate as crystal bows, and with a zammy book, have nearly the same range bonus as a FULL crystal bow, except they never degrade.

OK, this is the part i'm unsure of. Is it true that addy bolts hit as hard as the crystal bow? With the ava's accumulator, this is a much cheaper, easier method to level range. So is there still any reason to use my crystal bow?

Edit: im not positive c bow "arrows" hit as high as addy bolts or not. that is just a guess.

shoelacesareuntiedti8.jpg

Proud owner of a Quest cape!

It's just mainly used for Castle Wars+Fire gaints now. Due to it's cheap cost for 2500 shots peopl do use them if they will get their $$ back.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Actually msb with rune arrows shoots 1.5 times as fast as the crystal bow, allows you to collect arrows, and on average is slightly weaker but also a lot cheaper than the crystal bow shots due to recyclability. So crystal bow isn't really that great.

RSN: Manaleak

Actually msb with rune arrows shoots 1.5 times as fast as the crystal bow, allows you to collect arrows, and on average is slightly weaker but also a lot cheaper than the crystal bow shots due to recyclability. So crystal bow isn't really that great.

Erm, I though Cbow was the fastest bow in the game... Thats why everyone used it :-#

Erm, I though Cbow was the fastest bow in the game... Thats why everyone used it :-#

No, it's slow. Same speed as battleaxes. I think crystal bows are the same speed as longswords, and shortbows the same as scimitars. C bows can hit up to 60. That's why everyone uses it.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

No, it's slow. Same speed as battleaxes. I think crystal bows are the same speed as longswords, and shortbows the same as scimitars. C bows can hit up to 60. That's why everyone uses it.

not everyone can afford 10k-20k bolts.

I went from 61-74 using rune c bow and addy bolts at blue drags making big profit.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

hmm, i just killed a few black dragons with addy bolts, and i'm not sure if they're really cheaper than crystal bows with 180k charge or not. It's pretty close so I guess its a matter of preference. The rune c bow is still MUCH more versatile, but I guess the main reason to use the crystal bow is if the accumulator wont work (bad safespot or CW?)

cheapest way to get thourgh the fight caves

I used mith bolts. That way was much easier. I switched to diamond (e) for jad. I still havent gotten fire cape yet, but I did make it to the healers. This takes about 500 mith bolts. Thats about 75k compared to 180k for c bows. 360k if you bring a fresh bow for jad. What's the cheapest way now? :twisted:

cheapest way to get thourgh the fight caves

I used mith bolts. That way was much easier. I switched to diamond (e) for jad. I still havent gotten fire cape yet, but I did make it to the healers. This takes about 500 mith bolts. Thats about 75k compared to 180k for c bows. 360k if you bring a fresh bow for jad. What's the cheapest way now? :twisted:

:shock: looks like i was worng :shock:

tom_clancy8.png

tom_clancy8.png

Tom_Clancy8.png

C bow is 180k but you won't go through 20 charges to get to Jad. At 80 range only takes 6 charges. C bow has better range and I used before xbow was improved. I use out of habit andmoney invested. I have 6 bows.

nopheo.png

Nopheo.png

I've been considering this same question for a long time.

Crystal bows are indeed faster then crossbows. In terms of seconds between each shot:

Crystal Bow: 3.03

Crystal Bow (rapid): 2.43

Crossbow (normal, phoenix, blurite or any metal): 3.655

Crossbow (rapid): 3.03

Credit goes to a guy named Guthix God for finding this out.

I believe that a crystal bow max hit is anywhere between 25% - 20% of your ranged level, depending on it's charged status. It's hard to say, but from what I've seen a plain addy crossbow bolt max hit is somewhere around 30% of your ranged level.

If these assumptions are correct, in terms of average damage per second at level 80 ranged using rapid attack, you get 4.0 for the addy bolt, 4.1 for the fully charged crystal bow, and 3.3 for the lowest charge state.

Looking at costs, each crystal bow shot comes out to about 72 gp each (180k / 2500), and if addy bolts are 360 each, assuming a 20% loss rate, that will also be 72 gp for each shot.

Seems like the rune crossbow and addy bolts are the winner here, overall, though I can see how the crystal bow would be useful in certain situations.

Edit: made some clarifications.

"Less is more" -- Mies

I've been considering this same question for a long time.

Crystal bows are indeed faster then crossbows. In terms of seconds between each shot:

Crystal Bow: 3.03

Crystal Bow (rapid): 2.43

Crossbow (normal, phoenix, blurite or any metal): 3.655

Crossbow (rapid): 3.03

Credit goes to a guy named Guthix God for finding this out.

I believe that a crystal bow max hit is anywhere between 25% - 20% of your ranged level, depending on it's charged status. It's hard to say, but from what I've seen a plain addy crossbow bolt max hit is somewhere around 30% of your ranged level.

If these assumptions are correct, in terms of average damage per second at level 80 ranged using rapid attack, you get 4.0 for the addy bolt, 4.1 for the fully charged crystal bow, and 3.3 for the lowest charge state.

Looking at costs, each crystal bow shot comes out to about 72 gp each (180k / 2500), and if addy bolts are 360 each, assuming a 20% loss rate, that will also be 72 gp for each shot.

Seems like the rune crossbow and addy bolts are the winner here, overall, though I can see how the crystal bow would be useful in certain situations.

Edit: made some clarifications.

This is a good analysis, although addy bolts only cost about 300 each now, meaning it's even cheaper. If you switch to a degrade bow before your full c bow degrades, you may get even faster exp though.

There are still a few reasons. For starters, a crystal bow can shoot farther, and so could be more usefull if you need to range from farther away. Also, though i do disaprove of it, ut is the ONLY way to 1 item pk using range.

D Bow + 5 D arrows works nice, I hear.

Cbows are much easier to use in cw. Not having to pick up your arrows is a big advantage. Its the best range weapon by far if cost is an issue in Cw or somwere youre unable to use an accumilator.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^