Clan Chat Spammers

Georgelemmons

I have not seen this adressed at all, but it's a huge problem. Most clan chat spammers use a technique called jumping. They type their message, then join, send it, and jump out, all within seconds. This makes it very hard for channel admins to kick them. THERE NEEDS TO BE A WAY FOR ADMINS TO BAN PEOPLE FROM THE CHAT WHEN THEY ARENT IN IT!!!!!!!! I know that makes little sense, but once u experience it, you'll know.

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

You were referring to lightning chat? The owner of the chat isn't even active in RS nor TIF anymore. She could just add them to ignore list and those people are permanently banned from chat.

Strangely with WotLK so near, I wished I could delay it a bit to push through that last TBC content in MH/BT :'(.

You were referring to lightning chat? The owner of the chat isn't even active in RS nor TIF anymore. She could just add them to ignore list and those people are permanently banned from chat.

Ahh... Yes, we all know she's gone. :cry: But your statement makes no sense. You say she's gone, then say she could just add them to ignore. Huh? Anyway, her chat remains active. I was referring to the fact that without the leader online, there is almost no way to get the spammers off the channel.

1ekn0o.jpg

Ahh... Yes, we all know she's gone. :cry: But your statement makes no sense. You say she's gone, then say she could just add them to ignore. Huh? Anyway, her chat remains active. I was referring to the fact that without the leader online, there is almost no way to get the spammers off the channel.

I meant if she was still around, adding them to ignore could permanently prevent them from entering the chat. Mods could also stare at the list and kick the instant they enter, but kicking only restricts entry for next 1 hour. Your best solution is however, just report them and add them to your ignore

Strangely with WotLK so near, I wished I could delay it a bit to push through that last TBC content in MH/BT :'(.

THERE NEEDS TO BE A WAY FOR ADMINS TO BAN PEOPLE FROM THE CHAT WHEN THEY ARENT IN IT!!!!!!!!

Add the name to the ignore list.

That may work for a bit, but eventually your ignore list is going to get full. I have personally seen over 40 different spammers on lightning chat, and I assume there are several more.

For the jumping technique- there is a way to counter it. Tell the admins to keep their cursor under whatever letter in the chatlist the spammer's name starts with. Once the spammer joins, the admin quicky kicks him/her. This can be done with fairly decent reflexes.

Of course, this can put a lot of unecessary stress on the admins. I wouldn't mind an update that will either making kicking periods longer or give admins the ability to kick people even when they are not in the chat. :)

Or make infinate storage on the ignore list!

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

Not really needed. Just deleted the first few people on the top of your ignore list if you run out of space. Chances are they've been banned or muted by now. Well they have in my case.

On topic: Yeah it's really annoying especially when certain people (not mentioning names) come into the tip.it chat for the sole purpose of spamming and make separate accounts just for spamming. I've seen names come into Lightning's chat with _spammer as their account.

reddragon.jpg

MSSW3-Banner.gif

People have been saying just add to the admin's ignore list. There are a couple of problems with this. One of which is ignore lists take only 100 names, as I myself use my ignore list mainly for a notebook for fairy ring codes this could prove to be verrrry annoying for that admins having a very full ignore list. Secondly, in the case of the tip.it chat channel, lightning isn't active anymore and so cannot add people to the ignore list anyway.

A solution to this would be for high ranking mods to also have the power to add names to an ignore list which would belong to the channel itself. I think that Jagex need to do some remodelling to the clan chat system.

Sig.jpg

THERE NEEDS TO BE A WAY FOR ADMINS TO BAN PEOPLE FROM THE CHAT WHEN THEY ARENT IN IT!!!!!!!!

Add the name to the ignore list.

That may work for a bit, but eventually your ignore list is going to get full. I have personally seen over 40 different spammers on lightning chat, and I assume there are several more.

For the jumping technique- there is a way to counter it. Tell the admins to keep their cursor under whatever letter in the chatlist the spammer's name starts with. Once the spammer joins, the admin quicky kicks him/her. This can be done with fairly decent reflexes.

Of course, this can put a lot of unecessary stress on the admins. I wouldn't mind an update that will either making kicking periods longer or give admins the ability to kick people even when they are not in the chat. :)

Exactly my point :D

1ekn0o.jpg

On a very bad spam day (no admins online at that moment), I did add the spammers to my ignore list, but since everyone else didn't, the discussion i saw after that was mostly other people talking about the spammers or telling the spammers to shut up... which was almost as boring as the spamming to begin with #-o

ooo I wish i could ban those spammers that come in lightning. I especially wish i could ban those spammers that imposter people's name all they do is cause a rant within chat and cause people to look left and right to figure who the spammer's main account is. ^_^

postedimage.png

unfortunatly moderators can only mute mass spamming at say 20+ people spamming about bug abusing or offencive language.

ot: it would be good for a delay in their name before they log out so that way we can catch them before the get away with it or an extra area were chat generals etc can add to the list to have them banned etc. i think the chat ban list would be usefull in lightning's chat situation though the spammers have died down sice spring break or whatever it is has ended.

Popoto.~<3

Yeah it can be annoying, but its also funny sometimes to see the screen sudenly fill up with "@@@@" signs. Ironically lightning chat is already spammy, it just isnt in the conventional form of filling the screen with signs.

GF TIF.

9 November 2006 - 22 January 2008, when I could no longer stand the painted turd that is the Tip.It community. Only posting in rants.

lightning chat is empty because the mods are all inactive or terrible, so spammers just use the "jumping technique" if mods are on, but most of the time there is no mods. the mods just ban innocent people for random reasons or "By accident" because of their name taking the space of a spammers name when the spammer uses the jumping technique (probably jsut an excuse to kick random people though)

lightning chat is empty because the mods are all inactive or terrible, so spammers just use the "jumping technique" if mods are on, but most of the time there is no mods. the mods just ban innocent people for random reasons or "By accident" because of their name taking the space of a spammers name when the spammer uses the jumping technique (probably jsut an excuse to kick random people though)

Lightning chat first of all is only empty in the wee morning or times when people are sleeping. It is usually crowded, and full of good conversation. Me and along with other mods usually ignore them at first, especially if they are a spammer that we know have good reflexes (example: Rsw44 Spam, Aura Reigns, Adamrexispam) and just try to talk them into how pathetically they are spamming until they stop. You should not wrap yourself into flaming the Lighning clan chat moderators as you got kicked there once and you are now angry. People do have proof you did spam at that time. I dont think you should fret over being kicked once for spamming at lightning chat and instead move on, and if you want to come to the channel and join the convo with us, go ahead.

postedimage.png

I'd love to see you do a better job.

Lightning's chat mods are lovely, I HIGHLY doubt they'd use spammers as an excuse to kick people.

I've been kicked before instead of Rsw44 Spam, sh..tuff happens, get over it. Talk on other clans or to other people for the next hour, then re-join Lightning's chat

..Actually, don't rejoin it until you've had an attitude fix. The mods are not 'terrible', they're usually efficient and incredibly nice people.

GROW UP!!

Iron_0utkast.png

Maxed 15/06/13